COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best PS3 Deals

Top PS3 Deals, Cheap PS3 Games!
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Lego Marvel Super Heroes (PS3)
$19.99
South Park: The Stick of Truth (PS3)
$29.99
Atelier Rorona: The Alchemist Of Arland (PS3)
$26.45
Atelier Ayesha: The Alchemist of Dusk (PS3)
$29.99
Dynasty Warriors 8 (PS3)
$29.99
Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII (PS3)
$29.23
Minecraft Playstation 3 Edition (PS3)
$19.60
Tales of Symphonia Chronicles (PS3)
$19.99
Lost Planet 3 (PS3)
$14.69
Mugen Souls Z (PS3)
$29.80
Payday 2 (PS3)
$19.99
Demon's Souls (PS3)
$16.34
Infamous Collection (PS3)
$18.63
BioShock Infinite (PS3)
$19.99
Hatsune Miku: Project Diva F 2nd (PS3)
$49.96
Just Dance 4 (PS3)
$23.99
Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 ReMIX (PS3)
$19.94
The Elder Scrolls IV (PS3)
$12.99
NCAA Football 14 (PS3)
$29.96

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS3

Old 07-17-2009, 04:52 PM   #1

Sep 2008
Default Required Router Port Setups For Online PS3 Gaming

This post is a reprint from a post of mine on the RF:G and PS3-Killzone 2 Forum thread that has gotten some pretty good responses. I post it here in the hopes that anyone here who has had 'Network Drop" issues while gaming online will get some insight and knowledge on how to setup your Router and PS3.

Contrary to popular belief, when your game drops and you get a Network Error message, it's not due to the gaming server - it's due to your own Network Setup, at least in over 95% of the case. Occasionally, the game server will get overloaded or drop users, but it's usually when someone or more than one player has a bad connection and is causing problems throughout the game.

Most users have a phobia when it comes to Router setups - it is not that hard to learn, and it's a must if you take gaming seriously and wish to win. Those of you who don't wish to, or think it's too hard or not necessary. I can only say "Thanks" - the rest of us will always need Bullet Sponges to keep our K/D and W/L ratios high.

It is important to understand the relationship of Ports/Port Forwarding to your Online Gaming experience. Without the proper Router settings for a particular game, your PS3 and the Playstation Network, you will have a lot of Network and Game drops. If you're having more than 1 per hour, or even more than one every few hours, it's likely your Router isn't setup properly. I rarely get a game drop while playing, and I've been known to play continuously for 20 hours or more at a stretch.

The Playstation Network requires that your PS3 has access to certain Ports and Port Ranges in order for successful communications between your PS3 and the PSN, and your PS3 and other PS3's during an online MP match. The best indication is your Network Address Translation (NAT) Level, which can be found by running a Network Status check. Normal function requires a NAT 2 Level - a 1 or 3 means you're not communicating properly. Most newer Routers have a NAT setting that must be Enabled.

Contrary to what some think, the NAT level is not a specific setting that you can adjust. NAT must be enabled on your Router, as does UPnP (Plug 'n Play). The NAT level you see in the Network Status you run on your PS3 is an indication of how well your system is communicating. And realistically, if it's not a NAT level 2, you're not going to be connected anyway. This is apparent when you think you've got a NAT 2, but can't seem to initiate an online chat between yourself and other PS3 users. If it happens, check your NAT setting immediately after it happens - 99% of the time it's a NAT problem.

It's important to note that just because you might see a NAT 2 before you startup a game doesn't mean that's truly the case. It's only when you actually start playing, chatting, communicating with other PS3's that the true NAT level will be shown. Most people don't realize this is happening - when they get a problem, say in trying to establish a Chat conference, they'll just restart their PS3. If this happens to you, check your NAT Level immediately - odds are it'll show a 3.

In addition to Port requirements for the Playstation Network and the PS3, Sony Published Games (e.g., SOCOM, Killzone, etc.) also require specific Port Access between your PS3 and the Gaming Server for proper OLG. Third Party published games, like Call of Duty, have their own Port requirements, which can be obtained either by emailing them or checking their Support pages on their sites.

Newer Routers also have a function called Quality of Service (QoS), which is a very useful tool if you live in a house that has competing systems vying for access to your Router. QoS lets you setup your Games, Applications, etc., for Priority Access to the Router at all times when they're actively sending data over the Network. It's a good idea to learn how to use this feature if your Router has it. All N Routers have it, and most G Routers do, the newer ones anyway. Many newer Routers also have many popular online games already set in the QoS Panel - all you need to do is to select the game and activate it for QoS. Applications are another - for example, Skype is one application that is usually installed on a Router by the factory for QoS.

In general, Routers will usually have 3 types of Port setups - Single Port Forwarding, Port Range Forwarding, and Port Triggering. I personally use Port Range and Port Triggering, as well as QoS.

Here is the basic PS3/PSN Port Configuration Data for Sony published games and the Playstation Network. You can either set it up as a Port Forward, or Port Trigger, or as a QoS Online Game entry. I prefer Port Triggering and QoS.

Note that I'm copying some of this information directly from an email I got from SCEA when I asked for the Port Data for the SOCOM Beta last fall, so if some of it looks like it's from someone else, it's because it is.

If you're unfamiliar with Router setups, then go to your router manufacturer site and go to their support area. Many have basic networking tutorials, and the manual for your router will show you where the settings are. For those
who have Linksys Routers, I have added my own particular WRT600N Dual-Band N Router settings, including the Port Range / Port Trigger data I've added below.

For all PLAYSTATION 3 format software titles published by Sony Computer Entertainment America (SCEA):

ROUTER NAT AND UPnP MODES - ENABLED

*Note: Make sure to enable these TCP/UDP ports in BOTH directions.

TCP Ports: 10070 - 10080
UDP Ports: 10070
Voice Chat: UDP 6000-7000, 10070 (for headset operation)
Remote Play via Access Point: TCP 9293

PLAYSTATION Network:
TCP Ports: 80, 443, 5223
UDP Ports: 3478, 3479, 3658

It's easier to use Port Range Forwarding or Triggering instead of Single Port Forwarding. In those cases where there isn't a range but only a single port listed, your range is the same port, e.g., Range 5223-5223 for Port 5223.

FIREWALLS

How Do I Get Around My Firewall?
--------------------------------------------
If your PC or your router has a firewall, the easiest way to circumvent this problem is to connect your Ethernet cable directly from your cable or DSL modem to the PLAYSTATION 3 system.

If this option does not work, it is possible to configure your firewall to allow online traffic for your PLAYSTATION 3.

If you are able to create a successful network configuration file, but unable to connect to any game servers, verify that the firewall setup within your network is not preventing a valid connection. If your firewall is preventing a valid connection, you have several options:

1. Configure your firewall to allow information to flow in from the ports mentioned above.

2. If you are using a router, configure your router to run the PLAYSTATION 3 connection through a DMZ (de-militarized zone). DMZ configures your firewall in such a way that it places your PLAYSTATION 3 console outside of your firewall. A PLAYSTATION 3 in a DMZ can use and receive the entire Internet without any restrictions. (Caution: DMZ is not protected by a firewall.)

3. If you are not using a router, you may want to contact your Internet Service Provider (ISP) to see if there is anything on their network that can be adjusted to allow your connection.

If you do not have a firewall, please check with your ISP to verify there are no connection limitations. Also, you may want to ask if your ISP blocks certain Internet port ranges and supply them with the UDP and TCP port ranges in this email for verification.

IMPORTANT: Only advanced users or network administrators should attempt configuring firewalls. Sony does not recommend modifying your firewall unless you know exactly how it works. Each firewall is different and may require some type of custom setup.

It may be best to contact the manufacturer of the device (i.e. router) or publisher of the software (i.e. Norton, Sygate, etc.) for information on how to properly configure your firewall to allow online traffic for your PLAYSTATION 3.

For additional information which may be helpful to you. visit the "Online Gaming" section of PlayStation.com by clicking on the following link:
http://www.us.playstation.com/Games/Online

Additional Assistance - SCEA Consumer Services Department at (800) 345-7669. Monday through Saturday 6:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m., and Sunday 7:00 a.m. - 6:30 p.m., Pacific Standard Time.

Unfortunately, as I said before I can't help those who do not wish to take the basic responsibility to learn how to access their Router and make the basic port settings necessary to get optimum speeds and to make it work properly. This isn't Rocket Science, and I used to work in it. It is not that difficult to learn how to setup your Router. Computers and Network devices are not toasters or refrigerators - you cannot just plug them in, and expect them to work perfectly without any knowledge or maintenance required, though fully 80% of people treat them like that. Wired Ethernet is not as fast as wireless, though some might think so. Radio works at the speed of light - wired connections are limited by the conductor and connections they''re hooked to, though if your Wireless isn't setup properly it can be slower than Ethernet.

All Router manufacturers have basic tutorials on how to access and setup your Router. There is also a very good site that has good definitions and explanations on the different networking terms. The site is Broadband DSLReports. For Linksys owners, they have an excellent tutorial system on the Support section of their site. Also, 2 new programs, Speed Meter Pro and Network Magic are great for finding any "leaks" in your network signal. Other problem sources are interference objects such as transformers - cordless phone bases, microwaves, baby monitors, anything near your router that generates EMI or RFI.

If anyone has a Linksys Wireless N or Dual-Band Wireless N Router and wishes the settings from my personal Linksys 600N Dual-Band, I've added the setups from my Router below.

Prior to the procedures below, go to Linksys Support, look up your Router, then download the latest firmware update. If it's the same as what you have, then download that. Linksys Support Standard Procedure for any Linksys Router problem with speed or signal begins with flashing the firmware prior to adjusting any other settings. I've added settings for your Router to match your adapter since I have the same hardware.

You can look for your Router's firmware update here: Linksys Support

Enter your Model # and go from there to get the firmware update.

The following assumes you have a Linksys Single Band or Dual-Band Wireless N Router; though these settings are from my Linksys WRT600N Dual-Band, the Admin Panel is the same, except for the extra 5ghz Band setup on mine.

Just in case, I've also added the 5ghz settings. Note that these settings are for use with an external DBN Adapter connected to the PS3, which is setup to match the Router settings.

On your Router:

Access the Router Admin Panel & Wireless Settings from your Browser - http://192.168.1.1/BasicWirelessSettings.htm

Note that if you've never accessed your Router's Admin Panel before, the default User/PW is admin for both. This is posted on the Linksys site and is common knowledge. You should ALWAYS change your password immediately. If you ever forget your PW, you can always Reset your Router to factory settings that will clear the login/pw back to its original setting. The Reset button is usually recessed and you need a paper clip (unbent) or small pen tip to push it.

1. Click on the Administration link in the Admin Panel - it's on the right hand side.

2. At the very bottom, click on Backup Configurations -save the file to a convenient location on your drive. If you don't save your configuration, you'll have to setup your Router all over again if you've already made any custom changes.

The flashing process restores the Router to its default configuration.

3. After backing up the configuration, click on Firmware Upgrade (top right under Administration)

4. Where it says Select a File to upgrade, browse to the update you downloaded, then start the flashing process (flash means install).

5. After the process is completed, and still under the Administration tab, click on the Management link on the left side.

6. At the bottom, click on Restore Configurations. Go to the file you backed up earlier.

7. Check the following are enabled (check box checked) - UPnP (Plug 'n Play).

8. If you wish to have the ability to change your Router settings from your notebook via wireless connection, enable the following under Management also:

Web Access - Enable both HTTP and Web Utility Access via Wireless.

Remote Access - Remote Management - Enabled, Web Utility Access - HTTP, Remote Upgrade - Disabled (enable if you want remote firmware upgrade

ability),

Allow Remote IP Address - Any IP Address,

Remote Management Port -8080.

UPnP - UPnP MUST BE Enabled for PS3's,

Allow Users to Configure - Enable

Allow Users to Disable Internet Access - Disabled.

Click on "Save Settings" at the bottom of the window, and wait for the Router to complete the save. If you don't and you go to another panel, the settings will have to be done again.

After that, click on the Wireless tab, and Basic Wireless Settings.

2.4ghz Wireless Network Settings

1. Network Mode: Wireless N (Note: if you have wireless G devices on your network, then set your Network Mode to Mixed. ONLY use N if ALL YOUR NETWORK DEVICES are wireless N.)

2. Network Name (SSID) - Set to a unique name that you can recognize. Enable in checkbox at the bottom to broadcast.

3. Radio Band - 40mhz Standard Channel

4. Wide Channel - Auto (DFS)

5. Standard Channel - Should be grayed out.

6. SSID Broadcast - Enabled

Having a unique SSID broadcasted ensures that you or your family won't accidentally connect to a neighbor's network that may have a Linksys Router,
but whose owner didn't change the default SSID from "Linksys". With today's N routers and their ranges, it's easy to pick up another neighbor's network.

FOR DUAL-BAND WIRELESS N ROUTERS ONLY

For those of you who do not understand Dual-Band N, it's essentially having 2 separate networks on one Router. Wireless A is 5ghz, Wireless B & G are 2.4ghz - Wireless N (single band) is an overlapping of those 2 frequency bands.

Dual-Band, however, allows the user to access both frequencies individually and set them up as individual Networks - the advantage is that if you live in a home where the wife & kiddies, or your girlfriend, (or your wife's girlfriend) is
downloading MP3's and other useless data while you're doing important tasks like playing Killzone or Call of Duty, you can use one network band for gaming data and send all of their data over the other. Use the Quality of Service (QoS) feature of the Router, and you can then prioritize your gaming data by giving it priority access to your Router. The data on both networks doesn't interfere with each other, though overall speed is still going to be affected by your broadband service.

Is Dual-Band N worth it? Absolutely, but only if you use a DBN Gaming Adapter with your PS3 to get the N speeds out of it. The PS3's native wireless adapter is a Wireless G, so no matter how fast your network is your top speed isn't going to be more than 54mbps. N speeds average above 200mbps+, depending on the adapter and router involved and proper setup. I won't say anymore than that - you'll have to figure out the rest on your own as there are some things all gamers have that they don't want to share. Just remember that overall network speed is determined by the slowest network device, so if you have an N router with a PS3, it's still only going to connect at G speeds unless you use an adapter. Those who used a Wireless G adapter with the PS2 know what I'm referring to.

5ghz Wireless Network Settings

1. Network Mode: Wireless N Only (Note: Set to Mixed if you have other devices on your Network that aren't Wireless N. Wireless N Only should be used only if all of your Network Devices are N devices)

2. Network Name (SSID) - Set to a unique name that you can recognize. Enable in checkbox at the bottom to broadcast.

3. Radio Band - 40mhz Wide Channel

4. Wide Channel - Auto (DFS)

5. Standard Channel - Should be grayed out.

6. SSID Broadcast - Enabled

Save the settings when complete.

Click on Advanced Wireless Settings on the right side.

I have my particular Router's AP Isolation Enabled (default is disabled) since I have a lot of network devices and electronics. If you click on the Help link, it will explain what it is. You determine if you wish to enable yours or not.

Other settings: Check their actual settings against the defaults listed next to them, especially the N Transmission Rate and Transmission Power. If you have Dual-Band, it's the same for both the 2.4ghz and 5ghz networks. If they're all at default, then click on Wireless Security (no need to save unless you make a change).

Wireless Security- This is a personal choice, though I personally don't use any Encrypted Security because with N routers WPA2 causes multiple server drops during online gaming. It also affects your overall speed. Instead, I use MAC Address Filtering. If you want to use a Security setting, then use WPA2-Personal. Select AES for the encryption method, enter a passphrase (password), then save the settings. Set both to the same if you have a 5ghz network as well, unless you want to have 2 separate passwords. Remember that when you're done, you'll need to enter the passphrase into your Network Connection Profile on your notebook and any other system connecting to your Router. Save the changes. Realistically though, unless you're an Accountant or do a LOT of online purchasing....

When complete, click on Wireless MAC Filter.

Wireless MAC Filter - While you probably don't use this, I do instead of WPA2. What MAC filtering does is allow you to put every device on your network that you wish to have access to the Router on a list, using its MAC Address as the device ID. Once set, only devices on the filter will be able to have access to your network - any other systems or devices can't connect. All you need to do is to Enable the filter, and then add the MAC addresses for each device, including your systems, adapters, any wireless peripherals, etc.

If you need help finding the MAC's for your Network/System, go to your Control Panel, click on Performance and Tools, then Advanced Tools on the left column, then scroll down and click on View Advanced System Details in System Information.

In the System Info window, open out the System Summary tree, the click on the Components tree. Click again on Network, then Adapter. You'll have to scroll down, but you'll see all the MAC addresses - add them all. Make sure that under Access Restriction (top of filter list) that you enable "Permit PCs listed below access to the wireless network"

Save settings. Click on the Setup tab.

The following should be set:

1. Internet Connection Type - Automatic Configuration - DHCP

2. Optional Settings - Domain should already have your ISP domain information entered. MTU - Auto.

3. Router Address - s/b 192.168.1.1, which is the default for all Linksys Routers (and many other brands as well) but you can change it if you wish. Just remember what you change it to or you'll have to reset your Router to factory defaults.

4. DHCP Server - Enabled. Users - mine's set to 75, and my starting IP is 192.168.1.100. This is helpful if you run a PS3 and other devices and you want to separate their IP's into specific addresses that you want.

5. Time Zone - wherever you live.

Save Settings. Click on Advanced Routing, ensure that NAT (Network Address Translation) is Enabled. Save Settings if needed.

Click on Applications and Gaming.

There are different ways to get your Router to open the ports required for the PS Network, PS3-PS3 Communications, and specific

online gaming - Quality of Service (QoS), Single Port Forwarding, Port Range Forwarding, and Port Triggering. Personally I use Port Range or Port Triggering (usually Triggering is better) and QoS.

Port Range Forwarding setting example:

Application Name Start ~ End Port Protocol To IP Address

COD4 - PS3 3658 - 3658 UDP 192 . 168 . 1 . 75 (THIS IS THE IP OF MY PS3'S ADAPTER - THE ADDRESS SHOULD BE YOUR PS3 OR YOUR PS3'S ADAPTER)

Port Triggering setting example:

Application Name Triggered Range Forwarded Range Enabled

PS3-3658 3658 - 3658 3658 - 3658 CHECKED

Quality of Service setup is pretty easy - you just need the MAC address of the device you wish to have priority access to the Router, which in this case is your PS3 and any external adapter.

Note again that the above settings are for my own router and are provided as a guide only. Like any network setup, you may need to adjust your own settings to get optimum performance. This is just to give you
an idea of how it's supposed to look.

One added little trick I'd like to pass on - if you've set up your Router for Remote Access Changes, you can effectively do a POR without actually unplugging it. Save your current configuration from the Adminstration section to a convenient disk location on your remote system. Then to reset it, click the Restore Configuration button and choose the config.bin file you previously saved. It will then reset your router's settings. Since my notebook is where my PS3 is, but my Router is downstairs, I'll use this trick to reset it if I'm too lazy to go downstairs and do it. Lame - absolutely. But it works...

WIRELESS NETWORK SIGNAL PROBLEMS

If you're constantly having wireless signal issues (your computer or PS3 keeps dropping out even though you've done everything else) you probably have too many devices on your broadband network. For example, if you have more than one or two cable boxes on your network, it lowers the signal. Each device you add is like a resistor on an electronic circuit - add a device, and you get more voltage dropped over the system. Voltage drop = Signal Drop, so if you've got too many devices connected it can lower your signal to a very weak level, and during peak usage times it can drop out, causing you to endlessly bang your head against a wall, since it usually happens right before winning a long match you've been fighting hard to win. Your network drops off, and you lose all those great stats, then go to the nearest wall and begin beating your head against it.

Not to worry friends - your answer is a handly little device called a Broadband Line Amplifier. Always get one that is AC powered to get true signal boost - the ones that aren't AC powered use the voltage that's on the cable, and if it's low to begin with you won't get that much of a boost. Line amps run about 30-40 bucks and can usually be found at Radio Shack or online electronics outlets. Remember, AC powered is good, non-AC is bad. So you understand, this device goes on your Cable input directly as it enters your home. If you're in an apartment, run a cable to it then a splitter from there.

Line Amps are also great if your home is a good distance from the actual cable access terminal on the telephone pole. Remember that a long cable run drops voltage as well, and voltage drop means signal loss.

If you're using a Gaming Adapter with your PS3, it's important that its settings match your Router's for optimum performance also. One wrong setting can be the difference between Wireless G speed and Wireless N speed, or more importantly, the difference between winning or being a bullet sponge and getting fragged.

Interference from nearby devices and distance between Router and PS3 will also affect overall performance. A weak signal can drop your speed significantly - anything that generates RFI or EMI should be moved away from your Router or PS3. For example, electrical power strips, transformers/AC Adapters should be as far as possible from your Router and PS3 as they generate EMI that can lower your signal. Things like cordless phone bases, microwaves, anything that generates a radio signal on the base frequency of your Wireless should be as far away as possible from your Router and PS3 to reduce interference issues. I recently saw a Support case in which the problem was narrowed down to the user's neighbor - the neighbor's cordless phone was causing a network drop each time an incoming call came in. Though such devices are supposed to meet RFI requirements, in reality many are at the very edge of those requirements and can still cause problems.

If you've not yet made the switch to Wireless N, which will greatly improve your Wireless range and signal, you should consider it if you have an overall weak signal. Even a line amp can't fully compensate for walls with material that block RF signals, nor will it boost your Wireless G signal enough if it's too far from your PS3.

HDTV GAMING CIRCUITS

Many HDTV's today are coming out with installed gaming circuits that automatically remove the video lag between a gaming console and the HDTV itself. Anyone who's every played Guitar Hero and used the Video Lag Calibration feature knows just how bad the video lag between a console and TV can be - up to 100ms in some cases. That might not seem like much until you actually see it and realize how important it is. I myself have a 32" Sharp Aquos, which has a gaming circuit in it. When I started using it last year for COD4, my stats went up immediately. I was previously using a 17" old RCA monitor ('87 vintage). Why an Aquos? Simple - Kojima-san uses them at Kojima Productions for his development team. If the big man of MGS fame uses them, that's good enough for me.

Hopefully some of you will get some benefit from the information I've posted here. I know that others who have used the information here that I've posted on other sites have responded to me that since following the setup information, they now have no Network problems where previously they were having many. If it only helps one person, then it's worth it.
Primarily of the Ancient School...
HP Pavilion HDX 9300 Dragon
Intel Core 2 Extreme X9000 2.8ghz, 8GB DDR2

8800M GTS 512mb | 20.1" 1080p WS | 2 320GB SATA HD’s
Aquos 32" Gaming 1080p HDTV | 320gb Sony PS3 |
Linksys Dual-Band N Network

BF3 Stats WikiAnswers.com Supervisor

Last edited by CyberVisions; 07-19-2009 at 02:02 PM.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:28 PM   #2
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2008
H-town To Indy PSNetwork: HERETOWRECK Trophy Level: (12)

Awesome informative post, or should I say Book?

This will help a buddy of mine out.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:10 AM   #3
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2007
Bay Area, CA PlayStation® 3 ID: SlmShdy1

I could never find the right range of ports to open for my PS3. I just gave up and moved my router close to my PS3. You can't beat a wired connection.
I Do Blu
Old 07-20-2009, 10:25 AM   #4
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2007
Crawley, UK

That has to be the biggest post in the history of all posts! Might read it when I have a spare hour or 2
PS3 500GB + 320GB + 250GB & PSP - PSN id : aikonent

Latest BD - Star Trek Into Darkness / Latest PS3 Game - Saints Row 4
Old 07-20-2009, 11:59 AM   #5
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2009
South Florida PSN:DonVCorleone Nintendo:DonRSD

simple way = make static ip for ps3
go to router and put ps3 static ip as DMZ

thats it.....all ports are open & forewalls off for that static ip

now the question is................is there any way to have TWO dmz ips??? (one for my ps3, 1 for my 360)
PSN: DonVCorleone
Nintendo Network ID: DonRSD
3DS Friend Code: 0018-0138-6226

The U - NY Mets - NY Giants - Miami Heat
Old 07-20-2009, 01:51 PM   #6

May 2009
united kingdom
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonRSD View Post
simple way = make static ip for ps3
go to router and put ps3 static ip as DMZ

thats it.....all ports are open & forewalls off for that static ip

now the question is................is there any way to have TWO dmz ips??? (one for my ps3, 1 for my 360)
i have a static ip, will putting my router in DMZ reduce my gaming ping?
Old 07-20-2009, 02:13 PM   #7
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2008
Wrestling in Ireland. PSNetwork: Nerdkiller316PSN Nerds beaten up: Loads
Send a message via MSN to Nerdkiller likes BD Send a message via Skype™ to Nerdkiller likes BD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreck View Post
Awesome informative post, or should I say Book?

This will help a buddy of mine out.
Does that buddy happen to be me? Cos I managed to alter my network settings to play my EA games online (which happened to work) and it might work on fixing our problems when trying to form a party.
"GIT OUTTA MY OFFICE!" -Matt Groening

My stance on Anime...I just can't understand any of it, everyone is either a 10 year old girl or a monster.
Old 07-20-2009, 02:24 PM   #8
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2009
South Florida PSN:DonVCorleone Nintendo:DonRSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by trans22 View Post
i have a static ip, will putting my router in DMZ reduce my gaming ping?
nope. DMZ just opens up every port AND takes the firewall off for the ip listed
the ip listed will be the ps3 static ip

it will increase ping as there no boundries (closed ports or firewall) for the game to go thru

does anyone know how to set up TWO dmz's?
PSN: DonVCorleone
Nintendo Network ID: DonRSD
3DS Friend Code: 0018-0138-6226

The U - NY Mets - NY Giants - Miami Heat
Old 07-20-2009, 02:49 PM   #9
Special Member

Dec 2007
Kansas

Nice post, very thorough. Two thumbs up!

I would recommend against DMZ. There really isn't any point to it and just leaves your PS3 exposed (It may be a tank now, but there are hackers out there that are very, very determined). I consider it the last possible solution if all other methods fail. If you can't configure your firewall to allow your PS3 free reign your firewall is a meanie head poopyface and you should get a new one.
"I like to park in handicapped spaces while handicapped people make handicapped faces!" - Dennis Leary
Old 07-20-2009, 02:56 PM   #10
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2006
Atlanta, Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonRSD View Post
nope. DMZ just opens up every port AND takes the firewall off for the ip listed
the ip listed will be the ps3 static ip

it will increase ping as there no boundries (closed ports or firewall) for the game to go thru

does anyone know how to set up TWO dmz's?
You need a router that is capable of having 2 DMZs. BTW, DMZ shouldn't increase your ping at all.
My Blu-ray/DVD Collection
PS3 Games: 34 + 20 PSN games
Sony PS3 60/160GB and 40GB
Sony KDSR70XBR2 HDTV
Sony STRDA5200ES 1080p Upconverting A/V Receiver
Old 07-30-2009, 02:35 AM   #11

Feb 2007
Beaumont, California
Send a message via Yahoo to POOPonYOU
Default Call Of Duty: World At War (Party Issues)

I'm having issues being invited to a party or inviting people to a party. I have to reset my router and cross my fingers and hope that it works (about 50% of the time). I'm using a wireless connection for my PS3 and have a (verizon provided router) Actiontec GT704WG (v2 I believe). Will DMZ fix this issue that I'm having? I've already done the whole 192.168.1.1 and opened up all the ports that portforward.com has listed for this game. Thanks for any help and for the OP detailed info.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS3