Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
12 hrs ago
Edge of Tomorrow 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
12 hrs ago
Alien Anthology and Prometheus (Blu-ray)
$19.98
20 hrs ago
Godzilla 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
8 hrs ago
The King and I (Blu-ray)
$9.50
2 hrs ago
Edge of Tomorrow (Blu-ray)
$14.99
17 hrs ago
Halloween: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$79.99
20 hrs ago
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Blu-ray)
$14.99
11 hrs ago
Jersey Boys (Blu-ray)
$14.99
17 hrs ago
Neighbors (Blu-ray)
$9.99
17 hrs ago
Coming to America (Blu-ray)
$4.99
8 hrs ago
Arrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Tammy (Blu-ray)
$14.99
17 hrs ago
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 07-19-2009, 12:03 AM   #1

Aug 2008
Default Samsung Blu-ray BD-P3600A and Wi-fi connection

Since I ordered my first HDTV last night I want to get my first Blu-ray player soon. I want to get a Blu-ray player that will play the BD-Live bonus stuff and connect to my internet the wireless way.

I was reading some reviews on best buy and some other places about problems that some people had trying to connect this blu-ray player to the internet the wireless way. I think I heard that some people said that firewall sometimes could be the problem. I called Samsung and spoke to a technician about this and told her what wireless router I had and everything. She said that If I have a problem connecting the blu-ray to the internet that I might need to turn the firewall off first and then try it and that later I could turn the firewall back on.

Anyways I wanted to get as many opinions as I can before I purchased this Blu-ray player. The Wireless Router I have is a Linksys by Cisco Wireless-N (the technician I spoke with said that she did not think that many people had a problem with the Linksys Router when try connected that Blu-ray to the internet. Also this is the HDTV that I ordered http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ct_id=10778775

The main reason that I want to connect my Blu-ray to the internet is so I can view on the BD-Live bonus stuff on my Blu-ray disc. The second main reason would be for the pandora. As for netflix I don't really need that. If they give you a free trial with netflix I will use it, but it's not something that I need to keep.

I believe the Play Station 3 and some of the Sony Blu-ray players have Wi-fi connection, so I am also looking into some of those Blu-ray players. What are some other Blu-ray players that have the Wi-fi connection?
Old 07-19-2009, 12:08 AM   #2
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
San Antonio

Quote:
Originally Posted by little flower View Post
Since I ordered my first HDTV last night I want to get my first Blu-ray player soon. I want to get a Blu-ray player that will play the BD-Live bonus stuff and connect to my internet the wireless way.

I was reading some reviews on best buy and some other places about problems that some people had trying to connect this blu-ray player to the internet the wireless way. I think I heard that some people said that firewall sometimes could be the problem. I called Samsung and spoke to a technician about this and told her what wireless router I had and everything. She said that If I have a problem connecting the blu-ray to the internet that I might need to turn the firewall off first and then try it and that later I could turn the firewall back on.

Anyways I wanted to get as many opinions as I can before I purchased this Blu-ray player. The Wireless Router I have is a Linksys by Cisco Wireless-N (the technician I spoke with said that she did not think that many people had a problem with the Linksys Router when try connected that Blu-ray to the internet. Also this is the HDTV that I ordered http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ct_id=10778775

The main reason that I want to connect my Blu-ray to the internet is so I can view on the BD-Live bonus stuff on my Blu-ray disc. The second main reason would be for the pandora. As for netflix I don't really need that. If they give you a free trial with netflix I will use it, but it's not something that I need to keep.

I believe the Play Station 3 and some of the Sony Blu-ray players have Wi-fi connection, so I am also looking into some of those Blu-ray players. What are some other Blu-ray players that have the Wi-fi connection?
The Sony BDP-S560 has a Wi-fi connection. Its not out in most stores yet but try to look into it.
Old 07-19-2009, 12:13 AM   #3
Power Member

May 2009
Florida

Quote:

I have the 3600 and I have had no problems since day one. I also have a Linksys Wireless N router using WAP encryption. It took me less than 5 minuets to get it connected and it has not gone down once. I LOVE THIS PLAYER. I also have 2 other BD players and a PS3 and this one is my fav. (See Pics).

Also they just came out with a firmware upgrade, I am not sure what is fixed as I have had no issues with it. Good luck.
"Do you know what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked... in the head... with an iron boot? Of course you don't, no one does. It never happens. Sorry, Ted, that's a dumb question... skip that."
Old 07-19-2009, 03:43 PM   #4

Dec 2007
Thumbs up Went to by the S350, left store with P3600

I went to Best Buy to get Sony's S350, but the salesman pointed out that the extra flash memory and wifi dongle I'd have to buy for it came included with Samsung's P3600.

I'm delighted with the looks and operation of this player. I got the wifi up much faster than I would have had I bought the Sony because Best Buy doesn't sell the dongle for the Sony (I already had flash memory I could use, but didn't want to have to wait, having to order Sony's dongle).

Of course it also streams from PC (and Mac, although that's not intended), has Pandora and Netflix streaming capability. But when I bought it, I didn't know about the PC streaming thing, so that wasn't a factor in my purchase.

I've had it for a couple of weeks and so far it's been working perfectly. I'm not the only one who is irritated with Samsung because of the P1400 (and maybe other reasons), but I wouldn't let that steer you away from considering it.

Old 07-19-2009, 07:53 PM   #5
Blu-ray Baron

Apr 2007
Iowa

Glad you like it. The 'kinks' in the 1600/3600/4600 seem to be worked out with latest firmware. Although these players aren't as setup friendly as the PS3 I use to have...I like them. I've been troubleshooting a lot of the 4600 issues since I got it before Best Buy officially had it for sell (was exclusive to BBuy for a month..had it early and on the shelf but wasn't suppose to be and I snagged it up). The mac streaming thing wasn't solved till recently and the only thing that was bothering me. Now if they allow for saved network settings for streaming. I'll be getting the 3600 most likely for my living room project.
Sony: KDL70W850B 70-Inch 1080p 120Hz 3D Smart LED TV
Sony: HT-CT150 3.1 Sound Bar
Drobo FS NAS: 20 terabytes
Synology 213J NAS: 6 terabytes
13" MacBook Air
iPhone 6 Plus
iPad Retina Mini
Old 07-19-2009, 11:11 PM   #6

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanfarley2 View Post
Glad you like it. The 'kinks' in the 1600/3600/4600 seem to be worked out with latest firmware. Although these players aren't as setup friendly as the PS3 I use to have...I like them. I've been troubleshooting a lot of the 4600 issues since I got it before Best Buy officially had it for sell (was exclusive to BBuy for a month..had it early and on the shelf but wasn't suppose to be and I snagged it up). The mac streaming thing wasn't solved till recently and the only thing that was bothering me. Now if they allow for saved network settings for streaming. I'll be getting the 3600 most likely for my living room project.
Judging from the response I got from Samsung to my message about saving Mac settings, they have no plans for doing so on the 3600, but MAY be for future systems.

Plus they only recognize MP3's. If they would recognize MP4's it would be useful to me.

With the 3600, I had trouble setting up my wep secured wireless network because I was entering the password using the "caps" letters instead of the lowercase. I didn't look fare enough at the block of characters to choose from to see that there were upper and lower case options (this is commonly known as an ID10T problem). I found the lowercase letters, entered the password and immediately presented me with a firmware update. That's how I know I got the wireless working.

I wasn't happy with the remote response during setup - I'd often have to press the arrow key multiple times and hold it down for a full second before the machine responded. Once it WAS set up, it works like a dream.

It made me very happy this afternoon - I was watching Taken on blu ray, and paused it to run out on the patio for a cigarette. 7 minutes later, I come back and it's in screen saver mode. Hit the play button and the movie picks up where it left off - unlike the 1400, which would start the disc from the very beginning, making me do a scene search to get back to where I was. Probably THE most annoying 'feature'.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:32 AM   #7

Aug 2008

Thanks everyone

I think I will be getting the Samsung Blu-ray BD-P3600A. One other question I have is does it matter what HDMI Cable I get? The HDTV that I order is 32 inches. The main use for my HDTV and Blu-ray player will be for Blu-ray disc. I will also watch standard dvds and watch standard tv, but I don't need to spend extra money to make that look any better. I just want to get full use out of my Blu-ray movies with my 1080p HDTV and my Blu-ray player. I have heard that the cheaper HDMI cables can work just as good as the higher priced HDMI cables.
Old 07-21-2009, 05:13 AM   #8

Jul 2009

Quote:
Thanks everyone

I think I will be getting the Samsung Blu-ray BD-P3600A. One other question I have is does it matter what HDMI Cable I get? The HDTV that I order is 32 inches. The main use for my HDTV and Blu-ray player will be for Blu-ray disc. I will also watch standard dvds and watch standard tv, but I don't need to spend extra money to make that look any better. I just want to get full use out of my Blu-ray movies with my 1080p HDTV and my Blu-ray player. I have heard that the cheaper HDMI cables can work just as good as the higher priced HDMI cables.
Yes, a cheaper HDMI cable will work just fine. I bought my last one from monoprice.com for about $3.50 for 6 feet. I even use the cable Comcast gave me with my HD cable box and it is perfectly fine, and I seriously doubt they paid $50+ for it.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:33 PM   #9

Nov 2009
Default BD-P3600 and Linksys Router issues

How did you get yours to work? I'll try mine again and make sure to use all lower case letters. I can get through the WEP entry sequence but after that it refuses to recognize the network.
Old 11-24-2009, 06:47 PM   #10

Jul 2009
Montreal

Mrs Spooky...

3600 plays mp4's no problem...burned to disc, on a key, hard drive AND wirelessly....
Samsung BD-P3600/4600 Tips, tricks and info (Note: Page will probably not load properly with IE)...

Sharp Aquos LC-52D82U 52" LCD
Samsung BD-P3600
Yamaha RX-V1500
Polkaudio RM6900 (5.1) Speakers / Polkaudio RTi Series FXi5 (Back) Speakers
iMac 2 Ghz PPC
Old 11-24-2009, 06:53 PM   #11

Jul 2009
Montreal

Network settings are now kept on the player..YEEAAAHHHH...lol
I have firmware 2.0.4 of the player and will soon be updating....will post if this beaks in the update
Samsung BD-P3600/4600 Tips, tricks and info (Note: Page will probably not load properly with IE)...

Samsung BD-P3600
Yamaha RX-V1500
iMac 2 Ghz PPC
Old 11-24-2009, 08:14 PM   #12

Jul 2009
Montreal

This machine just keeps on surprising me....

Connected a small usb 2, 4 port hub (walmart $14 cdn) to the BACK of the player and connected the wireless dongle to it AND a 500 Gig usb self powered HD.....

ALL WORKS...........

Samsung BD-P3600
Yamaha RX-V1500
iMac 2 Ghz PPC
Old 11-27-2009, 03:15 PM   #13

Nov 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger5 View Post
Mrs Spooky...

3600 plays mp4's no problem...burned to disc, on a key, hard drive AND wirelessly....
Mine doesn't recognize that the MP4 files are even on the disc! How do you find out what firmware version you have - maybe I need to download a firmware update and install it to get the network to connect. I can get to entering the WEP key but then I always get "unable to connect the network: dogma" (where dogma is my SSID)
Old 11-27-2009, 04:38 PM   #14

Jul 2009
Montreal

To check your firmware, go to No Disk >> System Setup >> System Information

I am running now 2.05 XAC with loader 1.12 all OK so far
XAC = Canada

Samsung BD-P3600
Yamaha RX-V1500
iMac 2 Ghz PPC
Old 11-27-2009, 04:58 PM   #15

Nov 2009

According to the system information my BD-P3600 shipped with firmware 1.00. Samsung support doesn't think firmware is the issue for my network connectivity but if it's not that then it must be the dongle - I'm hoping firmware. Cross fingers, I'm downloading 2.05.
Old 11-27-2009, 08:06 PM   #16

Nov 2009

Update: the wired connection passes network connectivity test. The wireless connection (with the blu-ray sitting two feet from the router) fails as unable to connect the network
Old 11-27-2009, 09:25 PM   #17

Jul 2009
Montreal

If it says "network connectivity passed" then you are in the network (try youtube site to be certain..just click youtube...if you can see youtube pics/videos, you made it in and through your router)...IF after that you can't connect to a comp in your network, it is more than likely the comp (or a drive connected to the comp or folders in the comp etc etc) is not set to "share" (movies audio etc)...

Samsung BD-P3600
Yamaha RX-V1500
iMac 2 Ghz PPC
Old 11-29-2009, 07:34 AM   #18

Nov 2009

Bought the 3600 on Black Friday to upgrade from Sony bdp300. Install was rather easy, connected immediately to my Netgear router. Player immediately recognized firmware update and downloaded and installed. My only pet peave was after the upgrade, the 3600 didn't save the previous WEP password and I had to reinput the password. Other than that works like a charm. Watched about 7 hours of Netflix streaming with no issue!
Old 11-29-2009, 04:37 PM   #19

Nov 2009

UPDATE: The problem was that my BD-P3600 didn't like to talk WEP security to the router. Changed the router security to WPA PSK (WPA Personal) and now the blu-ray is happy. Go figure.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:47 PM   #20

Aug 2008
Miami, FL

ZERO issues.... Did not have a problem establishing a connection with my router and aside from having to re-enter the encription key immediately after the firmware update (which appearantly happens to everyone it seems), it is a fantastic player!
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders