Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Bridge of Spies (Blu-ray)
$8.99

Mr. Robot: Season 3.0 (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Tombstone (Blu-ray)
$8.99

The Finest Hours (Blu-ray)
$8.99

Avatar The Last Airbender: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$29.99

A Few Good Men 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

To Have and Have Not (Blu-ray)
$11.85
16 hrs ago
Zodiac (Blu-ray)
$5.34

The Dark Crystal 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Fury 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.96

Death Wish (Blu-ray)
$19.96

Pitch Perfect 3 (Blu-ray)
$14.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater General Discussion

Old 06-11-2009, 09:29 PM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2008
NH - Live free or Die
Default mod's please close this thread, thanks

was wondering any thoughts or opinions on these line conditioners below. was going to pick one up and not really sure which one would be best any help would be appreciated

http://www.circuitcity.com/applicati...408&CatId=1324

or

http://www.amazon.com/Panamax-M5300-...4755708&sr=8-1

i know the panamax is $50 more, but is it worth it?
Home Theater Gear: Samsung PN58B860 58" Plasma, Pioneer Elite SC-27 AVR, Panasonic BMP-BDT310, Harmony One remote
speaker set up: 3 Paradigm Cinema 400 on the wall speakers & cinema 100 surrounds
Subwoofers - Dual Bic F-12 powered subwoofers

Last edited by ryan4blu; 06-17-2009 at 11:03 AM. Reason: close thread please
Old 06-11-2009, 11:18 PM   #2
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2008
NOLA

I've had the panamax m4300 in my audio rack for about 7 months now and am very pleased with it. The price that you see on amazon is pretty good for the model you're considering.

Apparently Circuit City refuses to die. If you buy from them let us know about your experience.

Last edited by FreddieFerric; 06-11-2009 at 11:22 PM.
Old 06-12-2009, 01:32 PM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2008
NH - Live free or Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluRayFred View Post
I've had the panamax m4300 in my audio rack for about 7 months now and am very pleased with it. The price that you see on amazon is pretty good for the model you're considering.

Apparently Circuit City refuses to die. If you buy from them let us know about your experience.
thanks for your info. i know circuit city's website was taken over from tiger direct company. so i think it runs out of them.

so you would consider the panamax over the apc? i know the model on amazon is last years model cause i believe it is now the m5400.
Home Theater Gear: Samsung PN58B860 58" Plasma, Pioneer Elite SC-27 AVR, Panasonic BMP-BDT310, Harmony One remote
speaker set up: 3 Paradigm Cinema 400 on the wall speakers & cinema 100 surrounds
Old 06-12-2009, 05:00 PM   #4
Special Member

May 2008
Socal
-

Bad timing my friend, the panamax was 50 bucks less 2 days ago on Amazon.
Old 06-12-2009, 05:56 PM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2008
NH - Live free or Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArieS View Post
sorry, didnt know that. still looking around, no worries.
Old 06-12-2009, 06:03 PM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2008
NH - Live free or Die

was really looking for opinions on the units, not how much they are. if anyone has any good input on these units let me know, thanks
Old 06-12-2009, 06:19 PM   #7

Nov 2008
Chicago IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArieS View Post
Do they go on sale often?
Old 06-12-2009, 06:49 PM   #8
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2007
PDX

I would recommend going with the Panamax. From what I've heard, they have excellent video and audio filtration.

That's a good price.
Sony Grand Wega SXRD KDS 50-A2000 1080p
Yamaha HTR-6080 7.1 Ch Natural Sound Receiver
Sony PS4 Pro / Yamaha DVD-S2500 SACD Player
Monster Reference Power Conditioner 3500 Mk II
Aurasound LSM-828M Standmounters, LSC-537M Centers F & R, LSB-527M SL & SR, all w/Line Source ribbon tweeters / Realistic Super Tweeters
XLO Electric Reference Speaker Cables
Miller & Kriesel MX-125 Mk. II & MX-70B Subwoofers
Old 06-12-2009, 08:22 PM   #9

Apr 2009

The APC has AVR, voltage regulation, the Panamax doesn't. You need to step up to the 5400 for that.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:38 PM   #10
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2008
NOLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan4blu View Post
thanks for your info. i know circuit city's website was taken over from tiger direct company. so i think it runs out of them.

so you would consider the panamax over the apc? i know the model on amazon is last years model cause i believe it is now the m5400.
I've only had experience with an APC UPS a few years ago and was not happy with how quickly the batteries failed. Other than that I couldn't say about the model you refer to. Don't just stick to amazon or circuit city. You should look at onecall.com; crutchfield.com; abt.com; beachaudio.com; j&r music world, etc. those places are always offering deals so you might luck into something really good.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:04 PM   #11
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2008
NH - Live free or Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicdog View Post
The APC has AVR, voltage regulation, the Panamax doesn't. You need to step up to the 5400 for that.
do you really need that? i thought this panamax was a solid unit? so are you saying the apc 1500 is a better unit?
Old 06-13-2009, 03:43 AM   #12
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2008
NH - Live free or Die

i think i made my choice after some research and i think for the money the apc 1500 model is plenty of what i need. it has the voltage regulation and much more. i found a few online for around $185 shipped. cant go wrong with that now.
Old 06-13-2009, 04:46 AM   #13
Power Member

Nov 2008

Quote:
was wondering any thoughts or opinions on these line conditioners below. was going to pick one up and not really sure which one would be best any help would be appreciated

http://www.circuitcity.com/applicati...408&CatId=1324

or

http://www.amazon.com/Panamax-M5300-...4755708&sr=8-1

i know the panamax is $50 more, but is it worth it?
I picker up that panamax a couple of days ago it was a gold box lightning deal for $199 during the Hi-Def week. Seems like a very solid power conditioner. I would say both are very comparable in the praise I have read.
Old 06-13-2009, 12:56 PM   #14
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2009
Kansas City area

I've seen that APC on Tiger Direct for $99 a couple of times. I'm still kicking myself for not buying it the last time it dropped in price. But I shall wait patiently until it does again.

That's not to say the APC is the better unit, but at that price it's hard to go with anything else.
Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
Salk Sound: Supercharged SongTower, Supercharged SongCenter, Surround I rears, Salk/Rythmik 12" sub x2
Denon AVR-4311, ATI AT2000, PS3, Xbox 360, Harmony Ultimate
Old 06-13-2009, 02:59 PM   #15
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2008
NH - Live free or Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by repete66211 View Post
I've seen that APC on Tiger Direct for $99 a couple of times. I'm still kicking myself for not buying it the last time it dropped in price. But I shall wait patiently until it does again.

That's not to say the APC is the better unit, but at that price it's hard to go with anything else.
i hear ya but the apc pretty much has everything in it as the panamax 5400 model does for way less money.

wow $99, i have never seen this model apc that low. i will have to keep a look out, thanks

by the way i ordered the apc 1500 last night off ebay for $185 shipped. brand new in the box, not a b stock or refurb either. so i think i will be very happy.
Old 06-14-2009, 02:04 AM   #16

Jun 2009

Quote:
was really looking for opinions on the units, not how much they are. if anyone has any good input on these units let me know, thanks
Why are you spending money on something that should already be designed inside the electronics? What are you trying to solve?
Old 06-14-2009, 04:59 AM   #17
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2008
NH - Live free or Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by westom View Post
Why are you spending money on something that should already be designed inside the electronics? What are you trying to solve?
sorry to ask, but do you know what a power line conditioner / surge protector is? i think you should read some of the threads in this forum and you will find out what they are for. basically it protects all you electronics and cleans the power coming in, also acts as a very good surge protector and some also regulate the volage going to your equipment. its a sure thing to have if you value what you spent on your equipment.
Old 06-14-2009, 06:05 AM   #18

Jun 2009

Quote:
its a sure thing to have if you value what you spent on your equipment.
What you have posted is true only if you add numerous other limiting conditions. What a power line conditioner does is what the power supply is also supposed to do.

However, if you know it does more, then which type of surges? What numbers? How far will it adjust voltages to protect hardware? What are voltages that electronics are designed to withstand without damage?

It sounds like you need this only because others have told you harmful things exist. Does it protect from harmonics, noise, impulses or open neutrals? Does it work on metallic or longitudinal transients? Which is the problem you are trying to solve?
Old 06-14-2009, 08:15 PM   #19
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2008
NH - Live free or Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by westom View Post
What you have posted is true only if you add numerous other limiting conditions. What a power line conditioner does is what the power supply is also supposed to do.

However, if you know it does more, then which type of surges? What numbers? How far will it adjust voltages to protect hardware? What are voltages that electronics are designed to withstand without damage?

It sounds like you need this only because others have told you harmful things exist. Does it protect from harmonics, noise, impulses or open neutrals? Does it work on metallic or longitudinal transients? Which is the problem you are trying to solve?
not trying to solve any problems. i have a niles line conditioner already, just looking for another one for my main room theater. my niles will go in the kids room for their system to protect it. i dont have any problems with my system, just looking for a more up to date power conditioner for my main system.
Old 06-15-2009, 01:19 AM   #20

Jun 2009

Quote:
not trying to solve any problems.
Observed often. People fixing problems that do not exist. Problems promoted only by hearsay and myths. Problems made completely irrelevant by what is already inside all electronics.

Various power problems can exist including blackouts, noise, surges, harmonics, and brownouts. To make it even more complex, each can exist in various forms.

The only 'box' that solves all is a complete UPS system installed at the service entrance. That line conditioner does not even begin to accomplish a solution. Worse, it costs hundreds of dollars to so less than any standard $50 or $100 power supply must already accomplish.

View the conditioners spec numbers. For example, that Panamax from amazon.com does what? Well it claims to cut off power if voltage drops to 90 VAC. Did they forget to mention that if voltage drops that low, then voltage completely drops out anyway? Otherwise motorized equipment (ie central air conditioning) would be damaged.

Did they forget to mention that low voltage never damages electronics? In fact, low voltage is so acceptable that many electronics intentionally create low line voltage during startup. And operation during power off is also a brownout. Neither is destructive. But popular myths say otherwise.

How about filtering? Did they forget to mention that filtering is already inside (and required in) every AV device? If you need better filtering, then you need something substantially larger such as products from Brickwall, Surgex, etc.

From your tone, you probably do not want to hear any of this. You have already decided no matter what the technical specs say. Explains why you are asking others for subjective advice.

IOW this post is about many who *know* it is a line conditioner. Yes, it does some conditioning. So minimal as to be near zero. The point: these products are recommended to solve problems that exist mostly in myths - rarely exist in reality. If these problems were so harmful, you would be weekly replacing things that are not so robust - electronics more easily damaged - such as dimmer switches. Are you replacing dimmer switches weekly?

Electrical events that can overwhelm protection in electronics are rare - maybe once every seven years. That line conditioner does not claim to protect from those events. Useful solutions are for rare events that can overwhelm protection routine inside all electronics. Those many cited line conditioners do not claim such protection.

And so the question - what is the problem to be solved? The daily anomalies routinely promoted in myths? Or the rare electrical anomalies that can overwhelm protection already inside electronics?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater General Discussion