Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Blow (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Last Starfighter (Blu-ray)
$6.96
The Quiet Man (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
My Big Fat Greek Wedding (Blu-ray)
$6.98
The Spectacular Spider-Man: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Slap Shot (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Beyond Outrage (Blu-ray)
$12.96
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
WCW's Greatest Pay-Per-View Matches, Volume 1 (Blu-ray)
$18.74
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
The Art of the Steal (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Bound (Blu-ray)
$14.98
Hannibal: Season One (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Old 08-13-2009, 11:23 AM   #1

Aug 2009
Unhappy Pause/Stop problem

Hi all. I am new to the forum and to blu ray so if this is a stupid question please forgive my ignorance.
I have just purchased a Sony BDP-S350 and last night settled down to watch my first blu ray movie. Part way into the film I had to walk my dog so I paused the film.
When I got back a screensaver was on screen and the movie would not resume, I had to start again from the beginning.
I have followed the instruction book carefully (page 31, resume play) but no luck.
I have experimented again today using stop and pause and studying the on screen menu carefully but I cannot get the movie to resume at all and each time have to start from the beginning and search to find where I was up to.

Do I need to fit an external memory card to the slot at the rear in order to make this work ??

Help please
Old 08-13-2009, 03:09 PM   #2

Mar 2009
Toronto Canada

Hey, I have also experienced this. Primairly on NEW realeases. It is not any fault of your player. It is the the disk itself. Many a time I paused a movie for just a bit too long and Bang. I have to go the begining. Why I don't know. It affects everyone.
Receiver Onkyo TX-SR 507
TV Sharp Aquos LC46D64u
Bluray Samsung BD-P3600A
High Def Cable Scientic Alanta 4250HD
Speakers Nuance
Sub Nuance
222DVD 181 Bluray
Old 08-13-2009, 03:28 PM   #3

Aug 2009

Thanks for the reply.
Whilst waiting for a response to my question I have been searching the forum and it appears it's something to do with disks that have java content.
Apparently there is a way of bookmarking your position on a disk with some brands of disk and then re-loading your bookmark from the menu.

My manual makes no mention of bookmarking but on another thread someone suggested using the yellow button.

Seems a long drawn out process to me but then I am used to DVD's and these resume play with no problems.
I could understand if you had to start from the beginning of the movie if you stopped play but it appears that you can only pause for a limited time before you have to start again as well, what a stupid idea

Can anyone provide further information regarding the bookmarking process please
Old 08-13-2009, 03:34 PM   #4
Expert Member

Oct 2007

Does the Sony have a screen saver timeout disable?

The Panasonic players have this feature so it will stayed paused indefinitely so you can resume after a pause no longer how long ago you paused the movie.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:02 PM   #5

Aug 2009

Thats a good thought, I hope so, I will have a look and ley you know
Old 08-13-2009, 04:24 PM   #6

Aug 2009

Yes there is an option to disable the screensaver which I did, unfortunately the disk I am currently using would appear to have it's own screensaver and once that appears it's back to the beginning when you want to carry on watching your film
Old 08-13-2009, 05:41 PM   #7

Nov 2008

If this is the Universal screen saver just hit the down arrow on your controller and the movie will continue.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:34 PM   #8

Aug 2009

Ok thanks for that I think it is a universal screen saver so I will give it a shot (as soon as wife has finished watching her soaps) and get back to you
Old 08-13-2009, 08:34 PM   #9

Aug 2009

Ok the down arrow on the controler worked with the universal screen saver, many thanks Barvan40

Is this the case with most blu ray titles or do some use different buttons to cancel the screen saver without having to re-start the movie after it has been on pause for a while ?
Old 08-13-2009, 11:47 PM   #10

Nov 2008

For most others I just hit play and they go on. I haven't found any others so far that go to a screensaver, just my Universal releases.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:51 PM   #11
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
the guy on the couch

i too had this problem and it drove me nuts, until one day i smashed the buttons on the remote and figured out the down button trick.

At least i don't lose my place anymore but it does make me wonder why they wouldn't have the play button be an out from the screen saver since i would guess most people would hit that first.
Aggressive MiniHorse

Xbox Tag: KrazeyEyez
Old 08-14-2009, 05:18 PM   #12
Expert Member

Oct 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barvan40 View Post
If this is the Universal screen saver just hit the down arrow on your controller and the movie will continue.
On the Panasonic, I just hit play to resume after the Universal SS appears.
I guess each player handles the Uni SS differently.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders