Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Last Starfighter (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
My Big Fat Greek Wedding (Blu-ray)
$6.98
The Spectacular Spider-Man: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Beyond Outrage (Blu-ray)
$12.96
Slap Shot (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Devil's Due (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Here Comes the Devil (Blu-ray)
$14.96
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Battlestar Galactica: Blood & Chrome (Blu-ray)
$11.98
Psycho-Pass: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$98.54

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 08-21-2009, 08:15 PM   #1

Aug 2009
Default PS3 vs. Regular Blu-ray Player

All,
I know this is a topic that has probably been debated over and over again (and I have gone through the "Which Blu-Ray Player is best for me?" thread), but I wanted to get the opinion on getting a regular blu-ray player vs. the PS3.

My situation is as follows:
-Just purchased a 52 inch samsung LCD
-Big xbox360 supporter, not necessarily any games on the PS3 that I will be getting. The truth is that I barely have time to play any games as it stands.
-Enjoy high quality picture (who doesn't?)
-Money is not an issue, but I am also not so technical and don't believe I can notice the differences (yet?)

My question:
Is it worth just buying a $299 PS3 with the idea that I may at some point want to play a game on it? Or, should I settle for a less expensive blu-ray player, save the couple of extra bucks knowing that I probably won't feel like I need a PS3 anyways (pretty sure I won't want one anyways, but wonder if the cost difference between a decent blu-ray player and a PS3 is minimal?

Framework of thought:
If getting a decent (good quality, but not super) blu-ray player will save me only $10 dollars vs. a PS3, then I would just go with a PS3. If I could save $50+ dollars by getting a straight decent blu-ray player, then I would probably not get the PS3.

What are your thoughts?

Best Regards,
dp
Old 08-21-2009, 08:19 PM   #2
Banned

Jun 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpalms View Post
All,
I know this is a topic that has probably been debated over and over again (and I have gone through the "Which Blu-Ray Player is best for me?" thread), but I wanted to get the opinion on getting a regular blu-ray player vs. the PS3.

My situation is as follows:
-Just purchased a 52 inch samsung LCD
-Big xbox360 supporter, not necessarily any games on the PS3 that I will be getting. The truth is that I barely have time to play any games as it stands.
-Enjoy high quality picture (who doesn't?)
-Money is not an issue, but I am also not so technical and don't believe I can notice the differences (yet?)

My question:
Is it worth just buying a $299 PS3 with the idea that I may at some point want to play a game on it? Or, should I settle for a less expensive blu-ray player, save the couple of extra bucks knowing that I probably won't feel like I need a PS3 anyways (pretty sure I won't want one anyways, but wonder if the cost difference between a decent blu-ray player and a PS3 is minimal?

Framework of thought:
If getting a decent (good quality, but not super) blu-ray player will save me only $10 dollars vs. a PS3, then I would just go with a PS3. If I could save $50+ dollars by getting a straight decent blu-ray player, then I would probably not get the PS3.

What are your thoughts?

Best Regards,
dp
I was like you not a fan of ps3 so I went with a standalone player.There was not really any games I liked I bought the player and loved it just like you will somewere around $200.00 great picture awsome.Then I seen some features I liked on the Ps3 such as the wireless connection to do upgrades.I hated running the wire to my tv.So here we are 6 months later and selling my player to get a ps3.In all honesty I think if there is any features the ps3 has that you think you will enjoy I would say go with the ps3 just to be safe.Looking at how the system bitstreams now I believe this will do excatly what a player does.Just look at the features see if any benefit you and worth the extra $100.00.I would also look at the games because like I said before I was never intrested in games but recently been looking at games and theres alot that look great like Killzone 2, and the upcoming MAG.

I think the load times are better on the Ps3 plus you have a browser which is a plus I think.The blu ray player I had at amazon $202.00 LINK

Last edited by HomeTheaterVirgin; 08-21-2009 at 08:26 PM.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:21 PM   #3

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeTheaterVirgin View Post
I was like you not a fan of ps3 so I went with a standalone player.There was not really any games I liked I bought the player and loved it just like you will somewere around $200.00 great picture awsome.Then I seen some features I liked on the Ps3 such as the wireless connection to do upgrades.I hated running the wire to my tv.So here we are 6 months later and selling my player to get a ps3.In all honesty I think if there is any features the ps3 has that you think you will enjoy I would say go with the ps3 just to be safe.Looking at how the system bitstreams now I believe this will do excatly what a player does.Just look at the features see if any benefit you and worth the extra $100.00.
What do you mean by wireless connection? Does blu-ray have constant upgrades to players?
Old 08-21-2009, 08:23 PM   #4

Jan 2008
Juuuuuuuust A Bit Outside....

Quote:
Perfect candidate for the OPPO, it's the best player, plays SACDs, loads fast... and doesn't look goofy on your A/V rack.

Edit, $499
Excessive Compulsive Ellipses Abuser
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffetfroid View Post
The chip on your shoulder is bigger than Godard's ego.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42041 View Post
oh dear its a crazy person
Old 08-21-2009, 08:25 PM   #5

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beta Man View Post
Perfect candidate for the OPPO, it's the best player, plays SACDs, loads fast... and doesn't look goofy on your A/V rack.

Edit, $499
That's a bit steep, haha. Maybe I should say my range is $300 or less. I'm comparing all blu-ray players to the PS3 for this analysis.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:28 PM   #6
Banned

Jun 2009

When ever theres a firmware upgrade or you want to use Bd live yes you need to upgrade or have it connected.Bd live is not that great right now but who knows in time you might want to use it.Either way upgrades on your firmware are usually a must.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:30 PM   #7

Jan 2008

Quote:
That's a bit steep, haha. Maybe I should say my range is $300 or less. I'm comparing all blu-ray players to the PS3 for this analysis.
Well....

I'll tell you this then.

I have two PS3s, and no games. When I got them, they were the best player available at their price point..... I don't think that's the case anymore though, and I'm planning on getting the OPPO, but I'm sure I could find something at $300 or less that I would get rather than a PS3 at this point.

PS3 also uses a Blue-tooth remote.... not sure if that matters to you, but if you want to use a universal remote, you have to buy a blue-tooth adapter.

I use the Game-controller thingy for both of them, but should really buy the PS3 blue-tooth movie remote thing they sell.....

Also, both of my PS3s died on me, one had maybe 20 hours of use on it total..... and they were both well ventilated etc... both were repaired under warranty so that was good.

I think they're great players, but also think, if games aren't your thing, you can do better.

It also doesn't help that I don't use the browser, and don't store movies/music/etc. on it..... it's basically just a movie-player for me.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-21-2009, 08:31 PM   #8

Jan 2008

Quote:
When ever theres a firmware upgrade or you want to use Bd live yes you need to upgrade or have it connected.Bd live is not that great right now but who knows in time you might want to use it.Either way upgrades on your firmware are usually a must.
I used the Ghostbusters Blu-ray to do a recent update on both of mine....... will that disc update other players as well? (Like the Denon, which I hear is tough to update?)
Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-21-2009, 08:32 PM   #9
Special Member

Aug 2009
Midwest

I agree with the OPPO...good stuff. I have a pioneer 51,if you can ignore how slow it is you can probably pick one up for 200-250. The AQ/PQ on this player is awesome! Only bad part is that it doesn't hook up to the internet so upgrades have to be downloaded through your puter and burned to a disc. Most Blu players update firmware.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:34 PM   #10
Banned

Jun 2009

Quote:
I used the Ghostbusters Blu-ray to do a recent update on both of mine....... will that disc update other players as well? (Like the Denon, which I hear is tough to update?)
oh I didnt know you can do updates like that.Man I didnt know nothing when I came here this was the first time I tried to help somebody with all the knowledge I have learned here and was still wrong.Change my status to New Member now.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:37 PM   #11

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixx View Post
I agree with the OPPO...good stuff. I have a pioneer 51,if you can ignore how slow it is you can probably pick one up for 200-250. The AQ/PQ on this player is awesome! Only bad part is that it doesn't hook up to the internet so upgrades have to be downloaded through your puter and burned to a disc. Most Blu players update firmware.
Thanks, this is helpful.
I guess I should read up on what the pros and cons are to specific players. I'm quite new to the blu-ray world and don't know what "AQ/PQ" represents or means to me as a consumer.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:38 PM   #12

Jan 2008

Quote:
oh I didnt know you can do updates like that.Man I didnt know nothing when I came here this was the first time I tried to help somebody with all the knowledge I have learned here and was still wrong.Change my status to New Member now.
I just found out it worked on the PS3 by putting it in

From what I can tell, it's the first disc to do this...... I guess they just added a data file to the disc so it would update your firmware if it needed it (which makes sense.... imagine how little room that data takes up, and it prevents probably thousands of returned discs.......)
Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-21-2009, 08:39 PM   #13
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2007

Scientifically speaking,... The PS3 is just like a stand alone player but like much better and stuff.
Blu Rays are Forever
Old 08-21-2009, 08:39 PM   #14

Jan 2008

Quote:
Thanks, this is helpful.
I guess I should read up on what the pros and cons are to specific players. I'm quite new to the blu-ray world and don't know what "AQ/PQ" represents or means to me as a consumer.
Audio Quality
Picture Quality
Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-21-2009, 08:40 PM   #15

Aug 2009

Seems like PS3 is a safe blu-ray player that won't cause too many headaches with good quality for the price.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:41 PM   #16
Special Member

Aug 2009
Midwest

Quote:
Thanks, this is helpful.
AQ= audio quality
PQ= picture quality

I had to learn the lingo as well
Old 08-21-2009, 09:10 PM   #17

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixx View Post
AQ= audio quality
PQ= picture quality

I had to learn the lingo as well
I want to be blown away... and the OPPO (after reading various reviews online) seems pretty amazing. I have many DVD's and hope that they are upconverted as well.

What is the second best blu-ray player under the OPPO (Just can't bring myself to spend $500 on a player (especially since I've just purchased a sports car, apartment, new tv, etc.) I also don't have a hardcore sound system, so I figure TV sound system is going to be pretty poor.

I need to get:
BD player
new surround/sound system

What is the your take with this additional info?
Old 08-21-2009, 09:19 PM   #18

Apr 2008

Quote:

Edit, $499
Also doesn't allow you to stream media from your PC.. deal breaker for me and the PS3 is $200 cheaper
TV: Panasonic P65VT30 (Old: Sharp LC52D62U)
Player: PS3 320GB
Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR809 (Old: Denon AVR1909)
Speakers: Polk RTiA5 CSiA6 FXiA6
Sub: ED A3-300
Old 08-21-2009, 09:28 PM   #19
Special Member

Aug 2009
Midwest

Quote:
I want to be blown away... and the OPPO (after reading various reviews online) seems pretty amazing. I have many DVD's and hope that they are upconverted as well.

What is the second best blu-ray player under the OPPO (Just can't bring myself to spend $500 on a player (especially since I've just purchased a sports car, apartment, new tv, etc.) I also don't have a hardcore sound system, so I figure TV sound system is going to be pretty poor.

I need to get:
BD player
new surround/sound system

What is the your take with this additional info?
IMO if you are not interested in games, you have a ton of choices that you would be happy with it. Like I said before, if your not going with OPPO then pioneer would be my choice. As many on here (who are much smarter than I) would say, you have to ask yourself several questions. Games? BD live? ....tons more.

If you have a good Tv you will be blown away by the picture. Once you get a sound system, you will be even more blown away. I have both the PS3 and the pioneer. I like them both for different reasons. You could spend 200 bucks on a player and save your money for an awesome surround system and TV and probably be happiest. If in your shoes, that is what I would do.

Happy hunting!
Old 08-21-2009, 09:39 PM   #20
Expert Member

Oct 2007

If you plan on watching DVD's, with your size TV, you may want to try a Panasonic or Pioneer blu-ray player and test them on your set.
The PS3 is not know for it's upconverting PQ but priased for all the other things it can do outside the blu-ray platform.

I agree that the OPPO would be your best player for blu-ray and DVD upconverting but it will cost more.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders