Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
High School of the Dead OVA: Drifters of the Dead (Blu-ray)
$4.99
History of the World: Part I (Blu-ray)
$6.16
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$16.98
Far and Away (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Intolerable Cruelty (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Little Busters!: Collection 1 (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Blu-ray)
$5.99
High Plains Drifter (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Simpsons: The Sixteenth Season (Blu-ray)
$22.98
Vikings: Season One (Blu-ray)
$21.99
The Blues Brothers (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Hold Your Breath (Blu-ray)
$8.75
BTOOOM!: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Planet Earth | Life (Blu-ray)
$54.99
Patlabor The Mobile Police : Collection 1 (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Old 09-04-2009, 07:20 PM   #1

Aug 2009
Default Wireless LAN

Just bought a new Blu-ray player (and I'm new to blu-ray) and it has BD live & Youtube. Can I use any wireless LAN device? I have a wireless router in my home. If so, is it as simple as just pluging it in to the blu-ray player and that's it? Or is there some configuring that has to be done? I haven't tried anything yet....

Thanks-
Frank
Old 09-05-2009, 02:04 AM   #2
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankieebotz View Post
Just bought a new Blu-ray player (and I'm new to blu-ray) and it has BD live & Youtube. Can I use any wireless LAN device? I have a wireless router in my home. If so, is it as simple as just pluging it in to the blu-ray player and that's it? Or is there some configuring that has to be done? I haven't tried anything yet....

Thanks-
Frank
You can plug it into the wireless router if it's near by; if not you can buy a wireless bridge. Which blu-ray player did you buy and does it have wifi built-in?
Old 09-05-2009, 05:11 AM   #3
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2008

You can connect the blu-ray player to the router through standard Ethernet cable. The player should automatically acquire an IP address and should work. You should be able to browse.

If your blu-ray player has WiFi, you should be able to connect to the router through a wireless link without cable. In this case, you may need to configure security settings depending on the configuration of your router.
Wish that blu-ray is most faithful to the theater release...
Old 09-05-2009, 05:42 AM   #4

Apr 2009
Palm Desert, CA
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankieebotz View Post
Electronic Component Companies have wised up, most now only have Ethernet connections. Wireless is not consistent, and the bandwidth is not usually sufficient for High Def Video and Sound, and not reliable for Firmware updates. So use one of the Ports on your Router and connect it to the RJ45 on your Blu-ray Player with Data Cable. It should assign an IP Address and configure on it's own.
Old 09-05-2009, 06:02 AM   #5

Mar 2009
Sattahip, Thailand

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchav21 View Post
Electronic Component Companies have wised up, most now only have Ethernet connections. Wireless is not consistent, and the bandwidth is not usually sufficient for High Def Video and Sound, and not reliable for Firmware updates. So use one of the Ports on your Router and connect it to the RJ45 on your Blu-ray Player with Data Cable. It should assign an IP Address and configure on it's own.
If your still using wireless G, then yeah, the bandwidth is a bit low, works but as stated not consistent. On the other hand wireless N can get 300Mbps if configured properly, that is 3x faster than the 10/100 wired connection which was the standard and acceptable.
Old 09-05-2009, 09:02 AM   #6

Apr 2009
Palm Desert, CA
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maswov View Post
If your still using wireless G, then yeah, the bandwidth is a bit low, works but as stated not consistent. On the other hand wireless N can get 300Mbps if configured properly, that is 3x faster than the 10/100 wired connection which was the standard and acceptable.
Wireless is Wireless, you might get the full bandwidth of your connection under ideal conditions and 3 feet away, but for solid consistent bandwidth nothing beats Wired. I wired my house for Ethernet 10 years ago and have enjoyed Streaming High Def Video and Sound with no problems. As you can tell I'm not big on Wireless, but it does have it's applications, like connecting Laptops. If you're serious about your High Def Video and Sound for the future, then it's Ethernet or Fiber.
Old 09-05-2009, 10:16 AM   #7
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2008

It appears that there is a trend to prefer wired Ethernet over wireless. I wish to give some perspective to this.

Wireless technology was originally designed to give original Ethernet speeds, i.e. about 10 Mbit/s in a typical home environment. This works okay for Internet connections and give sufficient bandwidth for many people to browse and streaming Internet quality videos. In many cases Internet is the bottleneck rather than the wireless connection. Internet itself gets congested in peak times and would be inferior (at least time to time) in comparison to a typical home wireless connection.

There are many people using wireless connections for firmware upgrades without any issues. I expect firmware upgrade software is designed to cope with temporary interruptions to the data connection as it relies on unpredictable Internet - if this is not the case there could be issues with wireless firmware upgrades and also for Internet firmware upgrades.

Having said that I also should note that I am using a wired Ethernet connection and have a personal preference for wired over wireless. So my recommendation is to use a wired connection as the preferred option if it is practical run a cable between your blu-ray player and the router. If not (and if your blu-ray player is WiFi) you should try wireless (provided your router is wireless). It should work okay unless you have electromagnetic interference issues in your home environment. One classic example is placing a microwave over in the radio path of your wireless connection.
Old 09-05-2009, 10:57 AM   #8

Mar 2009
Sattahip, Thailand

Quote:
Originally Posted by syncguy View Post

Having said that I also should note that I am using a wired Ethernet connection and have a personal preference for wired over wireless. So my recommendation is to use a wired connection as the preferred option if it is practical run a cable between your blu-ray player and the router. If not (and if your blu-ray player is WiFi) you should try wireless (provided your router is wireless). It should work okay unless you have electromagnetic interference issues in your home environment. One classic example is placing a microwave over in the radio path of your wireless connection.
A problem I had, and no one believed me, is that every time my neighbors phone rang it will kill my connection. I used to play EQ and when i moved my comp to the dining room in the apt, i would drop periodically. I started to notice it would happen when the neighbors phone rang. Didn't take long to realize my router and their phone were both operating on 2.4G. I was getting jammed.
Old 09-05-2009, 11:17 AM   #9
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maswov View Post
A problem I had, and no one believed me, is that every time my neighbors phone rang it will kill my connection. I used to play EQ and when i moved my comp to the dining room in the apt, i would drop periodically. I started to notice it would happen when the neighbors phone rang. Didn't take long to realize my router and their phone were both operating on 2.4G. I was getting jammed.
Unfortunately, 2.4GHz cordless phone frequency range directly overlaps with 2.4G Wifi frequency range, Changing the channels of WiFi and /or cordless phone may help but may not be able completely eliminate the problem. Moving the wireless router to another location away from the cordless phone might help. 5.8 GHz cordless phones do not directly overlap the with WiFi technology.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders