Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Woodstock: 3 Days of Peace & Music (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$15.96
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Strain: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$34.96
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.99
Kundo (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Dragon Ball Z: Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Neighbors (Blu-ray)
$16.99
The Simpsons: The Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.96
Oblivion (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Dragon Ball Z: Season 6 (Blu-ray)
$17.99
The Nutty Professor: 50th Anniversary (Blu-ray)
$28.99
The Tim Burton Collection (Blu-ray)
$26.49
Wrong Turn Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$12.98
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED
Old 02-11-2012, 01:10 PM   #10681

Jul 2007
At the crossroad of Analogue Dr & 2CH Ave

Quote:
Originally Posted by aces high View Post
That's what I was thinking but just needed some confirmation, thanks John.

My long term plan is to replace the speakers first, then the IA and finally the table and other source components.
Looks like you're in for a lot of auditioning in the coming weeks, months and perhaps longer. Good for you! And good that you're asking questions and trying to plan ahead!
John - I love the smell of vinyl in the morning!
My personal motto: "Live Life! Leave A Legacy!"
I reserve the right to post as a member. When I post as a Moderator I will select a color depending on my mood!
AudioQuest - Genesis - Marantz Reference - Mogami - Nitty Gritty - Nottingham - Ortofon - Rega - Valab/King
Old 02-11-2012, 01:12 PM   #10682
Blu-ray Baron

Aug 2009
Tampa, FL

Good morning John! How are you today?
Display: 52" Sony KDL-52W4100
Blu-ray | Gaming: Oppo BDP-83 | "Fat" PS3 | Xbox360 Pro
Mains: Elemental Designs A6-6T6
Center: CUSTOM eD A6-6T6-MTM
Side and Rear Surrounds: Sony SS-B1000
Subs: DUAL eD A2-300's
Receiver | Amps: Pioneer Elite SC-25 | Emotiva XPA-2 + XPA-5
Join me in my HT thread HERE
Old 02-11-2012, 01:15 PM   #10683
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Vinyl View Post
Looks like you're in for a lot of auditioning in the coming weeks, months and perhaps longer. Good for you! And good that you're asking questions and trying to plan ahead!
Unfortunately this plan falls into the perhaps longer category. It's nice to have an idea of what direction you want to take and how to get there to avoid being upsold on certain products.

Eventually I'll get my two channel system where I would like it to be, in the mean time it's sounding pretty good as is. The tubes have helped to tame the somewhat aggressive Paradigm Studio tweeter. Thanks for the advice John.
Old 02-11-2012, 02:16 PM   #10684

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by progers13 View Post
Good morning John! How are you today?
I'm well Mr. Rogers! Suffering a bit from a cold and winter has returned in full force to our area overnight. Was going to go out and run some errants, but not in this weather.....

What's shaking with you?
I reserve the right to post as a member. When I post as a Moderator I will select a color depending on my mood!
AudioQuest - Genesis - Marantz Reference - Mogami - Nitty Gritty - Nottingham - Ortofon - Rega - Valab/King
Old 02-11-2012, 10:05 PM   #10685
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2011

Co'on John it's only -15 i went to work this morning and it was chilly outside but nothing like having a Tim around the corner
Old 02-11-2012, 10:21 PM   #10686
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Nov 2008
On the sofa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almadacr View Post
Co'on John it's only -15 i went to work this morning and it was chilly outside but nothing like having a Tim around the corner
Mmmm, a cup of coffee and a Walnut Crunch for breakfast would be awesome! Wish we had a Timmy's here.
Unwatched Blu-rays: 42
Marantz SR6004; UD5005; CD5003
B&W DM600 S3, LCR60 S3, ASW600 SVS SB12-NSD
Audio-Technica ATH-M50
Toshiba Regza 32C3000G; Sony PS3
Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 5010
Elite Screens M106UWH-E24
Old 02-12-2012, 12:57 AM   #10687
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Mmmm, a cup of coffee and a Walnut Crunch for breakfast would be awesome! Wish we had a Timmy's here.
I have in any direction of my place in a 10 minutes walking distance 3 tim's I try to send you one Travis
Old 02-13-2012, 08:16 PM   #10688
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2011

Hey John did you read the interview of Alan Parsons on CEPRO ?

Here's the link Alan Parsons Interview

I really like this part .

Q :What is the biggest thing that both electronics dealers and enthusiast consumers should do when setting up home theater/sound systems?

A: You get what you pay for. But having said that, there are some decent budget surround systems you can buy at Costco or Walmart that really arenít bad. Everybody has their budget; the hi-fi world will tell you if money is no object you can get better results out of every component - even the surface the amplifier sits on. Pro sound people have different expectations; they are only concerned that a piece of gear works and allows them to do their job. Hi-fi people spend huge amounts of money for tiny improvements, and pro sound guys will say, ďI can spend half as much and get the results I need.Ē

Iím simply not very familiar with the latest domestic hi-fi equipment. I donít go to hi-fi tradeshows and I donít have sophisticated equipment in the family areas of my house for music, but there are things that make sense like good speakers and a decent amp. But I dare say there would only be a small improvement if I bought a $20,000 amp. I can live with what I have.

I do think in the domestic environment, the people that have sufficient equipment donít pay enough attention to room acoustics. The pro audio guy will prioritize room acoustics and do the necessary treatments to make the room sound right. The hi-fi world attaches less importance to room acoustics, and prioritizes equipment; they are looking more at brand names and reputation.

That's my kinda guy he hit the nail . , plus i would love to have or ear some Alan Parsons Project in High res
Old 02-13-2012, 08:21 PM   #10689

Jul 2007

Quote:

Q :What is the biggest thing that both electronics dealers and enthusiast consumers should do when setting up home theater/sound systems?

A: You get what you pay for. But having said that, there are some decent budget surround systems you can buy at Costco or Walmart that really aren’t bad. Everybody has their budget; the hi-fi world will tell you if money is no object you can get better results out of every component - even the surface the amplifier sits on. Pro sound people have different expectations; they are only concerned that a piece of gear works and allows them to do their job. Hi-fi people spend huge amounts of money for tiny improvements, and pro sound guys will say, “I can spend half as much and get the results I need.”

I’m simply not very familiar with the latest domestic hi-fi equipment. I don’t go to hi-fi tradeshows and I don’t have sophisticated equipment in the family areas of my house for music, but there are things that make sense like good speakers and a decent amp. But I dare say there would only be a small improvement if I bought a $20,000 amp. I can live with what I have.

I do think in the domestic environment, the people that have sufficient equipment don’t pay enough attention to room acoustics. The pro audio guy will prioritize room acoustics and do the necessary treatments to make the room sound right. The hi-fi world attaches less importance to room acoustics, and prioritizes equipment; they are looking more at brand names and reputation.

That's my kinda guy he hit the nail .
Hi Fernando!

I read the article. Pretty difficult not to when it was posted on every major audio/audiophile forum on the web. There is no question that not ewnough people pay attention to room acoustics and understand that the room is as much as 50-60% of the quality sound equation. I can also see where he's not really into audiophile equipment, as most musicians aren't, so I'm not sure I agree with his entire view on that matter. The point about acoustics was bang on though.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:46 AM   #10690
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2009
The "Boogie Down"
Send a message via AIM to DangeRuss Send a message via Yahoo to DangeRuss

Quote:

A: You get what you pay for. But having said that, there are some decent budget surround systems you can buy at Costco or Walmart that really arenít bad. Everybody has their budget; the hi-fi world will tell you if money is no object you can get better results out of every component - even the surface the amplifier sits on. Pro sound people have different expectations; they are only concerned that a piece of gear works and allows them to do their job. Hi-fi people spend huge amounts of money for tiny improvements, and pro sound guys will say, ďI can spend half as much and get the results I need.Ē

Iím simply not very familiar with the latest domestic hi-fi equipment. I donít go to hi-fi tradeshows and I donít have sophisticated equipment in the family areas of my house for music, but there are things that make sense like good speakers and a decent amp. But I dare say there would only be a small improvement if I bought a $20,000 amp. I can live with what I have.

I do think in the domestic environment, the people that have sufficient equipment donít pay enough attention to room acoustics. The pro audio guy will prioritize room acoustics and do the necessary treatments to make the room sound right. The hi-fi world attaches less importance to room acoustics, and prioritizes equipment; they are looking more at brand names and reputation.

That's my kinda guy he hit the nail . , plus i would love to have or ear some Alan Parsons Project in High res
That is some good stuff right there. And I do have very similar views on the subject of home entertainment. I'm more concerned with the software over the hardware

BTW Good morning Johnny V
Visuals by......
Panasonic~ Oppo

Audio by...
DUAL~ Grado ~ Yamaha
Harman/Kardon~ Acoustic Research
SVS
Old 02-15-2012, 02:35 AM   #10691
Contributor

Apr 2009
Corner Totem Ave. and Bryston Blvd, Arcam Shire

Some great speakers for you John

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/detai...rue_reference/
Olivier
Panasonic TC-P55ST30
Oppo BDP-103D, Oppo BDP-83, Bel Canto 3.5vb DAC
Arcam AVR400 Receiver, Bryston 6B-SST Power Amp, Totem Forests Signature L/R, Totem Model One Sig. Center, Totem Mites Surrounds
TotemTress, Nordost, Bis Audio, Audioquest
JL Audio Fathom f113 Gloss Black, Dynaudio X-12, Acco Accoustic Panels

Old 02-15-2012, 05:26 AM   #10692
Blu-ray Count

Feb 2008
California

Hey John how's it going? I'm thinking of bringing my family to see Toronto this spring. Don't have much time though, something like 4 nights and 5 days. Two of those 5 days are for travel and another will be for a day trip to Niagara Falls. That leaves two full days and all the other nights in downtown Toronto. Is this enough time to see most of the cities main attractions (think family-oriented)?
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss
Old 02-15-2012, 10:24 AM   #10693
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2009
The "Boogie Down"
Send a message via AIM to DangeRuss Send a message via Yahoo to DangeRuss

Good Morning Johnny V

What's spinning ?
Visuals by......
Panasonic~ Oppo

Audio by...
DUAL~ Grado ~ Yamaha
Harman/Kardon~ Acoustic Research
SVS
Old 02-15-2012, 07:12 PM   #10694

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl87 View Post
One day, one day, buddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManUtd View Post
Hey John how's it going? I'm thinking of bringing my family to see Toronto this spring. Don't have much time though, something like 4 nights and 5 days. Two of those 5 days are for travel and another will be for a day trip to Niagara Falls. That leaves two full days and all the other nights in downtown Toronto. Is this enough time to see most of the cities main attractions (think family-oriented)?
I'm not sure about enough time as there is quite a bit to do and see, but you could certainly get in a few of the Major attractions. The CN Tower, The Hockey Hall of Fame, The ROM (Royal Ontario Museum), and the Ontario Science Museum are just a few. Let me know what kind of things you're interested in, and I'll come up with a list for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangeRuss View Post
Good Morning Johnny V

What's spinning ?
Been listening to on .flac and on vinyl quite a bit of classical music this last week. It's been a nice change. Haven't bought any vinyl recently, so I may have a look this weekend....
Old 02-15-2012, 07:34 PM   #10695
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Northern Delaware

Hello John.

I want to thank you for leaving such kind words in my gallery comments. I also appreciate the fact that you stopped by. I hope all is well above the border.
Anything newly acquired on the music front?
Regards,

My Room as of Sept 2014

"Chance favors only the prepared mind." Louis Pasteur
Old 02-15-2012, 07:48 PM   #10696

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldgibson76 View Post
Hello John.

I want to thank you for leaving such kind words in my gallery comments. I also appreciate the fact that you stopped by. I hope all is well above the border.
Anything newly acquired on the music front?
Hello Lawrence,

It was easy to leave the comment buddy as that TV is a beautiful addition to your setup. I'm still watching my 42" - 720p Panny Plasma, but it works great, so I'm hesitant to upgrade for now. I do need to look at something for next year though, and I'd like to step up to a 60" or larger, but we'll see.

The last piece of music I bought was Alan parsons - I, Robot. I picked up a used MoFi copy of it and it's outstanding.....very happy with it. I was saying to Russ I might go and have a look on the weekend for something....I'll be damned if I know for what though. LOL!
Old 02-15-2012, 07:49 PM   #10697
Blu-ray Archduke

Feb 2008
Near Atlanta GA

Good fine day JV. How's life treating you?
AL
ďIf at first you don't succeed, try something easier.Ē

Sharp Quattron LC-70LE735U Oppo BDP-103 Pioneer Elite CLD-79 Darbeevision DVP-5000
Denon AVR-4311ci, DR-M10HX Monster HTS-5000 Outlaw Model 750
Klipsch Forte II, RC-62 II, IW-100, KSB 1.1
Velodyne VA 1012 Hsu Research ULS-15 Triple Drive
Old 02-15-2012, 07:55 PM   #10698
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Northern Delaware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Vinyl View Post
Hello Lawrence,

It was easy to leave the comment buddy as that TV is a beautiful addition to your setup. I'm still watching my 42" - 720p Panny Plasma, but it works great, so I'm hesitant to upgrade for now. I do need to look at something for next year though, and I'd like to step up to a 60" or larger, but we'll see.

The last piece of music I bought was Alan parsons - I, Robot. I picked up a used MoFi copy of it and it's outstanding.....very happy with it. I was saying to Russ I might go and have a look on the weekend for something....I'll be damned if I know for what though. LOL!
In Al's thread, I just introduced Aero to "Michael Franks". That would be a good fine, my friend.
Regards,

My Room as of Sept 2014

"Chance favors only the prepared mind." Louis Pasteur
Old 02-15-2012, 08:01 PM   #10699

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheatergeek View Post
Good fine day JV. How's life treating you?
Good buddy! Busy week this week, but I have a three-day weekend to look forward to, so I am managing well! What about you, what's been happening?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldgibson76 View Post
In Al's thread, I just introduced Aero to "Michael Franks". That would be a good fine, my friend.
It would be indeed, and I'll go and have a look.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:24 PM   #10700
Contributor

Apr 2009
Corner Totem Ave. and Bryston Blvd, Arcam Shire

Rounder sounding then the Elements,certainly a sound you prefer. It is after all in the Model One, Forest family which is somewhat kind of close of the sound of the Sttaf. I loved the Wind Desing both times I heard it, I did not hear the Wind persay.

As you may know the Wind design has an upgraded cabinet with stroger bracing and reworked X-over but essentially they apparently sound close enough sonically and tonally. The Design certainly has improved imaging and may appear to sound a tad smoother because of the reduced cabinet resonance.

All other Design series speakers from Totems dont differ from the other finishes except for the price . The price difference would not be justified if it was only the finish that was upgraded on the Wind.
Olivier
Panasonic TC-P55ST30
Oppo BDP-103D, Oppo BDP-83, Bel Canto 3.5vb DAC
Arcam AVR400 Receiver, Bryston 6B-SST Power Amp, Totem Forests Signature L/R, Totem Model One Sig. Center, Totem Mites Surrounds
TotemTress, Nordost, Bis Audio, Audioquest
JL Audio Fathom f113 Gloss Black, Dynaudio X-12, Acco Accoustic Panels

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater Galleries