Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Attack on Titan Part 2 Limited Edition (Blu-ray)
$51.79
Wrong Turn Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.97
Star Trek: The Compendium (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Willow (Blu-ray)
$12.36
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.99
Sons of Anarchy: Seasons 1-6 (Blu-ray)
$172.59
Minority Report (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Friday the 13th: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$75.49
Star Wars: The Clone Wars: The Lost Missions (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Woodstock: 3 Days of Peace & Music (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Nekromantik (Blu-ray)
$20.19
The Simpsons: The Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.96
Creepshow (Blu-ray)
$5.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED
Old 09-11-2009, 06:37 AM   #1

Sep 2009
Default Work in Progress

My first Post,

Well I'm building my First Home Theater and I'm just going with the bose lifestyle 35 system cause the room is fairly small and I'm building the room from scratch as it's been completely gutted and reformed. So far I hired StoneFabrication company to re-build my Granite Fireplace and I've been slowly laying the woodfloor myself with my nailer and aircompressor. The cuts are tedious slow and annoying, especially the steps I'm about to do. The following images are taken from my Blackberry so pardon the low image quality. But the Door you see in the rear is a Temp Door, as i will remove it and then fill it with dry wall and spackle.

So I've alredy setup the ceiling with speaker wire and I'll bring the wires to the front through the CrawlSpace for a simple 5.1 setup. But at the moment I'm laying wood floors and I've purchased the Bose lifestyle 35 setup for this room and I'll post more images as I go along. I'm thinking about going with a 55 inch Samsung LED, but I'm unsure of what size I want I still have alot of work left on filling but everyday I'm a bit closer, and I plan to use these forums for help or guide along the way Thanks.

Last edited by scoobieskyman; 09-11-2009 at 04:07 PM.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:07 AM   #2
Power Member

Aug 2007
SoCal

Hi there.
Welcome to the Forum

Looks and sounds quite promising what you are building there, definitely keep us updated...
Life is just a form of animated death.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:44 PM   #3

Jan 2008
Juuuuuuuust A Bit Outside....

Nice looking dark-hardwood.....

I've never laid hardwood flooring before..... Helped someone do Pergo to their rental though.... but that's not the same thing.....
Excessive Compulsive Ellipses Abuser
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffetfroid View Post
The chip on your shoulder is bigger than Godard's ego.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42041 View Post
oh dear its a crazy person
Old 09-11-2009, 02:27 PM   #4

Sep 2009

Yea it's Brazillian Red Wood from BR 111 (Exotic HardWood Flooring) I'm using an Air Compressed Nailer and Hammering away at the floor to even things out I'll put more images of the Parts of this theater again it's slowly coming together but I still don't have a TV and need suggestions I want either 46 or 55 inch and can't spend over 3 grand for the TV. I'm thinking I want an LED but am unsure at the moment, I'm trying my best to do the cleanest install within my power for this room right now, and again it's my first.

This is my Sound Setup I went with for this room, http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/...e_35/index.jsp.

Just that and aPS3
Old 09-11-2009, 02:46 PM   #5

Sep 2009

Parts Waiting to be put together: ** I appologize for the low quality images taken from my Blackberry** Perhaps at a lower Res- It'll look better overall.

Well this is the Steps that I was talking about, believe it or not but molding this took me forever and my Carpentry skills are ok, not great, but ok and this is the best I could do with the wood, nail and glue, hope you approve.

each corner will have a speaker so far I pre set the wiring to be hidden,

Set, waiting to be opened and placed/ Brackets waiting to be setup:

Clean Central Wire Unit that will be installed where you see my door, and then I'll fill it up with Drywall and do a Repaint of the Entire Wall.

Sofa with Base Board waiting to be put together (The back piece sneaks up when lifted from rear of the sofa)

My Captains Chair for the room:

I hope it looks Promising so far, trying to do this slowly and Cleanly as possible, for that Professional Look of a room. However I am running out of time cause school starts in 3 weeks, lol. And to think we were doing beer pong in this room just last year. Now it'll be a Great Show Room.

Last edited by scoobieskyman; 09-11-2009 at 04:12 PM.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:50 PM   #6

Sep 2009

The Central Speaker Wire to hide everything and have everything meet in the center, I'll install this inside that door you see in the rear, and again I will repaint the west wall and spackle and make sure everything looks clean.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:53 PM   #7

Sep 2009

Again, Suggestions for the proper TV for my room or setup would be great currently there are 3 windows in the room and it's not a Overly huge Room, but I wanna give it that showroom like look that can be appealing for guests and mainly the Ladies I have over And again my limit is 3 grand on the TV, so as much as I'd like a Pioneer in here I don't think I can have one

As a Noobie to the forums I had no idea that you could upload images, lol ok I've moved my images to the proper location hope I don't get bad reviews so far, hehe. I'll keep you guys updated as I make progress in both the room and equipment.

Last edited by scoobieskyman; 09-11-2009 at 03:15 PM.
Old 09-11-2009, 03:55 PM   #8
Blu-ray Champion

May 2008
Washington, DC Metro

Not sure what you ended up paying for your Bose system, but for the $3K or so you probably paid for it and accessories, you could have picked up a really nice system with better speakers and more future proofed than the Lifestyle. Just my opinion, though.

In regards to a TV, I would look at two things. First, the lighting control you have in the room. It looks sort of bright so a plasma may not be the best for you. However, if you watch very little during the day, then a plasma may be best for you.

I don't have much experience with the LED LCD's. All I know is that the more expensive ones are better since they have localized LED versus edge LED's. I would suggest that you try to find a place that doesn't have all of their TV's in a brightly lit display area. A Magnolia or local Mom and Pop shop would be better places. If you have a Magnolia, ask if they can bring the TV's you are looking at into one of their display rooms.

Also, that stairway woodworking looks really good. Just make sure you have enough area rugs to minimize reflections (echoes) from music or movies.

Nice job!
Panasonic TC-P65VT30
Onkyo Pro PR-SC5508P | M2Tech Young DAC | Emotiva XPA-1 (x3), XPA-2
Oppo BDP-93 | DirecTV HR23-700 HD-DVR
Sony Playstation 3 | Nintendo Wii | Apple TV 2, Mac Mini (iTunes Server), iPad
B&W 804S, HTM3S, CWM DS8S | SVS PB12-NSD | Denon AH-D2000 Headphones
Tripp Lite HT1210ISOCTR Power Conditioner, SMART1000LCD UPS System
My flickr account | My Five Year HT Upgrade Plan
Next Upgrade: Cables
Old 09-11-2009, 03:59 PM   #9

Sep 2009

oh I paid 2 Grand at a local Bose Outlet (Same Warranty and the regular stuff), now I agree I could have gone with other speakers for better sound quality. However from what I saw at my local Magnolia I wasn't happy with the current ceiling speakers. I made the mistake of going to a Bose Store first and designing the room after vising the store. It'll be too hard and tacky to redo the room. But in any case if I plan to sell the home I'll leave the system with the home and the new home owners would probably prefer bose over the other stuff because I live in a neighborhood with a much older crowd, although I'm only 26 myself. The average person in my neighborhood is like in their 50's Also keep in mind that my Speakers the (The Bose Jewels are no bigger then a can of Pop) Thus, the room is going to seem alot nicer overall. It's a 4.5 inch speaker, I don't want the room yelling this is JUST a TV room because again this is the room adjacent to my living room and Entrance way, it's really a guest room, but guests rooms without TV's and some form of music or speakers is so dull and boring...

I'm a newly adopted fan of klipsch, however I'm running into this problem that they are either too low end in my opinion or too high end. But the home has 12 rooms in total (Not including the 4 bathrooms) there are 5 bedrooms in that 12 though. And I will be building a secondary home theater that's of much higher quality, with the klipsch setup and Yamaha receiver, (in a 25 by 25 yard room) or maybe the basement This room is just a home entry room for guests really, not me. And it's a test room to get my feet wet in this area. Again, I'm completely new to building this kinda of stuff and just dabbing with it. I personally, won't really be using the room much once complete, however guests I invite will be using the room.

Last edited by scoobieskyman; 09-11-2009 at 04:20 PM.
Old 09-11-2009, 04:27 PM   #10

Jan 2008

Sounds like a fantastic house to own at 26!

Also, For a large dedicated theater that you're planning on building in the future, you can stick with the Klispch's if you like them, but as far as a "Yamaha Receiver" you should really look into Pre-Pro and Amps....

This Foyer/parlor/den you're doing looks great.... Love that white chair.....

I could give all sorts of suggestions for speakers the same size, or even smaller than the Bose's at all price points, but it seems like you have a pretty good idea of what you're doing with the room, so I say go for it......
Quote:
Quote:
Old 09-11-2009, 04:47 PM   #11

Sep 2009

In case anyone was curious about the home. It's a VERY old home built in 1920 that we were able to pickup for a Great Price because of the Interior Falling apart. I added the larger rooms to the rear then gutted the rooms, one by one and I do most of the work myself as a hobby in my free time to achieve a look that I want. The home has Large potential and I'm sure I'll be able to sell for a profit at the end of the day. But as we move along I'm getting more attached to the home because it's really coming along. I hope you enjoy what you see so far, you'd be amazed what a Water Pressure Gun can do to an old home when used correctly with some chemicals.

Front Drive way: Large to hold the Countless Guests i have over and my Red Baby, The Toyota Supra TT and a friend of mine who is occasionally helping me build, his Banana mobile and my mobile tool shed, lol.

Entrance to my humble home: See the windows to the right? That's the new room we're building here

The New Add on to the home, Basement is here, Apparently no homes built in 1920 or around that time have basements so here we have my new Large room towards the rear of the home with a small basement where a full, Fully Featured and Functional home theater will be built. And Yes I own both sides of the land here and I plan to rebuild the depreciating bridge (which I won't show you right now, lol the bridge does overlook a nice waterfall though) and a guest home on this side of the stream. Between Landscape work and Interior work, it's a time Drainer and a money pit, but it's always nice to directly see your money go towards something special.

Stay Tuned.

Last edited by scoobieskyman; 09-11-2009 at 05:22 PM.
Old 09-11-2009, 04:56 PM   #12
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2008
Columbus, OH

That looks like an awesome house. Great work so far.
Old 09-11-2009, 04:58 PM   #13

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobieskyman View Post
In case anyone was curious about the home. It's a VERY old home built in 1920 .
That's a young pup

Very nice! Our home was built in 1908, and was in complete disrepair.... we got it Via foreclosure for a song-and-dance, and are pretty much doing what you are (gutting it, and re-doing it all) I'm not doing all of it myself, but much of it.

Our home isn't nearly as grand as that though...... that's a great looking property it sits on too.

How long have you had the house? We had work done to ours for 6 months before we moved in, and we've owned it for probably 15 months or so....... Still MUCH to do!

I love seeing an old home get taken care of..... Bravo.

EDIT: What condition is that Slate Roof in? Slate in our area gets quarried from the Great Lakes, and is good for 100 years, then it just crumbles etc.... Slate in the New-England area can last 200+ years.....
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by Beta Man; 09-11-2009 at 05:01 PM.
Old 09-11-2009, 05:05 PM   #14

Sep 2009

Well Slate is really expensive these days and I can't afford to replace it with other slate and I'm too scared atm to take a water pressurizer to it. I'll have to get outside help on this roof but I know it doesn't look as nice as it could, but it is holding up well. I've done the Copper gutter work myself on the home and it's rough. I got the home with some help from my parents (as they wanted the home orginally for themselves, but have since given it up ) and I have a pretty decent job atm as well to support the work on the home and the payments for the home. This home will DEFINITELY be in the family. We've had it for 3 years, my parents live down the street in a much nicer home actually but this one is getting there.
Old 09-11-2009, 05:10 PM   #15

Jan 2008

I'm not suggesting the roof needs to "cleaned up"

As long as slate isn't falling off, and it's not leaking, I wouldn't do anything to it (maybe have someone look at it though, to give you an idea of the condition)

Yeah, a new slate roof is OUTRAGEOUSLY expensive..... we looked into it, and about cried!
Quote:
Quote:
Old 09-11-2009, 05:17 PM   #16

Sep 2009

I work with one contractor who helps me with mostly framing work beacuse I consider myself quite talanted in interior work and electrical work. But he told me that the roof is fine but he didn't really want to get on it because the angle is SUPER steep, I think I just pray right now that it holds and no leaks appear. So Far so Good, it handles snow well though and the copper gutters are working. Oh this, you may find cool I've routed all Gutter systems to empty out into my creek. So the white PVC pipe you see sticking out in the Creek? That's a Direct line from the Gutters of my home, LoL

Last edited by scoobieskyman; 09-11-2009 at 05:40 PM.
Old 09-14-2009, 03:27 PM   #17

Sep 2009

Ok so I'll be the first to admit I didn't get much progress done over the weekend on my room. I went to the USC OhioState game on Sat, and watched NFL games at the local sports bar with some buddies on Sunday. But I was able to finish up the Wood Flooring completely and now I gotta work on Speaker Mounts and Base Board, Visited BestBuy and I'm either going to get a Samsung 55 inch BACKlit LED ( I Capitalize BACK because the cheaper 6000 series is side lit, not back lit thus it's way thinner but not as good picture quality) My father is thinking 60+ inches, but I don't think he realizes the price tag on that, and is just talking out of his A$$. But here is what got done this week just this and floor buffing hope you can appreciate the carpentry work

did in fact take like a half a day to do what you see here
Old 09-14-2009, 03:38 PM   #18
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2009
Corpus Christi, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobieskyman View Post
Ok so I'll be the first to admit I didn't get much progress done over the weekend on my room. I went to the USC OhioState game on Sat, and watched NFL games at the local sports bar with some buddies on Sunday. But I was able to finish up the Wood Flooring completely and now I gotta work on Speaker Mounts and Base Board, Visited BestBuy and I'm either going to get a Samsung 55 inch BACKlit LED ( I Capitalize BACK because the cheaper 6000 series is side lit, not back lit thus it's way thinner but not as good picture quality) My father is thinking 60+ inches, but I don't think he realizes the price tag on that, and is just talking out of his A$$. But here is what got done this week just this and floor buffing hope you can appreciate the carpentry work

did in fact take like a half a day to do what you see here
You have a very nice home. I cant wait till i am able to afford something like that. Of course, i need a career first.
Call Me Michael Or Mike
Bedroom HT
Front Stage: Polk Monitor 60 (x2) and Polk CS2 - Surrounds: Polk R150s (x2)(Thank You Todd!) - Sub(s) Acoustic Audio HD-SUB12 - Equipment: Pioneer Elite SC-25 - Monster HDP 2400 - Motorolla DVR Cable Box - PS3 80GB (Upgraded to 250GB)

Watch this Video. Guarenteed to laugh!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Hs8r5-2BI4
Old 09-17-2009, 11:22 PM   #19

Sep 2009

Been busy at work this week earning cash, but so far I've decided to do away with the Plastic Plate Covers and went with Metal, then I custom fitted the Brackets to match up correctly including a hole for the speaker wire to come though. **Was working at night forgive the bad images taken from my blackberry again, and it's mock up of a Flash**

So this is what one mounted Speaker looks like

Old 09-18-2009, 12:06 AM   #20

Jan 2008

Very nice..... I probably would have gone with all in-ceiling speakers if you were trying to get that very refined "Sleek" look, but nonetheless, the speakers certainly aren't obtrusive.
Quote:
Quote:
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater Galleries