Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Willow (Blu-ray)
$9.96
28 Days Later / 28 Weeks Later (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Minority Report (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Psycho (Blu-ray)
$10.98
My Mental Choices Are Completely Interfering with My School Romantic Comedy: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$42.99
Star Trek: The Compendium (Blu-ray)
$24.96
The Hunt (Blu-ray)
$11.49
Planet of the Vampires (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Old School (Blu-ray)
$5.20
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.76
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.99
Lifeforce (Blu-ray)
$14.59
The Sopranos: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$199.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED
Old 12-06-2005, 10:56 PM   #1

Jan 2005
Default Will blu-ray d.v.d. replace the c.d.?

Will blu-ray d.v.d. replace the c.d.? If so when? I am holding off currently for the past year and next for the entire pop cannon to be given this new format, updated, and re-released on blu-ray d.v.d. so I can have the option of 2.0, 5.1 plus all the extra bonuses, alternate versions of songs, demos, outtakes, instrumentals, short promtional films (which are music videos), making of short promotional films, film of recording the l.p.s, interviews (old and new), any news coverage, and whatever else information pertaining to that specific l.p. I am hellbent waiting for these things like a madman. I just need the money now, eh?
Old 12-07-2005, 12:25 AM   #2
Blu-ray Guru

May 2004

I highly doubt BD will replace CD. BD will excel for movies and recording on PCs but I don't think it'll have a big impact on the audio side of electronics.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:11 PM   #3

Apr 2004

For those who like high quality sound, a hybrid CD/BD could support high quality music reproduction without the compromises inherent in DVDA and SACD, whilst with appropriately high quality digitisation a BD recorder could be great for archiving LPs, 12" and tapes ...
Blu-Wave: when you scratch the surface...
Old 12-08-2005, 03:55 AM   #4

Nov 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-Wave
For those who like high quality sound, a hybrid CD/BD could support high quality music reproduction without the compromises inherent in DVDA and SACD, whilst with appropriately high quality digitisation a BD recorder could be great for archiving LPs, 12" and tapes ...

Hi Blu-Wave,

But are these "coulds" or "wills" in the Blu-ray standard?

And is there any inclination to put backward compatibilty for DVD-A, SACD, and HDCD discs in every Blu-ray player? If not, I can't see them surviving in the long term... which might I say really, really, really, really sucks!
(is anybody listening?)

TruBlu
Old 12-08-2005, 08:22 PM   #5

Jul 2004
Belgium

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruBlu
And is there any inclination to put backward compatibilty for DVD-A, SACD, and HDCD discs in every Blu-ray player? If not, I can't see them surviving in the long term... which might I say really, really, really, really sucks!
(is anybody listening?)

TruBlu
Many BD players (if not all) will include support for DVD-A, SACD, HDCD,...

PS3:
Quote:
Disc Media

CD PlayStation CD-ROM, PlayStation 2 CD-ROM, CD-DA, CD-DA (ROM), CD-R, CD-RW, SACD, SACD Hybrid (CD layer), SACD HD, DualDisc, DualDisc (audio side), DualDisc (DVD side)
DVD: PlayStation 2 DVD-ROM, PlayStation 3 DVD-ROM, DVD-Video, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW
Blu-ray Disc: PlayStation 3 BD-ROM, BD-Video, BD-ROM, BD-R, BD-RE
No audio standard has yet been settled for BD. And there is no need for one I believe.
Blu-ray Disc is only the beginning...

Thunderhawk
Old 12-10-2005, 01:44 AM   #6

Jan 2005

I have no understanding as to why the entire music industry are not on their way to re-releasing everything on blu-ray d.v.d.s. Why would this not be the case? They already for the past year if not two years have been releasing dual discs. What's the real difference except that blu-ray is way better? Why would the public not want the option of their c.d.s to have 5.1 plus loads of bonus features if the l.p. has them which could be anything such as the short promotional films (music videos), alternate versions of songs, unreleased songs, demos, outtakes, instrumentals, film interviews, and whatever else providing information and content related to any c.d. every released PERIOD!! They could even include new filmed interviews. In case you all do not know most l.p.s have short promotional films (again music videos) even going as far back as the 1960's. VH1 Classic play them all the time and they have been released on d.v.d. and home videos for years now.) This seems to be a phenomenal option that would rock the music industry in my opinion. Where's the interest? I am foaming at the mouth hell bent for these to be released and SOON too yet there seems to be little interest for anyone. If this is the case why are there so many c.d.s and music d.v.d.s in stores such as Best Buy and whereever else?

Last edited by AlexKx; 12-10-2005 at 01:49 AM.
Old 12-11-2005, 07:57 AM   #7

Jul 2004
Belgium

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexKx
yet there seems to be little interest for anyone
True.

Thunderhawk
Old 12-11-2005, 06:08 PM   #8

Jan 2005

I noticed your last sarcastic remark but while you get off on that know that Universal Music are the ones who said a few months ago that they are interested in this happening now...and in case you haven't noticed there are an aweful lot of dual discs that have been released this year. So as I take you by the hand to show you the facts you don't have to write me off yet...

Last edited by AlexKx; 12-11-2005 at 06:12 PM.
Old 12-11-2005, 06:11 PM   #9

Jan 2005

Why does an audio standard have to be set for blu-ray d.v.d anyway? Won't they all have the option of either 5.1 or 2.0? Why not just have it so that you select which ever one you want that you use to play on whatever stereo or headphones?
Old 12-11-2005, 10:13 PM   #10
Blu-ray Guru

May 2004

FWIW, as anxious as I am for HD movies on disc, I'm not at all interested in 5.1 audio for music. I have a few 5.1 SACDs which just haven't impressed me that much. Stereo is good enough for music IMO. Getting rid of hiss/static is always good though.
Old 12-11-2005, 10:25 PM   #11
Power Member

Aug 2005
Sheffield, UK

What I DO see the point of however is 5.1/7.1 audio for audio drama.

The latest series of Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy is being released in 5.1 on DVD Audio and that medium strikes me as a perfect candidate for surround sound.
Old 12-13-2005, 10:00 AM   #12

Jul 2004
Belgium

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexKx
So as I take you by the hand to show you the facts you don't have to write me off yet...
Sorry m8... Didn't mean 2..

But, as n2blu says, there's hardly any interest... There can be a lot of DualDisc releases nowadays, I don't see the CD format dying within the next 2 or 3 years.
Many companies wanted DVD-Audio/SACD to take over CD, but consumer decided to keep the CD format. They can still force us to choose for a next-gen HD Audio format, but I don't think consumers will like it... Same as many consumers now don't like the HD format because they'll have to change again.
Ofcourse companies would love to see a BD-Audio.
I just know know what will happen yet.

Thunderhawk
Old 12-16-2005, 01:43 AM   #13

Jan 2005

Tell me why would blu-ray be a popular format for movies and they couldn't simply release the SAME thing for music c.d.s but with allllllll the other features they could include as well? It doesn't even begin to make sense. You would simply have ONE format for everything. Video games, movies, albums, and soundtracks. For the first time in history. It totally makes sense does it not? Why would the entertainment not be able to use that to their advantage on every imaginable leve including ones we haven't for whatever reason or another thought of? You obviously would still be able to play all the old c.d.s on the players or whatever devices. Are you saying that people who buy c.d.s will not be buying blu-ray d.v.d.s? Those facts alone don't make any sense to me on how this will not take off....and if it doesn't take off in the next year or two just how long do you think this blu-ray format will stay on the market? As long or longer than divix?

Last edited by AlexKx; 12-16-2005 at 01:47 AM.
Old 12-16-2005, 04:11 AM   #14
Blu-ray Guru

May 2004

You asked if Blu-ray will replace CD. Some, including myself, have offered our opinions that we don't think BD will ever replace CD. I realize there could be a lot to offer consumers in a BD-Audio format but as we keep telling you, there just doesn't seem to be enough interest in it. Maybe in a couple of years things will change but as of now I just don't see that big of a market for such a thing. And since you're ranting, please stop refering to Blu-ray discs as Blu-ray DVDs. Blu-ray is a completely new format. HD-DVD is the new version of DVD. Sorry, just felt the need to vent since you're having such fun with it.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:51 AM   #15

Aug 2010

the answer is yes,just a time problem
Old 08-20-2010, 06:56 AM   #16
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2007

This may be a record.

You will give the people of Earth an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble, they will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:58 AM   #17

Sep 2009

heh the internet replaced the CD
Old 08-25-2010, 05:29 AM   #18
Power Member

Sep 2008
Southern California
Send a message via AIM to hardcorefrokid Send a message via Skype™ to hardcorefrokid

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepizzaguy View Post
heh the internet replaced the cd
+1 I haven't purchased a CD in a LONG time. Last CD I got was for free at a concert.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:12 PM   #19

Apr 2009

This has to be a record for reincarnation of an old thread, 5 years Love the "blu-ray d.v.d" terminology and no it won't because it seems you can only find the new Tom Petty BD-Audio on Amazon or at his website....
Old 08-27-2010, 12:47 AM   #20
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2007
Victoria, BC

Blu-ray d.v.d won't replace anything, but I believe Blu-ray will replace DVD yes.
Home Theater Geeks Overcome Bond quotes USA the greatest country in the world? Immigrant Song Hall of the Mountain King
"Your intellect may be confused," he once wrote, "but your emotions will never lie to you." Roger Ebert Physical media forever!
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology