Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$49.99

Let's Be Cops (Blu-ray)
$9.96
21 hrs ago
X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$9.96

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$11.99

The Complete Jacques Tati (Blu-ray)
$59.99

Sleeping Beauty (Blu-ray)
$18.99

Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$44.99

The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

True Detective (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Batman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$149.99

Homeland: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

22 Jump Street (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Vikings: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 09-24-2009, 04:32 PM   #1
Special Member

Jul 2008
SoCal, planet Earth
USA Risky Business Blu Ray Digital Copy Expired

Just bought a new "Risky Business" blu ray, including digital copy. I enjoy the blu ray version as much as the next person, but when I purchase a product that offers additional features; I think those features should work, especially if the “digital copy” feature was one of the reasons why I bought the blu ray in the first place.

I attempted to copy the digital copy to my iPod. After loading the digital copy into the PC DVD drive, the nag screen loads saying you need an internet connection for this feature. Click that screen and the next message I get is, "Offer Expired - Sorry, this offer is no longer available for Risky Business."

WHAT? What’s up with that? I mean, if an advertisement indicates a digital copy is included with the purchase of the blu ray, and then I expect it to work! RIGHT?

Now, let's say that I woke up a year later from a comma and I went on line to buy this blu ray which offers the digital copy in a brand new package. I think even though, if there was a time limit on this offer, WB (Warner Brothers) should honor the digital copy feature, since there are thousands and thousands of digital copies that have not been sold yet. I think if WB does not want to continue to support the digital copy feature, they should pull all the digital copies from the selves so that good honest hard working people like you and me don't get ripped off. If WB does not pull the digital copies from the shelves, then they should at least state that on the advertisement.

Shame on WB for selling stuff that doesn't work. Shame, shame, shame!
Old 09-24-2009, 04:33 PM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008

Yeah, I don't understand the expiration date either. Makes no sense....
Old 09-24-2009, 04:34 PM   #3
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2009
Home of N'Sync and the Backstreet Boys

Happened to me, too. Bought it a few days after the code expired.

Maybe that's why vendors dropped the price.
Old 09-24-2009, 04:52 PM   #4
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2008
West Hollywood, CA.

This is why I hate digital copies. You end up with a extra disc that is obsolete one day.
Old 09-24-2009, 04:56 PM   #5
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2009

Hmm, is the digital copy on the BD itself or something? (Doesn't seem likely)

My Risky Business is not a BD and a second digital copy disc. It's just 1 disc.
Old 09-24-2009, 05:14 PM   #6
Special Member

Jul 2008
SoCal, planet Earth
Default Digital Copy is on a Separate Disc

Quote:
Originally Posted by O_V_N View Post
Hmm, is the digital copy on the BD itself or something? (Doesn't seem likely)

My Risky Business is not a BD and a second digital copy disc. It's just 1 disc.

Nope, the digital copy is on a disc all by it self. It is a rip off...
Old 09-24-2009, 05:15 PM   #7
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvl View Post
Warner doesn't waste a disc for digital copies on most releases, you have to download them from a server. The only time they provide a DVD-Rom disc is when the digital copy is iTunes compatible and that's due to the size of the iTunes file.

Universal also doesn't waste a disc for digital copies on most releases and the DVD disc also has SD material that can be shared between DVD-Video and Blu-ray Disc releases.

Fox and Lionsgate provide a DVD-Rom disc that is only good for the digital copy files and redemption.

Digital copies require a license key embedded in the file to work. Generally you purchase the movie and get access to the file.

The reason the codes expire is due to the contracts signed to provide that digital copy. Generally the codes are good for at least a year before they expire. In some cases, the digital copy is only available through redemption.

For example: Aliens vs Predator: Requiem is not available for purchase through the iTunes store. You have to input a code to redeem it and like other "freebies" from iTunes, its a limited time because the server handling redemptions has to be given the instructions to ok a transaction. They can not feasibly continue to provide these "freebies" forever.

In the case of Warner titles, its also an issue of having a server setup to provide that digial copy for download. After a certain time period, the cost of the server is going to outweigh the cost of providing that digital copy for free.

Last edited by steve_dave; 09-24-2009 at 05:19 PM.
Old 09-24-2009, 05:17 PM   #8
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2009

Quote:
I know I didn't get a disc with the digital copy.
Old 09-24-2009, 05:32 PM   #9
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2007
Omaha NE
-
-

I had this happen with Nightmare Before Christmas. I decided I was going to load it on my Ipod 2 days after the code expired. I loaded it, entered the code and it worked anyway. It looks like some of them may go a little beyond their expiration dates, how far, I don't know.
Old 09-24-2009, 05:35 PM   #10
Special Member

Jul 2008
SoCal, planet Earth
Default Sorry, but I must disagree with you Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_dave View Post
Warner doesn't waste a disc for digital copies, you have to download them from a server.

Universal also doesn't waste a disc for digital copies on most releases and the DVD disc also has SD material that can be shared between DVD-Video and Blu-ray Disc releases.

Fox and Lionsgate provide a DVD-Rom disc that is only good for the digital copy files and redemption.

Digital copies require a license key embedded in the file to work. Generally you purchase the movie and get access to the file.

The reason the codes expire is due to the contracts signed to provide that digital copy. Generally the codes are good for at least a year before they expire. In some cases, the digital copy is only available through redemption.

For example: Aliens vs Predator: Requiem is not available for purchase through the iTunes store. You have to input a code to redeem it and like other "freebies" from iTunes, its a limited time because the server handling redemptions has to be given the instructions to ok a transaction. They can not feasibly continue to provide these "freebies" forever.

In the case of Warner titles, its also an issue of having a server setup to provide that digial copy for download. After a certain time period, the cost of the server is going to outweigh the cost of providing that digital copy for free.
Although, I agree a server is required, but only as an authenticator and not the actual download of the media file/s. What occurs is that when you launch the digital copy disc for the purposes of digital copy to a portable device, in this case it was my iPod; the connection was made to the server for authentication. Once the user has been authenticated, it connects to iTunes for the process to allow the file/s to be copied to your portable device (this has been my experience when copying to the iPod).

Just for fun, load the digital copy and cancel the nag screen if it loads. Right click the DVD drive icon and select "Explorer". Observe, there are two files that are intended for playback, which are both the same movie, except one is intended for a portable device and the other is intended for your PC or Mac playback media software.

Now saying all that, if the server connection is required for the download, then why is there media files burnt to a DVD (standard resolution) disc? If I am wrong, then I stand corrected, but it doesn't make since to me to burn a digital copy to a DVD disc and also it requires downloading it from a server? Somehow, that seems like a waste of a good DVD disc to me, not to mention the equipment, human labor and other expenses in manifesting the digital copy.

Bottom line, it is still a huge rip off to market thousands and thousands of digital copies and then pull the plug, if you catch my drift.
Old 09-24-2009, 05:41 PM   #11
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2008

Quote:
Although, I agree a server is required, but only as an authenticator and not the actual download of the media file/s. What occurs is that when you launch the digital copy disc for the purposes of digital copy to a portable device, in this case it was my iPod; the connection was made to the server for authentication. Once the user has been authenticated, it connects to iTunes for the process to allow the file/s to be copied to your portable device (this has been my experience when copying to the iPod).

Just for fun, load the digital copy and cancel the nag screen if it loads. Right click the DVD drive icon and select "Explorer". Observe, there are two files that are intended for playback, which are both the same movie, except one is intended for a portable device and the other is intended for your PC or Mac playback media software.

Now saying all that, if the server connection is required for the download, then why is there media files burnt to a DVD (standard resolution) disc? If I am wrong, then I stand corrected, but it doesn't make since to me to burn a digital copy to a DVD disc and also it requires downloading it from a server? Somehow, that seems like a waste of a good DVD disc to me, not to mention the equipment, human labor and other expenses in manifesting the digital copy.

Bottom line, it is still a huge rip off to market thousands and thousands of digital copies and then pull the plug, if you catch my drift.

Warner only provides a disc when they include iTunes compatibility.

Warner has set up servers exclusively to provide the files through download over the internet for selected Windows Media Compatible digial copies only.

If the digital copy is only for Windows Media then you have to wait and download it from a server.

If the digital copy is for both iTunes and Windows Media then they will include a disc with both files on it so that a download from a server is not necessary.

Last edited by steve_dave; 09-24-2009 at 05:50 PM.
Old 09-24-2009, 05:57 PM   #12
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2008

Now if you really are upset about it...

You didn't pay any extra for the digital copy.

Your mind is making you think you did but you didn't. Its like the CD sampler in Beetlejuice, the price is still the same for the BD without that CD. Same goes for Body of Lies: BD+DC is around $25 while BD only is still around $25. Its not like retailers were told to lower the price once the digital copy is no longer available or expires.

My suggestion is to contact Warner Brothers and if the authorization code redemption slip does not have an expiration date on it, then you can ask for a new redemption code.
Old 09-24-2009, 06:22 PM   #13
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2007

This is also one of several reasons I hate digital copy.

Addition of digital copy adds an expiration date to some part of your purchase.

Also... If I want to back up my digital copies, I back them up onto DVDs. So I have the DVD they came with and the DVD I backed them up with and all the while I will likely never watch the thing because I have it on Blu Ray anyway.

I just hate them, I wish they would go away big time.

-Brian
Blu Rays are Forever
Old 09-24-2009, 07:18 PM   #14
Contributor

Oct 2008
Calgary, Alberta

I got a 2nd disc with mine. Just purchased it last week, when it was marked to $10 @ Wal-Mart. What a waste of plastic.
2051 DVDs,
1296 Blu-rays,
166 HD DVDs,
38 Laserdiscs
& counting...

Sale/Trade Thread (new titles regularly: Canadian exclusives, slipcovers, steelbooks): http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=116007
Old 09-24-2009, 07:20 PM   #15
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhylliam View Post
I got a 2nd disc with mine. Just purchased it last week, when it was marked to $10 @ Wal-Mart. What a waste of plastic.
WTF did I buy? LOL

I know I only have 1 disc. The other side of the case has the insert for the digital copy, but no digital copy (and no place for one).
Old 09-24-2009, 07:29 PM   #16
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2008

Could be the new pressing without the digital copy disc since its now expired. Warner did this with Body of Lies and 300.
Old 09-24-2009, 07:35 PM   #17
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_dave View Post
Could be the new pressing without the digital copy disc since its now expired. Warner did this with Body of Lies and 300.
Possible, but why include the insert explaining the expiration date, etc.?
Old 09-24-2009, 08:29 PM   #18
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2008

Well, like I mentioned to the OP, you can try contacting Warner for help.

Of course, when it comes to Digital Copies, Warner has been less then helpful. But it never hurts to try.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:02 PM   #19
Banned

Jan 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by benricci View Post
Yeah, I don't understand the expiration date either. Makes no sense....
+1 A waste of media, I'd rather have a DVD copy of the film instead like Fox does.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:27 PM   #20

May 2007

I never realized this until now. Guess I better copy what I have before they expire too. Personally I got pissed when I bought Dark City only to find out New Line only distributes Windows only copies, no iTunes. It sure makes a nice coaster though.
As the great warrior-poet Ice Cube once said, 'If the day does not require an AK, it is good.' --- Generation Kill
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America