Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Suicide Squad: Hell to Pay 4K (Blu-ray)
$18.90
The Boss Baby 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Lady Bird (Blu-ray)
$19.96
NFL Super Bowl 52 Champions (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Outlander: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$34.99
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (Blu-ray)
$7.88
The Post (Blu-ray)
$19.99
10 Things I Hate About You (Blu-ray)
$5.99
Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping (Blu-ray)
$5.99
Doctor Who: The Complete Peter Capaldi Years (Blu-ray)
$79.99
Warcraft (Blu-ray)
$5.99
The Passion of Joan of Arc (Blu-ray)
$19.80
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Audio Theory and Discussion

Old 10-21-2009, 02:19 AM   #1
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2007
Victoria, BC
Default What are the way's receivers can be power rated?

I only know of one.

All channels driven which I belive is the best way to rate watts.

But why amd what are the other reasons of rating watts from a receiver or amps.
HDMI cable CBC
"Your intellect may be confused," he once wrote, "but your emotions will never lie to you." Roger Ebert Physical media forever! In home theater and in life, itís my firm belief that anything worth doing is worth overdoing. When UHD Blu-ray comes lay of the DNR! Canadian hero TCM OAR
Old 10-21-2009, 07:37 AM   #2

Sep 2009
State of Relativity
Send a message via Yahoo to HiDefRev
Default Power ratings

There are basically as many ways to rate power as there are stars in the sky. 1 channel driven, 2 channels driven, etc. Then there are different levels of Total Harmonic Distortion for each of the above - 10%, 1%, 0.1%, etc., etc. Then there is the PMPO method ( Peak Momentary Power Output - NEVER trust this method ) that measures a very short burst of power, as opposed to continuous power. Then there is the method of using different amounts of resistance ( 8 ohm, 4 ohm, etc. ) And I am sure that I have probably left something out. The most reliable would be - " X watts continuous, with all channels driven at less than 0.1% THD, into 8 0hms ( or 4 ohms, if that is the resistance of your speakers )". But, some manufacturers like to fudge the figures as much as they can.........
Living Room: Samsung PN60F5500 3D Plasma HDTV, Samsung BD-F5900 3D Blu-ray player, Onkyo TX-NR626 3D 7.2 AV Receiver, BIC DV84 Front Tower Speakers, BIC DV62si Side Surround and Back Surround Speakers, BIC DV62 CLR-S Center Speaker, BIC RtR EV-1200 Subwoofers x2, DIRECTV HR44 Genie DVR, Monoprice cables
Master Bedroom: Vizio E470VL 1080p HDTV, DIRECTV Genie Client
Old 10-21-2009, 12:44 PM   #3

Jan 2009
Positioning myself in front of the crease, getting slashed behind the knees by Billy Smith! :(

I agree with HiDefRev, as a lot of times the rating you see or quoted are only with one or two channels driven. Quite often, people overlook this fact, thinking they are getting all 140 watts for each channel, when pushing all 7. Since there is no "standard", this all becomes how to market the receiver, unfortunately.
VIDEO
Projector:Sanyo PLV-Z60
Screen:Elite 92" Manual
TV:Samsung 46A650
Blu-Ray Player:Oppo BDP-83
DVR:DirecTv HR34-700
AUDIO(6.2)
AVR:Pioneer Elite SC-05
Amps:3 Emotiva UPA-1's
Front Speakers:AV123 RSC-200 "Bigfoot" Center & Rocket Signature 850 Fronts
Surround Speakers:2 X Paradigm Titan v.2 Sides & 1 X Atom v.2 Back
Subs:2- SVS PC12-NSD's
OTHER
Remote:Harmony One
Transducer:
Buttkicker
Protection:Belkin PF-60
Old 10-21-2009, 03:23 PM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2007
Kelowna, BC
Send a message via AIM to richteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsberg21 View Post
I agree with HiDefRev, as a lot of times the rating you see or quoted are only with one or two channels driven. Quite often, people overlook this fact, thinking they are getting all 140 watts for each channel, when pushing all 7. Since there is no "standard", this all becomes how to market the receiver, unfortunately.
On this side of the Atlantic anyways. When I lived in the UK (10 years ago now!), consumer law stated that amplifier ratings must be in RMS WPC into 8 Ohms, both channels driven (ratings into other loads may also be given). In these days of multichanel amps, I would imagine that the definition has been modified to "all channels driven".
Rich Teer, Publisher
Vinylphile Magazine
www.vinylphilemag.com

My vinyl, tube, and electrostatic speaker stereo system.
Old 10-21-2009, 03:29 PM   #5
Blu-ray Knight

May 2008
Jacksonville, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by richteer View Post
On this side of the Atlantic anyways. When I lived in the UK (10 years ago now!), consumer law stated that amplifier ratings must be in RMS WPC into 8 Ohms, both channels driven (ratings into other loads may also be given). In these days of multichanel amps, I would imagine that the definition has been modified to "all channels driven".
I would love to see such a requirement here as it would make it much easier to compare different receivers/amps by the specs alone.
Steve
Old 10-21-2009, 03:43 PM   #6
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2008
555 Naim Street

Quote:
Originally Posted by richteer View Post
Oh so true Rich! I wish this would be a universal consumer law. Besides,(you and I both know this all too well)- POWER ISN'T EVERYTHING!
Old 10-21-2009, 05:03 PM   #7
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2007
Kelowna, BC
Send a message via AIM to richteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman325 View Post
I would love to see such a requirement here as it would make it much easier to compare different receivers/amps by the specs alone.
Agreed, although I should point out that an amplifier's power rating is absolutely no indication of its sound quality, and that's really the only parameter that matters!
Rich Teer, Publisher
Vinylphile Magazine
www.vinylphilemag.com

My vinyl, tube, and electrostatic speaker stereo system.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Audio Theory and Discussion