Best Blu-ray Deals

Black Friday Sale is Live, $3.99 Blu-ray Movies »
Soon: Captain Phillips ()
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Breaking Bad: The Final Season (Blu-ray)
$9.99
1 hr ago
12 Years a Slave (Blu-ray)
$6.96
5 hrs ago
American Hustle (Blu-ray)
$6.00
7 hrs ago
X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$9.99
1 hr ago
Riddick (Blu-ray)
$6.96
7 hrs ago
Ender's Game (Blu-ray)
$6.96
5 hrs ago
Good Will Hunting (Blu-ray)
$3.99
10 hrs ago
The Rover (Blu-ray)
$6.96
4 hrs ago
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Blu-ray)
$9.00
6 hrs ago
Escape Plan (Blu-ray)
$6.96
5 hrs ago
Super 8 (Blu-ray)
$4.99
10 hrs ago
Draft Day (Blu-ray)
$9.96
6 hrs ago
Breaking Bad: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$9.99
1 hr ago
About Time (Blu-ray)
$8.00
6 hrs ago

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 07-13-2007, 07:58 PM   #1

May 2007
Default Warner Bros. painfully still backing HD DVD

Check out this quote from Steve Nickerson, senior vice president, high hefinition media at Warner Bros:
http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/news/ne...vd-claim.phtml

Why does Warner persist with this nonsense? Seriously!!...
Old 07-13-2007, 08:16 PM   #2

Apr 2007

because he is clearly smoking something too good for the rest of us
60GB Playstation 3
Dell XPS 1710 Laptop with Blu-Ray.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:23 PM   #3
Expert Member

Jun 2007
orange county, ca
Default yeah i posted this in the blu-ray player forum but its appropriate here too:

seriously...how frustrating is this? fighting facts with speculation...

now someone needs to do a study finding out how many video game users use their consoles for movie watching? i used my xbox, 360 and now ps3 for exactly those things...moreso than videogames. his assertion is ridiculous...especially considering the statistical landslide of blu-ray player sales (including the ps3 and pcs with blu ray drives) over hd-dvd machines. so lets say that only 1/2 of ps3 owners actually use their systems for blu-ray playback (which is a ludicrous statistical hackjob to give hd-dvd a handicap) - blu ray would still be leading the market... in an instance like this...we have to look at dvd sales and blu-ray is clearly winning (plus its even more clearcut when you consider the fact that hd-dvd had a significant head start)
"Literature adds to reality, it does not simply describe it. It enriches the necessary competencies that daily life requires and provides; and in this respect, it irrigates the deserts that our lives have already become."
C. S. Blu-is
Old 07-13-2007, 08:23 PM   #4
Expert Member

Jan 2007
USA

His statement:
"This is simply because those who buy a standalone player are interested solely in buying and watching movies and other video content, whereas those with HD drives built into games consoles are primarily interested in games."

Not true:
I own 3 PS3 games and 140 blu-ray movies. I bought the PS3 to watch movies. I watch usually 1 a night, but I wanted the option to play games when I want to. I usually play games 1 or 2 times a month.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:26 PM   #5
Blu-ray Guru

May 2006

Quote:
"These figures are especially important because the standalone player market is by far the biggest driver of movie sales in the long-term."

"This is simply because those who buy a standalone player are interested solely in buying and watching movies and other video content, whereas those with HD drives built into games consoles are primarily interested in games."
long term, yes standalones are more important. however, in what ways do you introduce your product to the consumer? right now, you can offer only standalones, or incorporate it into a product that the mass market wants that will intoduce it to millions of people without them having to buy one single extra. then, these people go out and buy a standalone later. makes sense to me...
:)

Sony KDF-50E2000, Yamaha RX-V1700, Samsung BD-P1000, PS3 60GB, B&W 602 S2 fronts, B&W CC6 center, B&W 601 S2 rears, M&K-125 sub

-Girls hang out, apply make-up, and have long talks in the bathroom. Men do not.

-...blacking out is, as Hemingway pointed out, a way of experiencing the great mystery of death, without dying.

-december BD's- 5/ warner 3... warner total ~15
Old 07-13-2007, 08:36 PM   #6
Power Member

Mar 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrchisholm View Post
His statement:

Not true:
I own 3 PS3 games and 140 blu-ray movies. I bought the PS3 to watch movies. I watch usually 1 a night, but I wanted the option to play games when I want to. I usually play games 1 or 2 times a month.
I agree with you. I own a PS3 and have 53 Blu-ray movies and growing. 95% of the time my PS3 is use for watching DVD and Blu-ray moives. The PS3 price is just to good for a blu-ray player, it just happens to have the bounus of being able to play video games.

But most people are still stuck in the 90s were a video game system is for games and a DVD player is for Moives.

I'm sure WB is making money off HD-DVD and Blu-ray, so why stop. Look at the best selling HD-DVD movies of 2007 so far. I believe most of them are from WB. Why would they give up the profit?

Last edited by MasterXeus; 07-13-2007 at 08:48 PM.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:41 PM   #7
Power Member

Jul 2006

40+ BD movies and 0 ps3 games for my PS3
Old 07-13-2007, 08:41 PM   #8
Special Member

Jun 2007
South NJ

I have never owned a standalone player and never plan too. I used PS2, Xbox 360, PS3, laptop and my desktop to watch movies for the past 7 years.
Playstation 3
PS3 Game Collection - 32
PSN Name: TheDude059
Founder of the BluClan (7/7/07)

MyBluTech/BluClan
Old 07-13-2007, 08:46 PM   #9
Power Member

Dec 2006
Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReduxInflux View Post
now someone needs to do a study finding out how many video game users use their consoles for movie watching?
Actually you don't. That would just be giving creedence to the entire sideshow. Look at the movie sales and you have your answer. There is no logical reason why anyone who buys an HD-DVD standalone would have a different attach rate than someone buying a blu standalone... both are enthusiasts. Ok, so let's assume the same attach rate for standalones.

Now let's assume that those of us who also see our PS3 as a movie player, have an HDTV and all the other junk one would need for HD movie viewing also would have a fairly similar attach rate. I mean why wouldn't we? Are we not enthusiasts? Are there lots of people out there just buying 1 or 2 movies? Doubt it, you either see it as a movie player or you don't for the most part.

Now you can figure out the rest w/ simple math. Howveer the bottom line is just look at the sales of movies. Then the real scale-tipper will be that many current PS3 owers who do not use their console for movies will in the future. They already have the darn machine. They'll figure it out sooner or later or maybe they just have to buy the rest of the equipment.
Top 5 Blu-ray Movies: Pan's Labyrinth, The Prestige, 2001: A Space Odyssey, POTC: Curse of the Black Pearl, Apocalypto
Top 5 Blu-ray Games: GTA IV, Oblivion: Elder Scrolls IV, Call of Duty 4, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, Burnout Paradise
Old 07-13-2007, 08:47 PM   #10
Power Member

Dec 2006
Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrchisholm View Post
His statement:

Not true:
He's just trying to oversimplify because it makes his point.
Top 5 Blu-ray Movies: Pan's Labyrinth, The Prestige, 2001: A Space Odyssey, POTC: Curse of the Black Pearl, Apocalypto
Top 5 Blu-ray Games: GTA IV, Oblivion: Elder Scrolls IV, Call of Duty 4, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, Burnout Paradise
Old 07-13-2007, 08:49 PM   #11
Power Member

Dec 2006
Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by theknub View Post
long term, yes standalones are more important. however, in what ways do you introduce your product to the consumer? right now, you can offer only standalones, or incorporate it into a product that the mass market wants that will intoduce it to millions of people without them having to buy one single extra. then, these people go out and buy a standalone later. makes sense to me...
Wrong. Standalones will not be more important long term. Convergence is a real trend. I'll never but a standalone because I can just add another PS3.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:09 PM   #12
Banned

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-Ray Buckeye View Post
Wrong. Standalones will not be more important long term. Convergence is a real trend. I'll never but a standalone because I can just add another PS3.
Actually standalones will be more important long term! There are quite a few consumers that won't buy a "video game system" to watch movies, it's a stigma that seems like it won't go away anytime soon. Not too mention, standalones will get cheaper and cheaper, and low prices help a new technology reach the masses more than convergence.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:14 PM   #13

Nov 2006
Toronto

^^^ True. But, every PS/3 now owned is hooked up to something. And it is a total waste if it isn't a nice HD capable display.

Convincing people who already own an HD disc player to spend $25 on Pirates of the Carribean 3 would seem to be a heck of a lot easier than convincing them to spend $250 on an HD DVD player and then join in the harassment of Disney for a couple of years to convince them to put out product for it.

Gary
Old 07-13-2007, 09:15 PM   #14

Jan 2007
Atlanta, GA
Send a message via Yahoo to donricouga

What an idiot. Why then does hddvd lead bluray in standalone sales yet bluray leads hddvd in disc/movie sales ?
Easy ! The PS3 !
(In napoleans voice .... Gosh !)
120GB PS3
HD-A3 HDDVD Player
Marantz sr7001
Samsung LN52A650
Polk Lsi(Fronts) and Fxi5(Rears)
1080p plus uncompressed PCM /Lossless Audio = Bliss
Old 07-13-2007, 09:20 PM   #15
Banned

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by dialog_gvf View Post
^^^ True. But, every PS/3 now owned is hooked up to something. And it is a total waste if it isn't a nice HD capable display.

Convincing people who already own an HD disc player to spend $25 on Pirates of the Carribean 3 would seem to be a heck of a lot easier than convincing them to spend $250 on an HD DVD player and then join in the harassment of Disney for a couple of years to convince them to put out product for it.

Gary
I agree Gary, but I'm talking bigger picture than the next year or so. The PS3 is obviously VERY important in the emergence of blu-ray, but as far as being the player of choice for cost-conscious shoppers in the future, I don't see it being the first option.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:25 PM   #16

Nov 2006
Toronto

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem471 View Post
I agree Gary, but I'm talking bigger picture than the next year or so. The PS3 is obviously VERY important in the emergence of blu-ray, but as far as being the player of choice for cost-conscious shoppers in the future, I don't see it being the first option.
I would agree completely. But, then I'm not sure the cost-concious shopper is buying a sufficiently big 1080p display for HD to shine, or eager to spend the premium over DVD.

We're still in the early adopter phase, and yet the hardware and software are a heck of a lot cheaper than what was available at the 1-year point of DVD (even NOT adjusted for 9 years of inflation).

Gary
Old 07-13-2007, 09:33 PM   #17
Banned

May 2007
Northern Va(Woodbridge)

Quote:
Originally Posted by donricouga View Post
What an idiot. Why then does hddvd lead bluray in standalone sales yet bluray leads hddvd in disc/movie sales ?
Easy ! The PS3 !
(In napoleans voice .... Gosh !)
It's called marketing.
Besides it is impossible to get data who who uses the PS3 strictly for BD playback, games etc. Plus in the standalone sales, HD DVD is winnning so of course they are going to release data that slants HD DVD.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:52 PM   #18
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2007
Indianapolis

Quote:
Originally Posted by atdm71 View Post
Check out this quote from Steve Nickerson, senior vice president, high hefinition media at Warner Bros:
http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/news/ne...vd-claim.phtml

Stuart Miles, the author of the article, obviously did not use a spell checker. There are several typos in the article.

Seriously, I am trying to find a way to contact Steve Nickerson and tell him how wrong he is.

If you look to the right, there are other article links. One of them states:
"PlayStation 3 sales increase 2500% following price cut."
Old 07-13-2007, 10:13 PM   #19
Banned

Apr 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by atdm71 View Post
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ that's why.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:26 PM   #20
Sound Insider/M.P.S.E.

Dec 2006

Alot of these studio guys do not understand that Sony has completely changed the game by putting a blu-ray drive in the PS3. Honestly, I am not a gamer, and the PS3 is not just a gaming machine, and these studio executives need to learn this. They are thinking in an old business model in a new world.

Yes, I would have normally purchased a stand alone if it could do what the PS3 can. However, none of the current blu-ray players can play SACD's, allow me to stream music into my system or store it, allow my god-children to play games, or can be updated via the internet. It was also at the time the cheapest way to get into blu-ray. Alot of us went that direction early in this war, and that has changed the game completely and the studio exec's need to get hip to this news. We are not in the DVD, VHS or CD model. The lines have blurred considerably with the PS3, so to dismiss it as much as the HD DVD group has is their undoing. They are not paying attention to disc sales at all, or it would be impossible to dismiss the effect of the PS3.
Customized Toshiba 65H84 RPTV 9" tubes
Sony PS3
Toshiba HD-A35
Grass Valley Pro HD A/V switcher/router
Onkyo PR-SC885P Pre-Pro
3 M-EQ 2300 equalizers
1 Berhinger feedback destroyer
1 Onkyo M-508 power amp (sub)
3 Onkyo M-504 power amp
1 Onkyo M-282 power amp
1 Circlesurround CS-3X jr
2 custom 4 way horn hybrid monitors