Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Hannibal: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$15.00
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug 3D (Blu-ray)
$32.99
Nightbreed (Blu-ray)
$20.95
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$79.99
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Kingpin (Blu-ray)
$14.39
Planes: Fire & Rescue (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Welcome to the Space Show (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Scanners (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Tommy Boy (Blu-ray)
$4.88
Congo (Blu-ray)
$8.69
The Girl Hunters (Blu-ray)
$19.99
How to Train Your Dragon 2 (Blu-ray)
$19.98
Raw Force (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Dragon Ball Z: Season 8 (Blu-ray)
$32.18
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED
Old 10-10-2009, 05:06 AM   #1
Special Member

Apr 2008
Default HDMI Inputs

Hey guys, I'm thinking of upgrading to another Blu-ray players. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if there are any Sony Blu-Ray Players with HDMI INPUTS and OUTPUTS on it.

I've checked the site itself, but it just says it has HDMI connections. I'm looking at the BDP 550.

Thanks for your help guys.
Old 10-10-2009, 05:28 AM   #2

Jul 2009

What would an hdmi input be used for on a blu-ray player? Not trying to be rude, just wondering because I can't think of a use for it.

Hi, my name is Phil and I'm an addict.
Epson 8100 Home Cinema Projector with 92" Draper Screen / Yamaha RX-V765 Receiver / L&R Channel- Mirage Omni C150 / Center- PSB Image C40 / 2 Polk RM101's for rears / Earthquake Kompressor S-10 & Polk PSW 505 Subwoofers / Sony PS3 120gb / APC H10 Power Conditioner
Old 10-10-2009, 05:56 AM   #3
Special Member

Apr 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedsDead View Post
What would an hdmi input be used for on a blu-ray player? Not trying to be rude, just wondering because I can't think of a use for it.
Well, I wondering if any blu-ray player had one so that I could hook it up to my surround sound via HDMI.

My surround sound system only has and HDMI output. So I was wondering if a blu-ray had one so I could have the player hooked up to the TV from the player output to the TV input, then have an HDMI cable from the player via input to the HDMI output on my surround sound receiver
Old 10-10-2009, 06:15 AM   #4
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Little Rock, AR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikt View Post
Well, I wondering if any blu-ray player had one so that I could hook it up to my surround sound via HDMI.

My surround sound system only has and HDMI output. So I was wondering if a blu-ray had one so I could have the player hooked up to the TV from the player output to the TV input, then have an HDMI cable from the player via input to the HDMI output on my surround sound receiver
That really doesn't make sense; HDMI "daisy-chaining" is usually the other way around--connect the BD player to the AV receiver's input, then the AV receiver's output to the TV.

If you're not yet ready to replace your surround sound, you'll probably need an HDMI switch (but be prepared for compatibility issues), or better yet a TV with multiple HDMI inputs. The best option, however, would be to replace the surround sound with a new AV receiver that has multiple true (NOT "passthrough") HDMI inputs, preferably a stand-alone receiver with Dolby TrueHD & DTS-HD Master Audio decoders for the most flexibility (though lesser options may work for you).
Old 10-10-2009, 06:19 AM   #5

Jul 2009

A receiver with only hdmi output and no input is an odd situation. Nonetheless, what you are suggesting won't work. The receiver output to the blu-ray player input will make no difference, it won't give you surround sound. The receiver will only output what you inputing into it. So with no hdmi input to your receiver, nothing will happen. You could try using an optical output from a blu-ray player to your receiver, then use the hdmi on the blu-ray player to your tv for the video.

Hi, my name is Phil and I'm an addict.
Epson 8100 Home Cinema Projector with 92" Draper Screen / Yamaha RX-V765 Receiver / L&R Channel- Mirage Omni C150 / Center- PSB Image C40 / 2 Polk RM101's for rears / Earthquake Kompressor S-10 & Polk PSW 505 Subwoofers / Sony PS3 120gb / APC H10 Power Conditioner
Old 10-10-2009, 06:20 AM   #6
Special Member

Apr 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBBrittain View Post
That really doesn't make sense; HDMI "daisy-chaining" is usually the other way around--connect the BD player to the AV receiver's input, then the AV receiver's output to the TV.
My surround sound system only has an HDMI ouput connection. So right now, I have an optical cable connected from the Blu-Ray player to the receiver; and and HDMI cable connected from the TV to the player.

Last edited by Snikt; 10-10-2009 at 06:24 AM.
Old 10-10-2009, 09:45 AM   #7

Sep 2009

It seems the OP has a receiver that upconverts all other video sources via HDMI, but has no HDMI inputs. Very strange!
Old 10-10-2009, 11:25 AM   #8
Blu-ray Champion

May 2008
Washington, DC Metro

Quote:
My surround sound system only has an HDMI ouput connection. So right now, I have an optical cable connected from the Blu-Ray player to the receiver; and and HDMI cable connected from the TV to the player.
It might help if we know what surround sound system you have and all devices that need to be connected. We can help you with a correct configuration.
Panasonic TC-P65VT30
Onkyo Pro PR-SC5508P | M2Tech Young DAC | Emotiva XPA-1 (x3), XPA-2
Oppo BDP-93 | DirecTV HR23-700 HD-DVR
Sony Playstation 3 | Nintendo Wii | Apple TV 2, Mac Mini (iTunes Server), iPad
B&W 804S, HTM3S, CWM DS8S | SVS PB12-NSD | Denon AH-D2000 Headphones
Tripp Lite HT1210ISOCTR Power Conditioner, SMART1000LCD UPS System
My flickr account | My Five Year HT Upgrade Plan
Next Upgrade: Cables
Old 10-10-2009, 07:37 PM   #9

Apr 2008
Default model

Quote:

Please post your receivers make and model number
Thanks.
Old 10-10-2009, 08:15 PM   #10
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

I'm guessing the OP owns a HTIB since most of these only include one HDMI output and no inputs.

Best thing would be to upgrade to a new receiver even if you have to buy a low end model for the time being.
Old 10-11-2009, 12:06 AM   #11
Special Member

Apr 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by louhamilton View Post
It might help if we know what surround sound system you have and all devices that need to be connected. We can help you with a correct configuration.
Its a Sony system with wireless speakers. The receiver is basically a upconverting 5 disc dvd player. The set-up I have right now is really the only way for me to get the surround sound to work.
Old 10-11-2009, 12:31 AM   #12

Apr 2008
Default Ok

Quote:
Its a Sony system with wireless speakers. The receiver is basically a upconverting 5 disc dvd player. The set-up I have right now is really the only way for me to get the surround sound to work.
that explains the HDMI out and no HDMI in
Old 10-15-2009, 11:40 AM   #13

Jul 2009
Montreal

Friend bought this setup though I'm not sure if it exactly like yours...but it's a Sony 5 dvd changer surround rear wireless setup...
you have 2 options IF you have the same model...

1- On the rear, you have another plug for a special adapter to add another component (bluray etc)...It should be, if I remember right, next to your hdmi out...but of course this is not included and you need to buy it from sony.
2- (and this is what we did...works fine, but kind of redundant), hooked up a receivers digital OUT to the sony 5 disc dvd player, and plugged all the accessories (bluray, iPod & satellite, to the receiver) and he still can add to the receiver.

He's still figuering out if he will keep the 5 disc player or reciever...but he will be getting rid of 1 of the 2. I'm gonna guess the 5 disc player...other than the wireless speaker...seeems to me to be a waste seeing how you can not connect anything else to it...
Samsung BD-P3600/4600 Tips, tricks and info (Note: Page will probably not load properly with IE)...

Sharp Aquos LC-52D82U 52" LCD
Samsung BD-P3600
Yamaha RX-V1500
Polkaudio RM6900 (5.1) Speakers / Polkaudio RTi Series FXi5 (Back) Speakers
iMac 2 Ghz PPC
Old 10-15-2009, 11:43 AM   #14

Jul 2009
Montreal

for got to add to the above...

while the AUDIO is hooked to the 5 disc dvd player, the VIDEO for each component is hooked to their own hdmi's on the tv...
example..
bluray is on HDMI 1
satellite is on HDMI 2
dvd is on HDMI 3
Samsung BD-P3600/4600 Tips, tricks and info (Note: Page will probably not load properly with IE)...

Sharp Aquos LC-52D82U 52" LCD
Samsung BD-P3600
Yamaha RX-V1500
Polkaudio RM6900 (5.1) Speakers / Polkaudio RTi Series FXi5 (Back) Speakers
iMac 2 Ghz PPC
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders