Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, From $3.99 »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Dark Knight Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$27.99
7 hrs ago
X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$9.99
8 hrs ago
Breaking Bad: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$149.99
7 hrs ago
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 6 (Blu-ray)
$31.99

Rain Man (Blu-ray)
$3.99
2 hrs ago
Downton Abbey: Seasons 1, 2, 3 & 4 (Blu-ray)
$39.99
17 hrs ago
The Newsroom: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$22.99
7 hrs ago
Band of Brothers (Blu-ray)
$22.99
7 hrs ago
How to Train Your Dragon 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
16 hrs ago
The Walking Dead: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
8 hrs ago
Lone Survivor (Blu-ray)
$7.99
15 hrs ago
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
17 hrs ago

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray.com > Newbie Discussion

Old 10-11-2009, 05:10 AM   #1

Oct 2009
USA Can Blu Ray Player connect to internet via PC?

This is a technical question. I have the Sony 550 Blue Ray Player. I live in a area where I get free WiFi so I don't have a router and use a laptop. I do have a 4 port 10/100 switch. The WiFi is not secure.
BR player is set to DHCP. DNS is Auto.
BR player does not have activity lites but the switch is showing green with no collisions. Laptop has limited or no connectivity, and BR menu says its not connected at all. Anyone else doing this type of setup?
Thanks in advance!
Old 10-12-2009, 02:12 AM   #2
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2007
Metropolis

Does the Sony player have built-in Wi-fi? My guess is that it can only connect to the internet over ethernet, which is a cable that hooks up to a router.
Old 10-12-2009, 02:47 AM   #3

Oct 2009
USA No built in WiFi

Unit has RJ-45 connector to connect CAT5 cable. I don't need a router because WiFi is piped in from across the street. I want to use my Laptop and share the internet with the Player. I am using WinXP, with an 10/100 mbs switch.
Old 10-12-2009, 04:35 AM   #4
Blu-ray Champion

May 2008
Washington, DC Metro

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanestan View Post
Unit has RJ-45 connector to connect CAT5 cable. I don't need a router because WiFi is piped in from across the street. I want to use my Laptop and share the internet with the Player. I am using WinXP, with an 10/100 mbs switch.
You will probably want to look into a Gaming wireless AP. That should be able to connect to the free wireless you have access to. These usually have a 4 port switch in them so you can connect wired devices to them.
Panasonic TC-P65VT30
Onkyo Pro PR-SC5508P | M2Tech Young DAC | Emotiva XPA-1 (x3), XPA-2
Oppo BDP-93 | DirecTV HR23-700 HD-DVR
Sony Playstation 3 | Nintendo Wii | Apple TV 2, Mac Mini (iTunes Server), iPad
B&W 804S, HTM3S, CWM DS8S | SVS PB12-NSD | Denon AH-D2000 Headphones
Tripp Lite HT1210ISOCTR Power Conditioner, SMART1000LCD UPS System
My flickr account | My Five Year HT Upgrade Plan
Next Upgrade: Cables
Old 10-12-2009, 05:16 AM   #5

Oct 2009
USA Another piece?

A Gaming Wireless AP? How does that work, like a router?
Old 10-13-2009, 08:02 PM   #6

Jun 2009

Quote:
A Gaming Wireless AP? How does that work, like a router?
An Access Point (AP) is actually something that sends out the wireless signal. The item louhamilton is referring to is a Wireless bridge. Various companies (Linksys for sure) sell them as Gaming Adapters but they can really be used to connect any item with only a hard wire connection to a wireless connection.

Your other option is to use internet connection sharing and share your wireless connection on your desktop, then you should be able to connect to the internet using your current setup (possibly requiring a bit more configuring).

just connecting to a switch won't work because the switch does not give out IP addresses. if you set up internet connection sharing that should then cause the computer to give out IP's for you other devices

-Agrare
Old 10-13-2009, 10:39 PM   #7

Oct 2009
Default Tried that Internet sharing

I appreciate the reply. Maybe you can help me the setup because I am not getting the results I want. Here is what I have:
Laptop is Dell Inspiron E1705 with Dell wireless 1500 with 802.11.
The wireless card is manged with a Dell WLAN utility (windows XP does not configure) with TCP/IP settings set to "Obtain IP Automatically" and "Obtain DNS Automatically"
The Dell Utility shows Gateway as 192.168.1.1 with client showing 192.168.1.110. Connection to internet is pretty good.

The LAN card is a broadcom 440x 10/100 intergrated card and is configured Client for MS Networks.
TCP/IP Settings are the same as above but if I make changes to the NIC, (the standard 192.168.1.1; subnet 255.255.255.0) I loose my internet connection.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:32 PM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008
Mobile, AL

Quote:
Are you using a crossover ethernet cable between the laptop and the player, and have you set up internet sharing on the laptop?
Old 10-14-2009, 03:12 AM   #9

Oct 2009
Default No peer to peer

Using standard CAT5 cable with a Dynex 10/100 5 port Ethernet Switch to connect laptop to blue ray player
Old 10-14-2009, 01:30 PM   #10
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008
Mobile, AL

I believe that in order for that to work you will need a crossover ethernet cable. Basically, you're trying to set up a network without a router, so for proper communication between the two devices, a crossover cable is required. Then you should just need to set up internet connection sharing on the laptop.
Old 10-14-2009, 03:51 PM   #11

Jun 2009

is this the switch your using?
http://www.dynexproducts.com/pc-185-...et-switch.aspx

if so I don't think you need a crossover cable because of this line:
"Auto negotiation ports support auto MDI/MDIX function, allowing each port to operate as un uplink or general port"

I believe most switches (at least all the ones I've used) behave like this. you'd only need a crossover cable if your going direct from laptop to blu-ray player.

Using this method your blu-ray will only have internet when your laptop is on.

I haven't set it up in a while but basically you need to open up my network places and then click on the view connections on the left side. I think you then can right click on your wireless connection and you will have an option for internet connection sharing. You may need to enable something else first, I can't remember. you can probably google for "set up internet connection sharing" or something similar to find more detailed instructions.

It's probably easier to buy an ethernet bridge (generally marketed as gaming adapters) and connect it through this, but the internet connection sharing should work as well and shouldn't require you to buy anything else.

-Agrare
Old 10-15-2009, 11:39 PM   #12

Oct 2009
Default Yes that is the right Ethernet switch

The link connects to model DX-ESW5 Ver. 2.0. Right now, the ethernet is connected to the bridge connection but the WiFi side is not connected to the bridge. While watching the Dell Wireless utility, when I do connect to the bridge, the WiFi signal is still present, but the gateway is not available and "Connectiion Status" goes from 'connected' to 'associated'. When removed from the bridge (WiFi side) the connection returns to normal.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:09 PM   #13

Mar 2010
Default got a cross over cable.. now what?

Kinda new here people ,,, have pity. I have a dell 8100 laptop with wireless. I want to connect to a Sony Bluray s360. I have a Netgear wireless router upstairs on second floor. I bought a cat5 crossover cable to connect the dell to the bluray. when I do I get a Router DHCP server is enabled. Where did I go wrong? If I disable the DHCP will I screw up everything else connected to the router?

Part 2 of the wheels turning in my head are:

Right next to the bluray is a Nintendo Wii that picks up wireless just fine. Question and thought is to get a usb to female cat5 rj45 connector , attach it to the rear usb of the Wii and using a crossover cat5 cable connect the Wii to the rear rj45 of the bluray... can that be done?
Old 03-10-2010, 03:05 PM   #14

Mar 2010

I'm brand new and I don't know where or how to ask this,,seems like you'll have the knowledge to answer this...how do I get more than netflix(which I have) like utube,break.com etc on my tv?? I have a 1080p lcd tv hooked up HDMI to a insignia bluray player..wi fi model...I chose to connect via ethernet cable..cat5e..help please
Old 03-18-2010, 08:58 PM   #15

Jan 2009

Quote:
This is a technical question. I have the Sony 550 Blue Ray Player. I live in a area where I get free WiFi so I don't have a router and use a laptop. I do have a 4 port 10/100 switch. The WiFi is not secure.
BR player is set to DHCP. DNS is Auto.
BR player does not have activity lites but the switch is showing green with no collisions. Laptop has limited or no connectivity, and BR menu says its not connected at all. Anyone else doing this type of setup?
Thanks in advance!
YES!!! you can bridge the connection that you use with your laptop. so basically you can share the internet that your laptop is using and using an ethernet cable between the PC and blu ray player it should work. i do it with my xbox 360 all the time.

Look here for more info: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFCBC24C1cA
Television
Brand: Samsung
Model: LN40B500P3FXZA
Purchased: Dec 09

Blu-Ray Player
Samsung BD-C5500
Purchased:Mar 10
Old 04-10-2010, 02:25 PM   #16

Apr 2010
Thumbs up Use your laptop to get internet on the BD player

In Windows 7 you have to go to the properties of the LAN (ethernet) adapter and change to a static IP on each device. To change the IP, go to TCP IPv4 properties of the LAN adapter (network and sharing settings then change adapter settings). On the Laptop change the IP to 192.168.0.1 then subnet to 255.255.255.0 and leave blank or 0 all others.
On the BD player you have to go to network settings and assign to the LAN IP 192.168.0.2, subnet to 255.255.255.0, default gateway to 192.168.0.1, DNS 192.168.0.1.
You have to enable ICS (internet connection sharing) in the laptop. To do this go to the wireless adapter properties (not the LAN, the WIRELESS adapter), advance tab and enable it.

Note that most LAN adapters do not need crossover cable for a direct connection but if your laptop is very old you may need to get one.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray.com > Newbie Discussion