Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Fairy Tail: Part 12 (Blu-ray)
$31.69
Hannibal: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$15.00
Minority Report (Blu-ray)
$7.88
The Flintstones (Blu-ray)
$8.99
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug 3D (Blu-ray)
$32.99
A.I. Artificial Intelligence (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$79.99
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Nightbreed (Blu-ray)
$20.95
The Bubble 3D (Blu-ray)
$22.99
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Kite (Blu-ray)
$17.96
Planes: Fire & Rescue (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Magic in the Moonlight (Blu-ray)
$22.79
Scanners (Blu-ray)
$19.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 10-19-2009, 07:29 PM   #1

Aug 2009
Default Panasonic DMP-BD60 won't recognize any discs

Hello All, I need help.
For the past 4 months, I have a Panasonic DMP-BD601K player which is the Costco version of the DMP-BD60. I had just done the last firmware upgrade (2.1) and had tested it by watching "A Bugs Life". It went through the entire movie without problems. Last night, however, I was re-watching "A Bugs Life" and somewhere near the middle of the movie, the picture froze. It won't respond to anything except the turn off switch.

After turning it off and back on, the player would whir on for about 5 seconds then came back with a NO DISC message. I since tried unsuccessfully about half a dozen blu-ray discs and an equal number of DVDs and CDs...all of which the unit had recognized previously.

I tried pulling out the power plug, held the power on button for 3 seconds to reset, reset everything back to factory setting...nothing worked...

What else can I do besides trying to return the unit? TIA.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:33 PM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2009
Kansas City area

Sounds like what happened when my PS3 bricked. When the laser could no longer read discs it first froze and was then unable to read anything I put in it. Even if it isn't the laser I am unaware of any DIY fix that will solve your problem. Hopefully you're still under warranty.
Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
Salk Sound: Supercharged SongTower, Supercharged SongCenter, Surround I rears, Salk/Rythmik 12" sub x2
Denon AVR-4311, PS3, Harmony Ultimate
Old 10-19-2009, 07:51 PM   #3
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007

Sounds like a return to me...
Pioneer 9G Kuro's 5020 with Elite board swap, KRP500m, Elite 111, Elite 151. Onkyo 706, Polk TSi 5.1 all the way around & 10" sub. Pioneer BD player & Panasonic BD player along with three PS3's, all original 60gig units. 2x Harmony 1100 & 1 Harmony 1000 touch screen remotes. About 1,000 Blu-rays...
My Brother R.I.P. Sep 9, 1980 - (killed) July 23, 2008"Dream as if you will live forever, Live as if you will die today"
Old 10-19-2009, 10:41 PM   #4
Power Member

Jan 2008
AUSTRALIA

All you can do really is call the manufacturer & askfor some advice but I think you will have to return the unit to them so they can check it out
Turn off from the power supply for a few minutes & then turn it back on, If you can access the main menu the try to RESET to factory settings.
"It changed colours, like the chameleon, it uses the jungle"
Old 10-19-2009, 10:47 PM   #5
Special Member

Jul 2008

Costco's lifetime return policy does still apply to BD and DVD players, so I would just exchange it there for another unit.
rotation report (my media consumption)
splatter of light (my creative output)
Old 10-20-2009, 04:38 AM   #6

Aug 2009

Thanks everybody for your answers. I didn't know that Costco's still got the lifetime return policy on the BD and DVD players...That is so cool... That explained that this afternoon I took it back just in case and at least can get a receipt from them because I had lost my receipt and Costco gave me full refund on the unit. Interestingly when I bought it, it was about $230 and now it only costs $160 so I actually made out alright.

I'm sure my unit failing was just a fluke but...Well, just for kicks, I bought a Sony BD player equivalence of the S360 for $180 instead.

So far I've played Quantum of Solace on the Sony for about an hour...my impression was that the Sony PQ is slightly better than the Panasonic but the sound seems to be worse...maybe it's just my imagination.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders