Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Blow (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Last Starfighter (Blu-ray)
$6.96
The Quiet Man (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Psycho-Pass: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$96.32
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
My Big Fat Greek Wedding (Blu-ray)
$6.98
The Spectacular Spider-Man: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Beyond Outrage (Blu-ray)
$12.96
Slap Shot (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
WCW's Greatest Pay-Per-View Matches, Volume 1 (Blu-ray)
$18.74
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Rio Grande (Blu-ray)
$14.98
Far and Away (Blu-ray)
$10.49

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 10-22-2009, 03:23 PM   #1
Power Member

Jan 2008
Virginia
Default To import Battlestar Galactica from Amazon.co.uk?

I would appreciate any help to these questions. Thanks, in advance!

I want to import the Battlestar Galactica Complete Series BD set from Amazon.co.uk. I have never imported any BDs or anything, for that matter. So I have questions about the import process:

At checkout, including shipping, the cost is approximately 101 pounds (about $168). Can I expect any additional charges, like VAT or customs? If so, how much should I expect and who will I pay?

Also, will this be delivered directly to my house or will have to pick up from my local post office or another location?

Anyone who has imported, I would appreciate your knowledge!

***UPDATE***
I received my set from Amazon.co.uk and am thrilled. I posted pictures in posts #20 and #21.

Last edited by MyBoyBlu; 11-07-2009 at 06:00 PM.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:03 PM   #2
Power Member

May 2009
The Fissure of Woe

I bought single blurays from amazon.uk never a set.

The movie came in a corrugated box.
It was delivered to my mailbox at the house however for a bigger box, I think if you are not in the house then they will leave a note and you will have to go pick it up from the post office.
I never got charged any customs when getting movies from amazon.uk

Maybe someone else can chime in as well.
There are stories of young men stopping to gaze longingly at statues of the beautiful goddesses, only to forget themselves and die of thirst while simply looking on.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:14 PM   #3

Apr 2009
Midlothian, VA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyBoyBlu View Post

I want to import the Battlestar Galactica Complete Series BD set from Amazon.co.uk. I have never imported any BDs or anything, for that matter. So I have questions about the import process:

At checkout, including shipping, the cost is approximately 101 pounds (about $168). Can I expect any additional charges, like VAT or customs? If so, how much should I expect and who will I pay?

Also, will this be delivered directly to my house or will have to pick up from my local post office or another location?

Where are you located, in the USA I am guessing?

If so, then no, you will not have to pay any customs or VAT, in fact, Amazon.uk removes the VAT from the item when you order it here in the USA, as only customers in the UK have to pay it....

It should be delivered directly to your house by the US Postal Service just like any other normal mail/package.....it comes via airmail from there to here, and is usually pretty quick (in my experiences)....
Old 10-22-2009, 04:19 PM   #4
Power Member

Jan 2008
Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMAangel View Post

If so, then no, you will not have to pay any customs or VAT, in fact, Amazon.uk removes the VAT from the item when you order it here in the USA, as only customers in the UK have to pay it....

It should be delivered directly to your house by the US Postal Service just like any other normal mail/package.....it comes via airmail from there to here, and is usually pretty quick (in my experiences)....
Thanks so much. I'm in Virginia, by the way. Cheers!
Old 10-22-2009, 04:32 PM   #5
Power Member

May 2009
The Fissure of Woe

Quote:
Originally Posted by WMAangel View Post
Opps, forgot to mention that I'm in Canada.
There are stories of young men stopping to gaze longingly at statues of the beautiful goddesses, only to forget themselves and die of thirst while simply looking on.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:20 PM   #6
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2008
The Swan Station aDdIcTeD 2 LOST PSN:U5MC51473
Send a message via AIM to sfmarine Send a message via MSN to sfmarine Send a message via Skype™ to sfmarine

I'm thinking of importing the UK one as well. The disks are housed a lot better than the US version.
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!" -- President Merkin Muffley/Dr. Strangelove

55" VIZIO 3D Razor LED M3D550KD
Onkyo TX-NR616 7.2/ Pioneer Center SP-C21
Panasonic DMP-BDT210 3D Blu-ray ~ LG BD 370~ PS3 ~ FAT
DIRECTV HR34 Genie
Old 10-22-2009, 05:27 PM   #7

Apr 2009
Wisconsin

I do like the packaging of this edition much more than the US set. But I noticed in the item's description on Amazon UK that it's Region 2; has anyone confirmed that they're actually region-free?
Samsung LN40B530 (40" LCD 1080p LCD)
Sony PS3 (160GB slim; RIP my original 40GB)
ONKYO HT-S3400 5.1 Home Theater System
Tripp Lite Isobar HT810ISOCTR Power Center
Microsoft XBox 360 (250GB slim)
My collection
Old 10-22-2009, 05:31 PM   #8

Jun 2008

It is region free, there was another thread on the subject detailing this. Just search the forum and you should be able to find addtional info.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:31 PM   #9
Power Member

Jan 2008
Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by anet99999 View Post
I do like the packaging of this edition much more than the US set. But I noticed in the item's description on Amazon UK that it's Region 2; has anyone confirmed that they're actually region-free?
Definitely a Region-free release. I have confirmed from multiple sources.

Just purchased the UK version from Amazon for $168 shipped.

I am going to sell my previously purchased US version for more than that amount (and I only paid ~$150 from Deep Discount). Win win.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:36 PM   #10
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Montreal

If your order is over $100 cdn you may be charged an import fee but it's not very much

My last order from Amazon.uk came out to $150cdn for 8 movies and I was charged $15 import fee.
"I do want to thank you for offering me such a powerful piece of manpower as Virgil Tibbs"
(Chief Gillespie 'In The Heat Of The Night')
Old 10-22-2009, 06:51 PM   #11
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2008
Send a message via AIM to sfmarine Send a message via MSN to sfmarine Send a message via Skype™ to sfmarine

Quote:
Definitely a Region-free release. I have confirmed from multiple sources.

Just purchased the UK version from Amazon for $168 shipped.

I am going to sell my previously purchased US version for more than that amount (and I only paid ~$150 from Deep Discount). Win win.
Post up the pics when you get it!
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!" -- President Merkin Muffley/Dr. Strangelove

DIRECTV HR34 Genie
Old 10-22-2009, 07:30 PM   #12
Power Member

Jan 2008
Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfmarine View Post
Post up the pics when you get it!
Will do.

Status is currently "Dispatching soon" with an estimated arrival of Nov3 - Nov6.
Old 10-22-2009, 07:40 PM   #13
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2008

Excellent. Amazon.co.uk has some pics but they are hard to make out and I still can't tell if it is blu-ray size or not.

DIRECTV HR34 Genie
Old 10-22-2009, 08:02 PM   #14

Dec 2008
London, UK

Quote:

I have this box set in the UK and there is a real issue with the outer tin. It is very cheap metal and easily damaged in the post. There are some horrible examples of damged tins out there.

Mine came from Amazon in a stong cardboard box, so I assumed it would
be fine. However, there were a number of small dents in the front door. The plastic cases which hold the discs do not fit correctly and slide forward and backwards hitting and denting the door when the box set is moved. Given the rough handling the package is likely to get from the UK I would not expect it to arrive in pristine condition. Just spending a few pence on better quality/thicker metal case or putting something on the back of the door would have removed all of these issues.

Take a look at this thread for some photos of the damage:
http://www.avforums.com/forums/blu-r...l#post10410536

James
Old 10-22-2009, 09:02 PM   #15
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2008

Thanks for the post, James.

I know for a fact that that won't make it from the UK to my doorstep intact..Wow..that is terrible. I can't win with BSG...the US one is crap..the presentation is awesome but the sleeves that house the disks suck and now this tin is easy to dent...not sure what to do now. That guy had a lot of Huskies though lol. I wonder what he does with all the hair.

DIRECTV HR34 Genie
Old 10-23-2009, 11:50 AM   #16
Power Member

Jan 2008
Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesaevans View Post
I have this box set in the UK and there is a real issue with the outer tin. It is very cheap metal and easily damaged in the post. There are some horrible examples of damged tins out there.

Mine came from Amazon in a stong cardboard box, so I assumed it would
be fine. However, there were a number of small dents in the front door. The plastic cases which hold the discs do not fit correctly and slide forward and backwards hitting and denting the door when the box set is moved. Given the rough handling the package is likely to get from the UK I would not expect it to arrive in pristine condition. Just spending a few pence on better quality/thicker metal case or putting something on the back of the door would have removed all of these issues.

Take a look at this thread for some photos of the damage:
http://www.avforums.com/forums/blu-r...l#post10410536

James
Thanks for the warning.

To be truthful, I'm not buying the UK set as much for the outer casing as for the housing of the discs. Sure, the UK steel tin looks gorgeous but I don't think that the US box is that bad. The inner sleeves on the US version are unforgivable, though, in my opinion.

Fingers crossed that my UK set arrives intact.
Old 10-23-2009, 07:51 PM   #17
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2008

Quote:
Thanks for the warning.

To be truthful, I'm not buying the UK set as much for the outer casing as for the housing of the discs. Sure, the UK steel tin looks gorgeous but I don't think that the US box is that bad. The inner sleeves on the US version are unforgivable, though, in my opinion.

Fingers crossed that my UK set arrives intact.
I hear ya on that..i don't want the disks to get scratched with the US release but a dented case will really tick me off. Keep us posted

DIRECTV HR34 Genie
Old 10-23-2009, 08:11 PM   #18
Power Member

May 2009
The Fissure of Woe

Good luck on your purchase and keeps us posted with pics when it arrives.
Last one I bought was Batman Returns and it said estimated delivery date of October 27th. I actually have the movie as of last Firday so it only took 5 days to get to me.
Old 11-07-2009, 05:25 PM   #19

Oct 2009
Victoria BC, Canada

Bit the bullet and ordered it last week, shipping to Victoria BC. Should be here Monday or Tuesday, will let everyone know how it turns out if anyone's interested.
Old 11-07-2009, 05:58 PM   #20
Power Member

Jan 2008
Virginia

Pictures post 1.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1107091349.jpg (88.9 KB, 160 views)
File Type: jpg 1107091349a.jpg (93.7 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg 1107091349b.jpg (87.7 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg 1107091350.jpg (94.6 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg 1107091350a.jpg (91.4 KB, 110 views)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America