COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Doctor and the Devils (Blu-ray)
$8.99
Marilyn Monroe: Classic Nine-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Halloween: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$109.99
Snowpiercer (Blu-ray)
$14.96
Sleepy Hollow: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Jack Ryan Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.80
Arrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Green Planet (Blu-ray)
$80.99
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Nymphomaniac: Volume II (Blu-ray)
$13.92
Dumbo (Blu-ray)
$14.96
South Park: The Complete Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Justice League: War (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Dukas: Ariane et Barbe-Bleue | Liceu (Blu-ray)
$18.99
Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase One - Avengers Assembled (Blu-ray)
$119.99
Grimm: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Inside Job (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Jungle Book 2 (Blu-ray)
$19.96

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology

View Poll Results: Do you wanted see full screen option like dvd does?
Yes, It should offer full and widescreen option in seprate disk to main full quality 32 6.29%
Yes, but offer in the disk put all the extra junk to second disk 15 2.95%
No, keep the way it is, view as what director wanted us to view. 462 90.77%
Voters: 509. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-25-2009, 06:54 PM   #1
Special Member

Aug 2007
Post Why Blu-ray don't had the option of full or widescreen like DVD do?

DVD has choice of choose full screen and wide screen in certain movies, but why none of the blu-ray do this? Do You wanted to see blu-ray offer this option?
Samsung 50PNB650 50" 1080/24p/600hz Plasma
Sony Playstation 3 Slim 120GB
Pioneer Elite VSX21 7.1THX Plus AV Receiver
Brite-View BV-6000P 1080p HD Multimedia Player
DishNetwork with Turbo HD Cable Programming
BIC Acoustech Horn Speakers 7.1 set up (PL89, PL66, PL28, PL200)
Old 10-25-2009, 06:57 PM   #2
Blu-ray Duke

Sep 2008
Montreal
Send a message via Yahoo to P@t_Mtl

I personaly have no need with a full screen BD, I want to watch my movies in OAR and nothing else.

I suppose if they want to release a second version like they did with DVD with full screen I don't truly don't mind, I sure know I wont be buying any of them. But the chances of that are a bit slim I would think. Chaging aspect ratio of a movie to fill in the screen cost more to a studio then leaving it as is for the BD. I am sure many others will be expalin all the full details of this much better then I could ever do it.
---------------------------------------------------
My avatar will Wait Until Dark for a Roman Holiday since this world as War & Peace
and it would be fun to actually have Breakfast At Tiffany's with My Fair Lady

Last edited by P@t_Mtl; 10-25-2009 at 07:09 PM.
Old 10-25-2009, 07:04 PM   #3

Nov 2008
Waterloo, ON, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugupo View Post
DVD has choice of choose full screen and wide screen in certain movies, but why none of the blu-ray do this? Do You wanted to see blu-ray offer this option?
I think the main difference is that DVD had to entertain two markets; people who had widescreen sets, or who liked wider aspects, and everyone else, who had a 4:3 TV didn't care for a rectangle peg in a square whole, so to speak.

With blu-ray, if you have a blu-ray player, then it is about 95% guaranteed that your television is in 16:9 format (except for older CRT HD sets, and possibly those who just want a blu-ray player but not for HD quality). Thus, "full screen", which is 4:3 aspect, is absolutely useless.

Sure, they could re-screen movies to be 16:9, but because 2.85:1 is not as drastic a difference on a 16:9 screen as it was on a 4:3 screen, where nearly 45% of your viewing area was not used, I don't see any incentive for studios to do this.
Pioneer PDP-5020FD
Harman Kardon AVR-354
Panasonic DMP-BD55
Marantz CC-4001
Harmony 880 x2
Monster Power HTPS 7000 MKII
Old 10-25-2009, 07:08 PM   #4
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2008
'Western' N.Y. State (MEMBER OF THE "ECPP")™

In DVDs heyday, most people owned 4:3 televisions, and it was already common for movies to be "formatted to fit your screen" as the intro to most movies pointed out. This was done for broadcast standards as well as DVD. There was a lot less concern over OAR (original aspect ratio). Today's 16:9 TV screens bring us closer to cinematic standards, and so Blu-ray movies are kept at or near OAR.

Also, I'm not sure the format is ready to offer aspect choices for the same movie title. It may never be - or have to. It's actually easier to just keep it at OAR than to add extra production for 4:3 cropping and "pan & scan" formatting.
Old 10-25-2009, 07:34 PM   #5
Michael Bay's #1 Fan

Aug 2008
Wisconsin PSNetwork: Blu-Benny

pan & scan was so pointless in my opinion....i worked @ best buy as dvd was taking off and the most annoying thing to listen to all day long was "why do the movies now have those black bars???"

um....b/c that's the way the movie was filmed and intended to be seen!!!
Blu-Benny’s 7.2 HT @ a Glance:
Display: Panasonic TC-P50U2 • Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR818 • Blu-Ray Player: Panasonic DMP-BD65 • Gaming: PS3 Slim 160 gb • Center Channel: JBL LC2 • Fronts: JBL L890 • Mid’s & Rears: JBL L810 • Subs: SVS SB-2000

"Losers always whine about their best......winners go home and f**k the prom queen!!"
Old 10-25-2009, 08:19 PM   #6

Feb 2008
Southern Utah

Because pan&scan is stupid. If you buy a film, you should watch it in only one ratio, and that is how it was shot and composed. End of story.
Panasonic Viera TH-50PZ80U
Sony BDP-S360
Onkyo 605
Polk Audio CS1(Center)
Polk Audio Monitor 60(Fronts)
Polk Audio Monitor 30(Surrounds)
SVS PB2000 (Subwoofer)
Panasonic PT-AR100U (Projector)
Old 10-25-2009, 08:55 PM   #7
Expert Member

Sep 2007
Southern NM

One of the big things I celebrated about the advent of HDTV was the beginning of the end of P&S. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to take a step backwards when HDTVs are becoming the norm. I don't know how many times I ended up in exchange lines after Christmas and my birthday because somebody bought me a movie not knowing that there was both a P&S version and a widescreen version and grabbed the wrong one. Pan and Sccan was a salve to the masses that couldn't get past the fact that the original aspect ratios of films didn't use all of their screen real estate and couldn't figure out that a signifigant portion of the image had to be removed to fill up their screens. Movies should be released in their OAR or as close to it as possible and if people don't like black bars on their 2.35:1 and 1.33:1 OAR movies, most players or displays come with a zoom function and they can mangle the image to their hearts' content without needing to ruin the experience for the rest of us and without taking up disc space and bandwidth pointlessly with an alternate version that is not needed or wanted by most.

Chris
"Game over, Moonpie."
Old 10-25-2009, 09:16 PM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2008
Deatsville, Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindcat87 View Post
One of the big things I celebrated about the advent of HDTV was the beginning of the end of P&S. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to take a step backwards when HDTVs are becoming the norm. I don't know how many times I ended up in exchange lines after Christmas and my birthday because somebody bought me a movie not knowing that there was both a P&S version and a widescreen version and grabbed the wrong one. Pan and Sccan was a salve to the masses that couldn't get past the fact that the original aspect ratios of films didn't use all of their screen real estate and couldn't figure out that a signifigant portion of the image had to be removed to fill up their screens. Movies should be released in their OAR or as close to it as possible and if people don't like black bars on their 2.35:1 and 1.33:1 OAR movies, most players or displays come with a zoom function and they can mangle the image to their hearts' content without needing to ruin the experience for the rest of us and without taking up disc space and bandwidth pointlessly with an alternate version that is not needed or wanted by most.

Chris
I couldn't have said it better. I would actually show friends the difference between widescreen and P & S on DVD's that had both so they could see how much of the picture was missing with P & S. Way back when, when I worked at Movie Gallery I kept printed screen shots from the digital bits to show customers the difference. I converted many people that way. I would also tell people"hey you're paying for the whole movie, but you're not getting the whole movie". Once they were shown how much they were missing they were OAR all the way. The majority of us on here know about it because we are moviephiles, the average consumer doesn't know. We just have to keep teaching people the difference.
Home Theater...
Mits WD-65638 65" 1080p DLP 3D HDTV w/3D Starter Kit, DirectTV HD 5 tuner DVR w/ 1TB HD, Onkyo TX-SR508 7.1 3D Rcvr, Sony BDP-S470 3D BR player, PS3 slim 160g, Xbox360 Elite w/Kinect, Wii, Surround: Polk Mon 50's, 30's, Center & Sub, Harmony One, Apple MacMini HTPC,
My Star Wars Room"The Outer Rim" http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gal...&folderid=2438
Old 10-25-2009, 09:51 PM   #9

Nov 2008
North Las Vegas

Quote:
No, because Full Screen cuts off a good 30%-40% of the image if I'm not mistaken. The version you see on Blu-Ray is the ratio they originally shot the film with. If Blu-Ray offered Full Screen it would be a step backwards. Full Screen cuts some of the image off to make it fit your screen. Wide Screen is the way you see it in the theater if that makes sense. Why would you want Full Screen, when Wide Screen maintains picture quality and is the original aspect ratio of the film?
The Only Sensible Way To Live In This World Is Without Rules.
Old 10-25-2009, 09:52 PM   #10
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
the guy on the couch

I doubt many people are buying blu-ray for their 4:3 tv's, and if you are referring to filling up your screen on your 16:9 tv with 2.35 content, well i would not advise it imo, but you got a couple options on your tv to do just that. I for one would rather have them pay more attention to the transfer then wasting time cropping for a niche group of a niche market that wouldn't recognize a difference between professionally cropped and the zoom function on their set anyways.
Aggressive MiniHorse

Xbox Tag: KrazeyEyez
Old 10-25-2009, 10:06 PM   #11

Jun 2007
Calgary, Alberta

DVD gave you the option of fullscreen or widescreen: fullscreen for people who wanted to fill their standard 4:3 screen, and widescreen for people who wanted to see all the film.

Blu-rau does not give you that option because, afaik, there is no such thing as a 4:3 HDTV.

anyone who wants 4:3 most cerainly has a SDTV, a 4:3 blu-ray caters to virtually nobody.

Last edited by Branden; 10-25-2009 at 10:19 PM.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:03 AM   #12
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2007

When I lived in the States I couldn't believe how many 4:3 TV's were still for sale. Back in the UK, it would be rather difficult to find a 4:3 display of any kind. You can't even buy CRT's anymore in the UK, people are throwing perfectly good working CRT's into the landfill.

I don't understand why people want to get rid of the black bars. They serve a purpose of getting the full picture into the screen.

If you have a 4:3 monitor zoom this picture until the black bars are gone.

See how much your missing -

Right click, SAVEA$, DESKTOP.. Then use any app you have on your PC to zoom it in. When your realize how much of the sides went missing, you'll realize how much of the movie your missing.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:07 AM   #13
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2007
Victoria, BC

The only reason I own 4:3 DVD's is if there arn't 16:9 out there like Grumpy Old Men.
Home Theater Geeks Overcome Bond quotes USA the Greatest country in the world? Immigrant Song Hall of the Mountain King Spring Breakers Mulholland Drive
"Your intellect may be confused," he once wrote, "but your emotions will never lie to you." Roger Ebert Physical media forever!
Front Speakers B&W 683 Center B&W HTM61 surrounds B&W 685
Old 10-26-2009, 02:27 AM   #14
Special Member

Oct 2008
Tampa- FL

Quote:
If you really want a "full-screen" movie - we assume you mean 4:3 aspect ratio on blu-ray - YOU CAN!!!

Wizard of Oz
pinocchio
Snow White
Cassablanca (I think)

actually most people complain about it - see all the responses like... "Wizard of Oz has these black bars on the side that won't go away!! Why?"

I echo everyone else's response so far - blu-ray is for HD-TVs - they dont sell HD-TVs with 4:3 aspect ratio -that would be counter productive- only when orginal aspect ratio is 4:3 is there a need to display this image.
BenQ W1070 3D (*NEW* Theater room)
Elite 120" CineGrey 5D fixed framed screen
Sony BDP-S790 3D
Panasonic PDP TC-P60ST60 3D (living room)
Sony BDP-S590 3D
Panasonic Plasma TH-42PX60U (bedroom)
Sony BDP-S2100
Samsung T260HD 26" (den)/Magnavox NB500MG1F
Old 10-26-2009, 07:51 AM   #15
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2008
-
Send a message via AIM to Afrobean

The zoom button on HDTVs make pan and scan obsolete.

I wouldn't mind them adding something to the BD spec to simulate pan-and-scan to limit loss for people who would zoom (that is, an intelligent zoom function), but it's not necessary. And it's especially not necessary to offer two different versions of the same film. Most people who would be willing to use the zoom button probably wouldn't even notice when things are framed very badly.

One thing I think "black bar haters" would like though, is movies shown in open matte to 16:9. I honestly say that all the data on disc should be open matte when possible, and any mattes should be applied by the player. I'd even go as far as saying that players should come with built in options for matting pictures to any aspect ratio the viewer wants, so that in cases of things like The Dark Knight, the aspect ratio could be fixed to the 2.4:1 ratio that it appeared at in traditional theaters.
I need to stop buying so many movies and not getting around to watching them.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:35 AM   #16
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2009

Heh. Good one.
For sale:

Star Trek Into Darkness UV Full Code (From Compendium Set) - $3
Old 10-26-2009, 11:18 AM   #17
Power Member

Sep 2007

With bigger screens in a 16x9 format, any letterbox bars are less of an irritation than it was with a smaller 4x3 display. It was a good call as there has been no mass of consumer complaints on the current practice.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:18 PM   #18

Oct 2009
West Bend, Wi

I came across a Blu-Ray (horror film I believe) that was listed on the back of the packaging as "16:9 FULL FRAME". That struck me as odd, and I'm assuming this would not have been the OAR. I will try to find it again (don't remember which one it was).
...There is no try.
Xbox Live: Reboscale
Old 10-27-2009, 09:26 PM   #19

Aug 2009

cuz blu-ray aint soft like dvd
154 blu-ray's owned & counting..
Old 10-27-2009, 11:07 PM   #20
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2008
The Grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD2Blu View Post
If you really want a "full-screen" movie - we assume you mean 4:3 aspect ratio on blu-ray - YOU CAN!!!

Wizard of Oz
pinocchio
Snow White
Cassablanca (I think)
Those titles are 1.37:1 not 4:3 (or 1.33:1). Sorry, there close, but not quite the same, as black bars would still be present on a 4:3 tv if displayed in there OAR,
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology