Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Willow (Blu-ray)
$9.96
James Cameron's Deepsea Challenge 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.89
28 Days Later / 28 Weeks Later (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Star Trek: The Compendium (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Planet of the Vampires (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Psycho (Blu-ray)
$10.98
Minority Report (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Hentai Prince & the Stony Cat: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$32.99
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.76
The Sopranos: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$199.99
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.99
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$15.92
Warrior (Blu-ray)
$5.00
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 08-02-2010, 09:09 PM   #21

Aug 2010

I've started experiencing the exact same problem about not being able to play *any* blu-ray discs. Regular DVDs are playing fine. Timeline of events:
1. Few months back: everything is fine, I can play Blu-ray and regular DVDs
2. I then made a firmware upgrade
3. After that, I can no longer play *any* Blu-ray discs. I can play regular DVDs.

I contacted support and they want me to pay $112 as well for a replacement. At this rate I'm just thinking about buying a new one.
Old 08-16-2010, 02:40 AM   #22

Sep 2008
USA sony bdp-s350 unknown disc problems

I experienced the same issues after the upgrade. I rented The Forgotten Kingdom from netflix and it displayed the unknown disc error. The disc played fine on my PS3. I upgraded the firmware and then it would not play any Blu-Ray discs. DVD's were fine. I took the drive apart and cleaned both lenses with some ordinary eyeglass cleaner and a Q-tip. and the problem cleared. I was an electronics technician for years and was comfortable with taking the unit apart. However, I would recommend that you purchase a Blu-Ray disc cleaner to take care of the issue. The disc has several small brushes that will clean any dust off of the lens itself. Make sure when you purchase the disc that it works for Blu-Ray. The units have separate lenses for DVD and Blu-ray.
Good Luck!
Old 08-17-2010, 03:21 AM   #23

Dec 2008
ATL, GA

Well add me to the list.

This is the first time I have EVER gotten the "cannot play disc" and "Unknown Disc" Error messages out of my BDP-S350.

The culprit BD for me is "Brooklyn's Finest" which was a netflix rental. When it happened the first time I reported the disc to netflix and today I got the replacement. Same thing. BOTH discs will not play in the S350. Yet BOTH play fine in my BD-RE & BDRom drives on my Desktop PC.

I hadn't attempted to call Sony since I know I have had the Player more than a year. I also have not tried the open tray/close tray repeatedly trick either.
Guess I'll try that having just read it in this thread, although I'm NOT optimistic lol.

Ya know, One BD that wont play in the almost 18 months I have had the s350 is something I can handle. What I wonder tho is can I expect this behavior now more often and in the future? And is the latest FW to blame?
C'mon Son.. or should I say C'Mon Sony
Jay a.k.a. X the "BluRay Rental Junkie!"
Samsung 67A750 LED DLP 1080P
Denon AVR2809ci & Onkyo TX-SR705
DefTech ProCinema Series PM1000/PC2000/PM800
Klipsch Sub12
PS3(250GB) & Sony BDP-S350
DirecTV HR21
Xbox 360
Old 08-20-2010, 05:17 AM   #24

Dec 2008
ATL, GA

UPDATE:

in a fit of frustration I decided to take my BDP-S350 apart since its not under warranty anymore anyway, and since I have experience doing that kinda thing.

SO I disassembled the player, removed the BD Drive. Cleaned both lasers with rubbing alcohol and a q-tip, and re-assembled the player.

Popped Brooklyn's Finest in, and VOILA!!!! it plays now.. instantly.

The odd thing is that ALL my other BD discs I tried ALL played. For whatever reason Brooklyn's finest wouldn't until the laser was cleaned.

But none the less.. if any of you guys are having issues with discs that wont read and getting that "Cannot operate disc" msg. Try cleaning the laser.

enjoy
Jay a.k.a. X the "BluRay Rental Junkie!"
Samsung 67A750 LED DLP 1080P
Denon AVR2809ci & Onkyo TX-SR705
DefTech ProCinema Series PM1000/PC2000/PM800
Klipsch Sub12
PS3(250GB) & Sony BDP-S350
DirecTV HR21
Xbox 360
Old 08-20-2010, 07:39 PM   #25

Feb 2010
Nashville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactica800 View Post
I contacted support and they want me to pay $112 as well for a replacement. At this rate I'm just thinking about buying a new one.
While none of us are made of money, that's exactly what I did.

Kick-Ass (and a few others) simply would not load in my Sony 300. I figured it was time for a new one. Got the the Sony 570 for a $210 and I am so glad! Affordable and lightning fast!!! I mean FAST! Plus it streams. Sometimes its just better to move on and get a new one.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:03 PM   #26

Jun 2010

I'm no longer a sucker for punishment!

I bought my last Sony product in 1998, and have been happy ever since!

What I find that's amazing is that some here have had a major melt down of a Sony BD, and go right out and buy another!
Old 09-17-2010, 03:44 AM   #27

Sep 2010
Default I had the unknown disc message as well.

I tried everything to fix this and then I decided that maybe I should unplug the Blue-Ray player and let it sit for a few minutes. Doing this reset something and now the Blu-Ray that wasn't playing works on the first try. I recommend trying this before seeking repair service! Good Luck!
Old 09-19-2010, 04:35 AM   #28
Banned

Jul 2010
Hudson Valley, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRC View Post
Sony bluray players are known to malfunction quite often. I played hell with my S300(repaired 4 times) and now my S360 is starting to do the same thing. It won't play discs or it won't play discs that it had previously play. This is a hardware malfunction and will need to be repaired... assuming your firmware is current. It usually will start malfunctioning again later on after you fix it. Sony bluray players suck!!!!! They are good when they work but they don't always work!
To be honest, this has been the case with every Sony product I've ever owned (with two exceptions) that utilizes a disc drive of any type. I've had disc read issues of one sort or another with 4 PSones, a CD Player, 2 DVD Players (including one very expensive ES model), a PS2 and a Walkman. The only two products that haven't failed me (yet) are my BD player & my PS3. The only reason I even own a Sony BD player is because I got it as part of a deal with my Bravia. Otherwise I would probably own a Harman Kardon, Denon, Marantz or Oppo model. A have a PS3 only because I regularly own all consoles. Neither have seen what I would call much use. I fully expect to have problems with both at some (premature) point.
Old 10-22-2010, 11:01 PM   #29

Dec 2008
Monterrey, Mexico

My cousing had the same problem with his BDP-S350. He came to my house worried with the fact that his player was no longer under warranty. Hopefully we found this post and thanks to the references from Ramaniac and Triple-X we decided to also take apart my cousing's player in order to clean the lenses and it came back to life again!

Thank you very much guys! Happiness came back to my cousing's face...

Last edited by varikelo; 10-22-2010 at 11:10 PM.
Old 10-23-2010, 01:09 AM   #30

Apr 2010
New York City

NO issues at all for me (had mine since August 08), it still works perfectly well. P.S Mine is not connected to the internet...maybe thats it, but it is updated with the latest 021 update (did it via CD).
Strike down the visitors from heaven!
Old 10-23-2010, 03:09 AM   #31

Apr 2009
SF Bay Area, USA

Everyone has their own biases here based upon their personal experience.
I would buy a Sony optical media player every time, due to my excellent experience with them (CD, DVD and BD).
You will never find a Samsung optical media player of any type in my home theater setup unless I got it for free.
Old 10-23-2010, 04:37 AM   #32
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2008
'Western' N.Y. State (MEMBER OF THE "ECPP")

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webmaster1990 View Post
NO issues at all for me (had mine since August 08), it still works perfectly well. P.S Mine is not connected to the internet...maybe thats it, but it is updated with the latest 021 update (did it via CD).
I feel bad for those who have had problems with their Sony S350 players. I have had mine since November of '08 and remember when it was the pride and joy of my home theater. Now, it's the pride and joy of my pride and joy (my son, in his bedroom) and still works perfectly. It used to be connected to the internet when it was my main BD player, but not anymore. I also updated it to the recent firmware release version .021 via the old CD way.

I also own a Sony S570 and it's a great player - well, save for the recent firmware-based PIP problem, which I am confident that Sony will address.

My main home theater player is a Panasonic DMP-BDT300 now, and I'm quite pleased with it, especially since a recent firmware update fixed some audio and loading issues. Thoough more expensive than the Sony S570 (both are 3D-ready players), the Sony S570 loads discs faster and has better operational features. The panny does have better video processing both on BDs and for upscaling DVDs, so it stays on my main theater.
Old 10-25-2010, 02:36 PM   #33

Mar 2010
Rep of Ireland

Love my S350 and never had a problem until last night. I popped Iron Man 1 into it and it would not work but the bonus disc would. I have watched Iron Man 1 a couple of times on this blu ray player with no problems so i can't understand what is wrong with it.

Jack Burton
: When some wild-eyed, eight-foot-tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head up against the barroom wall, and he looks you crooked in the eye and he asks you if ya paid your dues, you just stare that big sucker right back in the eye, and you remember what ol' Jack Burton always says at a time like that: "Have ya paid your dues, Jack?" "Yessir, the check is in the mail."
Old 10-25-2010, 02:47 PM   #34
Expert Member

Dec 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpheus View Post
Love my S350 and never had a problem until last night. I popped Iron Man 1 into it and it would not work but the bonus disc would. I have watched Iron Man 1 a couple of times on this blu ray player with no problems so i can't understand what is wrong with it.
I've experienced issues with the first Iron Man on my S350 2 years ago. Make sure that the firmware for the player is up to date. If your player has internet access and you have a USB drive installed, first disconnect it from the net and remove the stick, then see if the movie would play.

I would also suggest reformatting the USB drive you use for this player.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:10 PM   #35

Mar 2010
Rep of Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove93 View Post
I've experienced issues with the first Iron Man on my S350 2 years ago. Make sure that the firmware for the player is up to date. If your player has internet access and you have a USB drive installed, first disconnect it from the net and remove the stick, then see if the movie would play.

I would also suggest reformatting the USB drive you use for this player.
Firmware is up to date and i don't use USB stuff.

Jack Burton
: When some wild-eyed, eight-foot-tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head up against the barroom wall, and he looks you crooked in the eye and he asks you if ya paid your dues, you just stare that big sucker right back in the eye, and you remember what ol' Jack Burton always says at a time like that: "Have ya paid your dues, Jack?" "Yessir, the check is in the mail."
Old 11-01-2010, 08:50 PM   #36

Nov 2010
Default S350

Have had this unit for almost 2 yrs now. Had the same problems everyone is talking about with the "Unknown Disk" for lots of newer BR disks. I have updated this player 2 times now, and it never fixes the problem. I was at the point were I was going to buy a new player since sonystyle now sells them as refubs for $59 on their weekly specials. Since I figured I had nothing to lose I took apart my unit and was able to clean both lasers and now all the movies work on this player. It was MUCH more work to take it apart than I had imagined, you have to first remove the drive from the unit taking about 20 screws out then take the drive apart from the bottom. However it worked! However I now have a working BR player so I am pleased.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:25 PM   #37
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2008
'Western' N.Y. State (MEMBER OF THE "ECPP")

It might be good to bring to light the age of most of the Sony S350 players out there. Most are approaching two years old, and some even older. There have been a few enterprising people who have reported success in restoring player performance by cleaning the player's laser lens, which, by now, will likely have accumulated at least some contamination on its surface.

Make sure your disc playback surface is clean as well.

Contamination on the laser lens and disc reduces the reliablilty of the laser to read the ultrafine 0.32 micron track pitch of BDs (compare to about 0.74 micron on DVD, and 1.6 micron on CD). There are very tight tolerances involved with BD storage and playback, and it's amazing that it works as reliably as it does.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:22 AM   #38

Nov 2010
Default firmware 21

First firmware upgrade v21 via ethernet seemed ok, but then wouldnt play blu-ray discs. Regular discs were fine, but all blu-ray discs showed "unknown".
Unplugged all cables for 5 minutes and then reconnected the power etc and it worked... Hope this doesnt turn into a weekly reboot procedure.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:42 PM   #39
Expert Member

Dec 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob J in WNY View Post
It might be good to bring to light the age of most of the Sony S350 players out there. Most are approaching two years old, and some even older. There have been a few enterprising people who have reported success in restoring player performance by cleaning the player's laser lens, which, by now, will likely have accumulated at least some contamination on its surface.

Make sure your disc playback surface is clean as well.

Contamination on the laser lens and disc reduces the reliablilty of the laser to read the ultrafine 0.32 micron track pitch of BDs (compare to about 0.74 micron on DVD, and 1.6 micron on CD). There are very tight tolerances involved with BD storage and playback, and it's amazing that it works as reliably as it does.

Are there any trustworthy Cleaners for Blu Ray Players? I know my player has been rather sensitive towards Netflix rentals as of late. Cleaning off the disc and removing any fingerprints seems to do the trick.

This past weekend my son and I were getting ready to watch Night at the Museum 2 and it took forever to load. I ejected the disc, cleaned it for a second time, and it loaded normal, but a few minutes into the movie, it locked up again.

I played all six discs from the Alien Anthology Boxset this weekend without any problems, so I guess NATM was just a bad disc.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:13 PM   #40

Mar 2011
Default Cleaning works

I also had this problem: device would not play Blu-rays but would play DVDs. The problem materialized over time: at first some blu-rays would not play but others would. Eventually, all blu-rays were unplayable.

After reading comments here, I dismantled the device (not easy), cleaned the lenses with a Qtip and isopropyl alcohol, and now everything is fine.

Good job, those who discovered this! Thanks!
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders