Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Attack on Titan Part 2 Limited Edition (Blu-ray)
$51.79
Wrong Turn Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.97
Star Trek: The Compendium (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Willow (Blu-ray)
$12.36
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.99
Sons of Anarchy: Seasons 1-6 (Blu-ray)
$172.59
Minority Report (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Friday the 13th: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$75.49
Star Wars: The Clone Wars: The Lost Missions (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Woodstock: 3 Days of Peace & Music (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Nekromantik (Blu-ray)
$20.19
The Simpsons: The Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.96
Creepshow (Blu-ray)
$5.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater General Discussion

Old 10-28-2009, 08:03 AM   #1
Banned

Jun 2009
San Antonio/ Duluth Mn
Default how do i hook up my computer(hdmi) to my Stereo receiver, when im out of hdmi inputs?

wanna hook up my computer to my tv/stereo receiver ( pioneer vsx 819 ) But i have all 3 inputs on the back of my receiver full

-ps3
-directv hd dvr

and one out going to the tv

If i hook up the hdmi straight to the tv on one of the other inputs ie HDMI2 ( since hdmi 1 is connected to the receiver ) I have to switch the tv to hdmi 2 which alows me to see video, but i get no audio.. Any suggestions?

my tv is a samsung ln52a750
Old 10-28-2009, 08:09 AM   #2
Blu-ray Archduke

Mar 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj79 View Post
wanna hook up my computer to my tv/stereo receiver ( pioneer vsx 819 ) But i have all 3 inputs on the back of my receiver full

-ps3
-directv hd dvr

and one out going to the tv

If i hook up the hdmi straight to the tv on one of the other inputs ie HDMI2 ( since hdmi 1 is connected to the receiver ) I have to switch the tv to hdmi 2 which alows me to see video, but i get no audio.. Any suggestions?

my tv is a samsung ln52a750

Hey bro heres the back of your tv unless this sites picture is wrong see where it says Dvi in with the red and white cable, it also says HDMI2 which is where the sound would be provided so where your sound card is should have those two connections (red and white) just run a basic audio cable to the back of that bad boy and you should be good 2 go.

Last edited by supersix4; 10-28-2009 at 08:11 AM.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:18 AM   #3
Banned

Jun 2009
San Antonio/ Duluth Mn

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersix4 View Post
Hey bro heres the back of your tv unless this sites picture is wrong see where it says Dvi in with the red and white cable, it also says HDMI2 which is where the sound would be provided so where your sound card is should have those two connections (red and white) just run a basic audio cable to the back of that bad boy and you should be good 2 go.
thanks man, yep, thats the back of mine... I thought of doing the rca thing , but i dont know if that would just run it through the tv speakers or it would actually go through the receiver

also right above that is a pc ( dvi i believe ) with audio input, which would be the same thing i think.. But then theres the optical out on the top left which would give me 5.1 audio...

but if thats the case i might just check my receiver to see if it has an optical out with a dvi.. i just wanted everything to be hooked up hdmi
Old 10-28-2009, 12:17 PM   #4
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2009
Winnipeg, MB

They do make hdmi switches.

This is like a 30 dollar fix if you're ok with spending a few bucks.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
Sony KDL52W4100
80gb PS3
Some Yamaha Receiver
Some Polk Audio Speakers and an Infninity Sub
There's also a Wii kickin around the mix!

THERE'S SOMETHING MOVIN AND IT AIN'T US!
Old 10-28-2009, 12:55 PM   #5
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2009
South Florida PSN:DonVCorleone Nintendo:DonRSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpz View Post

EH....you beat me to the monoprice link
Xbox Live: D0N V C0RLE0NE
Nintendo Network ID: DonRSD
3DS Friend Code: 0018-0138-6226

The U - NY Mets - NY Giants - Miami Heat
Old 10-28-2009, 01:34 PM   #6
Expert Member

Jan 2008
Cincinnati Ohio

Quote:
thanks man, yep, thats the back of mine... I thought of doing the rca thing , but i dont know if that would just run it through the tv speakers or it would actually go through the receiver

also right above that is a pc ( dvi i believe ) with audio input, which would be the same thing i think.. But then theres the optical out on the top left which would give me 5.1 audio...

but if thats the case i might just check my receiver to see if it has an optical out with a dvi.. i just wanted everything to be hooked up hdmi
If I were you I would just run and optical cable from the back of the computer (assuming that your computer has a optical out) to the back of your pioneer. Because if you use just the red and white inputs your only getting stereo sound not 5.1. This is how I had my HTPC ran when i had it hooked up to my 46" samsung.

Living Room
Samsung PN60E7000 Plasma, Panasonic BDT310, Slim PS3 with 250GB HD, Patriot Box Office w/ 1TBHD, APC H10
Pioneer VSX 21TXH w/ Polk CS2, Polk Monitor 60's, Polk FXI3's, PA-120 Sub & Acoustic Audio 12" HD SUB, Harmony One, Cyron LED lights

Bedroom
Samsung LN46B750 LCD, Vizio VSB200-HD Soundbar, Sony BDP-S360, Nintendo Wii, WDTV, Harmony One

PSN: jruc03
Old 10-28-2009, 01:40 PM   #7

Jun 2009

Quote:
i just wanted everything to be hooked up hdmi
why have your computer connected hdmi just to connect it hdmi? your not gonna get sound of the hdmi from the computer so will still need to use another cable for sound.

I know my tv the optical out only gives 5.1 for cable sources. What I did (because I was also out of hdmi ports on my receiver) is connect my dvi out on my computer to the hdmi on my tv using an dvi to hdmi cable (the pc connection you are seeing is VGA). If you do that and run the computer into hdmi 2 then you can connect the rci audio to the input labeled "dvi in (hdmi 2)" The sound will come out of your tv unless you then run the optical out to the receiver. For my audio I just ran an optical cable from my computer to the CD in on my receiver since I don't use a cd player and then just switch the tv to hdmi 2 and the receiver to cd when I watch something from my computer (which i don't do too often anyway). also allows me to run just sound from my computer through my receiver. It's a bit of a pain because I have to switch the tv inputs in addition to the receiver inputs but once I get a harmony that will change

-Agrare
Old 10-28-2009, 02:00 PM   #8

May 2009
teXASS..

Just connect the hdmi to your hdmi 2 on your tv, then a optical cable to your receiver and you have digital sound. go into the pioneer menu and make sure everything is set correctly and you shouldnt have an issue...
Old 10-28-2009, 03:03 PM   #9
Blu-ray Archduke

Mar 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350gt View Post
Just connect the hdmi to your hdmi 2 on your tv, then a optical cable to your receiver and you have digital sound. go into the pioneer menu and make sure everything is set correctly and you shouldnt have an issue...
thats true to if you just match the optical cable up with that input in the menus of your receiver it should work aswell.
Old 10-28-2009, 03:22 PM   #10

Jan 2009
Positioning myself in front of the crease, getting slashed behind the knees by Billy Smith! :(

Quote:

+1...I use an HDMI splitter to add an add'l HDMI output and it also has a repeater in it to carry the signal over long lengths and they work great. I got mine from Monoprice and they are worth the money. The link Grumpz provided should work well when you need add'l HDMI inputs.
VIDEO
Projector:Sanyo PLV-Z60
Screen:Elite 92" Manual
TV:Samsung 46A650
Blu-Ray Player:Oppo BDP-83
DVR:DirecTv HR34-700
AUDIO(6.2)
AVR:Pioneer Elite SC-05
Amps:3 Emotiva UPA-1's
Front Speakers:AV123 RSC-200 "Bigfoot" Center & Rocket Signature 850 Fronts
Surround Speakers:2 X Paradigm Titan v.2 Sides & 1 X Atom v.2 Back
Subs:2- SVS PC12-NSD's
OTHER
Remote:Harmony One
Transducer:
Buttkicker
Protection:Belkin PF-60
Old 10-28-2009, 03:24 PM   #11
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2009
Winnipeg, MB

One thing to consider...

If you've got an optical cable sitting around the house, than the fix won't cost you anyting to do it that way.

If you don't, you're forced to spend money anyways, you might want to get the switch as it will free up HDMI inputs.
Sony KDL52W4100
80gb PS3
Some Yamaha Receiver

Old 10-28-2009, 03:26 PM   #12
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2009
Winnipeg, MB

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsberg21 View Post
+1...I use an HDMI splitter to add an add'l HDMI output and it also has a repeater in it to carry the signal over long lengths and they work great. I got mine from Monoprice and they are worth the money. The link Grumpz provided should work well when you need add'l HDMI inputs.
For the record, that's the first "+1" I've received in this forum and I've been coming here for like 6 months!
Sony KDL52W4100
80gb PS3
Some Yamaha Receiver

Old 10-28-2009, 03:58 PM   #13

Jan 2009
Positioning myself in front of the crease, getting slashed behind the knees by Billy Smith! :(

Quote:
For the record, that's the first "+1" I've received in this forum and I've been coming here for like 6 months!
Dang brother......doesn't seem like your getting much love around here....
VIDEO
Projector:Sanyo PLV-Z60
Screen:Elite 92" Manual
TV:Samsung 46A650
Blu-Ray Player:Oppo BDP-83
DVR:DirecTv HR34-700
AUDIO(6.2)
AVR:Pioneer Elite SC-05
Amps:3 Emotiva UPA-1's
Front Speakers:AV123 RSC-200 "Bigfoot" Center & Rocket Signature 850 Fronts
Surround Speakers:2 X Paradigm Titan v.2 Sides & 1 X Atom v.2 Back
Subs:2- SVS PC12-NSD's
OTHER
Remote:Harmony One
Transducer:
Buttkicker
Protection:Belkin PF-60
Old 10-28-2009, 04:20 PM   #14
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2009
Winnipeg, MB

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsberg21 View Post
Dang brother......doesn't seem like your getting much love around here....
Thanks for the Avatar!
Sony KDL52W4100
80gb PS3
Some Yamaha Receiver

Old 10-31-2009, 09:44 PM   #15
blurayal

Default You have 2 choices

Either get the hdmi switch or get a long optical cord and connect it from the optical output on the t.v. to an input on you A/V receiver.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater General Discussion