Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Liar Liar (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Robots / Horton Hears a Who / Rio (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Far and Away (Blu-ray)
$10.49
The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Beginning / The Little Mermaid II: Return to the Sea (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
High School of the Dead OVA: Drifters of the Dead (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Intolerable Cruelty (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Blu-ray)
$5.99
History of the World: Part I (Blu-ray)
$6.16
High Plains Drifter (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Olympus Has Fallen (Blu-ray)
$12.70
Reality Bites (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Gambit (Blu-ray)
$21.98
Weird Science (Blu-ray)
$6.96

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray PCs, Laptops, Drives, Media and Software

Old 10-30-2009, 08:59 PM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2007
Default Cyberlink PowerDVD 9 works with Windows 7 but ArSoft TotalMedia Theater does not

Cyberlink PowerDVD 9 works with Windows 7 but ArSoft TotalMedia Theater does not

Cyberlink PowerDVD 9 is working fine with BLU-RAY discs after upgrading a persons computer from Vista Ultimate 64 bit Edition to Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit Edition. After I upgraded this persons computer to Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit Edition ArSoft TotalMedia Theater would not work at all so I uninstalled it. I even tried running Total Media Theater in compatibility mode that simulates a Vista opertaing system with service pack 2 and it still would not run. I did not try re-installing the Total Media Theater software after the uninstall. The Arcsoft website does not mention the product working with Windows 7 64 bit.

The upgrade performed on the computer was a computer using the EVGA X58 SLI Classified motherboard with 12GB of DDR3 memory. More info on the computer can be found at the following thread
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=72239

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit version is similar to Vista but with more advanced features. There are several professional reviews on Windows 7 one can read about online. Just like Vista demanded a lot of PC ram and processing power, Windows 7 Ultimtate 64 bit Edition uses a little more processing power and memory compared to Vista Ultimate 64 bit Edition.

The new TotalMedia Theater 3 Platinum version is compatible with Windows 7 . I might sometime in the future upgrade to the latest version.
http://www.arcsoft.com/estore/software_title.asp?ProductCode=TMT3P

Last edited by HDTV1080P; 10-30-2009 at 10:39 PM.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:37 PM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2007

The new TotalMedia Theater 3 Platinum version is compatible with Windows 7 . I might sometime in the future upgrade to the latest version.
http://www.arcsoft.com/estore/software_title.asp?ProductCode=TMT3P

Last edited by HDTV1080P; 10-30-2009 at 10:39 PM.
Old 10-31-2009, 09:51 AM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2007

No more 64 bit Windows support from Arcsoft on latest TotalMedia Theater?

Arcsoft Total Media Theater definitely does not work at all with Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit Edition. I just tried installing a copy from the original CD-ROM and Windows 7 notified me that there is a known compatibility problem using the program and that there is no solution. I think even using the TotalMedia Theater 3 Platinum might not even work with 64 bit Windows 7. According to Wikipedia Arcsoft no longer supports 64 bit operating systems with the latest versions of TotalMedia Theater.

"Only older version of the software carry x64 Windows support."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TotalMedia_Theatre

This is very disappointing. So to use Windows 7 with Total Media Theater it sounds like one needs to downgrade to a 32 bit operating system. Total Media Theater worked perfectly fine with Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit Edition. Future PC's I build and install Windows 7 64 bit for friends and relatives will now be using Cyberlink PowerDVD 9 instead of Total Media Theater. Hopefully Total Media Theater will start supporting 64 bit operating systems again.

Last edited by HDTV1080P; 10-31-2009 at 10:03 AM.
Old 10-31-2009, 07:47 PM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2007

Arcsoft TotalMedia Theater version 2 confirmed not to work with Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit Edition

When I try to install TotalMedia Theater version 2 from the original CD-ROM, after installation Windows 7 informs me that the program has a known compatibility issue with this version of Windows and that there is no solution yet. I do not remember the exact words but Microsoft is telling me that the program does not work with Windows 7 64 bit every time I try and install it.

Member Rdodolak made a good detail post regarding this 64 bit issue at the following post link

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=2486469&postcount=95

It is possible that Total Media Theater 3 might support Windows 7 64 bit operating systems if Arcsoft still supports 64 bit operating systems.

Under the requirements for Total Media Theater version 3 it only lists the following:

" Windows XP SP2 32-bit, Windows Vista 32 and Windows7"

http://www.arcsoft.com/estore/software_title.asp?ProductCode=TMT3P#submenu (click the requirments tab after clicking link)

No mention of 64 bit operating systems at all.
Old 10-31-2009, 08:19 PM   #5
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV1080P View Post
Under the requirements for Total Media Theater version 3 it only lists the following:

" Windows XP SP2 32-bit, Windows Vista 32 and Windows7"

http://www.arcsoft.com/estore/software_title.asp?ProductCode=TMT3P#submenu (click the requirments tab after clicking link)

The web site doesn't specifically mention 64-bit support, but I currently have TMT3 installed on Vista Ultimate 64-bit w/o any issues. Haven't upgraded that specific computer yet to Win7 although I have upgraded a laptop to Win7.
Old 10-31-2009, 09:39 PM   #6

Feb 2009

it is a microsoft requirment for any app that claimes compatibility with windows 7 to work in both 32bit AND 64bit.

in saying that i am running the newest TMT 3 on my x64 vista media box and it runs great.
Old 11-02-2009, 12:35 PM   #7

Dec 2008
Default WIN7 DOES work with Arcsoft TMT3

Using TMT3 on 2 PC's with WIN7. One Ultimate 64bit and one Home Premium 64bit. Both work great.

Using my Asus HDMI 1.3 card and an NVIdia gfx card I get the same standards I did under vista 64bit.

gr8 sound, LPCM, DTS HD Matser and all other DTS, Dobly TrueHD and all other dolby all work and great vid quality too.

I clean installed both machines rather than upgrade from vista using inplace upgrade (see winsupersite for how to do this). Everything works great and never been happier.

not used my old TMT2 tho so maybe the problem is with the version rather than Win7. I am not using compatibility mode or anything like that, just running direct from start menu. Also if anyone has trouble with TMT3, try loading up software and before playing, check updates and update to latest.
Old 11-02-2009, 01:58 PM   #8
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoonMaN View Post
it is a microsoft requirment for any app that claimes compatibility with windows 7 to work in both 32bit AND 64bit.

in saying that i am running the newest TMT 3 on my x64 vista media box and it runs great.
As an IT support person this is the first I've heard of that.
Old 11-02-2009, 02:00 PM   #9
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2006

Quote:
Arcsoft TotalMedia Theater version 2 confirmed not to work with Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit Edition

Are you running Win7 Professional or Ultimate?

Have you tried the VirtualPC/Windows XP mode yet? Works perfectly for those pesky programs/hardware that don't either like Win7 or 64-bit.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:38 PM   #10

Feb 2008

HDTV1080P, Have you tried downloading the latest software patch (directly, not through the player software?) I remember when I installed TMT2 on Windows7 it had issues until I applied the patch. I found a link to it by searching their forums. Worth a shot.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:06 PM   #11
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post

Have you tried the VirtualPC/Windows XP mode yet? Works perfectly for those pesky programs/hardware that don't either like Win7 or 64-bit.
No I have not tried Virtual PC, but might upgrade to version 3 of Total Media Theater in the future.
I have not had the time yet to install Windows 7 on my PC, the PC I was working on was someone else's.
As mentioned before the PC I built for someone it was working fine with TotalMedia Theater version 2 running under the Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit operating system. When I installed Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit Edition TotalMedia Theater stopped working completely so I uninstalled TotalMedia Theater. When I tried to install TotalMedia Theater again from the original CD-ROM, Windows 7 notified me that the Arcsoft software had a known compatibility issue with that version of Windows and that there was no solution yet.
For now this person will just use Cyberlink PowerDVD 9 which works fine with Windows 7. Maybe later they will upgrade to version 3 of Total Media Theater.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:18 PM   #12
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by essinger View Post
HDTV1080P, Have you tried downloading the latest software patch (directly, not through the player software?) I remember when I installed TMT2 on Windows7 it had issues until I applied the patch. I found a link to it by searching their forums. Worth a shot.
No I have not tried the patch and did not know about any patch. When the automated message from Microsoft came up to tell me this Arcsoft program has a known compatibility problem with this version of windows and that there is no solution yet, I decided to give up on trying to get it to work.

If Arcsoft would offer a retail box version of TotalMedia Theater 3 Platinum Edition I would purchase one. I do not like downloaded versions of software. I currently do not have any blank CD-R's to burn to and my old thermal color label maker does not work with 64 bit operating systems. I have been waiting for Arcsoft to offer a retail box version but they still do not. I might just go purchase some black CD-R's and then purchase a download version of the TotalMedia Theater version 3.

Last edited by HDTV1080P; 11-02-2009 at 11:22 PM.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:21 PM   #13

Feb 2009

Quote:

XP mode in win7 will be usless for this. an app like this one will not function inside a vm very well as the emulated video driver that is used in VPC is an extremly old S3Trio.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:39 AM   #14
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2006

Quote:
XP mode in win7 will be usless for this. an app like this one will not function inside a vm very well as the emulated video driver that is used in VPC is an extremly old S3Trio.
Have you used the Win7 XP mode though? It's much more than a VM. I've already run several older 32-bit only apps in it and if it wasn't for the top toolbar and lack of 3-D acceleration you would think it was XP itself.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:41 AM   #15
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2006

Quote:
I currently do not have any blank CD-R's to burn to and my old thermal color label maker does not work with 64 bit operating systems.
Try the XP mode on that when you get 7 installed.
Old 11-03-2009, 12:52 AM   #16

Feb 2009

Quote:
Have you used the Win7 XP mode though? It's much more than a VM. I've already run several older 32-bit only apps in it and if it wasn't for the top toolbar and lack of 3-D acceleration you would think it was XP itself.
yes i have used it, though i must admit not for this purpose. still the fact remains that an S3trio will not help things much. xp mode is mostly for office apps that companys dont want to waist dev time to update.
Old 11-03-2009, 01:23 AM   #17
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2006

Quote:
yes i have used it, though i must admit not for this purpose. still the fact remains that an S3trio will not help things much. xp mode is mostly for office apps that companys dont want to waist dev time to update.
S3 trio emulation is irrelevant when you're using software acceleration. The CPU has a far greater impact.
Old 11-03-2009, 04:42 PM   #18

Feb 2008

Quote:
No I have not tried the patch and did not know about any patch. When the automated message from Microsoft came up to tell me this Arcsoft program has a known compatibility problem with this version of windows and that there is no solution yet, I decided to give up on trying to get it to work.
http://www.arcsoft.com/downloads/dig...1_update_e.exe

Just install your retail version and ignore the error message then install the patch. Worth a shot, might save you a little dough.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray PCs, Laptops, Drives, Media and Software