COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Dexter: The Eighth Season (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Poirot: The Complete Cases Collection (Blu-ray)
$198.49
Orange Is the New Black: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$18.49
Draft Day (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Sleepaway Camp (Blu-ray)
$15.99
X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Ray Donovan: Season One (Blu-ray)
$24.49
Transformers Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$17.24
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase One - Avengers Assembled (Blu-ray)
$119.99
Transformers: Dark of the Moon 3D (Blu-ray)
$13.80
Steven Spielberg Director's Collection (Blu-ray)
$91.99
D-Day Remembered (Blu-ray)
$39.99
The Wind Will Carry Us (Blu-ray)
$19.49
Titanic 3D (Blu-ray)
$18.49
The Slumber Party Massacre (Blu-ray)
$13.99
Afflicted (Blu-ray)
$12.49
CSI: Crime Scene Investigation: The Ninth Season (Blu-ray)
$34.33
Ghostbusters Limited Edition Gift Set (Blu-ray)
$89.96
Old 03-24-2011, 08:24 AM   #1
Blu-ray reviewer

Jul 2007
X
-
-
Default Scarface (September 6th)

Scarface Blu-ray Review

Scarface Limited Edition Humidor Blu-ray

Scarface Blu-ray

Official press-sheet. Street date: September 6th.

Quote:
THE POP CULTURE PHENOMENON THAT REDEFINED THE GANGSTER GENRE COMES TO BLU-RAY TM
FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER SEPTEMBER 6, 2011

Special Limited Edition Blu-Ray TM Kicks-Off with a National Fan Art Contest & Will Feature Collectible Packaging, New Bonus Content and Digital Copy.

Plus the Ultimate Fan Gift: A Limited-Run Scarface-Themed Humidor Specially Crafted by the Renowned Daniel Marshall.

Universal City, California, March 24, 2011—With machine guns blazing, the explosive underworld epic Scarface arrives on Blu-ray TM Hi-Def September 6, 2011 from Universal Studios Home Entertainment.

Considered one of the most influential gangster films ever made, Scarface’s gritty depiction of Tony Montana’s lethal ambition has made it a cultural touchstone that spans generations. Now, fans can experience the film’s raw power in the newly restored, high-resolution, high-definition picture and explosive 7.1 audio for the first time ever. Exclusive new bonus content created especially for this release reveals the film’s iconic legacy as one of the greatest crime sagas of all time. For a limited time only, Scarface Special Limited Edition Blu-rayTM comes with collectible SteelBookTM packaging, ten exclusive art cards, a digital copy of the film and a DVD of the original 1932 Scarface, making it a must-own addition to every film fan’s library. And, for the ultimate collector and cigar enthusiast, an elegantly hand-crafted Scarface-themed humidor will be made available in an exclusive, never-before-available, limited edition. Created by the renowned Daniel Marshall, the humidor’s exterior is hand painted and polished with the Marshall’s trademark “1000 coat brilliant finish.” The interior – made with untreated Spanish cedar – will properly condition and age approximately 100 cigars at optimal humidity levels. Limited to 1,000 worldwide, each individually numbered humidor comes embellished with custom medallions inspired by the iconic film and includes a certificate of authenticity.

“Nearly 30 years after it first exploded onto the screen, Scarface stands as a cultural icon with a passionate and growing fan base that continues to exert an enduring influence on not just moviemakers but artists across the entire pop-culture landscape,” said Craig Kornblau, President of Universal Studios Home Entertainment. “Now, for the first time ever, fans of this jewel in the Universal crown can enjoy Scarface with the spectacular picture and sound quality that only Blu-rayTM provides.”

A masterful collaboration between acclaimed director Brian de Palma (The Untouchables, Carlito’s Way) and Academy Award®-winning screenwriter Oliver Stone (Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps, Platoon), Scarface features extraordinary performances from a powerhouse cast that includes Academy Award® winner Al Pacino (The Godfather), Academy Award® nominee Michelle Pfeiffer (The Fabulous Baker Boys, Hairspray), Academy Award® nominee Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio (The Color of Money, The Perfect Storm), Academy Award® nominee Robert Loggia (Jagged Edge) and Steven Bauer (Traffic). The film was nominated for three Golden Globe® Awards (including Best Actor, Best Supporting Actor and Best Original Score), and was named one of the Top 10 Gangster Films of All Time by the American Film Institute.

NATIONAL FAN ART CONTEST

To celebrate the film’s Blu-rayTM debut, fans will have a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to design Scarface-inspired artwork using classic Tony Montana images from the film. Universal will select the Top 25 submissions based on creativity, originality, quality of composition/design and utilization of the Scarface theme. Fans will vote on their favorite 10 submissions which will then be featured as exclusive art cards in the Scarface Limited Edition Blu-rayTM. The designer who garners the highest number of fan votes will become the Grand Prize winner, and will have their art featured on both the art card and on a high-profile billboard in a major US city to promote the release.

For more information on how to enter the fan art contest and to be among the first to hear future exciting, exclusive announcements about Scarface on Blu-rayTM, join over 3.6 million fans on Facebook and visit http://www.facebook.com/scarfacethemovie.

BONUS FEATURES

· The Scarface Phenomenon— This all-new documentary presents Scarface as a unique phenomenon in cinema history. It explores how a film plagued by controversy leading up to its release has become a Hollywood classic, influencing a whole new generation of filmmakers and leaving a lasting imprint on popular culture.

· Deleted Scenes

· The World of Tony Montana —Experience the world of the ultimate gangster and hear from experts on the real world violence, fear and paranoia that surrounds a drug lord.

· The Rebirth —Director Brian De Palma, producer Martin Bregman, actor Al Pacino, and screenwriter Oliver Stone revisit the history of Scarface, from the inspiration of the original Howard Hawks classic to the evolution of the script.

· The Acting — Join the filmmakers, Al Pacino and Steven Bauer to discover how each of the roles was cast and how Brian De Palma worked with his actors to get unforgettable performances.

· The Creating — A fascinating, controversial and definitive journey through the making of the film, which began with the production being forced to leave its initial location in Florida. Discover how the chainsaw scene was filmed, learn about the production design, the photography, and the struggle to get the film an “R” rating.

· Scarface: The TV Version—A revealing and hilarious montage of film clips comparing the theatrical version to the network television version of Scarface.

· The Making of Scarface: The Video Game: Immerse yourself in the world of Scarface in this behind-the-scenes look at the creation of the video game.

· U-CONTROL FEATURES ON THIS BLU-RAY DISC:

· Scarface Scoreboard—Watch Scarface like never before. Keep track of the number of times the “F” word is used and monitor the bullets fired!

· Picture in Picture—Access interview footage of Brian De Palma, Al Pacino, Screenwriter Oliver Stone, and others without interruption to the movie experience. Also featured is a scene comparison between the 1983 version of Scarface and Howard Hawks’ original film.

· BD-LIVE™—Access the BD-Live™ Center through your Internet-connected player to get even more content, watch the latest trailers and more.

· pocket BLU™ app— USHE’s groundbreaking pocket BLU™ app uses iPhone™, iPad™, iPod® touch, Smartphone, Android™, PC and Macintosh to work seamlessly with a network-connected Blu-ray™ player and offers advanced features such as:

o Advanced Remote Control: A sleek, elegant new way to operate your Blu-ray™ player. Users can navigate through menus, playback and BD-Live™ functions with ease.

o Video Timeline: Users can easily bring up the video timeline, allowing them to instantly access any point in the movie.

o Mobile-To-Go: Users can unlock a selection of bonus content with their Blu-ray™ discs to save to mobile devices or to stream from anywhere there’s a Wi-Fi network, enabling them to enjoy exclusive content on the go, anytime, anywhere.

o Keyboard: Enter data into a Blu-ray™ player with your device’s easy and intuitive keyboard to facilitate such Blu-ray™ features as chatting with friends and sending messages.

SYNOPSIS

In the spring of 1980, the Mariel boatlift brought thousands of Cuban refugees to the sun-washed avenues of Miami in search of the American dream. From acclaimed director Brian DePalma, Scarface is the rags-to-riches story of Tony Montana (Al Pacino), who finds wealth, power and passion beyond his wildest dreams…at a price he never imagined. Tony Montana’s meteoric rise, lavish life and soul-destroying fall anchor an epic film that inspired a worldwide following. Pacino is at his most memorable as Montana, blasting his way to the top of Miami’s drug underworld in a bravura performance.

Technical Information:

Street Date: September 6, 2011
Rating: R
Running Time: 2 Hours 50 Minutes
Number of Layers: BD-50
Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1
Technical Info: English DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1/DTS Surround 2.0, French DTS Surround 2.0 Mono, Spanish DTS Surround 2.0 Mono
Languages: English SDH, French and Spanish subtitles
Pro-B

Last edited by Deciazulado; 08-26-2011 at 07:52 PM.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:28 AM   #2
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2009

I hope the the film has been remastered properly. Look forward to reading reviews eventually.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:34 AM   #3
Special Member

Feb 2008
France

Sound exciting, I really hope the HD master is not the one that date from early 2000.
Widescreen is better.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:42 AM   #4
Blu-ray reviewer

Jul 2007
X
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdvision View Post
Sound exciting, I really hope the HD master is not the one that date from early 2000.

Quote:
...fans can experience the film’s raw power in the newly restored, high-resolution, high-definition picture and explosive 7.1 audio for the first time ever.
Pro-B
Old 03-24-2011, 08:53 AM   #5
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2009

Looks like it includes the original stereo track in DTS. That's a nice addition.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:02 AM   #6
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2010
New York City, NY

Blech. I hate steelbooks or any of that crap.
I'll import it from somewhere else.

Too bad the TV deleted scenes won't be included.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:19 AM   #7
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2010
Chicago

This is one of those films I don't *really* care for and won't really watch all that frequently but respect for the hobby will eventually force me to get it.

The steelbook could get me to ditch the 'eventually' too, I suppose.
And I have been fortunate to escape what has been called “that form of snobbery which can accept the Literature of Entertainment in the Past, but only the Literature of the Enlightenment in the Present.” - Raymond Chandler

'Course I'm respectable. I'm old. Politicians, ugly buildings, and whor*s all get respectable if they last long enough. - Noah Cross
Old 03-24-2011, 10:31 AM   #8
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2010
Van Nuys, CA/ Argentina

Great news! day one for me
The Driver, The Mechanic, The Girl, and GTO.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:53 AM   #9
Banned

Feb 2007

Awesome! I will ask this for my birthday! That steelbook looks sweet! This will be my first steelbook and I will display it proudly!
Old 03-24-2011, 11:04 AM   #10
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2009
T.O.

STFU!!!!!

the blu ray i have been waiting for since day one

i will be so complete with this!
382 BLUS
TV: Sony KDS 55A2020
Receiver: Yamaha HTR 6063
Speakers: x3 Boston Acoustics CS 26, x2 Energy C-200, x2 PA HDS10 Subs
Sources: Panasonic BDP 65, 120gb PS3 slim, Toshiba 1080p DVD, Bell HD SAT
Protection: Monster HDP 1800

EVIL TROY AND EVIL ABED! CRUEL, CRUEL CRUEL CRUEL!
Old 03-24-2011, 11:14 AM   #11
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2009

Well, the cover certainly does a nice job of not adding to the glorification of the "Tony Montana" persona :P. It is a good movie, just overhyped for all the wrong reasons. If the picture quality is any good, I'm sure I'll buy it at one time.
Blu-ray releases should be perfect representations of their cinema counterparts.

My Blu-Ray/DVD Collection
Old 03-24-2011, 11:20 AM   #12
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2010
Deep in the jungle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by octagon View Post
This is one of those films I don't *really* care for and won't really watch all that frequently but respect for the hobby will eventually force me to get it. The steelbook could get me to ditch the 'eventually' too, I suppose.
I'll never buy something I don't want.....least of all out of "respect for a hobby". That's kinda crazy, IMHO.

Anyway, as far as this release goes....DOP for me. One of my favorites, though I usually only revist it about once a year these days.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:27 AM   #13
Special Member

Feb 2008
France

Newly restored might mean just a new re-encode. I'm being devil's advocate here
Widescreen is better.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:36 AM   #14

Mar 2011

That's one more I can cross off the list. First week purchase for sure.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:44 AM   #15
Blu-ray Champion

Nov 2009
Pittsburgh, PA

I hope this isn't only available as a steelbook. I won't be getting it if it is.
BIG Pittsburgh Penguins and Chloe Grace Moretz fan!
Old 03-24-2011, 12:00 PM   #16
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2011
Letterboxd

best news of the week. Day 1 buy of course
Old 03-24-2011, 12:33 PM   #17

Jan 2010

Day one for me. Yes it is "overhyped", but its enjoyable and quotable. And now you can enjoy the dated music in 7.1! I like the addition of the 1932 orginal and the "scoreboard" feature.
"I'll just regress, because I feel I've made myself perfectly redundant" -Charlie Kelley
Old 03-24-2011, 01:05 PM   #18
Power Member

Apr 2009

Love this movie. Day 1 for me!
Old 03-24-2011, 01:17 PM   #19
Expert Member

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingbull View Post
...its enjoyable and quotable...
Not in mixed company.
Old 03-24-2011, 01:19 PM   #20

Jan 2009

Day 1 without a doubt for me. only other Steelbooks i got are The Departed and Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and those are for DVD, oh and Resident Evil 5 and the last 2 Call Of Duty's for PS3

Last edited by mcthuggin99; 03-24-2011 at 01:23 PM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America