COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down! (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Y Tu Mamá También (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Blu-ray)
$19.96
The East (Blu-ray)
$6.99
It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Blu-ray)
$18.96
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Like Water for Chocolate (Blu-ray)
$9.29
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Blu-ray)
$74.99
Once Upon a Time: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$39.99
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Tinto Brass: Maestro of Erotica Cinema (Blu-ray)
$45.34
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Game of Thrones - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Friends: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$110.00
Only Lovers Left Alive (Blu-ray)
$23.59
Chuck: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$66.99
The Gold Rush (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Tekken 2: Kazuya's Revenge (Blu-ray)
$14.96
Old 12-17-2009, 10:20 PM   #201
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2009
Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by M and J View Post
I really don't now what to think, is it worth to watch??
If you have no problem with this sight of Michael Myers then watch it.

[Show spoiler]
Old 12-17-2009, 11:26 PM   #202

Apr 2009

Personally, I've never been a fan of Rob Zombie/White Zombie. When I read that he had directed a film...House of 1000 Corpses - I figured it would basically be a White Zombie video with profanity and excessive violence.
Well, then I started to hear about it being slapped with an X rating...and then the original studio backing out on it. At that point, the depraved side of me decided I needed to see what all the fuss was about. When it began playing at a local theater...I dragged my then girlfriend (now wife) to see it.
She hated it...I liked it.
I liked it in the sense that it wasn't some water downed PG-13 Scream wannabe. While it did have the "White Zombie" video on steroids feel to it - it also had something else. It felt gritty...depraved...graphic...like something that should be playing in some little hole in the wall cinema back in the 70's.
I truly got the sense that he was a true fan of the horror genre. Being a horror fan (Session 9 being a personal favorite)...I appreciated that.
Then came The Devil's Rejects. Again, I dragged my (now) wife - kicking and screaming, as she HATED House of 1000 Corpses - to see it.
I liked it as well. Again, it's a somewhat flawed film (I'm not a fan of CG blood) but it definitely showed Rob Zombie growing as a director.
It had a unique look and feel to it. And again...was truly a horror film. The hotel scene with the family truly makes for uncomfortable viewing - especially after you've sworn to your wife that this film won't be nearly as bad as 1000 Corpses.
Then came the re-make of Halloween.
I love the original Halloween series. Part 1 is obviously - without a doubt- the crowning jewel of the series, but truthfully, I love them all. Although, I don't know...seeing Busta Ryhmes perform karate on Michael...made me feel like the series had definitely jumped the shark.
Anyways, as we all know, the internet was rampant with derogatory opinions/remarks on Rob Zombie having the audacity to re-make such a classic.
I, on the other hand, figured it was a win/win situation. At the very least, I would have another Michael Myers enstallment to add to my collection and there was no way it could be any worse than watching Busta Rhymes go Karate Kid on Michael Myers. And at least I knew it was being done by somebody who truly seemed to appreciate and love the horror genre as a whole.
In my opinion, he did the best that could be expected in doing a re-make of a classic. I would have hated to see a shot for shot re-make (a la Gus Van Sant's Psycho). I appreciate that while re-telling the story...he at least added some new elements to it. I've watched it several times now and appreciate/respect it a little bit more each time I see it. Although, I must admit the Theatrical Version is by far the better version. The unfortunate rape scene in the Director's Cut just feels unnecessary and gratuitous.
Anyways, the sequel took the film in yet another direction. It has a dream like feel to it...almost surreal.
I really liked it. While again, like Rob Zombie's other films, it had elements that I didn't necessarily agree with. I didn't really care for the direction he took Loomis' character in this one. I'm not going to get into any spoilers, but I will say that the ending seemed a little tacked on to me. Although, I thought the final shot of the movie was truly creepy and unsettling.
So, in the end...I look forward to seeing what lies ahead for Rob Zombie's directorial efforts. I appreciate him in the same way that I appreciate Eli Roth. They both obviously have an affinity for the horror genre and are just trying to give something back to others who share that same love.
To anyone who is on the fence about this film - I say give it a chance. While the original Halloween sequels ended up being more "fun" than scary...they just didn't have John Carpenter's original intent (IMO) of being scary and unsettling. At least Rob Zombie tried to infuse a little bit of that back into the series.
For that alone - I say more power to him.

Last edited by rushmore; 12-17-2009 at 11:42 PM.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:40 PM   #203
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2008

tldr
Old 12-17-2009, 11:48 PM   #204
Blu-ray Knight

Nov 2009
Club Loop

Anyone suspect if the price of the first one (well, 2007 "first one") will drop when the second one comes out? I've been meaning to pick it up, but for 20 bucks at amazon, I'm not ready to pounce on it so I'm hoping it drops when the sequel drops in January.

Think it will?

Oh, and BTW, I'm aware alot of people hate this film, but still gonna blind buy it. I hate renting.
Seattle Seahawks XLVIII Champions
Old 12-18-2009, 12:05 AM   #205
Expert Member

Apr 2008

Although Rob Zombie's H1 and H2 are not the greatest horror movies ever made, they were multi layered and overall very enjoyable. I loved them both very much (when i'm not comparing them to Carpenters version). They are considerably better than any Halloween movie that was made post 1978.

On a side note do you think Zombie really gives a shit if we don't like his movies?? I swear as though he made H2 the way HE wanted to make it and didn't give a f**K how it was received by Halloween fans and critics alike. Almost despite them. If and when he reads forums (such as this) I bet he gets a nice hard laugh and says "they are STILL complaining about it" which makes me like/respect him even more.

Cant wait till your next effort Rob!
Old 12-18-2009, 12:24 AM   #206
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2008
Champlin, MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by F13BluRay View Post
Although Rob Zombie's H1 and H2 are not the greatest horror movies ever made, they were multi layered and overall very enjoyable. I loved them both very much (when i'm not comparing them to Carpenters version). They are considerably better than any Halloween movie that was made post 1978.

On a side note do you think Zombie really gives a shit if we don't like his movies?? I swear as though he made H2 the way HE wanted to make it and didn't give a f**K how it was received by Halloween fans and critics alike. Almost despite them. If and when he reads forums (such as this) I bet he gets a nice hard laugh and says "they are STILL complaining about it" which makes me like/respect him even more.

Cant wait till your next effort Rob!
He might not give a shit what we think but his ass was fired from H3 becuase of how shitty H2 was. So yeah fans do matter and he most likely won't do anything good for awhile. If the blob remake is true that will be another failure since he said he doesn't want the creature to be a blob or resemble even though the movie is called the BLOB. So yeah she how that works out for him.
Old 12-18-2009, 01:08 AM   #207
Expert Member

Apr 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by detective392 View Post
He might not give a shit what we think but his ass was fired from H3 becuase of how shitty H2 was. So yeah fans do matter and he most likely won't do anything good for awhile. If the blob remake is true that will be another failure since he said he doesn't want the creature to be a blob or resemble even though the movie is called the BLOB. So yeah she how that works out for him.
I never said fans don't matter... I just believe he doesn't give a shit overall about how they feel HIS movie should be made. Even if he made a critically and box office successful H2 this thread would still be happening. His reaction would still be same too.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:52 AM   #208

Nov 2009
Portugal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeRunner2007 View Post
If you have no problem with this sight of Michael Myers then watch it.

[Show spoiler]
Whoww, now that's scary. In a bad way!
Old 12-18-2009, 02:05 PM   #209
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2007
Haddonfield, IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by iam1bearcat View Post
Anyone suspect if the price of the first one (well, 2007 "first one") will drop when the second one comes out? I've been meaning to pick it up, but for 20 bucks at amazon, I'm not ready to pounce on it so I'm hoping it drops when the sequel drops in January.

Think it will?

Oh, and BTW, I'm aware alot of people hate this film, but still gonna blind buy it. I hate renting.
I doubt that the price will drop. You can get it on Amazon Marketplace for around $18 right now. I will say it's worth picking up if you like the movie. The transfer is great and the 4 hr "making of" doc is just phenominal. Rob's commentary is also really interesting.

Also, if you like Zombie, I think you'll like H2. I liked it better than the remake.

Quote:
He wasn't fired from H3. His vision was complete with this entry and he stated that he was done with the series.
The member formally known as Leem6453.
Old 12-18-2009, 02:56 PM   #210
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2008
Champlin, MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by leem6453 View Post
I doubt that the price will drop. You can get it on Amazon Marketplace for around $18 right now. I will say it's worth picking up if you like the movie. The transfer is great and the 4 hr "making of" doc is just phenominal. Rob's commentary is also really interesting.

Also, if you like Zombie, I think you'll like H2. I liked it better than the remake.

He wasn't fired from H3. His vision was complete with this entry and he stated that he was done with the series.
yeah and the fact that they said they don't want him back for H3 or any where near it if he was to change his mind. They are also remaking/re-booting the Halloween franchise again to try to clean up the mess that zombie made.
Old 12-18-2009, 03:08 PM   #211
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2009
Germany

They could just say Laurie is alive and is in a sanitarium. Her therapist Barabara form H2 is trying to help her just like Loomis did in H1. Laurie behaves like Michael and asks Brackett when he visits her how things are at home, how's Annie etc. Later she does not speak anymore and Michael is coming to get her. His appearance reminds more of the original shape now (jumpsuit, white mask, no grunting, slow walking, kitchen knife, no talking, doesn't take his mask off etc.). It will be more or less in the spirit of the original H2 from 1981 and Michael kills the whole staff before he gets to Laurie. The movie will feature the classic Halloween Theme/Music throughout. So the story does continue from Rob's H2 and it's also a reboot of the original franchise somehow. Maybe Loomis will pop up too and behaves much like Donald Pleasence character. Also no Deborah, no young Michael and no white horse.

Last edited by BladeRunner2007; 12-18-2009 at 03:36 PM.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:50 PM   #212
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2007
Haddonfield, IL

I'm not sure which way they'll go next. I hope they keep it really dark and creepy, but add a little more mainstream Michael to it. I miss how he used to be in the series...sans H1 - H6. There were things that they could take away from the Zombie series and the original to possibly find a middle ground that can get the series back on track.

I think Zombie's remake from 2007 got the look of Michael (grown up) perfect...the mask, Tyler's build, etc. They could do without the beard though. I like that Michael had a more "angelic" look in the original. It just added to the creepiness. They could definitely lose the "white trash" aspect of the characters though.
The member formally known as Leem6453.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:29 PM   #213
Banned

Jul 2007

Quote:
He might not give a shit what we think but his ass was fired from H3 becuase of how shitty H2 was.
Don't let facts get in the way, slim. HE WASN'T FIRED FROM H3, HE WAS NEVER HIRED FOR H3!!!!!
Old 12-18-2009, 08:31 PM   #214
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2009
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem471 View Post
he was never hired for h3!!!!!
Good
Old 12-18-2009, 08:33 PM   #215
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2008
Champlin, MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem471 View Post
Don't let facts get in the way, slim. HE WASN'T FIRED FROM H3, HE WAS NEVER HIRED FOR H3!!!!!
Yeah but they said they don't want him any where near Halloween 3 and they are rebooting the franchise again to try to clean HIS mess. So it was pretty much fired from H3 if he wanted to do it or change his mind. So yes it wasn't a typical being fired but they won't hire him again that's for sure.

Last edited by detective392; 12-18-2009 at 08:35 PM.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:04 PM   #216
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2009

Quote:
Yeah but they said they don't want him any where near Halloween 3 and they are rebooting the franchise again to try to clean HIS mess. So it was pretty much fired from H3 if he wanted to do it or change his mind. So yes it wasn't a typical being fired but they won't hire him again that's for sure.
I thought it was said he didn't even want to come back for a 2nd one, so why do people think he would of came back for a 3rd? I don't think he was fired from anything. H2 was it for Zombie in his mind.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:10 PM   #217
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2008
Champlin, MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassavetesGodard View Post
I thought it was said he didn't even want to come back for a 2nd one, so why do people think he would of came back for a 3rd? I don't think he was fired from anything. H2 was it for Zombie in his mind.
Because he said he didn't want to do a 2nd one but then changed his mind. But yeah he wasn't technically fired in the sense but they won't be hiring him again.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:41 PM   #218
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2009

Quote:
Because he said he didn't want to do a 2nd one but then changed his mind. But yeah he wasn't technically fired in the sense but they won't be hiring him again.
That's good, because Zombie should be doing T-Rex now.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:05 PM   #219
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2009
Bay Area, Cali
Send a message via Yahoo to CZAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by opterasis View Post
The disgusting thing is, no, this movie was not better than Jason X.

Tell em! Got Em!!

Quote:
Not if you are a fan of the original Halloween movies. But no I would just totally skip this movie all together.
+1 Got Em!!
"Quinton is IN....let the fun BEGIN" - Can't Buy Me Love
Old 12-18-2009, 10:21 PM   #220
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2009
Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassavetesGodard View Post
That's good, because Zombie should be doing T-Rex now.
Agreed. But I think he should also make a movie about Rondo and Billy Ray Snapper from The Devil's Rejects. They both have awesome spin-off material. These guys rock!
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America