Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Edge of Tomorrow (Blu-ray)
$14.99
3 hrs ago
Halloween: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$79.99
7 hrs ago
Neighbors (Blu-ray)
$9.99
3 hrs ago
Jersey Boys (Blu-ray)
$14.99
3 hrs ago
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$14.99
5 hrs ago
Ice Age 4 Movie Set (Blu-ray)
$16.99
20 hrs ago
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$11.99

Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure (Blu-ray)
$4.99
54 min ago
Tammy (Blu-ray)
$14.99
3 hrs ago
Arrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Alien Quadrilogy (Blu-ray)
$16.99
20 hrs ago
A Million Ways to Die in the West (Blu-ray)
$11.99
6 hrs ago
Lone Survivor (Blu-ray)
$9.99
1 hr ago
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 06-19-2011, 12:47 PM   #9301
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillieCassin View Post
I'll stop staying it as soon as people stop acting like I'm asking for the Blu-ray industry to invent some mutant case with levitation abilities when all I want is for Fox to keep using the same...well, you know...that everyone else does.
Weird...I never acted like that, and I don't think Troy has, either. We both acknowledge that hub-based packaging exists...and acknowledged it decades before you decided to repeat it ad nauseum. We just don't think that the hub-based package is God. That doesn't mean we're acting like you're asking for a new form of packaging. Therefore, we met your conditions before you even began this rant. And yet, you persist. Why is that?

Quote:
Thanks so much. That really changes everything. I see the whole world differently now.
Hey, I'm just trying to help you tell us apart, as you were obviously having some trouble doing that only a few minutes ago.

Quote:
I've just replied to what you've said. I guess that does make me crazy, as I kept waiting for you to have an actual point regarding how I am wrong and that cardboard is better than hubs, not just keep putting forth your personal opinion on me.
No one ever said that cardboard was BETTER, just that...oh, the hell with it.

Troy's right, you're crazy, and there's no arguing with crazy. If all you're gonna do is ignore, misquote, and misrepresent, what's the point?

Last edited by Oblivion138; 06-19-2011 at 12:50 PM.
Old 06-19-2011, 12:52 PM   #9302
Expert Member

Nov 2009
The Lone Star State

*yawn*
Old 06-19-2011, 12:56 PM   #9303
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by markwm View Post
*yawn*
+1
Old 06-19-2011, 12:59 PM   #9304
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblivion138 View Post
Weird...I never acted like that, and I don't think Troy has, either. We both acknowledge that hub-based packaging exists...and acknowledged it decades before you decided to repeat it ad nauseum. We just don't think that the hub-based package is God. That doesn't mean we're acting like you're asking for a new form of packaging. Therefore, we met your conditions before you even began this rant. And yet, you persist. Why is that?
Well, what do you call the overreaction to my posts then? I wouldn't have to go on like it's "God" if people weren't questioning me about it over and over, acting like I am asking for something wildly unusual.

Why do I persist? Because I'm happy to keep talking about this topic which I feel is important, and because people like you keep making light of it and mischaracterizing my statements. I'll take any opportunity to discuss an issue I care about; I'm a writer, it's also great practice.

Quote:
Hey, I'm just trying to help you tell us apart, as you were obviously having some trouble doing that only a few minutes ago.
Yeah, I know. Apparently I deeply offended you since this is what, the third time you have mentioned it?

It's hard to tell you apart, though. You make very similar arguments. He says, "Never happened to me, not a problem then!" And you make sweeping generalizations pretty consistently - first, it's "People pride themselves on scuff-free laserdiscs!" or above where you keep insinuating that I somehow handle my Blu-rays with museum-quality gloves. Your exaggerations on both sides are simply not based on the words I am saying. You know why I like hubs? Because I don't have to be "paranoid" about my discs.

Quote:
No one ever said that cardboard was BETTER, just that...oh, the hell with it.

Troy's right, you're crazy, and there's no arguing with crazy. If all you're gonna do is ignore and misquote, what's the point?
If it's not better, then why the hell are you two so obsessed with my posts?

Again, since I seem to have hurt you so deeply - I apologize for confusing, in one post, two arguments that the two of you have had. This is the FOURTH time you have mentioned it, so it really must have bothered you.

If you think that that invalidates anything else I've said, you are falling for the same logical fallacies as your buddy. So it's no wonder I confused the two of you for a brief moment.
If you have to whip out a microscope to decide if you like a Blu-ray or not, you are missing the point.

ESSENTIAL STAR WARS READING:
How Disney Bought Lucasfilm
The Special Edition Restoration Process
Old 06-19-2011, 01:13 PM   #9305
Power Member

Sep 2009

Billie, I'm sorry I called or insinuated you were crazy. It was uncalled for and rather unnecessary since your own posts did a far better job illustrating it then mine. I'm willing to drop this whole thing here and just move on. I think you, me and Oblivion138 are all better than this. So let's agree to disagree and get past this. Besides, the mods are gonna wipe most of this away by Monday anyway. Take it easy.
Old 06-19-2011, 01:55 PM   #9306
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy73 View Post
I'm done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy73 View Post
Billie, I'm sorry I called or insinuated you were crazy. It was uncalled for and rather unnecessary since your own posts did a far better job illustrating it then mine. I'm willing to drop this whole thing here and just move on. I think you, me and Oblivion138 are all better than this. So let's agree to disagree and get past this. Besides, the mods are gonna wipe most of this away by Monday anyway. Take it easy.
OK, does that mean you are "Really really done" now?

I'm sure you are hoping they delete it, to hide your behavior. If you hadn't put the backhanded insult in there, that would have been a nice post above. I guess I should apologize as well - as I didn't need to keep humiliating you out over and over pointing out how each posting you made was either a complete logical fallacy or simply insulting me since you could not come up with a logical reason why I am "wrong". Likewise, you did a great job yourself by consistently making posts that way demonstrating it.

If I'm crazy because I "go on and on about it like it's God" as your cohort insinuates (I'm sorry, was it paranoid? I must have Alzheimer's as It's tough to know which mental disorder you guys are assigning me now to deflect from your lack of point), that's like repeatedly flashing a light in someone's eyes and then accusing them of having a seizure because they keep squinting and blinking.
If you have to whip out a microscope to decide if you like a Blu-ray or not, you are missing the point.

Old 06-19-2011, 02:14 PM   #9307
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2010
The Shire
USA

Wow when was the last time any of the actual Alien movies was mentioned in this thread!!

I just recieved my copy of the Alien Anthology on Saturday. I am excited to get immersed into and revisting with this film series. I don't think I have seen the original Alien movie in some time. I am quite excited to own it and to watch it on Blu-Ray.

Hmmmmm....the question now is do I start with the Theatrical Cut or the Director's Cut of Alien.....
Planet of the Apes: 40 Year Evolution Collection #1 - 4/20/10, The Outlaw Josey Wales #100 - 2/1/11, Flags of our Fathers - #200 - 7/1/11, Raging Bull #300 - 1/10/12, Justice League:Doom #400 - 5/26/12, Kagemusha #500 - 7/21/12, The Game #600 - 10/31/12, Dawn of the Dead #700 - 1/20/13, Battlestar Galactica (1978) #800 - 5/19/13, Boardwalk Empire S1 #900 - 8/22/13, Lethal Weapon Collection #1000 -12/3/13, Sherlock S3 #1100 - 4/29/14, Boardwalk Empire S4 #1200 - 8/20/14

My Criterion Collection

Last edited by mport5150; 06-19-2011 at 02:19 PM.
Old 06-19-2011, 02:47 PM   #9308
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by mport5150 View Post
Hmmmmm....the question now is do I start with the Theatrical Cut or the Director's Cut of Alien.....
Have you seen both already?

I'll be honest, I don't prefer one over the other. Alien is actually my least watched film of all 4, of all time. While it's artistry is amazing, I don't find it as fun a film to watch because sometimes I just want to be more popcorn entertained, which is diminished in Alien once you lose the "what does it look like??" suspense. I still enjoy it, but I go to the other films much more often.

It's funny because I just jumped over to Wikipedia because I honestly couldn't remember the exact differences off the top of my head (I've only seen the DC twice), and they had this quote from Scott :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridley Scott
The traditional definition of the term "Director's Cut" suggests the restoration of a director's original vision, free of any creative limitations. It suggests that the filmmaker has finally overcome the interference of heavy-handed studio executives, and that the film has been restored to its original, untampered form. Such is not the case with Alien: The Director's Cut. It's a completely different beast.
And there are other quotes that basically say he made it because Fox wanted him to, and because he wanted to give us more Alien since that's what we wanted (though, ironically enough, I forgot until I read the page - it's one minute shorter than the original cut.

So I'd say the original first, since some of it is not in the DC, since I'm all for chronology.

Now Aliens - Directors Cut all the way, baby - and I can name every change off the top of my head in about twenty seconds.

Old 06-19-2011, 03:02 PM   #9309
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2010
The Shire
USA

Quote:
Have you seen both already?

So I'd say the original first, since some of it is not in the DC, since I'm all for chronology.

Now Aliens - Directors Cut all the way, baby - and I can name every change off the top of my head in about twenty seconds.
Thanks for the input....I was leaning Theatrical with Alien.....just so much to this box set....I can watch just this for a week!
Planet of the Apes: 40 Year Evolution Collection #1 - 4/20/10, The Outlaw Josey Wales #100 - 2/1/11, Flags of our Fathers - #200 - 7/1/11, Raging Bull #300 - 1/10/12, Justice League:Doom #400 - 5/26/12, Kagemusha #500 - 7/21/12, The Game #600 - 10/31/12, Dawn of the Dead #700 - 1/20/13, Battlestar Galactica (1978) #800 - 5/19/13, Boardwalk Empire S1 #900 - 8/22/13, Lethal Weapon Collection #1000 -12/3/13, Sherlock S3 #1100 - 4/29/14, Boardwalk Empire S4 #1200 - 8/20/14

My Criterion Collection
Old 06-19-2011, 03:31 PM   #9310
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2009

Quote:
Thanks for the input....I was leaning Theatrical with Alien.....just so much to this box set....I can watch just this for a week!
It took me two months to get through all the major video content. I've barely scratched the surface of the rest, I plan to go and finish everything off as I rewatch each film over time. It's a bit much at once, but I love the depth and the detail.

My favorite part is the "archive" of the Laser extras. I have gone into those - and I love that it truly can replace the old set. I was dearly hoping something like this for Star Wars, and still hope to be surprised.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:00 AM   #9311
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2010

Are we back to talking about Alien now? Praise Jebus!

The Theatrical Cut of Alien wins, hands down. While there are things that I prefer about the 2003 "Director's Cut," one scene was re-inserted toward the end of the film that was cut for very good reason...it stops the movie dead in its tracks when the pacing needs to barrel along. Scott realized this, and cut the scene in question. And he was right. When Fox approached him about doing an alternate cut for the DVD box-set (they wanted two cuts for each film), they basically wanted that scene reinstated. He agreed to do it, so long as he could take a crack at the rest of the film while he was at it. And in the course of creating the 2003 "Director's Cut," he made some adjustments that I really liked. But that scene toward the end just kills it, and knocks the ball back into the Theatrical Cut's court once and for all. It's great as a deleted scene, but it just doesn't work in the film.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:55 AM   #9312
Power Member

Sep 2009

Quote:
IMO, you should always start with the theatrical cut. I feel it helps you appreciate the directors/extended cut more and in some cases less. It is the best place to start though.
Quote:
Now Aliens - Directors Cut all the way, baby
Damn True! However, I feel the theatrical will still help in the appreciation of just how awesome the differences in the Directors Cut are.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:57 AM   #9313
Power Member

Sep 2009

Quote:
The Theatrical Cut of Alien wins, hands down. While there are things that I prefer about the 2003 "Director's Cut," one scene was re-inserted toward the end of the film that was cut for very good reason...it stops the movie dead in its tracks when the pacing needs to barrel along.
I know exactly what scene you're talking about and it's cool but out of place. Another reason why I prefer to watch theatrical cuts before Directors or Extended.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:07 AM   #9314
Power Member

Sep 2009

Quote:
It took me two months to get through all the major video content. I've barely scratched the surface of the rest, I plan to go and finish everything off as I rewatch each film over time. It's a bit much at once, but I love the depth and the detail.

My favorite part is the "archive" of the Laser extras. I have gone into those - and I love that it truly can replace the old set. I was dearly hoping something like this for Star Wars, and still hope to be surprised.
I watched this set and its features every chance I got. It actually caused my girlfriend to get pissed because at the time we had also just got the Back to the Future set. I kept putting that off to watch Alien films and features. What's scary is, once you start watching this set and delve into its impressive supplemental package it's almost impossible to stop. So much worth while information that I damn sure never knew about. That's why any blu-ray fan on this forum who even remotely likes any one of these films needs to own this. Even if you're one of these hard-@sses who only likes 1 or 2 of the films, just chalk the rest of the films up as more bonus material and get this damn set. It's really that good! If the Star Wars set is only half as good, I'll still be impressed.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:35 PM   #9315
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2008
Upstate, NY

Quote:
Are we back to talking about Alien now? Praise Jebus!

The Theatrical Cut of Alien wins, hands down. While there are things that I prefer about the 2003 "Director's Cut," one scene was re-inserted toward the end of the film that was cut for very good reason...it stops the movie dead in its tracks when the pacing needs to barrel along. Scott realized this, and cut the scene in question. And he was right. When Fox approached him about doing an alternate cut for the DVD box-set (they wanted two cuts for each film), they basically wanted that scene reinstated. He agreed to do it, so long as he could take a crack at the rest of the film while he was at it. And in the course of creating the 2003 "Director's Cut," he made some adjustments that I really liked. But that scene toward the end just kills it, and knocks the ball back into the Theatrical Cut's court once and for all. It's great as a deleted scene, but it just doesn't work in the film.
I guess I'll have to agree to disagree with many of you that feel that scene towards the end is a bad thing. I like it. A lot.

That scene is a huge revelation about the alien and it shows us that its just not some human-devouring beast. No - its got a plan and the plan requires hosts. I realize that we do get some idea of this because of what happens to Kane but I like the fact that we arent quite sure exactly whats going on throughout the film. I can somewhat agree that the pacing gets slowed down here and maybe this time frame of the film isnt best place for this scene but it needs to be in there. This film has a slower pace as is though so it doesnt bother me.

That scene works for me - I always watch the DC when I watch Alien!
Sony XBR 65" 4K 850B
Samsung UN6500 LED
Sony BDPS 5200, LG BD570, PS3
Toshiba A30 & A2
Sony STR DH550
Polk TSi 300's, M10's, RM8, PSW110
Harmony 560
Old 06-20-2011, 03:38 PM   #9316
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2007

I recently picked up Alien for $14.95 (I have no interest in the sequels).

On an rate, what a phenomenal film-like restoration. Absolutely top notch. This disc IS the standard for a proper handling of a 30+ year-old film.

Absolutely classic movie, as well.

Great overall viewing experience.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:20 PM   #9317
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2009

Quote:
I recently picked up Alien for $14.95 (I have no interest in the sequels).
I got a used copy of the alien anthology set, the uk one for the same price that you paid for your copy of alien
actually a little bit more due to shipping, i think it was 16 something for the whole set.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:29 PM   #9318

Apr 2011

I have a question about the set. I just received the Anthology in the mail. I am in the U.S. and the rating on the box says "Irish Film Classification Office" and the rating is 18 and not R or Unrated. I am wondering if I am going to have problems playing this on my U.S. Blu-Ray Player?
Old 06-20-2011, 08:31 PM   #9319
Blu-ray Archduke

May 2010
Mississippi, U.S.A. DigiBooks-------------------------->89 SteelBooks™--------->149 DCs------->307

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodoBagginz View Post
I have a question about the set. I just received the Anthology in the mail. I am in the U.S. and the rating on the box says "Irish Film Classification Office" and the rating is 18 and not R or Unrated. I am wondering if I am going to have problems playing this on my U.S. Blu-Ray Player?
You won't have any problems as it is region free.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:33 PM   #9320

Apr 2011

Thank you.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America