Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
28 Days Later / 28 Weeks Later (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Psycho (Blu-ray)
$10.98
The Addams Family (Blu-ray)
$8.69
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Star Trek: The Compendium (Blu-ray)
$24.96
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.99
Willow (Blu-ray)
$10.01
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.76
Van Damme 5-Movie Action Pack (Blu-ray)
$45.99
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$15.92
Begin Again (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (Blu-ray)
$10.39
Hentai Prince & the Stony Cat: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$35.98
Sherlock: The Complete Seasons 1-3 (Blu-ray)
$136.29
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray.com > Newbie Discussion

Old 11-06-2009, 02:01 PM   #1

Nov 2009
Default Having trouble connecting blu-ray to wireless network.

I have the following components that I'm trying to setup on my wireless network.

Linksys wireless router: DHCP is on

Desktop computer: Internet is working

2 laptops: one connects just fine to the wireless network. The other periodically gets disconnected from the network and I have to reboot the laptop in order for it to connect again to the network.

I bought a Samsung wireless lan adapter. The box had 2 adapters. One to plugin to the TV. The other to plugin to the back of the blu-ray player.

I was able to connect the TV to my network without any issues.

I am having trouble connecting the blu-ray player.

A week ago, I was able to connect the blu-ray player to the network and watch netflix. But I was using DHCP=off and DNS=auto. I entered in IP addresses manually and it was working. But I noticed that the issue started to occur with my laptop losing connection.

So I decided to use DHCP= on and DNS=Automatic. Whenever I select this setting, I get a message stating "Cannot find access point".

I then try to go back to the manual settings, but my network name has changed since last week and the blu-ray menu is still displaying the old network name as the access point its looking for.

Do I have to reset the blu-ray player somehow so that it looks for the new network name? I've tried turning the player off and on and I've also unplugged the adapter and plugged it back into the back of the player. But its still showing the old network name.

I was assuming that my laptop was losing connections due to the fact that I was using manual IP addresses and maybe the laptop and the blu-ray were fighting for the connection. Maybe some kind of IP conflict?

Thanks for any help. I am not sure what I'm doing wrong.
Old 11-06-2009, 02:27 PM   #2
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2008
Milwaukee, WI

Personally I run DHCP on and still manually assign IP addresses to each device in the network. That way I know exactly what IP it is. However, either setting should work for your setup. You'll need to run the setup wizard again on the player and input the new SSID (network name) and WPA encryption key (you are using encryption I hope) and allow it to auto-detect the rest.

Panasonic TC-P50G10 1080p Plasma | Onkyo 805 | PS3 Slim | Xbox360 | Wii | APC H10 | Harmony One
Def Tech BP6B Fronts | Def Tech CLR 2002 Center| Def Tech BP2X Surrounds | PA-120 Subwoofer
Old 11-06-2009, 02:43 PM   #3

Nov 2009
Default How do I input the corrrect network name?

I am unclear on where I go to enter the correct network name. When I go to the wireless setup, I highlight the network name and click the enter button. I then get the can't find access point message.

Are you saying that when I highlight the network name, I can type in the name of my network with the blu-ray remote?
Old 11-15-2009, 07:14 AM   #4
Banned

Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Send a message via ICQ to Shoowsshush
Default Having trouble connecting blu ray to wireless network

Anyone know of any region free Blu Ray players available in Australia apart from the modded ones.
Old 11-15-2009, 11:04 AM   #5

Sep 2007
Vikingland

None.
Old 11-15-2009, 11:12 AM   #6

Apr 2008
Cape Cod, MA

Just for reference, if you set the IP address manually, it needs to be out of the range of the ones that get assigned automatically. Usually be default Linksys assigns IP address between .100 and .149, which you can check by seeing what the IP address is of one of the computers that you have set to DHCP. Setting an IP address manually in that range could cause another computer to lose its connection, although It could be something else that is causing that. I would recommend setting the Blu-ray player up manually.
Sharp Aquos LC-42D64U
Integra DTR-8.8 (Onkyo 875 equiv)
Bayaudio TC40 (FL/FR/SL/SR) TC42 (C) 865 (SB)
Aerial SW-12 Sub (not original amp)
Buttkicker Mini LFE on Audiosource 5.3
SONY Playstation 3, XBOX running XBMC
Pioneer DV-F07, Rotel RDV-1060
Nintendo Wii, Sony Playstation 2
Old 11-15-2009, 03:54 PM   #7
Blu-ray Champion

May 2008
Washington, DC Metro

Everything in my home network has a manual IP address. Although I do have DHCP running, it is only for 5 devices (visitors). I also have MAC address filter set to only allow the MAC Addresses I choose.

In every device I have with a wireless connection, I have to manually type in the SSID since I do not broadcast it. I live in an urban environment and at any time there are 6-10 networks available around me.

I've recently changed wireless AP's for one of my laptops since my old Linksys was losing its connection to the wireless network a lot. I am now running a D-Link and all connection problems are gone. How old is your wireless AP? Mine was circa 2003 and the last firmware update available for it was 2006.
Panasonic TC-P65VT30
Onkyo Pro PR-SC5508P | M2Tech Young DAC | Emotiva XPA-1 (x3), XPA-2
Oppo BDP-93 | DirecTV HR23-700 HD-DVR
Sony Playstation 3 | Nintendo Wii | Apple TV 2, Mac Mini (iTunes Server), iPad
B&W 804S, HTM3S, CWM DS8S | SVS PB12-NSD | Denon AH-D2000 Headphones
Tripp Lite HT1210ISOCTR Power Conditioner, SMART1000LCD UPS System
My flickr account | My Five Year HT Upgrade Plan
Next Upgrade: Cables
Old 11-15-2009, 04:16 PM   #8

Apr 2008
Cape Cod, MA

Not sure how old my AP is (WRT54G), definitely at least a few years. As for firmware, I put the DD-WRT firmware on it and I love it. I haven't had any problems, and I can do VPN and DDNS with it, which is really great. That sucks that you have to turn off broadcasting, we don't have any other wireless networks in our area (of course I still have mine password protected). You should consider trying DD-WRT, I guess if you already got a new AP then no need, but it might be fun to just try out, especially if you might be interested in some features that aren't included with the standard home routers.
Sharp Aquos LC-42D64U
Integra DTR-8.8 (Onkyo 875 equiv)
Bayaudio TC40 (FL/FR/SL/SR) TC42 (C) 865 (SB)
Aerial SW-12 Sub (not original amp)
Buttkicker Mini LFE on Audiosource 5.3
SONY Playstation 3, XBOX running XBMC
Pioneer DV-F07, Rotel RDV-1060
Nintendo Wii, Sony Playstation 2
Old 11-13-2012, 02:20 PM   #9

Nov 2012

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but when I went to start a thread for this, it told me I didn't have permission to start a new thread, since I was new. Here is what I tried to post:

Forgive my intrusion on this forum, but my googling has pointed me here.

I recently purchased a new Magnavox MBF5320F blu ray player with built in wifi capabilities. I have been having difficulty connecting it to the wireless network, and tech support has been less than helpful.

Here is the issue...in the condo complex I live in, wifi is provided free by a company called Com Cloud. Whenever I use a device like my laptop or ipad, when I launch an internet browser, it immediately prompts me for a username and password so I can access the network. Obviously, there is no internet browser to launch on the blu ray player. So, what happens is, when the blu ray searches for a wireless network, it finds mine, says it's unsecured, says it's connected, but then when I try to launch netflix (or vudu, for that matter) it says it isn't connected and can't launch the application.

I don't have a router obviously, so I can't just enter a WEP Key or something like that.

Given my current set up, is there any way at all I could get the blu ray connected to the wireless network? Are there any options available? I called Com Cloud, and they said I needed to use a PPPOE, but after researching that, I don't see how it helps with my wireless issue at all.

Also...would I run into the same problem if I purchased a device like Apple TV? Is there any way around this issue? Help!! Thanks for any help you can provide!!
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray.com > Newbie Discussion