Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (Blu-ray)
$10.39
Minority Report (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
West Side Story (Blu-ray)
$14.98
Woodstock: 3 Days of Peace & Music (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Game of Thrones - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.98
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.99
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$15.95
The Simpsons: The Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.96
Dragon Ball Z: Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$17.99
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.98
Oblivion (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Tim Burton Collection (Blu-ray)
$26.49
A Certain Scientific Railgun: Complete Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$34.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED
Old 11-18-2009, 09:07 AM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2007
Kent
Default Matshita(panasonic) BD-MLT UJ240AS drivers?

Hey guys just got a new Vaio, a FW590, and im looking for drivers for the blu-ray writer that i opted for

BUT the Vaio Support page for my model no. doesnt have drivers for this drive! its only got drivers for an Optiarc and a different Matshita drive (no they dont work with this computer, i tried using them but it says No)

The page doesn't even have drivers for the Video Card (ATI HD 4650) its got drivers for the 4570! (that wasnt even an option on the ordering page)

I tried searching google and there's nothing for/about this drive -_- (not even the panasonic site it only lists up to the UJ235A)

Anyone have any clues?

I emailed Sony but no clue when they'll respond (sometimes they're quick sometimes i dont hear back)

edit: well i got an answer from sonystyle... what i figured as well.. it was completely unhelpful... the guy told me to use the drivers for the other drives -_- even when i said in the email that vaio driver installation wont attempt to install them because they're for different hardware.... gave me the same line for the video card drivers

waiting on panasonic to reply

edit2: 2nd reply from eSupport canada says "keep checking back to see if its added on" -_-
eSupport usa gave me another email to contact someone else... :/

Last edited by X400; 11-18-2009 at 09:31 PM.
Old 11-19-2009, 04:52 PM   #2

Sep 2008

Optical drives don't need drivers. All major operating systems will support them just fine using the OS's built-in drivers. If your BD-writer doesn't show up in your operating system then you are definitely having some kind of technical issue, but it will probably not be related to drivers.

The Matshita and Optiarc downloads listed on the VGN-FW590's software page are firmware updates, not drivers. Firmware updates are typically only necessary to add support for more writable discs than were originally supported, or sometimes to fix software bugs in the optical drive's onboard firmware. Seeing as no firmware update is listed for your drive, you probably don't need one.
Old 11-19-2009, 06:12 PM   #3

Oct 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by X400 View Post
Hey guys just got a new Vaio, a FW590, and im looking for drivers for the blu-ray writer that i opted for

BUT the Vaio Support page for my model no. doesnt have drivers for this drive! its only got drivers for an Optiarc and a different Matshita drive (no they dont work with this computer, i tried using them but it says No)

The page doesn't even have drivers for the Video Card (ATI HD 4650) its got drivers for the 4570! (that wasnt even an option on the ordering page)

I tried searching google and there's nothing for/about this drive -_- (not even the panasonic site it only lists up to the UJ235A)

Anyone have any clues?

I emailed Sony but no clue when they'll respond (sometimes they're quick sometimes i dont hear back)

edit: well i got an answer from sonystyle... what i figured as well.. it was completely unhelpful... the guy told me to use the drivers for the other drives -_- even when i said in the email that vaio driver installation wont attempt to install them because they're for different hardware.... gave me the same line for the video card drivers

waiting on panasonic to reply

edit2: 2nd reply from eSupport canada says "keep checking back to see if its added on" -_-
eSupport usa gave me another email to contact someone else... :/
Hello X400. What's up? I saw the response, but there was one key element the responder didn't talk about. The all important 4650 that you mentioned for a brief moment. Well, I have a Fujitsu A3040 laptop and you would be amazed at how when I go to fujitsu's website it stated the latest Catalyst drivers for my Express X200 is 8.3 and ATI actually had a the 9.3 drivers. Don't ever go to the manufacturers website for graphics drivers. To me, they're usually a couple of updates behind. Besides, Sony didn't put manufacture the graphics card. ATI did. Therefore, in the future to to the source. Morevover, ah....here's the thing. Go to ati.com, which will reroute you to AMD(AMD owns ATI now). Then, go to...Hold on, I have a vision. I'm looking at your laptop as we speak. One hell-of-a monster. Nice hardware. Anyway, I see that your graphics is embedded as well like mine. Therefore, when you get to AMD.com do this exactly. In the upper right hand corner on the download drivers tab, hit graphics, then Windows 7 should be your OS. Select Windows 7 32-bit or 64-bit. Next, click Mobility Radeon, then you should click the catalyst drivers that's in bold green. It should clearly direct you to another dedicated graphics page, ATI Catalyst 9.11 drivers as of this writing. When uninstalling ATI catalyst drivers or Nvidia you know what I do? I use a free program called revouninstaller to get rid of the drivers and all of the left over mess that is embedded into the registry. You will be prompted to restart the computer once everything is uninstalled. Wherever you have saved the new 9.11 drivers after the restart, find them, and then install the new drivers. Now test a blu-ray disk for playback purposes. See if that works. Otherwise, all I can say is you might have a faulty drive and I would check your warranty. Let us know what happens okay. Good luck and peace....

Last edited by blckman; 11-19-2009 at 06:17 PM.
Old 11-23-2009, 01:21 PM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2007
Kent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tor View Post
Optical drives don't need drivers. All major operating systems will support them just fine using the OS's built-in drivers. If your BD-writer doesn't show up in your operating system then you are definitely having some kind of technical issue, but it will probably not be related to drivers.

The Matshita and Optiarc downloads listed on the VGN-FW590's software page are firmware updates, not drivers. Firmware updates are typically only necessary to add support for more writable discs than were originally supported, or sometimes to fix software bugs in the optical drive's onboard firmware. Seeing as no firmware update is listed for your drive, you probably don't need one.
haha wow... i feel so stupid thanks

that still leaves the video card and thanks Blckman! ill try that instead

i feel so silly dont know what im doing must be the lack of sleep with midterms and papers

Old 11-23-2009, 05:42 PM   #5

Sep 2008

Easy mistake to make. Unfortunately most laptop manufacturers don't seem to publish up to date graphics card drivers (as blckman points out) and this often causes problems with video playback and PC games. Hope you get it working with the ATI/AMD driver.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray PCs, Laptops, Drives, Media and Software