COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Inside Llewyn Davis (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Battle Royale (Blu-ray)
$12.99
The Smurfs 2 (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Gangs of New York (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Source Code (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Leviathan (Blu-ray)
$15.89
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$74.35
Pacific Rim (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Last Vegas (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Oldboy (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Last Action Hero (Blu-ray)
$5.19
Cuban Fury (Blu-ray)
$16.99
Batman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$189.99
The Blacklist: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Mr. Peabody & Sherman (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Jaws (Blu-ray)
$7.99
God's Not Dead (Blu-ray)
$17.29
Nymphomaniac: Volumes I and II (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 Double Pack (Blu-ray)
$19.96

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > India

Old 09-20-2012, 03:00 PM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2010
India
India/Bollywood Movie you last watched in the theatre

This is a thread for discussing movies last seen at the theatre. This way, 'The blu-ray you last watched' thread will be restricted to only blu-rays/DVDs/Television.
LG 55 Inch LM6700 Passive 3D TV
Sony 5.1 HTIB, Sony 32 Inch LCD TV
Optoma HD67 Active 3D Projector With 160 Inch Screen
Nvidia 3D Vision
7.1 Polk Audio System (6 Towers)
Onkyo HT-Rc270 receiver
Old 09-21-2012, 05:20 AM   #2

May 2010
Bangalore

Thanks for creating this thread. I for one neither have sufficient means nor convenience to frequently rent blu rays. As a self conscious principal, i never even download films. So films come to me maximum via theatrical view only. Will atleast make sure to put my first reactions here now that we have a dedicated thread.

Gonna watch Heroine tonight. Lets see how madhur scores this time.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:47 AM   #3
Special Member

Jan 2009
London, UK

Last one I saw in a theater was The Dark Knight Rises. I seldom visit a theater and prefer my own home cinema.
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.- Martin Luther King, Jr.
Asus A53E Blu Ray i7 Notebook | Sony BDP S350 | Infocus IN82 Full HD DC3 DLP | Onkyo TX-SR 607 | Q Acoustics 1010i, 1000Ci, 1000Si
My Theater Gallery
Old 09-21-2012, 10:09 AM   #4
Special Member

Jan 2009
London, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anurag1700 View Post
Gonna watch Heroine tonight. Lets see how madhur scores this time.
Look forward to your review. A close friend of mine who has good taste of cinema saw Heroine today and he said it is quite average and dull (not the glamour one ).
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.- Martin Luther King, Jr.
Asus A53E Blu Ray i7 Notebook | Sony BDP S350 | Infocus IN82 Full HD DC3 DLP | Onkyo TX-SR 607 | Q Acoustics 1010i, 1000Ci, 1000Si
My Theater Gallery
Old 09-21-2012, 12:01 PM   #5

Nov 2009

Heroine.
Today bunch of critics were out. (you can see some from "reviewgang")
Every year Bollywood made huge-expectation, long-production period, colossal-letdown films.
"Kites" did, maybe in this time "Heroine" did.
Old 09-21-2012, 02:09 PM   #6

Sep 2011
Ny

Quote:
Originally Posted by raSpberRy View Post
Heroine.
Today bunch of critics were out. (you can see some from "reviewgang")
Every year Bollywood made huge-expectation, long-production period, colossal-letdown films.
"Kites" did, maybe in this time "Heroine" did.
you saw heroine already?if ya then tell me how was it im dying to watch it
Old 09-21-2012, 03:10 PM   #7

Nov 2009

No, I can't
I'm not living in Bollywood releasing territory.
I'm just telling another's opinion.
Sorry.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:35 PM   #8

May 2010
Bangalore

Just came after watching Heroine. Whoa !! If there is better film that defines boredom, someone please tell me. I do not remember when was the last time i felt yawning so much in every single scene of a film. There is not a single dialogue in the film that even a 5 year old cannot predict beforehand. It wudnt be wrong to say that Madhur has totally lost it.

Now for a moment there, lets not be so rude to the film and think for a second what was the intention behind- hmm...ok the concept is somewhat like this:-

Two sides to a heroine's life:-

Personal side - an actress loves a co actor but he is not ready for commitment. After breaking up, when she falls for another guy who actually is genuinely ready for commitment, she is at another stage in career and not ready resulting in 2nd break up. First co-actor returns and tries to set things right but its too late for her to trust people any more. Basically a lousy love triangle.

Professional side - an actress needs a jerry maguire-ish assistant to utilise smart , professional yet political tactics to remain in stardom, but to be truly called an actress, she has to take the risk of doing an artsy film as well which may not get released at all due to no commercial value, when all hell breaks loose and competition stiffens, she utilized the final weapon of self degradation just so that her name is alive.

Now if we think from Madhur's perspective on paper, mixing the above sides in a coherent screenplay is a good idea and has potential to be an entertaining film but what Madhur fails to realise is that u cannot convey these aspects in a preachy manner. Since we have seen women exploitation a zillion times on screen, including in his own films like fashion, we the audience do not care any more for 'what' is going to happen. As an audience, what we least expect is a fast paced, perhaps non conventional style in story telling so that we realise the urgency of situation that leads her to do wht she does. Instead we are expected to tolerate madhur's trademark lousy page 3 parties where stuff happens at snail's pace and we are supposed to care for an actress who is giving just one helpless , clueless experession for 90% of film's length. Doesnt help. Fails to connect with audience of any kind at any level and goes south right from frame one. Avoid at all costs.

For those who are wondering if this is another 'dirty picture', then not so much. This is not a story of how a girl became a famous actress. It begins after a girl has made a stand as a star and the film is all about what all she does to keep up with the growing competition without going into b-grade films. I donno if this qualifies as a spoiler but for those who are wondering, this actress does not die in the end.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:16 PM   #9
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2010
India

^haha.
It's a problem I've had with all of the maha-overrated Madhur Bhandarkar's movies including the fairly decent Chandni Bar. Once you know the title you can save your money on the movie because it'll be the most obvious and pedestrian take on that profession/lifestyle. That man knows nothing of writing a good screenplay with interesting characters, and it amuses me that people I know who refused to see the so-called parallel cinema movies saying "who wants to see more real life in a movie?" flock to this guy's movies and praise their "realism". Snort.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:43 PM   #10

Sep 2011
Ny

anurag1700 can you tell me how long heroine was? cuz if its just 2 hours then i might skip it!and i checked this movie got mixed reviews so i ll just go by my own review after i watch it lol
Old 09-22-2012, 12:49 AM   #11

May 2010
Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantedTM View Post
anurag1700 can you tell me how long heroine was? cuz if its just 2 hours then i might skip it!and i checked this movie got mixed reviews so i ll just go by my own review after i watch it lol
The film is 2 hrs 30 mins + but trust me the pace of this particular film will make it feel like 6 hrs 30 mins.

Though Barfi had editing issues, the whole ambience was so mindblowing that I m sure I wud have tolerated that film had it got extended by another additional hour. But this one was excruciatingly painful to sit through.
Old 09-22-2012, 01:14 AM   #12

Sep 2011
Ny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anurag1700 View Post
The film is 2 hrs 30 mins + but trust me the pace of this particular film will make it feel like 6 hrs 30 mins.

Though Barfi had editing issues, the whole ambience was so mindblowing that I m sure I wud have tolerated that film had it got extended by another additional hour. But this one was excruciatingly painful to sit through.
thanks for letting me know bro,and yea i ve noticed the movie is getting negative response more than positive im totally shocked i thought this movie was going to be a 100 cr grosser of the year and that it'll be 1 of the best movies ever made in bollywood but im surprized o well i ll watch it next week in the theater i hope i ll like it cuz a lot of times a film which was a flop i ended up liking it lol plus it has my favourite actrees which i totally love kareena in it so i ll probably just enjoy watching her on screen speacialy in the halkat jawani song
Old 09-22-2012, 09:42 PM   #13
Expert Member

Mar 2008

Barfi! - TWO THUMBS UP!

The last 'bollywood' movie I enjoyed as much, or more, was 'Ishqiya'. The reason for mentioning 'Ishqiya' is that, it too was a rare bollywood movie that was hard to fault in any aspect of film making. Having said that, I must say that Barfi! is not faultless. But, it is a well scripted, well directed and very well acted movie. It is also technically very good, with some excellent cinematography and sound design/mixing. A special mention must also be made of the music in the movie. Both the background score and the songs are very good. For a change, unlike the usual bollywood movie, the songs in the movie actually help move the story along. Where the movie lacks, is in it's editing. The movie seems to drag a wee bit before the interval and could do with some tighter editing to help with the pace.

With each subsequent movie so far, Ranbir Kapoor has proven himself to be not only an excellent actor, but also one who is not afraid to take on roles that are not only challenging, but that are very different from the one's played by the other "bollywood stars". There has already been a lot of praise for Ranbir's performance from the critics and the public, therefore I will simply state that I concur with their opinion. What I would like to do is bring attention to Ileana D'Cruz, who has played her part brilliantly and I think she not only compliments Ranbir's performance, but also helps his performance to be as good as it is. Priyanka's performance is seemingly adequate. Quite honestly, since I am not very well versed with autism, I am not in a position to judge how accurate her portrayal is. Special praise must also be made of Saurabh Shukla, who plays the part of the bumbling, yet conscientious policeman perfectly. It is the performance of the supporting cast, as much as the main leads, that makes Barfi! believable.

All in all, Barfi! is good, clean, 'family' entertainment and I would recommend it to all, without reservations. Highly Recommended and an enthusiastic Two Thumbs Up.

Last edited by sanjay0864; 09-23-2012 at 10:42 AM.
Old 09-23-2012, 02:42 AM   #14
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2010
India

Saw Dredd at the cinema last evening.
It does what it aims for, being a fast paced violent movie that's engaging enough while you're watching it. The plot is very similar to The Raid - here two judges, Dredd and a psychic rookie judge, are trapped in a building complex where a drug lord wants them dead. Karl Urban (Doom, Star Trek) doesn't have much range in his role, but he does what's expected of him. Apart from some visuals of slow-motion blood spilling, the 3D is not used to massive effect, so I suggest you may try seeing it in 2D which may be cheaper and where the fast action does not strain your eyes.

Last edited by ravenus; 09-23-2012 at 02:48 AM.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:31 AM   #15
Power Member

Jan 2010
India

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjay0864 View Post
Barfi! - TWO THUMBS UP!

The last 'bollywood' movie I enjoyed as much, or more, was 'Ishqiya'. The reason for mentioning 'Ishqiya' is that, it too was a rare bollywood movie that was hard to fault in any aspect of film making. Having said that, I must say that Barfi! is not faultless. But, it is a well scripted, well directed and very well acted movie. It is also technically very good, with some excellent cinematography and sound design/mixing. A special mention must also be made of the music in the movie. Both the background score and the songs are very good. For a change, unlike the usual bollywood movie, the songs in the movie actually help move the story along. Where the movie lacks, is in it's editing. The movie seems to drag a wee bit before the interval and could do with some tighter editing
to help with the pace.

With each subsequent movie so far, Ranbir Kapoor has proven himself to be not only an excellent actor, but also one who is not afraid to take on roles that are not only challenging, but that are very different from the one's played by the other "bollywood stars". There has already been a lot of praise for Ranbir's performance from the critics and the public, therefore I will simply state that I concur with their opinion. What I would like to do is bring attention to Ileana D'Cruz, who has played her part brilliantly and I think she not only compliments Ranbir's performance, but also helps his performance to be as good as it is. Priyanka's performance is seemingly adequate. Quite honestly, since I am not very well versed with autism, I am not in a position to judge how accurate her portrayal is. Special praise must also be made of Saurabh Shukla, who plays the part of the bumbling, yet conscientious policeman perfectly. It is the performance of the supporting cast, as much as the main leads, that makes Barfi! believable.

All in all, Barfi! is good, clean, 'family' entertainment and I would recommend it to all, without reservations. Highly Recommended and an enthusiastic Two Thumbs Up.
Finally a movie that i agree word by word of your review! Barfi IMO is one of the finest Indian movies and another gem for RANBIR.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:53 PM   #16

Jun 2012
Bangalore, India
India/Bollywood OMG Oh My God! - Excellent 4/5

Saw OMG today, I have to say I went in expecting another chessy Akshay Kumar flick, so the bar was not that high to begin with but was totally surprised by the movie. Also the movie is not about Akshay, its Paresh Rawal who does all the heavy lifting and he has performed brilliantly.

The movie was quite well paced and there were only 2 songs which go well with the story line(I hate forced songs no matter how good they are). The movie handles a very serious topic in India with so much fun. The movie doesn't seem to lose the sense of comedy throughout. All the jokes and one liners are refreshing.

More movies like this and I might finally start watching more hindi movies .
Old 10-02-2012, 07:06 AM   #17

May 2010

I saw the Telugu film Rebel yesterday. It is uneven, with the well-trodden revenge story, weak romantic track, and mediocre songs, but the fights are particularly fun.

Re: OMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankcse10 View Post
More movies like this and I might finally start watching more hindi movies .
Bollywood should adapt more Gujarati plays instead of South Indian movies

Last edited by Dragun; 10-02-2012 at 07:12 AM.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:29 AM   #18
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2010
India

A couple weeks back I'd seen Kishan v/s Kanhaiya, the Hindi stage adaptation of the play on which OMG is based, so I don't have to deal with Akshay Kumar and the other commercial compromises a film version would have. It was quite funny in parts and great acting from Paresh Rawal. Of course, it's a very shallow take on the subject of religious belief, making some very obvious heroes and villains so as to avoid any controversy. Still, it's at least a start to have a movie that raises some questions about the monstrosity that is organized mob religion.

Last edited by ravenus; 10-02-2012 at 10:53 AM.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:46 AM   #19

Nov 2009
Default Taken 2

My Verdict *1/2
Finally, I hate Oliver Megatone
Some people said this one is worse than "The Bourne Legacy"
Old 10-02-2012, 06:41 PM   #20

Jul 2011
Default Movies watched

The dark knight rises Blockbuster of the year (4.5/5stars) was the last movie i watched in Eng
But in Hindi I saw
Raaz 3D (very good 3D effects + background music combined with average story & above average acting but its fast & very enjoyable) = 3.5/5 stars

Barfi (simply magnificent) = 4/5 stars

Heroine (Total disappointment this movie only drops ahead u simply wait when will it pickup & movie ends dumb & dead ) = 2 star

OMG = going to watch tom hope this will be good

Will watch resident evil 5 on upcoming weekend

Cheers
my setup
Samsung 40 D6600 3D TV + Samsung D450 Soundbar + Videocon D2H HD

My Gaming PC
i5 3550 upto 3.7ghz + Asus Z77 M Pro + Corsair 4GB x 2 1600mhz ram + 1 TB Seagate 7200.12 HDD + Corsair Carbide 400R + Corsair HX650 PSU + Dell ST220l monitor + Logitech MK 320 wireless combo + Microsoft HD 3000 + WD My book 1 TB + Essential 2 TB + Asus BD ROM BC-12B1ST
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > India