Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, Cheap Blu-ray Movies!
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Cat in the Brain (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Thing (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Star Trek: The Complete Original Series (Blu-ray)
$52.26
The Boy and the Beast (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Bill & Ted's Most Excellent Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Everybody Wants Some!! (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Star Trek Into Darkness 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96
Now You See Me 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Krampus (Blu-ray)
$11.99
Valley of the Dolls (Blu-ray)
$27.99
Cat People (Blu-ray)
$27.99
God's Not Dead 2 (Blu-ray)
$17.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > India

Old 04-15-2016, 12:00 PM   #1

Dec 2014
Wink FAN (2016) Blu-Ray from YRF

4 reasons for creating this thread so early!

1- I wanted no one else to create FAN BRD thread and ruin it (some SRK fan or hater).

2- With Bollywood's incredible history of royally f'ing up every "thriller".
FAN (from the initial reviews) looks like it is one-of-the-best, original film noir type going-for-broke "thrillers" since JOHNNY GADDAAR (2007) days.

3- Will the ground breaking VFX, SFX, CGI realistically used in FAN become a showcase for Bollywood's premier production house YRF to launch FAN in 4K UHD HDR DOLBY VISION and DOLBY ATMOS as FAN has the most international appeal worldwide thanks to SRK fan following?

4- Will the western MNCs executives of Dolby Vision, HDR, 4K and other Hollywood state-of-the-art innovators eye India's massive potential after watching FAN in theatres (FAN realistically used CGI, VFX to create a real antagonist)?

Post all the developments and rumors here until FAN (2016) BRD releases.........& beyond.

Last edited by Hindustani; 04-15-2016 at 03:29 PM.
Old 04-15-2016, 04:56 PM   #2
Expert Member

May 2010
Bangalore

^ Dont tell me u didnt watch it yet. Of all the people here i was hoping your reaction would turn up at 12 pm ... assuming the first ever shows began as early as 8 am (at least in b'lore)
Old 04-15-2016, 05:23 PM   #3

Dec 2012

Heard that 1st half is very good, while 2nd half gets cliché and predictable...
Old 04-15-2016, 06:36 PM   #4

Dec 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anurag1700 View Post
^ Dont tell me u didnt watch it yet. Of all the people here i was hoping your reaction would turn up at 12 pm ... assuming the first ever shows began as early as 8 am (at least in b'lore)
Nope.

Do remember. I am neither an SRK-fan or anti-SRK brigade which seem to be quite popular these days. I am a bollywood fan & audiophile. "Thriller" is my genre. Suspense? Action? film-noir? you name it. Love'em all. Its easy for me to invest in PHANTOM, JOHNNY G, SPECIAL 26, KAHAANI, DARR brds etc etc and not BAJIRAO MASTANI despite Dolby Atmos.

I'm in no rush out here in North Jersey. Let the crowd clear out til Monday. It FAN is truly what they the critics are saying, it deserves to be seen & heard in Atmos. I'll have to check where its playing in 4K projectors in Atmos. May have to go into Manhattan, NYC.

SRKs performance is steller to say the least looks like. Atleast, & 1/2 star means its better than DARR and in the vicinity of KAHAANI.

I consider SRK to be the best actor of his generation by a distance. He is the only actor who can act with his body, facial expressions and eyes all in sync. There is no true replacement of him in bollywood unfortunately. The way he wasted his talent past 5 yrs was outrageous and disguisting just to earn big bucks at BO. Nice to see him return to his real roots.

Last edited by Hindustani; 04-15-2016 at 06:41 PM.
Old 04-15-2016, 06:39 PM   #5

Dec 2014
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by afgmusix View Post
Heard that 1st half is very good, while 2nd half gets cliché and predictable...
India do not have real critics. They rate masala, drama, melodrama and thriller the same way.

If indian critics are saying 2nd half is predictable and cliche, than its the opposite for sure.

The whole movie looks like a go-for-broke chase to the finish line to me from the trailer itself, there is no real 2 halves despite intermission, its all a one 2 hrs movie.

Dont believe them.
Old 04-15-2016, 06:59 PM   #6

Jan 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hindustani View Post
4 reasons for creating this thread so early!

1- I wanted no one else to create FAN BRD thread and ruin it (some SRK fan or hater).
Nothing to stop a fan or hater to create another one-

2- With Bollywood's incredible history of royally f'ing up every "thriller". Agreed - I don't know of a single Bollywood thriller that truly delivered the thrills......although the 2003 movie "Samay" surprised the heck outa me - despite not being an original idea - very well done "thriller" by Bollywood standards. I'm sure 99% of the people have never even heard about this one-
FAN (from the initial reviews) looks like it is one-of-the-best, original film noir type going-for-broke "thrillers" since JOHNNY GADDAAR (2007) days. Sounds like it - I truly would like to see Bollywood rise above mediocrity after all these decades of mostly cookie-cutter movie plots.

3- Will the ground breaking VFX, SFX, CGI realistically used in FAN become a showcase for Bollywood's premier production house YRF to launch FAN in 4K UHD HDR DOLBY VISION and DOLBY ATMOS as FAN has the most international appeal worldwide thanks to SRK fan following? Hope this happens - I was rewatching Dilwale BRD songs yesterday and was disappointed by the flesh tones, etc. - we can't even seem to make a proper HD bluray. I've ordered the Kaleidescape Strato along with Lumagen Radiance Pro to watch 4K movies which are direct copies of masters from the Hollywood studios themselves - I hope one day, Indian movies (4K Masters) make it onto Kaleidescape. And am actually having a Lumagen expert fly in from Chicago to Houston just to calibrate my PJ & the Radiance Pro

4- Will the western MNCs executives of Dolby Vision, HDR, 4K and other Hollywood state-of-the-art innovators eye India's massive potential after watching FAN in theatres (FAN realistically used CGI, VFX to create a real antagonist)? One of the founders at Kaleidescape, I thought, is a desi guy - will try to find his contact info. and write to him. He'll probably know if there are any in-roads into any of this.

Post all the developments and rumors here until FAN (2016) BRD releases.........& beyond.
We at least know REM will likely have a release for this.
Old 04-15-2016, 07:07 PM   #7

Dec 2014
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs3771 View Post
We at least know REM will likely have a release for this.
Here is a huge dilemma with FAN brd now.

REM will only have their usual 5.1 DTS HD MA German & Hindi.

YRF will atleast have 5.1 Dolby TruHD advance 96k Upsampling which has been their staple now.

FAN OST is mixed in "object based sound" Dolby Atmos.

It is so important that FAN becomes a massive Block Buster for YRF to think of going ETT way (launched truehd 96K with ETT BD) for them to introduce "Dolby Atmos" or "DTS:X" with FAN brd.

How, I really hate FAN is not a RELIANCE release.

2 hrs go-for-broke thriller requires "object based sound" as their are many moving objects in each scene.
Old 04-15-2016, 08:11 PM   #8

Sep 2015

The reviews seem to be pouring in very positive. Not the brainless entertainer type movie SRK has been doing for some time now. My friend just saw it and said its a Deep rooted film that will stir up lots of debate.

Minor Spoiler

He was saying that some have theories that a lot of the extent of confrontation between the star and fan was exaggerated in the fans mind. that is what we are shown. I love stuff like this in movies.

but more than praising the movie he went on about Khan's performance. Says its his best since Dil Se
Old 04-15-2016, 08:38 PM   #9

Mar 2010

Heard good things about this - Anupama Chopra said this is SRK's best performance since Chak De India. Looking forward to catching this........after Jungle Book though :-)
Old 04-15-2016, 09:04 PM   #10

Dec 2014
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeNeedsMovies View Post
The reviews seem to be pouring in very positive. Not the brainless entertainer type movie SRK has been doing for some time now. My friend just saw it and said its a Deep rooted film that will stir up lots of debate.

Minor Spoiler

He was saying that some have theories that a lot of the extent of confrontation between the star and fan was exaggerated in the fans mind. that is what we are shown. I love stuff like this in movies.

but more than praising the movie he went on about Khan's performance. Says its his best since Dil Se
Now that you mentioned this......

There is this rediff reviewer called Raja Sen. A staunch cynical critic that hates 99% bollywood for good and bad reasons.

Gave GOW I: &1/2 out of
Gave GOW II: &1/2 out of
just to give you guys an idea about his mindset

He just gave FAN & 1/2 out of , highest rating FAN got so far from any critic and he is a regular SRK basher!

This is the most insightful review I have read so far and I must admit this guy is not dumb like 99% of Indian fake critics talk about "1st, 2nd..4th half" is boring, predictable & stuff.

Quote:
Yet, behind the thriller-movie makeup it wears, there is so much more to Fan, a film that should be hailed for its satirical sharpness and for its subtle subversion. And it deserves to be celebrated for the way it allows the world’s biggest movie star to cleverly lampoon his own absurdly, inevitably inflated legend.
Quote:
Conceptually, the basic idea propelling the narrative of Maneesh Sharma’s Fan appears deceptively simple -- that of an obsessive fan, a bit of a cross between Misery and The King Of Comedy -- and, judged from the surface, this film works like a slickly efficient Darr homage.
Hmmm......interesting stuff.

Last edited by Hindustani; 04-15-2016 at 09:19 PM.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:49 PM   #11

Sep 2015

Wow that is a good review.. I'm seeing it tomorrow. Will post a mini review.
Old 04-16-2016, 12:51 AM   #12

Oct 2009

Quote:
Now that you mentioned this......

There is this rediff reviewer called Raja Sen. A staunch cynical critic that hates 99% bollywood for good and bad reasons.

He just gave FAN & 1/2 out of , highest rating FAN got so far from any critic and he is a regular SRK basher!
Sorry to burst your bubble but I am afraid he is completely 'sold' errr..'bought' !
Old 04-16-2016, 01:43 AM   #13

Dec 2012

It was hard being an SRK fan for the last 9 years, i agree with Anupama! Really hope he does better films. Raees looks promising and I don't have any doubt about Imtiaz Ali and Anand L. Rai projects being good too..
Old 04-16-2016, 01:44 AM   #14

Dec 2014
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaemonAngel View Post
Sorry to burst your bubble but I am afraid he is completely 'sold' errr..'bought' !
Oh believe me! who isn't up for auction if the "boli" in $$ is correct.

I had to rub my eyes 3 times to make sure it is indeed Mr. Sen's fanboy inside him who gave BUDDHAA....HOGA TERA BAAP out of .
Old 04-16-2016, 02:56 AM   #15
Special Member

Apr 2009
Garland, TX

Sen is a friend of mine and a hard ass. I doubt he's bought. I didn't like it nearly as much as he did
TV - Panasonic TC-P50U50 | Blu-ray - Region Free Sony BDP-S3200 | Receiver - Onkyo TX-SR607 | Fronts - Infinity P363 Towers | Center - Infinity PC251 | Surrounds - Technics Towers| Sub - BIC America V1220
Old 04-16-2016, 02:57 AM   #16
Special Member

Apr 2009
Garland, TX

The film is much more interesting to think about than it is to watch.
TV - Panasonic TC-P50U50 | Blu-ray - Region Free Sony BDP-S3200 | Receiver - Onkyo TX-SR607 | Fronts - Infinity P363 Towers | Center - Infinity PC251 | Surrounds - Technics Towers| Sub - BIC America V1220
Old 04-16-2016, 12:09 PM   #17

Dec 2012

Just watched it... 8/10 for me! SRK is finally "acting" again!

Last edited by afgmusix; 04-16-2016 at 02:23 PM.
Old 04-16-2016, 02:47 PM   #18
Expert Member

May 2010
Bangalore

Quote:
It FAN is truly what they the critics are saying, it deserves to be seen & heard in Atmos.
I appreciate your passion for atmos. But I didnt quite get the connection there. No matter what the critics say, how does it really make any film any deserving to be seen & heard in atmos ? Why I ask this is because as far as I have read, rarely any, especially indian movie critic talks about the sound design of any film, let alone sound mix or surround mix. At the most they care about the background score but no further.

I can understand that whatever is the original way the film is encoded, if possible, any film should be ideally heard the same way at home or in cinemas (stereo/surround/dolby/dts/atmos) but u didnt exactly say that. So I am just curious how do you make that connection that if a film is being universally praised it deserves specifically atmos ?
Old 04-16-2016, 05:03 PM   #19

Dec 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anurag1700 View Post
I appreciate your passion for atmos. But I didnt quite get the connection there. No matter what the critics say, how does it really make any film any deserving to be seen & heard in atmos ? Why I ask this is because as far as I have read, rarely any, especially indian movie critic talks about the sound design of any film, let alone sound mix or surround mix. At the most they care about the background score but no further.

I can understand that whatever is the original way the film is encoded, if possible, any film should be ideally heard the same way at home or in cinemas (stereo/surround/dolby/dts/atmos) but u didnt exactly say that. So I am just curious how do you make that connection that if a film is being universally praised it deserves specifically atmos ?
Anurag1700

If you dont believe me "atmos" makes a difference. Please pick up MADRAS CAFE BR by SHEMAROO asap. Its sound will still be downgraded to 7.1 TruHD 96k upsampled. This BRD OST is the most lively, bombastic, aggressive and detailed OST I've ever heard for a political thriller that is non-hollywood. & I never saw MADRAS CAFE in "atmos." than watch some other 5.1 DTS HD MA immediately on same HT setup. You'll instantly recognize the difference even if you are not an audiophile.

FAN's stunt director is Korean. FAN sfx, vfx, cgi assistant director is from hollywood. I'm sure Maneesh and team got strong coaching in getting the sound design right if this is to work perfectly in tandam.

I cannot believe you think these "pseudo" critics of India are at the level of Ebert, NYT critics, Washington times, British critics circle etc etc.

They have no idea what sound effects are, sound design is, sound engineering is, sound mixing and remixing is. A reason why whoever interviews SRK be it Rajiv Masand or Faridon or desi newpapers, they cannot even "think" of a technical question to ask on sfx, vfx, cgi, Maneesh in italy for background score, let alone 'ask' one.

The advant of the so caled 'masala' cinema is the culmination of their frustration as how bollywood is stuck in Junior College forever while hollywood regularly releases ground breaking 'thesis' for their PhD papers!

They have no clue besides dividing movie in "1st half" and "2nd half" and how these two movies are different thanks to "intermission."

Notice how the "1st half" is always decent or good and "2nd half" always drags, need to be tighter, better edited in every pseudo-review of good film too!

A reason why HEAT, COLLATERAL, TDK, DKR, CAPTAIN AMERICA WINTER SOLDIER like terrific fictional masterpieces can never ever be even attempted in India ever.

Last edited by Hindustani; 04-16-2016 at 05:12 PM.
Thanks given by:
Anurag1700 (04-16-2016)
Old 04-17-2016, 02:25 AM   #20

Sep 2015

Got a chance to watch this tonight.

I'll be honest for a long time, SRK started seeming like this guy who survived by his history of work. Fans don't hate me. But He just had nothing to offer anymore. But tonight, I will no longer be able to say that. Welcome Back Khan Saab. Where were you?

So in a nut shell, I enjoyed the hell out of this movie. The dialogues, cinematography, background music, supporting cast and its tight screenplay.

SRK delivers one of his careers best. Theres this one scene near the end **Minor Spoiler** Where he imitates the Fan. I just thought to myself, Wow. He's acting like another character in the film which he infact plays.

This is a Blu Ray forum. So YES, I will be buying this on blu ray. I definitely feel it will look visually great on BD. Has repeat value.

If you haven't seen it, I definitely recommend going.

4/5
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > India