Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Last Starfighter (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Spectacular Spider-Man: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$24.99
My Big Fat Greek Wedding (Blu-ray)
$6.98
Beyond Outrage (Blu-ray)
$12.96
Slap Shot (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Devil's Due (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Here Comes the Devil (Blu-ray)
$14.96
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
High School of the Dead OVA: Drifters of the Dead (Blu-ray)
$4.99
High Plains Drifter (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Planet Earth (Blu-ray)
$45.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > India

Old 04-21-2014, 02:52 AM   #1
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2009
Hong Kong
Default India's "profit-loss" Blu-ray situation

It seems that Indian video companies actually do lose money making Blu-rays. Instead of releasing a Blu-ray for every crummy movie, why don't they just release Blu-rays for ones that generally receive excellent reviews, blockbusters, and/or action/fantasy flicks? Many dramas, comedies, flops or generic films can be appreciated just fine on dvd but the big ones (like Dhoom 3) or excellent ones (Barfi) are the types that need Bluray releases.

It also seems out of the question to release Indian classics on Bluray. It seems that releasing movies such as Sholay or Devdas would actually be a profit loss.

Last edited by toddly6666; 04-21-2014 at 03:07 AM.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:23 PM   #2

Apr 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddly6666 View Post
It seems that Indian video companies actually do lose money making Blu-rays. Instead of releasing a Blu-ray for every crummy movie, why don't they just release Blu-rays for ones that generally receive excellent reviews, blockbusters, and/or action/fantasy flicks? Many dramas, comedies, flops or generic films can be appreciated just fine on dvd but the big ones (like Dhoom 3) or excellent ones (Barfi) are the types that need Bluray releases.

It also seems out of the question to release Indian classics on Bluray. It seems that releasing movies such as Sholay or Devdas would actually be a profit loss.
They should release 500 movies in one blu ray @ INR 99/- on a Buy 1 get 3 free scheme. This alone will increase the sale of Blu ray players. For keeping costs in check, they can upscale VHS prints to 1080p. Simple.

Upcoming movies shall include Kanti Shah's Gunda and Harami Kela by Karan Johar.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:30 PM   #3

Feb 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstar1630 View Post
They should release 500 movies in one blu ray @ INR 99/- on a Buy 1 get 3 free scheme. This alone will increase the sale of Blu ray players. For keeping costs in check, they can upscale VHS prints to 1080p. Simple.

Upcoming movies shall include Kanti Shah's Gunda and Harami Kela by Karan Johar.
Lol. All jokes aside, that may be the only plan that works for the Indian audience.
Old 04-22-2014, 01:10 AM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2010
India

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstar1630 View Post
Upcoming movies shall include Kanti Shah's Gunda
Sign me up for a Criterion/Arrow style package of this cult classic, and I'm not joking here.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:53 AM   #5

May 2010
Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenus View Post
Sign me up for a Criterion/Arrow style package of this cult classic, and I'm not joking here.
Found this on you tube. Just another angle on this film here. Some might enjoy.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:13 PM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2007
Barking, Essex, United Kingdom

1. People's attitude towards buying should change. Some prefer watching on cable. Some are content with the pirated versions. Of course it is difficult to change this perception but we want some people to go the extra mile and buy the best version. In India some could translate to a million considering our population.

2. Studio's / Filmmaker's attitude towards home video should change. I heard that our film makers have the worst attitude and doesn't invest quality time in content preparation when acclaimed filmmakers in Hollywood can do so.

Without the above nothing much is going to change.

Last edited by lgans316; 04-22-2014 at 05:27 PM.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:15 PM   #7

Jan 2012

My thoughts...

In India, >99% people watch movies on their 32-46 inch tvs and investing >600 rs+ (some movies I have seen 1000rs+) on blu ray may not make sense to them. roughly 50 blu rays equal to tv cost. Indian movies are not like english movies where blu-ray will give most quality to the buyers. Indian movies are mostly dialogue based. dvds cost 100-200 and it would be suffice to most of them

on top of that piracy is another reason...you will get brand new release movie dvd within a week. During holidays, they can watch new releases on channels.

I really wish to get old classics on blu ray but I dont have any hopes. Forget blu-rays, most of the films that I want are not even available with decent quality in dvd version.
Thanks!

Please DO NOT ask for Paypal Family and Friends. It is against forum rules.

Transactions are not to be conducted as gift because they are NOT gifts...period. If you want the buyer to cover the fees then include them in the price. That is it...if you are not satisfied then please sell your codes somewhere else. Thank you. - BluTitan (Moderator)
Old 04-22-2014, 05:54 PM   #8

Jan 2014

I wish there were more Hindi titles available on Vudu. Vudu currently has 3-Idiots (HDX) for $14.99. May be start an Indian version of Vudu at reasonable rates.
Always looking for UV/Vudu/iTunes codes <= $1
Old Yesterday, 03:58 AM   #9

Feb 2013
Chandigarh, India

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenus View Post
Yeah, I remember. The whole movie has Sher-o-Shayari kind of dialogues and sometimes very funny
We friends had lot of fun while watching this movie
Few Blu-rays available FOR TRADE, Contact if you are interested in these titles.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > India