Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Revolutionary Girl Utena: Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$128.59
George A. Romero: Between Night and Dawn (Blu-ray)
$62.89
Silicon Valley: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Once Upon a Time: The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray)
$52.42
Kong: Skull Island (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Atomic Blonde 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.75
Wonder Woman 3D (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Close Encounters of the Third Kind 4K (Blu-ray)
$48.59
Ash vs Evil Dead: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$25.99
Friday Night Lights: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$56.44
E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial 4K (Blu-ray)
$23.40
E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.29
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > India

Old 08-29-2012, 03:11 PM   #1

Jun 2012
above the earth...below the sky
India/Bollywood Indian customs

Hey Guys

this is specifically for the people importing the blu-rays.

Has anybody been able to work out the customs calculations?

Sometimes i get the blu-rays delivered without any customs duty and sometimes its a shocker.

I just received my copy of immortals 3d. had ordered it since it was going cheap for 5.99GBP.

Surprisingly the postman hands me a customs receipt of Rs. 634/-

Has any one come across such a situation.
Old 08-29-2012, 03:49 PM   #2

Oct 2011
india

well for 10.25 or nearby pounds i have been charged 140 to 170 rs 17 to 20%

and for 21 or nearby pound i have been charged 816 rs its 42%

so i have all my parcels send as single item coz customs will loot me like hell.

as per customs rules it should be 28.62 for blu ray dvd or music cd or games

for books its free
My Setup
Lg 32LF20FR LCD l Pioneer HTP-071 5.1 600 Rms l Sony BDP S380 l Sony PS3 320GB l Philips DVP3568 RF. HTPC [ i3 -2100 Proccy ,Digilite H61 Mobo ,Corsair 2 x 4GB DDR3 1333hz Ram,HD Radeon 7850 2GB GDDR5 , Asus BW-12B1ST Burner , Vip 600 Watts PSU]
Old 08-29-2012, 04:21 PM   #3

Jun 2011

the customs are charging 42% for above 20 pounds(a friend found out)
and below that 28%.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:01 PM   #4
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007
Barking, Essex, United Kingdom

What a rip off.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:07 PM   #5

Jun 2011

yes complete ripoff!!

now i only buy which i really really need...it just gets expensive.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:06 PM   #6

Jul 2012
London, Manor Park, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveblu View Post
Hey Guys

Sometimes i get the blu-rays delivered without any customs duty and sometimes its a shocker.

I just received my copy of immortals 3d. had ordered it since it was going cheap for 5.99GBP.

Hi gUYS

IT as simple as it is all of u guys buy from Amazon, Play.com, and other reputed websites and when they send the dvds and blu rays to u they declare the original value to u all and show as Purchase from Abroad.

hence customs are liable to charge u the amount they want.

Had they send the same stuff u ordered as gifts and with a value of say 10$ -50$ and said for personnel use with no commercial Value there would have been no problem.

This is the problem with buying with bigger websites like HMV, Amazon, Ebay and all others.

Try buying from some one and ask him to send it as gifts and see the difference nothing will be charged.

PM me and i will help u all
Old 07-15-2013, 11:10 AM   #7

Jul 2012
India

Bumping an old thread.

Anyone familiar with Tracking status "Retention reason : Awaiting proof of purchase/value from addressee" ?

What should be done in this case ?

Further info
- 1 of my parcel from Korea has been retained by customs at "Mumbai EMS" , and current status for it is above.
- Item has invoice in it with all details 100% accurate. Form CN23, invoice etc. It was sent by a regular retailer who has sent many parcels to me in past.
- After researching online on this matter, I could find this : http://www.mumbaicustoms.gov.in/scripts/complaint.asp
And contacted on related number. The person at other end answered that item is stuck in customs (Which I know from tracking details), so you will need to contact them, and gave me another number.
- Dialing that number since morning and no reply. "Line Kharaab hai, Kripiya baad me prayaas karen" msg.

I had read on some other forum that, they will send a letter asking for proof of purchase as well as invoice. But IMO, if that's gonna happen, than, that should definitely take some 1-2 weeks.
Has anyone come across such situation?

Last edited by crossbow; 07-15-2013 at 11:20 AM.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:23 PM   #8

Jul 2007
Mumbai, India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossbow View Post
Bumping an old thread.

Anyone familiar with Tracking status "Retention reason : Awaiting proof of purchase/value from addressee" ?

What should be done in this case ?

Further info
- 1 of my parcel from Korea has been retained by customs at "Mumbai EMS" , and current status for it is above.
- Item has invoice in it with all details 100% accurate. Form CN23, invoice etc. It was sent by a regular retailer who has sent many parcels to me in past.
- After researching online on this matter, I could find this : http://www.mumbaicustoms.gov.in/scripts/complaint.asp
And contacted on related number. The person at other end answered that item is stuck in customs (Which I know from tracking details), so you will need to contact them, and gave me another number.
- Dialing that number since morning and no reply. "Line Kharaab hai, Kripiya baad me prayaas karen" msg.

I had read on some other forum that, they will send a letter asking for proof of purchase as well as invoice. But IMO, if that's gonna happen, than, that should definitely take some 1-2 weeks.
Has anyone come across such situation?
Yeah that number (022-22653621) is bad. You will have to keep trying sometimes all day. Best way is to call then go there yourself with any documents and your proofs. There with a little flattering and persistence you can get it cleared easily (I have never had to pay bribes). So yeah if its of importance to you be ready to put some legwork behind it or it may take weeks or even be sent back/destroyed.

I am such a dunce I just saw you are from Hyderabad. Then calling is all you can do for now. But that guy who pics up is pretty helpful and will get it cleared fast once you call. Best of luck.

Last edited by nishant786; 07-15-2013 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Saw original posters location.
Thanks given by:
crossbow (12-25-2014)
Old 07-15-2013, 12:51 PM   #9

Jul 2012
India

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishant786 View Post
Yeah that number (022-22653621) is bad. You will have to keep trying sometimes all day. Best way is to call then go there yourself with any documents and your proofs. There with a little flattering and persistence you can get it cleared easily (I have never had to pay bribes). So yeah if its of importance to you be ready to put some legwork behind it or it may take weeks or even be sent back/destroyed.

I am such a dunce I just saw you are from Hyderabad. Then calling is all you can do for now. But that guy who pics up is pretty helpful and will get it cleared fast once you call. Best of luck.

Thanks Nishant.

Finally, my call went through. Indeed the customs guy was very helpful. But he asked to me get some DY number first. Which I would be able to know from postal inquiry.
Do not know what is DY number.

He gave me an email ID as well. So once I find out what is DY number related to my parcel, I just need to send them an email of invoice as well proof of purchase. And they will release the parcel.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:27 PM   #10

Jul 2007
Mumbai, India.

Quote:
Thanks Nishant.

Finally, my call went through. Indeed the customs guy was very helpful. But he asked to me get some DY number first. Which I would be able to know from postal inquiry.
Do not know what is DY number.

He gave me an email ID as well. So once I find out what is DY number related to my parcel, I just need to send them an email of invoice as well proof of purchase. And they will release the parcel.
That guy and his DY number. Why I am laughing is everytime I call this is what he says. But then he himself clears it within 7-8 days.

However following the procedure will help you faster.
Thanks given by:
crossbow (12-25-2014)
Old 07-15-2013, 01:40 PM   #11
Special Member

May 2010
Bangalore

Quote:
That guy and his DY number.
that also sounded like "that guy and his DIY number" which is so much double meaning
Old 07-15-2013, 03:23 PM   #12

Jul 2012
London, Manor Park, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveblu View Post
Hey Guys

Hi,

I am a Regular Sender to India for the last 8 yrs till date not even 1 Rupee has been paid by my Customers i have over 77 Customers based in India in Chennai , bangalore, Mumbai, Delhi, Jodhpur and other Cities .

The Problem is u all buy from Amazon or any Website Directly and when they send it they will declare the full Value and also Declare as Purchase with a Commercial Invoice and Customs are bound to Charge Duty.

I send it as Gifts for Personnel Use with no Commercial Value and i declare for Customs Purposes a value of 2-3 $ or 2-3 and it goes it thru safely.

For Bulk Shipments like 1 kg or 2kg i declare a value of 10 or 15$ and it goes thru as it is a Gift .

Hard to Believe but i sent a 3D Region Free Home Theatre System as Used to portBlair with a Value of Rs 250000 Original Value 1.2 Lacs the Customs Charged the buyer Rs 390.00 as Value.

So in all it depends how u send it and who sends it .
Old 07-15-2013, 04:38 PM   #13

Aug 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by subu View Post
Hi,

I am a Regular Sender to India for the last 8 yrs till date not even 1 Rupee has been paid by my Customers i have over 77 Customers based in India in Chennai , bangalore, Mumbai, Delhi, Jodhpur and other Cities .

The Problem is u all buy from Amazon or any Website Directly and when they send it they will declare the full Value and also Declare as Purchase with a Commercial Invoice and Customs are bound to Charge Duty.

I send it as Gifts for Personnel Use with no Commercial Value and i declare for Customs Purposes a value of 2-3 $ or 2-3 and it goes it thru safely.

For Bulk Shipments like 1 kg or 2kg i declare a value of 10 or 15$ and it goes thru as it is a Gift .

Hard to Believe but i sent a 3D Region Free Home Theatre System as Used to portBlair with a Value of Rs 250000 Original Value 1.2 Lacs the Customs Charged the buyer Rs 390.00 as Value.

So in all it depends how u send it and who sends it .
So how does people buy from you?
Could you provide details...if not possible here..just PM me.
Old 07-15-2013, 04:42 PM   #14

Feb 2013
india

with the indian customs it is 50%-50%.even when the seller quotes low value,u also need luck on ur side i guess.

i hope crossbow gets it by post soon or later.they will open the pack and check it at the max and u doesnt need to pay or at max rs 500
Old 07-16-2013, 06:44 AM   #15

Jul 2012
India

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetiger View Post
with the indian customs it is 50%-50%.even when the seller quotes low value,u also need luck on ur side i guess.

i hope crossbow gets it by post soon or later.they will open the pack and check it at the max and u doesnt need to pay or at max rs 500
I do not have any issue with customs opening my package, unless and until they keep the seals of my steelbooks intact, and handle them with care. I always have proper invoice in my package. And proper declaration as well with actual value.

The parcel which got stuck has 4 steelbooks, and value with shipping is ~10K. So IMO that could be the reason for retaining the parcel.

Before this, they opened 2 of my parcels, including seals. Luckily no damage was there to Steelbooks. Both were separate parcels and both had single-single SBs inside it. value for both, 1K respectively.
So yes, it's total luck and mood of customs officer.
My pirates CE did not go through customs inspection. But yes duty was charged accordingly.

Quote:
That guy and his DY number. Why I am laughing is everytime I call this is what he says. But then he himself clears it within 7-8 days.

However following the procedure will help you faster.
There is no "Thanks" or "rep" button here.

Thanks again Nishant.

Last edited by crossbow; 07-16-2013 at 06:51 AM.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:04 AM   #16

Jul 2012
India

Update

parcel was released by Mumbai customs within 4 days. This is the process, which I followed, Thanks to Nishant for some guidance.

- I directly contacted Mumbai customs on 022-26156063 first.
- The person who picked up the phone was very supportive. He asked about some DY(or BY) Number related to my parcel. Which I did not know. So He told me to first get DY(or BY) Number by contacting Mumbai post. And than, he told me to send (proof-of-purchase and/or) invoice copy to e-mail address apsoaccmumbai@yahoo.com
- I than contacted Post dept of Mumbai on 022-26156125 (Speed-post helpline Mumbai). My parcel was sent by EMS. There is one another number for registered parcel.
- They gave me DY(or BY) Number.
- I sent the email.
- After 2 days, I again contacted Mumbai customs on same number. He verified the invoice, took a print-out and told me that parcel will be released within today.
- Parcel got released next day, and was en-route to my address.
- Parcel contained items worth 10K. so duty was charged as well.

Hope, it's useful info for peeps who face similar situation.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:55 AM   #17
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2010
India

Quote:
Update

parcel was released by Mumbai customs within 4 days. This is the process, which I followed, Thanks to Nishant for some guidance.

- The person who picked up the phone was very supportive. He asked about some DY(or BY) Number related to my parcel. Which I did not know. So He told me to first get DY(or BY) Number by contacting Mumbai post. And than, he told me to send (proof-of-purchase and/or) invoice copy to e-mail address apsoaccmumbai@yahoo.com
- I than contacted Post dept of Mumbai on 022-26156125 (Speed-post helpline Mumbai). My parcel was sent by EMS. There is one another number for registered parcel.
- I sent the email.
- After 2 days, I again contacted Mumbai customs on same number. He verified the invoice, took a print-out and told me that parcel will be released within today.

Important posts like these should be stickied.
JVC DLA-x550 Projector | 140 Inch Matte White Screen | Polk 7.1.2 Atmos System: TSi 300, CS20, DSW500 sub, OWM5 rear heights| Marantz sr6011 receiver
OPPO UDP-203 | Sennheiser RS 175 Wireless Headphones
LG 55inch Passive 3D TV | Sony HTiB 5.1 | Apple TV 3 | Apple Airport Express |
Philips Hue mood lighting
Old 07-27-2013, 06:34 AM   #18

Jul 2007
Mumbai, India.

Quote:
Update

- I sent the email.

Bravo man. Seriously useful information! Even for people who have done this before the way your organised it is amazing. Thanks!
Old 07-29-2013, 06:25 AM   #19

Jul 2012
India

Thanks Srini and Nishant bro.

Also, one useful link on this subject : http://www.mumbaicustoms.gov.in/scripts/complaint.asp
Old 04-22-2015, 05:34 AM   #20
Special Member

Aug 2010
Kochi, KL, IN

No intention to "Necro-post", but sharing a genuine concern reg the Indian Customs' bipolar nature...

Got the "Interstellar" UK Digibook today to my relief... but then I saw the bill from customs on the backside of the envelope, and got ripped off of INR 635... Now, I had been charged customs duty before for "Game of Thrones S5" (at around INR 950), but then it had cost me approx INR 2600.
However, Interstellar cost 1700 (incl shipping, as I had ordered multiple titles) and it doesn't make sense to have customs duty charged for an item which costs below 2k. The envelope was not opened too, so it's not the recency of the film that factors into the customs charging duty.

maybe, the charging happens at random or, depending on the rush of the incoming packages, they may skip charging duty for lighter stuff like BDs... Anyways, I've decided to go for priority shipping whenever I'm ordering a special edition release from Amazon...

Last edited by kaykaysud; 04-22-2015 at 05:58 AM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > India