Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Alfred Hitchcock: The Masterpiece Collection (Blu-ray)
$98.99
How to Train Your Dragon 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Interstellar (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Fast & Furious 1-6 Collection (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Duck, You Sucker (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Thunderbirds: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$44.97
The Book of Life (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Three Stooges Collection - Volume One - Triple Feature (Blu-ray)
$7.79
Little House on the Prairie: Season Five (Blu-ray)
$17.89
Defiance: Season One (Blu-ray)
$12.99
The Tree of Life (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Whiplash (Blu-ray)
$14.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED
Old 07-26-2014, 02:43 AM   #1

Jan 2014
Mumbai ❤
Default Devdas (1955) Digitally restored?

I came across this upload by Shemaroo. This seems to be restored. What do you guys think?

I hope a Blu Ray release is on the cards...
"A little wacky! But if it works, it works."
Old 01-06-2015, 04:22 AM   #2

Dec 2014

It looks like a very good print.

It doesnt look "digitally restored or remastered."

The contrast is pretty bad. B & W 35 mm films depends heavily on contrast.
Old 01-06-2015, 06:43 AM   #3

Jan 2014
Mumbai ❤

The PQ looks free from dust and scratches. Contrast rendition does appear rather weak. And the audio is terrible! It sounds like its been processed again and again. But overall, its a better alternative to the horrid Shemaroo DVD.
Wish they could process these classics for a Blu ray transfer.

Last edited by HDDCS; 01-24-2015 at 12:54 AM.
Old 03-18-2015, 03:20 PM   #4

Jan 2014
Mumbai ❤

The movie is now available on Shemaroo's channel in Full HD. It doesn't have a PAL speedup unlike the previous upload by Shemaroo.

The trailer looks good but the audio quality is poor!
Old 03-18-2015, 06:03 PM   #5

Apr 2014

I have the Yash Raj version. It's not that bad. It seems to come from a clean print. Audio (fake 5 channels) is quite good. There is some hissing at many places but dialogs are clear. As usual, there are scratches and flashes at a few places. They might have done some processing on songs though. At least, there are no watermarks. Here are some screenshots:

Ds01.jpg

Ds02.jpg

Ds03.jpg

Ds04.jpg

Ds05.jpg
Thanks given by:
HDDCS (03-19-2015)
Old 03-19-2015, 02:59 AM   #6

Jan 2014
Mumbai ❤

The reason for the print being clean is that they had used an old VHS master which was copied about 10 years before the DVD was made. I appreciate that they went for a cleaner source. But again, this DVD wasn't appreciated by customers at that time. The previews/reviews on zulm.net totally said a big NO. In my experience, the audio isn't as bad as the video. Shemaroo's DVD version had slightly brighter picture, but it was sourced from a messy print. Audio was poorly done though.

Thanks for posting these screenshots! Much appreciated!

Movies on YRF DVDs, irrespective of the age, have got excellent treatments in the artwork and menu department. Love them! Just look at the covers of Kaagaz Ke Phool, Bandini, Kabuliwala, Naya Daur, Ram Teri Ganga Maili, etc.

In fact, I'm trying hard to find cover scans of YRF DVDs on the net.

Also, Shemaroo edition wasn't complete. The ending was edited and some scenes were replaced resulting in some scenes to be repeated. Very bad!
Old 03-19-2015, 10:51 AM   #7
Power Member

Jul 2009
Johannesburg - South Africa

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDDCS View Post
The reason for the print being clean is that they had used an old VHS master which was copied about 10 years before the DVD was made. I appreciate that they went for a cleaner source. But again, this DVD wasn't appreciated by customers at that time. The previews/reviews on zulm.net totally said a big NO. In my experience, the audio isn't as bad as the video. Shemaroo's DVD version had slightly brighter picture, but it was sourced from a messy print. Audio was poorly done though.

Thanks for posting these screenshots! Much appreciated!

Movies on YRF DVDs, irrespective of the age, have got excellent treatments in the artwork and menu department. Love them! Just look at the covers of Kaagaz Ke Phool, Bandini, Kabuliwala, Naya Daur, Ram Teri Ganga Maili, etc.

In fact, I'm trying hard to find cover scans of YRF DVDs on the net.

Also, Shemaroo edition wasn't complete. The ending was edited and some scenes were replaced resulting in some scenes to be repeated. Very bad!
I also dont like that they edit certain portions of the movie. It is clearly evident; why exactly would they do this? The biggest one for me was Mera Naam Joker. YRF made an excellent DVD of this movie with a running time of 224 minutes, while the Shemaroo version had a length of 182 minutes! Thats 42 minutes of the movie thrown out of the window at the discretion of some chopper, who probably wasnt interested in the first place. I was lucky to get the YRF version. However, that being said, the total runtime of the movie was listed at 256 minutes. So YRF has also some explaining to do. I wish, so wish that someone was interested enough to get a Blu Ray done of MNJ.

I have the Shemaroo disc of Devdas as well. While the PQ is brighter, like you said, it was a messy print.
LG 42" LW6510 3D TV | Onkyo TX-NR 609 (7.2 Setup) |
Sony PS4 - 500 GB (Region B) | Sony PS3 - 250 GB (Region B) | Sony PS3 - 250 GB (Region A)|
Oppo BD-103 | HP Envy M6 |
Polk Audio CSi A6 | Polk Audio Tsi 500's | Polk Audio Tsi 100's | Wharfedale Diamond 10 DFS Surrounds | JBL ES250PBK |
Optoma HD25-LV 3D Projector | Elite Manual Screen 109"
Old 03-19-2015, 11:35 AM   #8

Jan 2014
Mumbai ❤

I am quite confident that Shemaroo has something to do with the tampered running length. But they always replied saying that it wasn't their fault. They always blamed the right holders for the missing content.

I also have a feeling that the YRF DVD was authored using an older master that contained the fuller movie. AFAIK, Raj Kapoor himself got the lenght of the film trimmed down because it was a commercial disaster when it was released in 1970. The trimmed version was re-released in cinemas in the 90s and it was received well.
Maybe Shemaroo used the trimmed out print for their DVD hence resulting in an incomplete experience.

Also note that many other on Yash Raj DVDs are longer than their Shemaroo alternatives.
http://www.zulm.net/forums/viewtopic...hilit=shemaroo

------------------------------------

I personally have never been entirely satisfied with Shemaroo editions of Bimal Roy and Raj Kapoor films. The primary reason being missing content.
Others reasons were lack of extra features, mediocre authoring techniques and hideous artworks and dull menus.

Yash Raj DVDs may be having inferior quality. But at least they had more of content!
And they were miles ahead in terms of extra features, artwork and menu design.
Old 03-19-2015, 02:33 PM   #9

Apr 2014

Now it's available on iTunes also. For studio's name it shows Rinki Bhattacharya and some other names. There is no mention of Shemaroo. Run time is 155 minutes. YouTube version is 162 minutes. Trailer is the same. I don't think there is any chance for a Blu-ray. They don't see any profits in releasing the 2002 movie, why would they bother with a b/w 1955 version.

I have most of the Yash Raj DVDs. I can scan the covers you need.
Old 03-19-2015, 03:13 PM   #10

Jan 2014
Mumbai ❤

Shemaroo has uploaded 2 videos : one 155 mins long and the other is 162 mins long. Both are from the same source but runtime difference is because of PAL speedup. I can't confirm the length as on the Shemaroo DVD right now. I'll have to search for it. I remember it being shorter that 155 mins.
How long is the YRF version?

Talking of covers, there are many covers I'd love to see. But that would only bug you. Besides I guess that'd violate forum rules. I'll PM you if and when I need some. THANKS!

Last edited by HDDCS; 03-19-2015 at 03:37 PM.
Old 03-19-2015, 04:39 PM   #11

Apr 2014

YRF is 162 minutes.
OK. PM me whenever you're ready.
I just received its 1936 version. Shemaroo released it in January. Not bad for a 1936 movie. Here are some screen shots:

Ds36_1.jpg

Ds36_2.jpg

Ds36_3.jpg

Ds36_4.jpg

Ds36_5.jpg
Old 03-19-2015, 05:02 PM   #12

Jan 2014
Mumbai ❤

Thanks for posting these shots! I was considering a purchase. It is definitely great for its age. This video and the DVD have similar quality.
and the subtitles are the same too! Perhaps both are from the same source.

Last edited by HDDCS; 03-19-2015 at 06:06 PM.
Old 03-19-2015, 05:21 PM   #13

Jan 2014
Mumbai ❤

I just found my Shemaroo disc! The print, as I said is brighter than YRF. It is very messy! Some parts are totally unwatchable. The audio, apart from slight hissing, is quite clear and crisp. Great for a movie of this age!

This DVD too runs at 162 mins. Now I am confused!
I guess the YRF and Shemaroo DVDs have more content than the HD version. But that depends on the HD video; whether it has a PAL speedup or not.
If it does, then the content is the same. Otherwise, the video has missing content

Here are screenshots for comparison :-

Attached Images
File Type: jpg PDVD_007.JPG (35.7 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg PDVD_012.JPG (35.1 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg PDVD_015.JPG (39.1 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg PDVD_016.JPG (35.9 KB, 49 views)

Last edited by HDDCS; 03-19-2015 at 05:30 PM.
Old 03-21-2015, 03:46 PM   #14

Jan 2014
Mumbai ❤

Couldn't find a better thread to post. Even a restored version of Do Bigha Zameen has been uploaded by Shemaroo, in HD.

It looks and sounds far better than Devdas.
Old 03-22-2015, 11:59 AM   #15

Apr 2014

^ Thanks for posting shots for Do Bigha Zameen and Devdas. DBZ does look better than its previous release. It's good that they are restoring these movies but I want their BRs and not just digital copies. I guess it's not going to happen. We better hold on to our DVDs.
Old 03-22-2015, 01:00 PM   #16

Jan 2014
Mumbai ❤

I personally feel that the DVDs of Devdas have better audio in spite of being polluted. Clarity seems to be better on the DVDs that on the uploads.

I too would be very happy if they released properly authored Blu-rays. In fact, I haven't bought a player yet. I am waiting of at least ONE of my favorite movies (namely HDDCS, Pakeezah, Pyaasa, Sholay, Mughal-E-Azam, Madhumati, Devdas (1955), and more...) to get a proper release. I'll definitely buy a player if that happens. The movies available on Blu-ray now don't really attract me.
Old 03-22-2015, 02:13 PM   #17

Feb 2013
India

What.jpg

You don't own a Blu-ray player? Must be a joke.
Few Blu-rays available FOR EXCHANGE, Contact if you are interested in these titles.
Old 03-22-2015, 02:18 PM   #18

Jan 2014
Mumbai ❤

I am serious, hahahah.
I just watch BD rips on the net. That too very rarely!

That is the reason I rarely talk about Blu-rays on the forums. I mainly discuss stuff about DVDs.
Old 03-22-2015, 02:37 PM   #19
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2010
India

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDDCS View Post
I am serious, hahahah.
I just watch BD rips on the net. That too very rarely!
What about the blu-rays in your collection?
Old 03-22-2015, 03:09 PM   #20

Jan 2014
Mumbai ❤

Out of all of them, I directly own only the 4 Indian movies. I bought them hoping that I would play them at my cousin's place. They have a player. I never watched it 'cause it would be awkward if I watched old movies in front of Justin Bieber and One Direction fans. My sister already teases me so much for tastes

Gigi and Casablanca are back in my dad's house in Kingston, Jamaica. I only got one chance to watch them, that too not in detail. I could only complete the movies. I didn't get a chance to pay great attention to the quality.

Charulata was never delivered to me. I added it when I placed my order.

I hope to buy a player soon. Mom says if I get good marks, she'll surely purchase one.

Last edited by HDDCS; 03-22-2015 at 03:17 PM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > India