Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, Cheap Blu-ray Movies!
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Game of Thrones: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$11.99
Game of Thrones: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$11.99
Beauty and the Beast (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Independence Day: Resurgence 4K (Blu-ray)
$26.99
The Boy and the Beast (Blu-ray)
$19.96
The Thing (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Cat in the Brain (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Bill & Ted's Most Excellent Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Independence Day: Resurgence 3D (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Falling Skies: The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
$9.59
Now You See Me 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Everybody Wants Some!! (Blu-ray)
$17.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > India

Old 02-12-2015, 02:10 PM   #1

Apr 2014
USA
Default This and That (Share your thoughts/inquiries about movies)

I think we need a thread where we can talk about movies in general. This is the only active forum left on line. Zulm.net is kind of dead. So here is some info and some questions:

1. Leonard Maltinís annual movie guide wonít be published any more. Year 2015th edition (published Sept. 2014) will be the last one.

2. Is there any official list of all the Indian movies released so far available anywhere?

3. Has the Filmfare (or its parent company) released the video of Awards Presentation from 1950s to 1970s?

4. There is a movie in which Salman Khan dreams about winning a Filmfare award. A black and white footage was used and his image was superimposed. Does anyone know the name of the movie?
Old 02-12-2015, 07:24 PM   #2
Expert Member

May 2010
Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajkapoor View Post
4. There is a movie in which Salman Khan dreams about winning a Filmfare award. A black and white footage was used and his image was superimposed. Does anyone know the name of the movie?
Jaan-e-mann
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0456481/?ref_=nv_sr_2

its the first scene of the film. Can watch it here
Old 02-12-2015, 08:54 PM   #3

Apr 2014
USA

Anurag1700,

You are the man! Thank you very much! Iím so glad I started this thread. Thanks again!
Old 02-13-2015, 12:17 AM   #4
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2010
India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anurag1700 View Post
Figures it'd have to be a Farah Khan movie.
Old 02-13-2015, 04:51 AM   #5
Expert Member

May 2010
Bangalore

Now I have a question i never found explanation for, let me know if any one knows this mystery

In the ending scene of devdas, after Devdas dies and gate is closed, there is supposed to be a poetic one line voice over narration from devdas. Now i saw this voiceover long ago only on an official VCD (when DVDs didnt exist). However in all DVDs released later, i never found this voiceover it was just music. Now when i searched youtube today, I found both versions of the scene.

Does anyone know why two different versions were made and why the better format (dvd) was deprived of it? I did not see the film in cinemas so i dont know which one is theatrical representation.

Without voiceover

With voiceover
Old 02-13-2015, 08:06 AM   #6
Power Member

Jul 2009
Johannesburg - South Africa

I remember when the film released, they did make mention to two versions of the film. I have the DVD's that released here and in India, and i did pick up a few differences.

- In the Indian version, some scenes were extended, and some scenes included that didnt appear in the outside India release.
These include the scenes where Chandamukhi and Dharmdas are speaking about Devdas's illness and the scene where Sumitra visits Devdas's father while he is ill, after the whole fiasco.

- The voiceover is an interesting one, i cannot remember, will have to look at the DVD's when i get home whether it appears on both.

Will confirm the above.
LG 42" LW6510 3D TV | Onkyo TX-NR 609 (7.2 Setup) |
Sony PS4 - 500 GB (Region B) | Sony PS3 - 250 GB (Region B) | Sony PS3 - 250 GB (Region A)|
Oppo BD-103 | HP Envy M6 |
Polk Audio CSi A6 | Polk Audio Tsi 500's | Polk Audio Tsi 100's | Wharfedale Diamond 10 DFS Surrounds | JBL ES250PBK |
Optoma HD25-LV 3D Projector | Elite Manual Screen 109"
Old 02-17-2015, 01:59 PM   #7

Jan 2014
Mumbai

I guess the one on the top is the french cut (its from the French Diaphana edition) perhaps that's the reason for this difference. The French cut had some more differences, I'm not sure of them.
One I am aware of :- The scene which shows Paro returning to her house and the family receives the news of Devdas' ailing dad.
"Never knew I was a dancer 'till Delilah showed me how."
Old 02-17-2015, 02:03 PM   #8

Jan 2014
Mumbai

There's a scene missing in the iTunes/French version of Devdas which is present in the Eros DVD.
Old 03-18-2015, 06:44 AM   #9

Feb 2013
India

I think this is good thread for what I need to know.

Anybody remember a hindi movie, in which two kids (under 12) take a medicine (a kind of invention) and become adults (main heroes) but in the end of movie they take that medicine again and become kids (in this scene they were shown as kids in adult's clothes).

Help: Seen this movie in late 80's on Doordarshan, I don't remember exactly but both adult characters were not too famous. Kids were looking like "Master Tito" and "Master Ravi" BUT not sure. (Friendship shown like movie KITAAB).
Few Blu-rays available FOR EXCHANGE, Contact if you are interested in these titles.
Old 03-18-2015, 02:08 PM   #10

Apr 2014
USA

^ I think you are looking for Kaya Palat.

http://cfsindia.org/kaya-palat-life-prolonging/
Thanks given by:
prepress (03-18-2015)
Old 03-18-2015, 03:08 PM   #11

Feb 2013
India

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajkapoor View Post
^ I think you are looking for Kaya Palat.

http://cfsindia.org/kaya-palat-life-prolonging/
Yay!!!!!

I think this is it Thank you!

Few Blu-rays available FOR EXCHANGE, Contact if you are interested in these titles.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:12 AM   #12
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2010
India

National Film Awards for 2014 releases have been announced - list HERE

^No love for Ankhon Dekhi at all in the awards. It's probably just personal resentment but this was my favorite film of last year and I am sad to see it go unrecognized here (it did better at the Filmfare awards). To my mind it's a far better film than (drag) Queen is or can aspire to be. It had more memorable music than Haider, be it songs or background score. Oh well, that's how the ball rolls. At least this year there is less of a Bollywood dominance in the major categories.

I got Chotushkhone as a blind-buy before I came to know that it had bagged the best director and best cinematography award. I saw half of it last night and it was interesting and quite well-shot. Will finish seeing it before I post any other impressions.
Thanks given by:
rockstar1630 (03-26-2015)
Old 09-18-2015, 06:09 AM   #13

Feb 2013
India

An another film which deserves Blu-ray treatment is Guide. I have these images in a book which are photographed on the time of shoot and they are in great quality. I have attached them (camera clicked) just for reference. But believe these are in awesome quality in actual, which made me to think how the Blu-ray quality would be. Also including a letter from R.K. Narayan to Dev Anand. Shemaroo owns the rights but it would be great if any foreign studio like Criterion work on it to restore and release it as collector's editon

DSC02376.jpg

DSC02375.jpg

DSC02372.jpg

Last edited by prepress; 09-18-2015 at 06:31 AM.
Thanks given by:
idlebrain (09-19-2015), intacto (09-18-2015), mrbrat_Boy (09-18-2015), ravenus (09-18-2015)
Old 09-18-2015, 08:42 AM   #14
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2010
India

Oh wow, thanks for posting these images. Which book is this?
There is a very interesting history of RK Narayan's reaction to the film version of Guide. He wrote an essay on it called Misguided Guide, in which he essentially accused the Anand brothers of a) Ignoring his script inputs and going so overboard with the commercial saleability of the film that it had only a slim tie with the source story. b) Being rather reticent with his payments, which is probably why that letter makes very explicit reference to money.
Dev Anand's own side of the story came out in his autobiography, which is also worth reading.
Thanks given by:
mrbrat_Boy (09-18-2015), prepress (09-18-2015)
Old 09-18-2015, 08:48 AM   #15
Power Member

Jul 2009

^^ That was actually awesome, I agree Suresh. Thanks Prepress. That letter is an awesome read, some of it is quite blunt but concise.
Sony PS4 - 500 GB (Region B) | Sony PS3 - 250 GB (Region B) | Sony PS3 - 250 GB (Region A)|
Polk Audio CSi A6 | Polk Audio Tsi 500's | Polk Audio Tsi 100's | Wharfedale Diamond 10 DFS Surrounds | JBL ES250PBK |
Old 09-18-2015, 08:56 AM   #16
Power Member

Jul 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepress View Post
An another film which deserves Blu-ray treatment is Guide. I have these images in a book which are photographed on the time of shoot and they are in great quality. I have attached them (camera clicked) just for reference. But believe these are in awesome quality in actual, which made me to think how the Blu-ray quality would be. Also including a letter from R.K. Narayan to Dev Anand. Shemaroo owns the rights but it would be great if any foreign studio like Criterion work on it to restore and release it as collector's editon

I agree with you. Guide was special for me for many reasons. One of them being was, that during the time of VHS, I recorded this movie from the local TV broadcast with those ugly 'white subtitles with black background'. My family borrowed this one until eventually the tape on VHS snapped; which I then fixed, with sellotape , lol.

I eventually ended up getting the Shemaroo DVD which I thought was authored very nicely. S. D. Burman's score is stellar! And not forgetting the lovely dances by Waheeda Rahman. That Nagin dance in the beginning of the movie had me stunned.
Old 09-18-2015, 09:41 AM   #17

Feb 2013
India

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenus View Post
Oh wow, thanks for posting these images. Which book is this?
This book is "CINEMA MODERN: THE NAVKETAN STORY"
Very nice book, very good pages/printing quality, nice content/movie posters.
I have DA's Romancing with Life" too but I am not happy with the quality of book.

Few more biographies I own are:
Naseeruddin Shah
Gulzaar
Anupam Kher
Rajesh Khanna
Amitabh Bachchan
Dilip Kumar
etc.

Thanks given by:
HDDCS (09-18-2015), mrbrat_Boy (09-18-2015), ravenus (09-18-2015)
Old 09-18-2015, 11:12 AM   #18

Jan 2014
Mumbai

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbrat_Boy View Post
I eventually ended up getting the Shemaroo DVD which I thought was authored very nicely.
If you like the Shemaroo version, you'd love the Eros version a lot. It is really good with good colors and crystal clear audio. I, for some reason haven't watched Guide because I could only find the Shemaroo edition on DVD. I have an MKV version of the Eros edition and I might consider watching it. Thanks for your input, people.
Old 09-19-2015, 12:43 PM   #19

Feb 2013
India

I have it on Shemaroo and T-Series (normal edition) but T-Series has released it's another edition as Collector's Edition which has same DVD (normal) but at higher price.

Old 09-19-2015, 01:14 PM   #20

Jan 2014
Mumbai

How do you like the quality of the Tseries version?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > India