COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Futurama: Volume 8 (Blu-ray)
$12.96
Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase One - Avengers Assembled (Blu-ray)
$119.99
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia: The Complete Season 8 (Blu-ray)
$12.96
Transformers: Age of Extinction 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Sons of Anarchy: Season Six (Blu-ray)
$29.99
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down! (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Love Streams (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Blob (Blu-ray)
$19.99
WWE: Best Pay-Per-View Matches 2011 (Blu-ray)
$11.48
Stoker (Blu-ray)
$6.99
Insomnia (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Cold in July (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$24.99
WWE: The Best of RAW 2010 (Blu-ray)
$15.98
Breaking Bad: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$102.49
The Musketeers: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Foreign Correspondent (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Old 11-29-2009, 03:14 AM   #1
Expert Member

Aug 2008
Chicago
Default Star Trek Help... Old vs. New?

Now I do know there has been quite a debate about the new and older star trek movies. I have never actually sat and watched the older films or even tv show when it used to be on. Am I missing that much by not watching the original movies? I saw the new one and enjoyed it. I guess what i'm asking is... For those that have seen both are the original films worth the blind buy? If all of them aren't which ones are?
MFFL
Old 11-29-2009, 03:18 AM   #2
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2007
Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbute2k2 View Post
Now I do know there has been quite a debate about the new and older star trek movies. I have never actually sat and watched the older films or even tv show when it used to be on. Am I missing that much by not watching the original movies? I saw the new one and enjoyed it. I guess what i'm asking is... For those that have seen both are the original films worth the blind buy? If all of them aren't which ones are?
Both are great. They have their own unique feel. You could safely blind buy the new version and be happy with your purchase.
Blind Buy Count: 213
PSN ID: cvm0305

Sometimes we hear of people who are “very” honest, “mostly” honest, or even “a little” honest.
Should we even use modifiers with the word honest? I don’t believe so. There are no degrees of honesty. Either we are honest or we aren't.
Old 11-29-2009, 03:18 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Jul 2007
Edo, Land of the Samurai

Quote:
I enjoy all of the Star Trek movies even the bad ones: Nemesis, and The Final Frontier. This thread makes me nervous.
Old 11-29-2009, 03:22 AM   #4
Expert Member

Aug 2008
Chicago

I saw the new one and loved it. But I know there have been some star trek fans that have felt otherwise.
MFFL
Old 11-29-2009, 03:23 AM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2008
Illinois
Thumbs up

Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan is classic. VI: The Undiscovered Country was great. III: The Search For Spock is ok, but it's more of a rental than blind buy.

The worst are I, IV & V. <-----stay away!
Old 11-29-2009, 03:25 AM   #6
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2007
Utah

The originals are good as well. They just have a different style to them. It is possible to enjoy both the old and the new. I have not seen the old for some time. I remember seeing a few of the older movies and watching the TV show. I enjoyed them.
Blind Buy Count: 213
PSN ID: cvm0305

Sometimes we hear of people who are “very” honest, “mostly” honest, or even “a little” honest.
Should we even use modifiers with the word honest? I don’t believe so. There are no degrees of honesty. Either we are honest or we aren't.
Old 11-29-2009, 03:28 AM   #7
Expert Member

Aug 2008
Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offender_Mullet View Post
Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan is classic. VI: The Undiscovered Country was great. III: The Search For Spock is ok, but it's more of a rental than blind buy.

The worst are I, IV & V. <-----stay away!
So if I bought II, III, VI would I be lost not seeing I or any of the others? Or could I just turn on II and have a good idea of whats going on?
MFFL
Old 11-29-2009, 03:42 AM   #8
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2009
Northern Virginia I'm the Cosmic Champion and I hold a mystic sign.

I just recently bought the Star Trek movies, however I am skipping...

- Star Trek: Insurrection (1998)
- Star Trek: Nemesis (2002)

I have really tried to like those two but to no avail. I just can't stomach them at all.

Like a previous poster pointed out. There are some really good older ones and some older ones that do not match up to the better ones. However I feel that the character interaction and heart they have, that I have no problem in watching them all multiple times a year(even I and V. Though the Greenpeace one can be tough at times).

Hope this helps.

Old 11-29-2009, 03:48 AM   #9
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2009

Quote:
So if I bought II, III, VI would I be lost not seeing I or any of the others? Or could I just turn on II and have a good idea of whats going on?
Well, only II, IV, VI and First Contact are available separately(why on earth they did that I have no idea).
But II and III go together. Like The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi does.
There would be some confusion if you skipped III.

Last edited by Duffy12; 11-29-2009 at 03:57 AM.
Old 11-29-2009, 03:52 AM   #10
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2007

*In before Elvis*

Also, go with whichever Star Trek you like to watch. If you don't know which ones {IE: haven't seen them yet} then rent them first and don't waste the money on a purchase of something you might not like...

Logan
Old 11-29-2009, 03:57 AM   #11
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2009
The Jungle Room

Can't stand the new one! Not Trek at all...to me that is. But if you like films with heart, character and wonderful interaction between the stars at a much slower pace then yes give them them a look. Don't go in expecting some 100 mile an hour rush like the new film. I am talking about 1-6 of course as I never liked TNG either so I would have leave those to others to comment on.

Glad to know you are thinking of me Logan
BD Wantlist: 1. Le Samouraï 2. Ikiru 3. Nights of Cabiria 4. La Strada 5. The Burbs 6. Murder By Death 7. Hooper 8. The Abyss 9. True Lies 10. The Little Princess 11. Love Affair (1994) 12. Into the Night 13. The Remains of the Day 14. The Gumball Rally 15. The Magnificent Ambersons 16. Urban Cowboy 17. The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance 18. Blame it on Rio 19. Under the Rainbow 20. The Pirate Movie

Last edited by Elvis; 11-29-2009 at 04:05 AM.
Old 11-29-2009, 07:57 AM   #12

Nov 2007
Opera Garnier
Send a message via MSN to Toxa

+10000
DLP = True Blu-ray Experience
The HD-DVD is DEAD since May 2005

AVC, DTS-HD MA & LPCM supporter

W3LCOM3 CHANG3 PS3

"Gran Turismo 5 isn't just a game it's a lifestyle" Bageara

I was also amaze to see that Cruise retrieve the face he had 8 years ago (2005)
Old 11-29-2009, 03:10 PM   #13
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

the new movie is not bad, but it is not Star Trek, If you want a dumb brainless, big boom movie then the other series and movies are not for you. If you want intelligent sci-fi with a social commentary and good action that makes sense then I would say go for it. Personally I like the real Star Trek series and films much better (though brainless fun is good from time to time but not what I expect when I hear Star Trek).
Old 11-29-2009, 04:24 PM   #14

May 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony P View Post
the new movie is not bad, but it is not Star Trek, If you want a dumb brainless, big boom movie then the other series and movies are not for you. If you want intelligent sci-fi with a social commentary and good action that makes sense then I would say go for it. Personally I like the real Star Trek series and films much better (though brainless fun is good from time to time but not what I expect when I hear Star Trek).
I feel this way too. It's like they said, remember all that stuff you watched and enjoyed when you were younger? Well, we're throwing that out to appeal a broad consumer base that enjoys popcorn movies.

And is it me or did some of the visual style remind anyone of Mission Impossible 3? Even at ten bucks on Blu-ray I'd rather rent it.
As the great warrior-poet Ice Cube once said, 'If the day does not require an AK, it is good.' --- Generation Kill
Old 11-29-2009, 04:37 PM   #15
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2009

Quote:

Yeah, same here too. I did have mixed feelings about Star Trek (2009).

However it is just sci-fi enough for me own and watch once or twice a year.

Old 11-29-2009, 05:00 PM   #16
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2007
Savannah, GA
Send a message via MSN to tommyboy81 Send a message via Yahoo to tommyboy81

Quote:
you don't have to watch the first to watch the 2nd. I found the first to be boring. And IV is not as bad as people say.
[Show spoiler]mostly because of love story and whales. or so i think
[Home Theater Setup

TV: Panasonic 50ST50 Plasma
Receiver: Denon 1712 *new*
Front Speakers: Polk Monitor 50's
Center: Polk CS10 *new*
Surrounds: Yamaha NX-220P
Sub: SVS SB-1000 *new*
Old 11-29-2009, 05:36 PM   #17
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyboy81 View Post
you don't have to watch the first to watch the 2nd. I found the first to be boring. And IV is not as bad as people say.
[Show spoiler]mostly because of love story and whales. or so i think
yeah each movie is pretty much a stand alone, so you can watch any of them in any order. Obviously there is more for people that understand and now stuff (i.e. watched the series and the other movies) but apart from that even in Khan which is tied to the series directly (Khan wants revenge on Kirk for beating him and marooning him there) it is said in the first few minutes of the movie and having seen the episode where it happened is not necessarily needed.
Old 11-29-2009, 05:51 PM   #18
Power Member

Mar 2005

Quote:
well i think the old startrek movies are great especially wrath of khan
also enjoyed the enhanced version of the tv show
Old 11-29-2009, 05:54 PM   #19
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_1958 View Post
...also enjoyed the enhanced version of the tv show
+1

I can't recommend those enough.

Old 11-29-2009, 05:54 PM   #20

Nov 2007
Opera Garnier
Send a message via MSN to Toxa

Quote:
Same for me
DLP = True Blu-ray Experience
The HD-DVD is DEAD since May 2005

AVC, DTS-HD MA & LPCM supporter

W3LCOM3 CHANG3 PS3

"Gran Turismo 5 isn't just a game it's a lifestyle" Bageara

I was also amaze to see that Cruise retrieve the face he had 8 years ago (2005)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies