Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
4 hrs ago
Edge of Tomorrow 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
4 hrs ago
Godzilla 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
44 min ago
Edge of Tomorrow (Blu-ray)
$14.99
9 hrs ago
Alien Anthology and Prometheus (Blu-ray)
$19.98
13 hrs ago
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Blu-ray)
$14.99
4 hrs ago
Halloween: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$79.99
13 hrs ago
Jersey Boys (Blu-ray)
$14.99
9 hrs ago
Neighbors (Blu-ray)
$9.99
9 hrs ago
Tammy (Blu-ray)
$14.99
9 hrs ago
Clint Eastwood Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
1 hr ago
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$14.99
11 hrs ago
Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure (Blu-ray)
$4.99
7 hrs ago
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater General Discussion

Old 12-04-2009, 06:58 PM   #1
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007
AB, Canada PSNetwork: Rike255
Default Movie dialogue very quiet and sound effects very loud

This question isn't about my Home theater but about my friends. He has the Onkyo TX-SR606 HT in a box setup and he had a question for me I didn't know how to answer.

Basically when watching a BD the dialogue is extremely quiet and hard to hear while sound effects are very loud. The only thing I could think of was his level for the center speaker was too low. Any other ideas what the issue could be?
PSN ID: Rike255 | My NEW Home Theatre!
Paradigm Cinema 400 x5 & PSW505 | Marantz SR7007 | Sony 46" Bravia V5100 | PS3 | PS4
Old 12-04-2009, 07:42 PM   #2

Aug 2009

He should run the calibration again after checking the speaker connections. Then adjust the level of the speaker if it still seems off.
To the ladies, peace and humptiness forever.
Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR875
Front L/R: Polk Audio Monitor 70
Center: Polk Audio CS2
Surround L/R: Polk Audio Monitor 70
Subwoofers: Two Polk Audio PSW505
TV: Mitsubishi WD82838
Blu-Ray Player: Playstation 3 (Fat 80gig)
Old 12-04-2009, 07:48 PM   #3

Jan 2009
Positioning myself in front of the crease, getting slashed behind the knees by Billy Smith! :(

Perhaps Dialoq Normalization?
VIDEO
Projector:Sanyo PLV-Z60
Screen:Elite 92" Manual
TV:Samsung 46A650
Blu-Ray Player:Oppo BDP-83
DVR:DirecTv HR34-700
AUDIO(6.2)
AVR:Pioneer Elite SC-05
Amps:3 Emotiva UPA-1's
Front Speakers:AV123 RSC-200 "Bigfoot" Center & Rocket Signature 850 Fronts
Surround Speakers:2 X Paradigm Titan v.2 Sides & 1 X Atom v.2 Back
Subs:2- SVS PC12-NSD's
OTHER
Remote:Harmony One
Transducer:
Buttkicker
Protection:Belkin PF-60
Old 12-04-2009, 08:48 PM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Great White North

What is the speaker setup like. Does he have a good Center speaker? This alone could result in muffled dialogue. The center speaker is probably one of the most important speakers in any setup.
TIL ALL ARE ONE THEATER
Projector: PIONEER FPJ1 (JVC RS2 Clone) 1080P LCOS
Screen: 106" EluneVision 16:9 (White) - 1.2 Gain
Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR705
Blu-ray: Sony Playstation 3 - 60GB
Power Protection: APC Smart-UPS 1500
Universal Remote: URC RFS200 PowerPak Bundle w/ MasterControl RF20 and PowerBlaster
SVS 7.2 SURROUND SOUND: Fronts & Surrounds: SVS SBS-01 / Center: SVS SCS-01 / Subs: SVS PB10-NSD
Old 12-04-2009, 08:58 PM   #5
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2007
Washington, DC
Send a message via AIM to statikcat Send a message via Yahoo to statikcat

Keep in mind there is a difference between dialog levels DURING loud action scenes and in between them. If it is way too quiet during the action scenes it is likely the center channel needs turned up.

If it is a problem in between action scenes.. and you keep turning up the volume during dialog and back down during action .. then you need to use the compression on the 606. I forget what it is called exactly but I used to have one and it worked wonders. I think it only works with non HD dolby though.. but if you are not listening super loud it should be sufficient.

A lot of movies mix the action scenes way louder than the dialog in general.. so unless you have it cranked to a good level the dialog parts will be often too quiet. I also offset this sometimes by just turning on subtitles!
Display: LG 47LW5600 3d LED
Receiver: Pioneer VSX-1019
Gaming: PS3, 360, Wii, PC -Win7 64 AMD X4 940, ATI 6870
Speakers: Fronts: Energy RC50 Center:Energy Veritas V-5.2 Surrounds: Polk Monitor 50 Sub: Acoustic Audio HD-SUB12
Media: HTPC 1000B PC - Streaming from 6tb server - WMC w/ Mediabrowser extension

Last edited by statikcat; 12-04-2009 at 09:07 PM.
Old 12-05-2009, 03:46 AM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008
Bainbridge Island, WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsberg21 View Post
Nope. Dialnorm lowers overall volume, but does not affect the relative levels of the channels.

Dynamic Range Control is a way to reduce dynamic range, which has the effect of making dialog louder in relation to effects. Applying DRC might help.

But, the OP's friend really needs to calibrate speaker levels with an SPL meter to make sure all the channels are playing at the same volume. Once that's done, he can increase the volume a bit more on the center channel if dialog is still getting drowned out.
Old 12-06-2009, 05:48 PM   #7

Oct 2009

Yeah i would turn up the center channel and lower the fronts? i have a onkyo sks 540 htib speakers and dialogue is good. Maybe theres some minor adjustsments that you need to calibirate on the receiver.
Samsung Hlt-5075S 50" DLP
Pioneer VSX-D498 5.1
Onkyo 7.1 SKS-HT540
Sony PS3 SLIM 120GB
Old 12-06-2009, 06:08 PM   #8
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2008
'Western' N.Y. State (MEMBER OF THE "ECPP")

Just my 2...

Definitely make sure that the center channel speaker is connected solidly and properly as a precaution.

Run Audyssey for a fresh level calibration, or at least manually check with test tones to each speaker. If you do the latter and the center sounds abnormally low, adjust its level upward in 2 to 3dB increments until you feel it sounds even. Try to keep your front left and right speakers referenced at 0dB and perform center calibration based on that.

Dynamic Range Control (DNR) on the audio can even the sound out (dynamic peaks of loudness versus quiet passages). It can help you, but it may only be a band-aid solution to a more surgical problem. Proper channel level calibration would be a more viable solution.
Old 12-06-2009, 06:21 PM   #9

Aug 2009
Mechanicsburg, PA
Send a message via ICQ to dewd Send a message via AIM to dewd Send a message via Yahoo to dewd

The location of the center is important as well. If the center is in a cabinet, close to the floor, or not pointing at your ears, dialog can be compromised.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:39 PM   #10
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007
AB, Canada PSNetwork: Rike255

Sorry for the late reply, I kinda forgot about this thread

Thanks very much for the input everyone, I think it's probably a calibration or placement issue. I'll let him know!
PSN ID: Rike255 | My NEW Home Theatre!
Paradigm Cinema 400 x5 & PSW505 | Marantz SR7007 | Sony 46" Bravia V5100 | PS3 | PS4
Old 12-28-2009, 05:24 PM   #11

Dec 2009

I am a frustrated Blu-Ray owner...I absolutely love the picture, but I'm having an issue with dialogue playing MUCH quieter than sound effects/music. I persued this thread, but it didn't seem to help.

Here's the skinny on my setup and what 've tried so far...

I have the Yamaha RX-V457 receiver. I have two front speakers about 4-5 feet high, each about 3-4 feet to the side of the TV and about 12 feet from where the viewer sits. I have a center channel just below the TV and a subwoofer, but it's not at the floor, it's about 3 feet off the ground. Two rear surround speakers sit directly to the viewer's right and left, maybe 3-4 feet from the ends of the couch. The speakers are a Polk Audio set; the 2 mains and 2 rears are the same speaker. The speakers generally form a square.

I checked the speaker connections and tested them, they're all connected properly. I've tried playing with the center channel's and main speakers' levels all sorts of ways, but to no avail. The center channel seems to get a lot of music/effects coming through it, so simply increasing the center level doesn't work (dialogue stays quiet anyway). I've tried using different sound fields, such as the various "Movie" settings, the regular 5.1 stereo setting, Surround Enhanced, and a few others. I tried just using the Basic Setup mode to calibrate, and I've tried manually adjusting speaker level with the Manual Setup mode.

I'm not an audiophile, so a lot of the settings and such on the receiver are Greek to me.

I would appreciate any help, as I am now forced to sit through Blu-Ray movies with the remote in my hand so I can increase volume for talking scenes and lower it for action scenes. Normal TV is just fine, though...no level problems there.

Though this is largely unimportant, the scene I was using to test when I was monkeying around with the settings was from the movie "Serenity", just after the movie title appears...there is loud music and effects as the ship descends towards the planet, but as soon as you go into the cockpit for the dialogue, it's unbelievably quiet.

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-28-2009, 05:27 PM   #12

Dec 2009

Forgot to add that I use an optical cable for the audio.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:55 PM   #13
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008
Bainbridge Island, WA

What Blu-ray player are you using and what are the audio settings?

What are the audio settings on the receiver input connected to the BD player?

Have you calibrated your system with internal test tones or a calibration disc to make sure all channels are outputting sound at tghe same volume at the main listening position?

Some of the symtoms you describe suggest that you do not have the player and receiver properly configured to process the DD 5.1 or DTS audio on the disc. The center channel rarely has much in the way of music or effects with a discrete 5.1 output. When you play the movie, what format does the receiver display report it is getting?
Old 12-28-2009, 08:03 PM   #14

Mar 2008
Boise, ID
Send a message via AIM to SilverFireshot Send a message via MSN to SilverFireshot Send a message via Yahoo to SilverFireshot Send a message via Skype™ to SilverFireshot

Like others have said, it's a simple thing, but just make sure the center speaker connections are tight. I was having the same problem this week until I figured out my son (who is 15 months and is already showing my passion for electronics ) loosened one of the connections to the center speaker.
Chance of Fate Productions
Old 12-28-2009, 08:07 PM   #15

Jul 2009

I would recommend a couple of things.

First, bump the volume setting up on your PS3 to +1, also make sure the dynamic range control on your PS3 is off.

Also, on your receiver bump up your center channel level a little bit higher than your front left and right channels.

Hi, my name is Phil and I'm an addict.
Epson 8100 Home Cinema Projector with 92" Draper Screen / Yamaha RX-V765 Receiver / L&R Channel- Mirage Omni C150 / Center- PSB Image C40 / 2 Polk RM101's for rears / Earthquake Kompressor S-10 & Polk PSW 505 Subwoofers / Sony PS3 120gb / APC H10 Power Conditioner
Old 12-28-2009, 08:21 PM   #16
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008
Bainbridge Island, WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZedsDead View Post
First, bump the volume setting up on your PS3 to +1,
Doesn't that simply increase the volume of everything? Why do you think there's a PS3 involved here, btw? kbrownell hasn't said what player is being used.

Quote:
also make sure the dynamic range control on your PS3 is off.
Actually, DRC can be helpful with dialog issues. It lowers the volume of loud sound effects while raising the volume of quiet sounds such as whispers. The net effect is to make dialog easier to hear relative to music and effects audio.

And, of course, these settings only come into play if the player is doing the decoding, which should not be the case here. With optical, the player should be set to bitstream. That's the only way to send discrete 5.1 over an optical connection. If the player is set to PCM, the output will be stereo and that would be the root of the problem.

Last edited by BIslander; 12-28-2009 at 08:23 PM.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:26 PM   #17
The Digital Bits

Jul 2008

Your system is outputting 2-channel PCM. You have to set your system to bitstream, and make sure to select the lossy track on PCM discs
Old 12-28-2009, 08:26 PM   #18
Blu-ray Knight

Nov 2009
Club Loop

I find Band of Brothers has this issue.
In the opening scenes when they have the short 'interview' segments with the soldiers it's very quiet, and then when the show starts it blows my face off. And this happens with or without surround sound hooked up to it so I guess it's just the discs themselves?
Seattle Seahawks XLVIII Champions

2014: 8-4
Old 12-28-2009, 08:39 PM   #19
The Digital Bits

Jul 2008

No, you need to configure your player properly and tell it what kind of equipment you have. Read your manual
Old 12-28-2009, 08:40 PM   #20

Dec 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander View Post
With optical, the player should be set to bitstream.
Seeing as how I've never monkeyed with that setting on the BD player, I suspect that might be it. I will check when I get home. If it doesn't work, then I'll answer the questions you guys have asked.

A big thanks for your time!
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater General Discussion