COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase One - Avengers Assembled (Blu-ray)
$119.99
Cold in July (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Sons of Anarchy: Season Six (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Monsieur Verdoux (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Jules and Jim (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Foreign Correspondent (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down! (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Love Streams (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Transformers: Age of Extinction 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Insomnia (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Earth to Echo (Blu-ray)
$22.99
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Mickey, Donald, Goofy: The Three Musketeers (Blu-ray)
$20.69
The Jack Ryan Collection (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Breaking Bad: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$102.49
Being John Malkovich (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Seattle Seahawks: Road to XLVIII (Blu-ray)
$17.29

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland

Old 08-19-2009, 09:09 PM   #1
Blu-ray reviewer

Jul 2007
X
-
-
United Kingdom British Film Institute (BFI) Discussion Thread

BFI Blu-ray Collection

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 07-18-2014 at 02:58 AM.
Old 08-20-2009, 02:53 AM   #2
Contributor

Dec 2008
East Coast, USA

Sampled from the British Film Institute's press release.

Quote:
Discover The Flipside

A new DVD and Blu-ray strand from the BFI...a new strand presenting weird and wonderful British films in new high-quality editions on DVD and Blu-ray.

Developed from its popular monthly screening slot at BFI Southbank, the BFI’s Flipside series on DVD and Blu-ray is designed to revisit and reappraise British films that have slipped through the cracks of cinema
history – films that were overlooked, marginalised, or undervalued at the original time of release, or sit outside the established canon of recognised classics. Subject matter will vary widely (and will encompass
everything from nuclear war to Soho striptease, from forbidden love to international intrigue) and is likely to appeal to a diverse range of film fans, many of whom may be unfamiliar with the BFI’s more traditional DVD and Blu-ray output.

All Flipside releases, newly-mastered in HD from original film elements, are presented with a wide array of special features and extensive illustrated booklets containing informative notes and thought-provoking essays. Initial contributors include respected writers Stewart Home and Iain Sinclair.

Three new Flipside titles will appear approximately every three months.
Source
"You might very well think that; I couldn't possibly comment."

Last edited by McCrutchy; 08-20-2009 at 03:51 AM.
Old 08-20-2009, 03:17 AM   #3
Contributor

Dec 2008
East Coast, USA

Released in 2008:

SalÚ Blu-ray.com Review

Region B

Red Desert Blu-ray.com Review

Region B

Released in 2009:

GAZWRX: The Films of Jeff Keen Blu-ray.com Review

The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner Blu-ray.com Review

Region B

Saturday Night and Sunday Morning Blu-ray.com Review

Region B

Nighthawks / Strip Jack Naked Blu-ray.com Review

Arabian Nights Blu-ray.com Review
The Canterbury Tales Blu-ray.com Review
The Decameron Blu-ray.com Review

Region B

The Magick Lantern Cycle

The Other Side of the Underneath Blu-ray.com Review

Separation Blu-ray.com Review

The Bill Douglas Trilogy Blu-ray.com Review

Comrades

Anti-Clock Blu-ray.com Review

Penny Points to Paradise / Let's Go Crazy

Winstanley

Released in 2010:

Institute Benjamenta (BD + DVD) Blu-ray.com Review

To be released in 2010:

The Leopard 21 June

Is Your Honeymoon Really Necessary / My Wife's Lodger (BD + DVD) 21 June

Late Spring (BD + DVD) 21 June

Early Summer (BD + DVD) 19 July

Tokyo Story (BD + DVD) 19 July

The Innocents 23 August

BFI Flipside Collection

Released in 2009:

001. The Bed Sitting Room Blu-ray.com Review

Region B

002. London in the Raw Blu-ray.com Review

003. Primitive London Blu-ray.com Review

004. Herostratus Blu-ray.com Review

005. All the Right Noises Blu-ray.com Review

006. Man of Violence / The Big Switch Blu-ray.com Review

Released in 2010:

007. Privilige

Region B

008. That Kind of Girl Blu-ray.com Review

009. Permissive Blu-ray.com Review

010. The Pleasure Girls (BD + DVD)

011. The Party's Over (BD + DVD)

012. Prostitute (BD + DVD)

Last edited by McCrutchy; 06-04-2010 at 06:48 PM.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:43 AM   #4

Jun 2008
Brooklyn Heights, OH PSNetwork ID: Ozzy_Rulz

Also remember The Adelphi Collection. I believe Penny Points To Paradise/Let's Go Crazy is the first one of that series.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:10 AM   #5
Special Member

Feb 2007
United Kingdom
Default Pasolini's 'Teorema' - any chance BFI will release it on Blu?

BFI released a great DVD edition of this amazing film, which I regard as Pasolini's masterpiece. As they have already released Antonioni's 'Red Desert' on BD and have announced Visconti's 'The Leopard', they seem to be building up a catalogue of classic Italian cinema on Blu-ray, so I'm hoping that 'Teorema' won't be far behind. Anyone else interested in this one?
Panasonic Blu-ray players BD65 (UK model), BD75 (Multi-region US model), Panasonic EX77 recorder, Denon 3808 receiver, Panasonic 46PZ80 TV, 5.1 speaker system: KEF Reference Model 3 (fronts), KEF Model 200C (centre), Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 (surrounds), SVS SB12-Plus (sub)
Old 08-21-2009, 06:15 AM   #6
Special Member

Feb 2007
United Kingdom
Default @The Charge Of The LIght Brigade' (Richardson) - any chance of a Blu release?

I recall that BFI released Tony Richardson's 'The Charge Of The Light Brigade' on DVD several years ago and they have already done one of his earlier films on Blu-ray, so I hope they will get around to this one soon. It has a great satirical script, and Trevor Howard and John Gielgud were never better.
Panasonic Blu-ray players BD65 (UK model), BD75 (Multi-region US model), Panasonic EX77 recorder, Denon 3808 receiver, Panasonic 46PZ80 TV, 5.1 speaker system: KEF Reference Model 3 (fronts), KEF Model 200C (centre), Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 (surrounds), SVS SB12-Plus (sub)
Old 08-25-2009, 01:50 AM   #7

Nov 2008
Central, PA

BFI is far and away my favorite company for Blu-ray, though Optimum is releasing some great stuff in September. I just hope their mastering is as good as BFI because I was never a big fan of their DVD releases.
I'd love to see TEOREMA in high-definition!
"To state things plainly is the function of journalism; Alex instead writes fugitive reviews, allusive, symbolic, full of imagery and allegory, and by leaving things out, he allows the reader the privilege of creating along with him."

http://korovatheatrepresents.blogspot.com/
http://mycriteriology.blogspot.com/
http://darkexegesis.blogspot.com/
http://hammerfilmreviews.blogspot.com/
Old 09-10-2009, 02:03 AM   #8
Contributor

Dec 2008
East Coast, USA

We now have reviews up for the three August Flipside releases, courtesy of Dr. A. (scroll down this post).
Old 09-10-2009, 07:35 AM   #9

Feb 2009
Stonyhurst , Clitheroe , Lancashire
Send a message via MSN to Deco King Send a message via Yahoo to Deco King
Default A possible BFI Dracula Blu Ray sometime next year?

On the You Tube website there is a BFI trailer for Hammer's 1958 version of Dracula ( Horror Of Dracula in the USA ) , this was the trailer for the new print struck by the BFI , and it has a cut restored of a staking sequence. The colours in the trailer look great and the picture quality is excellent.

See the link here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDTxH...om=PL&index=14

So having seen the trailer I telephoned the BFI and discovered happily that the BFI is in discussion with Warner Bros to get the rights to do a DVD and presumably a
Blu Ray from the "new" ( actually about two or three years old now ) print! Let's hope this comes off because the image quality was super!
Old 09-15-2009, 10:59 AM   #10
Power Member

Mar 2009

Does anyone know hat happened to the Blu release Of Time And The City, I ordered it from Play and its been saying delivery in a fortnight for months now http://www.play.com/DVD/Blu-ray/4-/8...y/Product.html
"There's nothing wrong with Britain that impaling the Prime Minister wouldn't cure"
Old 09-16-2009, 08:32 AM   #11
Power Member

Mar 2009

Thanks for the info.
"There's nothing wrong with Britain that impaling the Prime Minister wouldn't cure"
Old 09-18-2009, 08:59 AM   #12

Mar 2008
Thumbs up BFI blu-ray prices lowered at Play.com

just to let you know, Play.com have lowered the prices on some of their BFI Blu-rays. I just picked up 'Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner' and 'Saturday Night and Sunday Morning' for 11 quid each, theres quite a few more for £10 or £11, Red Desert, Salo, Bed Sitting Room etc and the Jeff Keen Gazwrx Boxset is £15. I don't think they have been cheaper. Hopefully this is useful to someone.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:31 AM   #13
Super Moderator

Jan 2006

Amazon too - which ships to the US

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/movies...ortby=bestdeal

I ordered:
- The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner
- Saturday Night and Sunday Morning
- London in the Raw
Old 09-18-2009, 11:26 AM   #14
Power Member

Mar 2009

Thanks for that excellent news. Does anyone know if two of my favourites, London and Robinson In Space might get the blu ray treatment
Old 09-21-2009, 05:50 PM   #15
Power Member

Aug 2007
Estonia

Two very early release dates:
"The Innocents" - March 22nd 2010
"The Leopard" - May 10th 2010

Seems that both were originally planned for November this year and have been delayed few times so they may be delayed again.
Old 09-24-2009, 10:37 AM   #16
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2007

www.play.com has lowered their prices for Passolini's Arabian Nights, The Canterbury Tales, Salo and The Decameron to £10.99 each.

Old 10-06-2009, 12:38 PM   #17
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2007

And as expected; Arabian Nights looked awesome!
Old 10-17-2009, 08:26 PM   #18

Oct 2009
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Morrison View Post
I recall that BFI released Tony Richardson's 'The Charge Of The Light Brigade' on DVD several years ago and they have already done one of his earlier films on Blu-ray, so I hope they will get around to this one soon. It has a great satirical script, and Trevor Howard and John Gielgud were never better.
Agreed this is a movie I would love to see on Blu-Ray, unfortunately the BFI DVD released in 2004 was slashed to ribbons edited down from around 145 minutes to 125 minutes! Hopefully a Blu-Ray release will see the restoration of these 20 minutes
Old 10-17-2009, 10:01 PM   #19
Special Member

Feb 2007
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chippy1969 View Post
Agreed this is a movie I would love to see on Blu-Ray, unfortunately the BFI DVD released in 2004 was slashed to ribbons edited down from around 145 minutes to 125 minutes! Hopefully a Blu-Ray release will see the restoration of these 20 minutes
I hadn't realised that. It's surprising for BFI to have released a cut version of a British film. I actually bought the Region 1 DVD edition in the end because it was a slightly better transfer (and of course didn't suffer from the PAL speed-up). But I think there's a better chance of getting a Blu-ray release from BFI in the UK than from Fox/MGM in the US, so I certainly hope they wouldn't release a cut version again.
Old 10-17-2009, 10:31 PM   #20

Oct 2009

Unfortunately, the BFI lost the home video rights (hence their SD version going OOP), subsequently picked up by Optimum...who have since re-released the same cut version. I wouldn't bank on anything better from them in BD.

Tragic really; times have changed at the BFI since that quite poor version, a BD set from them would have been quite something (particularly since it's rumoured they have filmed, but unused, extras in their vaults).
Samsung LE52A656A1F; Oppo DV-983H; Oppo BDP-80; Virgin V+ Box; Yamaha DSP-A1; Mission 77C; Mission 774s; Mission 77DSs; Yamaha YST-SW320; Harmony One

Last edited by John Hodson; 10-17-2009 at 10:40 PM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland