Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Sinbad Trilogy (Blu-ray)
£44.99
UFO: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
£50.43
The Girl with All the Gifts (Blu-ray)
£7.00
Letter to Brezhnev (Blu-ray)
£12.99
Phenomena (Blu-ray)
£24.99
Ghost in the Shell (Blu-ray)
£14.99
Almost Human (Blu-ray)
£12.99
The Fate of the Furious (Blu-ray)
£14.99
Slugs (Blu-ray)
£8.99
The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy (Blu-ray)
£8.00
The Count Yorga Collection (Blu-ray)
£8.99
Tarantula (Blu-ray)
£9.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland

Old 03-07-2016, 02:56 PM   #1
Blu-ray Archduke

Mar 2012
New York City
United Kingdom Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon - 15th Anniversary Edition (4K-mastered) - 10/10/16

Sony will be releasing a 15th Anniversary edition of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon on October 10th. As far as I know this will be a Mastered in 4K title.

Zavvi
Thanks given by:
Andrew354 (03-09-2016), Ste7en (03-08-2016)
Old 03-09-2016, 07:19 PM   #2

Feb 2015
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

Nice.
I hope they release a double-pack with the sequel later in the year as well.
Old 03-10-2016, 07:41 AM   #3
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2009
Scotland, UK

Has the forum had server issues? Could have sworn this thread had at least a page worth of replies.

_________

Definitely wouldn't mind double dipping on this film.
Old 03-10-2016, 04:10 PM   #4
Blu-ray Prince

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSimonH View Post
Has the forum had server issues? Could have sworn this thread had at least a page worth of replies.

_________

Definitely wouldn't mind double dipping on this film.
It might have been the old thread for the pre- Mastered in 4K releases', DaveSimonH.
"Sometimes it scares me how far away my brain is." DC
"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." AE
''I have no idea what Hammer Time is. Or how it differs from regular time." DM
"How many times do I have to buy this thing?" MH
"Sure. Fine. Whatever." DS
Old 07-09-2016, 02:42 AM   #5

May 2014
Taiwan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew354 View Post
Nice.
I hope they release a double-pack with the sequel later in the year as well.
Nah. The sequal is not directed by Ang Lee. And it's even much worse than the original one. Double pack it with the Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon I will destroy it.
Old 07-09-2016, 05:45 PM   #6
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2011
Scotland

Great! ...and packaged in a steelie would be nice
Pre-ordered
Beauty and the Beast (2017-steelbook), Guardians of the Galaxy 2 (steelbook), Logan (steelbook)
Old 10-17-2016, 04:34 AM   #7
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2009
Scotland, UK

Apparently the release was pushed to 31st October, spotted that Zoom have a preorder listed at 10 (9 after SIGNUP10 code). Amazon & HMV have it at 11.99

The 4K blu-ray seems to be priced at 20 most places, including Zoom (although 18 with code).

Thanks given by:
Patient-X (10-17-2016)
Old 10-17-2016, 07:01 AM   #8
Power Member

Oct 2012
Exclamation

FYI, Judging by the backcover - looks like UK standard release won't be getting the Dolby Atmos track / only DTS-MA 5.1 mentioned.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present." - Master Oogway
Old 10-17-2016, 09:45 AM   #9
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2011
Stockholm, but Sussex when back in UK
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBuckWild View Post
FYI, Judging by the backcover - looks like UK standard release won't be getting the Dolby Atmos track / only DTS-MA 5.1 mentioned.
Given that does anyone know if the US version is region free. The earlier titles in these mastered in 4K were RA locked in US although only Bram Stoker's Dracula was a global Sony title, the others Leon (The Professional) and Fifth Element were only Sony in US and not UK and Europe.
Old 10-17-2016, 11:05 AM   #10
Power Member

Oct 2012
Lightbulb

As per the backcover (US release) - It's region free. Therefore I would highly recommend importing this title.

[Show spoiler]
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present." - Master Oogway
Old 10-17-2016, 04:07 PM   #11
Power Member

Jul 2013
St. Albans, UK

Hmmm... does two sets of subtitles "English" and "English SDH" mean one set is the original theatrical subtitles?
Display: Panasonic ET61 1080p HD LED 3D (ISF Pro Cal'd)
Blu Ray: Panasonic BDT370 3D Player
Reciever: Yamaha RXV373

http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/grim_tales1

My Collection
Old 10-17-2016, 05:57 PM   #12

Nov 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by grim_tales View Post
Hmmm... does two sets of subtitles "English" and "English SDH" mean one set is the original theatrical subtitles?
Unfortunately not. SDH means "Subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing", so one just translates the dialogue, and the other adds sound information.
Old 10-17-2016, 06:37 PM   #13
Blu-ray Archduke

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBuckWild View Post
Oh that suuuuuuuuuuuuucks. What is it with Sony lately?

I've got the UK one pre-ordered at HMV for 19.99 but the US is 20.54 at wowHD, I know what I'm doing next! (Much better cover art on the US UHD too)

(and yes, I know that the UHD will have the atmos regardless but I want it on the regular disc too)
Old 10-17-2016, 07:33 PM   #14
Special Member

Jun 2010
Scotland

The UHD case doesn't even say the standard Blu-ray has HD audio, but it states this on the standard Blu-ray case. I wonder if they've just messed up regarding not mentioning the Atmos audio or is it really not there? I don't really care about Atmos, so I'll grab the 9 Zoom one anyway, very happy at that price.
Old 10-17-2016, 07:54 PM   #15
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2010
France

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Oh that suuuuuuuuuuuuucks. What is it with Sony lately?
They did the same with Dracula in the few European countries they released the 4K remaster (like Germany, Spain or Japan) : new restoration, but Atmos got replaced by DTS HD MA 5.1. Might have to do with accomodate more bandwidth to all the lossy dubs Sony crams on their European discs (they do the same kind of thing with French UHD : US UHD gets French lossless dub, but the French UHD gets a lossy one because some French UHD releases have 11 dubs).
Mes tests Blu Rays

"To be is to do"-Socrates; "To do is to be"-Sartre; "Do Be Do Be Do"-Sinatra; "Scooby Dooby Doo"-Scooby Doo; "Yaba Daba Doo!"-Fred Flintstone
Thanks given by:
Geoff D (10-17-2016)
Old 10-17-2016, 07:58 PM   #16
Blu-ray Archduke

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Jonezzz... View Post
The UHD case doesn't even say the standard Blu-ray has HD audio, but it states this on the standard Blu-ray case. I wonder if they've just messed up regarding not mentioning the Atmos audio or is it really not there? I don't really care about Atmos, so I'll grab the 9 Zoom one anyway, very happy at that price.
I noticed that on the UHD case too (saying the Blu has got Dolby Digital 5.1! ) so something might've been ballsed up along the line, it's like they've been taking lessons from Warners on how not to give a shit when doing Blu-ray covers.

However I think tenia is correct, Sony removed the Atmos audio on the Euro release of Dracula and it seems as if the same has happened here.
Old 10-17-2016, 08:01 PM   #17
Blu-ray Prince

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenia View Post
They did the same with Dracula in the few European countries they released the 4K remaster (like Germany, Spain or Japan) : new restoration, but Atmos got replaced by DTS HD MA 5.1. Might have to do with accomodate more bandwidth to all the lossy dubs Sony crams on their European discs (they do the same kind of thing with French UHD : US UHD gets French lossless dub, but the French UHD gets a lossy one because some French UHD releases have 11 dubs).
They might have, but the Supreme Cinema Series release of Bram Stoker's Dracula was around 32GB (the original release was about the same as well), so there was plenty of room to put on an Atmos track in several languages if they'd wanted. I wouldn't be surprised if there was contractual malarkey at play.
"Sometimes it scares me how far away my brain is." DC
"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." AE
''I have no idea what Hammer Time is. Or how it differs from regular time." DM
"How many times do I have to buy this thing?" MH
"Sure. Fine. Whatever." DS
Old 10-17-2016, 09:27 PM   #18
Special Member

Jun 2010
Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
I noticed that on the UHD case too (saying the Blu has got Dolby Digital 5.1! ) so something might've been ballsed up along the line, it's like they've been taking lessons from Warners on how not to give a shit when doing Blu-ray covers.

However I think tenia is correct, Sony removed the Atmos audio on the Euro release of Dracula and it seems as if the same has happened here.
Just read Tenia's post, so yeah, I'd imagine that it's most likely been removed. Looking forward to seeing this anyway, I have a feeling it'll look AMAZING, much like Leon's 4K remaster. And hopefully less like the sharpened TFE (which is still good though).
Old 10-17-2016, 09:34 PM   #19
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2010
France

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip75 View Post
They might have, but the Supreme Cinema Series release of Bram Stoker's Dracula was around 32GB (the original release was about the same as well), so there was plenty of room to put on an Atmos track in several languages if they'd wanted.
Disc space is one thing, but bandwidth also is limited by the BDA specs.

Maximum authorized A+V bitrate is 48 Mbps. An Atmos track can eat already 8-9 Mbps. Adding a 2nd one would mean almost half the authorized total AV bitrate go to 2 audio tracks, leaving the video stuck with the rest.

That's why you don't see lots of BDs with 2 lossless Atmos tracks or why some concerts with 96/24 tracks can end up with relatively low video bitrate and remaining disc space but still almost maxed out total bitrate. Take Muse Live at Olympic Stadium Rome : the disc is only 34 Gb and the AVB 26 Mbps, but with 2 96/24 tracks to accomodate (LPCM 2.0 + DTS HD MA 5.1), the total bitrate is 42 Mbps.

If you don't want to recode the video everytime you're messing around with the numbers of soundtracks, it seems more easily accepted to either downgrade the dubs to lossy encodes and/or downgrade the original soundtrack.
Mes tests Blu Rays

"To be is to do"-Socrates; "To do is to be"-Sartre; "Do Be Do Be Do"-Sinatra; "Scooby Dooby Doo"-Scooby Doo; "Yaba Daba Doo!"-Fred Flintstone
Thanks given by:
chip75 (10-17-2016)
Old 10-17-2016, 11:48 PM   #20
Blu-ray Archduke

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

There is an overhead built in via the buffer fill rate which allows video bitrates alone to sneak up on 50 Mb/s, albeit only briefly.
Thanks given by:
chip75 (10-18-2016)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland