Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Hannibal: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$15.00
Fairy Tail: Part 12 (Blu-ray)
$31.69
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug 3D (Blu-ray)
$32.99
Nightbreed (Blu-ray)
$20.95
The Flintstones (Blu-ray)
$8.99
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$79.99
The Bubble 3D (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
A.I. Artificial Intelligence (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Planes: Fire & Rescue (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Magic in the Moonlight (Blu-ray)
$22.79
Scanners (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Kingpin (Blu-ray)
$14.39
Tommy Boy (Blu-ray)
$4.88
Minority Report (Blu-ray)
$7.88
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED
Old 07-20-2012, 01:38 PM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2008
United Kingdom Third Window Films Discussion Thread

Last edited by Yami; 05-06-2014 at 02:42 PM.
Thanks given by:
Sinthetic (09-01-2014)
Old 07-20-2012, 01:41 PM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2008

TW would like your opinion on these Tetsuo cover mockups:

[Show spoiler]
Old 07-20-2012, 01:42 PM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2011
UK

Nice thread mate. These guys don't get enough love.

Cover #5 gets the nod from me. Although I'd really like them to use the Japanese that is visible on the poster (?) that's being used as a placeholder on here.
Old 07-20-2012, 01:45 PM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2008

They're a great little distributor. I love how open and communicative they are with their fans (albeit on Facebook).

Also, I forgot to mention that due to a "slight manufacturing hiccup", Love Exposure has been delayed until August 13th.
Old 07-20-2012, 01:49 PM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2011
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yami View Post
They're a great little distributor. I love how open and communicative they are with their fans (albeit on Facebook).

Also, I forgot to mention that due to a "slight manufacturing hiccup", Love Exposure has been delayed until August 13th.
They are excellent. Am I dreaming, or was Kotoko moved to October (instead of September 24th)?
Old 07-20-2012, 01:58 PM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinthetic View Post
They are excellent. Am I dreaming, or was Kotoko moved to October (instead of September 24th)?
They never mentioned it was delayed but they recently said "A wonderful review of KOTOKO from the East End Film Festival from Lust & Found "surely the crowning success of this festival" - Out on DVD/BR in October" so I guess October it is.
Old 07-20-2012, 02:01 PM   #7
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2011
UK

Quote:
They never mentioned it was delayed but they recently said "A wonderful review of KOTOKO from the East End Film Festival from Lust & Found "surely the crowning success of this festival" - Out on DVD/BR in October" so I guess October it is.
Here is what I saw on Twitter:

"@EastEndFilmFest Kotoko will be out on DVD/BR on October 6th to coincide with the BR re-releases of TETSUO I & II"

Tetsuo is out on the 8th isn't it? That's the usual Monday. October 6th is Saturday? Let's wait and see.

P.S - Who else thinks Confessions is staggeringly good?
Old 07-20-2012, 02:09 PM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2008

I was blown away by Confessions, it's one of my favourite films of the decade so far. Takako Matsu is marvellous in it and I really hope that someone releases her debut film, April Story, soon. I suggested it to TW recently, when they were asking for suggestions so here's hoping.
Old 07-20-2012, 02:12 PM   #9
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2011
UK

Quote:
I was blown away by Confessions, it's one of my favourite films of the decade so far. Takako Matsu is marvellous in it and I really hope that someone releases her debut film, April Story, soon. I suggested it to TW recently, when they were asking for suggestions so here's hoping.
Top stuff mate, I agree. What are some of your other favourite Asian films?
Old 07-20-2012, 02:47 PM   #10
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2008

Quote:
Top stuff mate, I agree. What are some of your other favourite Asian films?
I won't bother mentioning the obvious classics (Kurosawa, Ozu, Mizoguchi etc.) but, recently, I've been really impressed with Taiwanese cinema. Yi Yi and A Brighter Summer Day are two of the best films I've ever seen and, although some find him deadly boring, I think Hou Hsiao-Hsien's works, specifically A City of Sadness, are up there as well. Tsai Ming-liang isn't quite up there for me but his first four films are still brilliant. I'm not too familiar with Chinese films but I loved Yellow Earth. I've also saw way too few Korean films but I thought A Bittersweet Life was one of the best films of the 00s.

(Relatively) Recent Japanese filmmakers that have impressed me are Shunji Iwai (Love Letter, April Story), Makoto Shinkai (5cm per second) and the late Shinji Somai, though Typhoon Club is the only film of his I managed to see. And I really liked Sion Sono's Love Exposure and can't wait for the Blu!
Old 07-20-2012, 07:22 PM   #11
Expert Member

Nov 2011

The only title I have from them is Confessions, which I'm very fond of. I think I started watching Love Exposure on some Film4 Extreme season, but fell asleep (it was late, I don't think I was in the mood to watch it, and it didn't seem like it was going to end; so long). But I'm planning on picking up Himizu, which wasn't on my radar when it was showing in my local independant cinema, but the LWLies review quickly remedied that. Shame I hadn't read it before it ended it's run there. If I enjoy it, I will almost certainly revisit Love Exposure and more from Sion Sono.

I'd very much be up for some Shunji Iwai stuff heading to Blu-ray, and suggested as much in the Eureka thread not so long ago.
Old 07-28-2012, 02:23 AM   #12
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2011
UK

Quote:
I won't bother mentioning the obvious classics (Kurosawa, Ozu, Mizoguchi etc.) but, recently, I've been really impressed with Taiwanese cinema. Yi Yi and A Brighter Summer Day are two of the best films I've ever seen and, although some find him deadly boring, I think Hou Hsiao-Hsien's works, specifically A City of Sadness, are up there as well. Tsai Ming-liang isn't quite up there for me but his first four films are still brilliant. I'm not too familiar with Chinese films but I loved Yellow Earth. I've also saw way too few Korean films but I thought A Bittersweet Life was one of the best films of the 00s.

(Relatively) Recent Japanese filmmakers that have impressed me are Shunji Iwai (Love Letter, April Story), Makoto Shinkai (5cm per second) and the late Shinji Somai, though Typhoon Club is the only film of his I managed to see. And I really liked Sion Sono's Love Exposure and can't wait for the Blu!
Some very good stuff listed there Calvin! I've seen most, but will check out the others soon.

I just watched Himizu and am really pleased to say it is Sono on top form. I really disliked Guilty of Romance and was worried this would be a hard slog to get through too. It was the opposite and reminded me quite a lot of Love Exposure (which is a very good thing).

Very, very good.
Old 07-28-2012, 02:32 AM   #13
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2012
A little bit of here....a little bit of there.....

Too excited for Tetsuo...once I saw those covers...I swear a little tear ran down my face!!! Day 1!!!
Old 07-28-2012, 02:49 AM   #14
Special Member

Dec 2011
The Stretford End

Cover 5 is awesome
Old 07-30-2012, 12:49 PM   #15
Power Member

Aug 2007
Estonia

Cover art for Tetsuo:

Trailer:

Last edited by rezpekt; 07-30-2012 at 12:53 PM.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:04 PM   #16
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2012
A little bit of here....a little bit of there.....

Out of any movie I could think to get the steelbook treatment it'd be Tetsuo...iron=steel!!!

p.s. I'm a dork...I know!!!
Old 08-09-2012, 08:13 PM   #17
Special Member

Aug 2011
UK

Quote:
Nice thread mate. These guys don't get enough love.

Cover #5 gets the nod from me. Although I'd really like them to use the Japanese that is visible on the poster (?) that's being used as a placeholder on here.
Same!

Also i've heard Himizu is fantastic, does anyone agree?

I've only watched a few Asian movies so i'm not really in the know.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:53 PM   #18

Jun 2012

I haven't seen it so i can only really comment on Sono in general and the trailer which didn't really do much to impress me. Third Window seem to have a bit of a hard on for Sono but frankly i've found him to be a bit hit and miss. Love Exposure is great if you have the time (4 hour long movie), but Cold Fish fell flat, and there's no point picking up Guilty Of Romance because 30 minutes are cut out of the UK version (which i'm assuming is the reason Third Window didn't pick it up). If you're looking for a starting point from the Third Window catalog Confessions would be my recommendation.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:57 PM   #19
Special Member

Aug 2011
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by rewak View Post
I haven't seen it so i can only really comment on Sono in general and the trailer which didn't really do much to impress me. Third Window seem to have a bit of a hard on for Sono but frankly i've found him to be a bit hit and miss. Love Exposure is great if you have the time (4 hour long movie), but Cold Fish fell flat, and there's no point picking up Guilty Of Romance because 30 minutes are cut out of the UK version (which i'm assuming is the reason Third Window didn't pick it up). If you're looking for a starting point from the Third Window catalog Confessions would be my recommendation.
Thanks!

Confessions & Love Exposure added to my HUGE Wishlist!
Old 08-09-2012, 09:47 PM   #20
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2011
Old Hill, West Midlands
Send a message via AIM to mattyl149

I have quite a few of their DVDs, but apart from Himizu, and the ones I have pre-ordered, I don't have any of their blus, so I have just ordered Kamikaze Girls. I will get Confessions, Cold Fish and Memories Of Matsuko when they drop to about 8-9

I love this label, and may have to get some of the other DVDs I am missing
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland