Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Mad Max Anthology (Blu-ray)
$47.87
Star Wars: Rebels - Complete Season One (Blu-ray)
$29.99
The Walking Dead: Seasons 1-4 (Blu-ray)
$68.99
The Originals: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$27.99
Hammer Horror Classics, Volume 1 (Blu-ray)
$38.47
Team America: World Police (Blu-ray)
$9.98
Escape from Alcatraz (Blu-ray)
$9.98
We Are Still Here (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Space Dandy: Season 2 (Blu-ray)
$37.39
Scorpion: Season One (Blu-ray)
$39.95
The Vampire Diaries: The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland

Old 08-24-2015, 05:53 PM   #1

Oct 2008
Default Space 1999 season 2 Blu-ray Amazon pre-order

Space: 1999 - The Complete Second Series Blu-ray

24 episodes
1.33 OAR
Original mono or new 5.1 soundtracks.

• Music-only tracks on all episodes
• Unexposed: Behind the Scenes of Series Two - filming The Mark of Archanon
• Stock Footage Archive: alternate takes and unused shots
• Production Audio: original source recordings for material from four episodes
• Cosmos: 1999: a stop-motion fan film from 1979
• Martin Landau: in-depth interview from 1994
• Archive Interviews with cast and crew
• Seed of Destruction: the series two episode re-edited and re-scored as if it were made for series one
• Outtake: a blooper featured in It'll Be All Right on the Night
• Trailers and promos: contemporary promotional material for the UK and US
• Behind the Scenes - Model Shop: footage taken during The AB Chrysalis - with Brian Johnson commentary
• Clean series two titles
• Image galleries of rare and previously unseen stills
• Script and annual PDFs

Network exclusive packaging

http://networkonair.com/shop/2285-sp...y-pre-buy.html

it's a little pricey but I've preordered mine.

Last edited by Deciazulado; 08-29-2015 at 09:08 AM.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:57 PM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2011

Some awesome extras. Some very exciting stuff here. They've got Cosmos:1999 - the stop-motion animation film from 1979! I was hoping and praying they would get that but I wasn't expecting them to. Amazing!

The price is very expensive though for the limited edition. $95 USD!! Ouch! That's almost as expensive as the 3-season set of Lost in Space I have pre-ordered. What's so special about the limited edition other than the box art? Is that a slipcase for the limited edition or some other material? Is the disc storage the same? Is the content of the discs the exact same for both versions? No details and no larger images to click on to see the back. Is the limited edition just a sleeve? If so I'm not interested in paying immediately for it and the standard set could go for much cheaper on Amazon. How much will Amazon charge for the standard edition? If the Amazon price is significantly cheaper and the only difference is the box art, then I don't care about the limited edition. Not for $100 I don't.

Why does the standard edition have to have such awful artwork? At least the sleeve would cover up the awful front art.

Also - shame that it's region B. So US fans can have year 1 from Network but not year 2 without a region-free player. Not cool.

There's no mention of a booklet like year 1. Does year 2 come with a booklet? And is it exclusive to the limited edition?

One more thought - I hope year 2 doesn't have a blue vertical line on the extreme right edge of the screen like year 1 has on both US and UK releases.

Last edited by mar3o; 08-24-2015 at 10:50 PM.
Old 08-25-2015, 08:21 AM   #3
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2009
Bristol, England

Wow that's a lot of questions, pretty sure no one here knows anymore than what is posted on their site but looks to me its purely the slipcover so if you don't care about that then just wait until the price drops.

Last edited by Indiana Jones; 08-25-2015 at 08:27 AM.
Old 08-25-2015, 11:31 AM   #4

Jan 2013

I think I picked up Season 1 from a recent Network sale and it was around 14. I know it's been cheaper lately too. I did buy the set ages ago from Play, but the box was damaged so it was sent back and I didn't get a replacement at the time.

In terms of Season 2, I didn't enjoy it as much when I was young (first and second runs on TV) - as the tone changed a lot. It felt like a very different series.

However, I'll add this to my collection, but not at this price point... it seems pretty high. Somewhere in the region of 25 and I'd consider it now - but it looks like I'll just hold fire and see where the price point is in 6 or 9 months.
Old 08-25-2015, 12:58 PM   #5
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2011
West Sussex, UK
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek_1999 View Post
I think I picked up Season 1 from a recent Network sale and it was around 14. I know it's been cheaper lately too. I did buy the set ages ago from Play, but the box was damaged so it was sent back and I didn't get a replacement at the time.

In terms of Season 2, I didn't enjoy it as much when I was young (first and second runs on TV) - as the tone changed a lot. It felt like a very different series.

However, I'll add this to my collection, but not at this price point... it seems pretty high. Somewhere in the region of 25 and I'd consider it now - but it looks like I'll just hold fire and see where the price point is in 6 or 9 months.
What people have to remember is this is a 6 x BD boxset with a full season of episodes. In the UK you see BDs of half seasons for many shows from the likes of Showcase, HBO, Starz etc priced in the 25 to 30 range on day 1.

Therefore I feel we are unlikely to see anyone selling for less than 50 on day 1 especially as the srp for the set is 79.99 according to DigitalBits.
Old 08-25-2015, 05:30 PM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Jones View Post
Wow that's a lot of questions, pretty sure no one here knows anymore than what is posted on their site but looks to me its purely the slipcover so if you don't care about that then just wait until the price drops.
Sure, that's a lot of questions. That's also a lot of money. A lot. It would be nice to know exactly what we're getting in a so-called limited-edition. It looks like just the slipcover. Hardly worth spending extra money on IMO.

I'm very excited for this set but this is very expensive for a single season of anything. In fact, this might be the most expensive single season of anything I've ever purchased.
Old 08-25-2015, 08:53 PM   #7
Banned

Aug 2015

Most people on the internet are saying this is expensive and they will wait for a sale but compared to when Year One came out on bluray and dvd before that and even on VHS this is a good deal although I fail to see how Network expect to entice people with a slipcover.
I'd wait to see what Amazon will charge. You might get it cheaper, you don't have to pay a month before it comes out and if you're a Prime customer you'll likely get it before Network post theirs out.

This is the first ITC series Bluray since The Persuaders in 2011. I suspect the level of success of this title will be important in Networks decision on whether to go forth with further ITC or Gerry Anderson titles on Bluray.
If everyone waits for a sale you may never see a UK Bluray of UFO
Old 08-25-2015, 09:07 PM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2011

These days $95 USD for a single season of anything is outrageous. It makes the most sense to see what Amazon will charge for the pre-order of the standard release. As you said, a slipcover is a weak way to entice people to get the limited edition. If the LE included something really special, then I bet a lot of fans would jump at it, because Space:1999 fans tend to be very passionate about the series. But as much as I love it (even season 2), a slipcase is not going to get me to pay a month in advance for it and pay more for it too.

People shouldn't have to pay this much up-front just because they're afraid that Network might get the wrong idea and not release future ITC shows if pre-orders aren't big enough. Network should understand that A) this is a hugely expensive release, and B) the Limited Edition includes nothing different other than a slipcover.

Also, there are many fans who don't like year 2 or at least don't love it as much as year 1 and those fans won't want to spend as much on year 2 as they might have for year 1. Myself, I love year 1 more, but I still love year 2 enough that I'll pick this up. I'm thrilled that they put together such a nice set, but being realistic, I have to consider how I'm going to be able to afford this with other pre-orders like Lost in Space already out there.
Old 08-25-2015, 10:06 PM   #9
Banned

Aug 2015

I think it's becoming clear in the US and UK that buyers just don't want to pay the necessary prices that distributors need to make it worth their while to pay what must be quite high costs for restoration and remastering of various shows and movies.
The ever increasing list of new releases as Limited Editions I think shows that companies want their outlay returned in the quickest possible time.

But over the last few years we've been spoilt with sales and even Network themselves are guilty of devaluing their own product.

Look today on Network for Space 1999. Year One 12 , year 2 60.
Who can blame people for waiting?
I think this release is a tad too high to make people excited.
I think 50 for the Blu and 35 for the dvd would have been just about right to get people excited about the release but these current prices are an instant turn off for most.

I forsee the day when all releases like this are Limited Edition website exclusives- but even then it won't convince people to shell out thanks to Network flogging off the LE Supermarionation boxset for half price
Old 08-26-2015, 01:57 AM   #10
Expert Member

Sep 2013
UK

It's cost Network to restore these, other shows have off the shelf masters to use. Comparing it to Year 1 isn't fair either, that's been out for years. They've recouped their costs for that one and now can offer people a bargain. That's something to be grateful for, not used as ammunition against their pricing structure.

Network have priced this at a level they feel they need to recoup costs. By all means, wait for sales but if they make a loss on this you can be damned sure this is the final Anderson or maybe even ITC restoration they ever release.
Old 08-26-2015, 02:24 AM   #11

May 2010
Canada

You can say what you will about justifying Networks price point with season 2.
However not everyone resides in the U.K. I live in Canada, and at the current exchange rate which is almost 2:1, my cost to purchase would be almost $120 dollars! for one single season? no way, I did order the bringers of wonder release which was excellent, but I would not pay that much for the inferior season 2, sorry!
Old 08-26-2015, 08:38 PM   #12
Banned

Aug 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddbox83 View Post
Comparing it to Year 1 isn't fair either, that's been out for years.
But people will compare it and nobody can blame them for waiting. 60 is a bit high. I think 50 would have generated quicker sales. 60 may well result in far less sales and a slower return.
It's a day one purchase for me but I'm waiting to see what Amazon say. Disappointed that Network couldn't find something better to make the LE version more worthwhile. Who cares about a slipcover?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy_Batty View Post
You can say what you will about justifying Networks price point with season 2.
However not everyone resides in the U.K. I live in Canada, and at the current exchange rate which is almost 2:1, my cost to purchase would be almost $120 dollars! for one single season? no way, I did order the bringers of wonder release which was excellent, but I would not pay that much for the inferior season 2, sorry!
Well you won't be able to watch it then.
You'd be better hanging on for a US release which is sure to turn up eventually but as we see with Shouts Blu of Thunderbirds there is no guarantee that the bonus features on the Network set will find their way onto a US release.
Old 08-27-2015, 11:19 AM   #13
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2009
Bristol, England

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminycricket View Post
But people will compare it and nobody can blame them for waiting. 60 is a bit high. I think 50 would have generated quicker sales. 60 may well result in far less sales and a slower return.
It's a day one purchase for me but I'm waiting to see what Amazon say. Disappointed that Network couldn't find something better to make the LE version more worthwhile. Who cares about a slipcover?
A fair few people if the slipcover section of this forum is anything to go by, some that have Series 1 with the slip don't want to risk missing out on one for Series 2 so will pay the 60 price.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:15 PM   #14
Banned

Aug 2015

Quote:
A fair few people if the slipcover section of this forum is anything to go by, some that have Series 1 with the slip don't want to risk missing out on one for Series 2 so will pay the 60 price.
Although the Disney forum seems to be filled with odd posts that seem to spend more time on slipcovers than the movies themselves from people who will buy a film multiple times just to get the slipcovers that some people throw away I didn't think Network customers were that type.
Even the Disney titles are usually the same price as a regular edition but the impression is that the LE might be higher for the slip version than the much awaited Amazon price.

But regardless of that , something more worthwhile like a bonus disc of content would have ensured plenty of people would have already snapped it up.
Some people have admitted ordering already but none I've seen have said it was to make sure they got the slipcover.
For me at least , the design on the slip is worse than the standard edition but I wonder if the standard art will be there anyway with the slip covering it or whether the standard art won't be on the LE at all.
Old 08-28-2015, 08:56 AM   #15
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2009
Bristol, England

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminycricket View Post
Although the Disney forum seems to be filled with odd posts that seem to spend more time on slipcovers than the movies themselves from people who will buy a film multiple times just to get the slipcovers that some people throw away I didn't think Network customers were that type.
Even the Disney titles are usually the same price as a regular edition but the impression is that the LE might be higher for the slip version than the much awaited Amazon price.

But regardless of that , something more worthwhile like a bonus disc of content would have ensured plenty of people would have already snapped it up.
Some people have admitted ordering already but none I've seen have said it was to make sure they got the slipcover.
For me at least , the design on the slip is worse than the standard edition but I wonder if the standard art will be there anyway with the slip covering it or whether the standard art won't be on the LE at all.
Not on here but I have seen someone state elsewhere they put a pre-order in to ensure they get a copy with slip so it matches their Series 1 BD.

As for the artwork I am sure it will be the same as Series 1 so regular release underneath which just the slip featuring the different artwork, means they only have to create a single set.
Old 08-28-2015, 04:47 PM   #16
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2011
West Sussex, UK
-
-

Now listed by Amazon Space: 1999 - The Complete Second Series Blu-ray but as usual they have started price at full rrp of 79.99

Last edited by Deciazulado; 08-29-2015 at 08:44 AM.
Old 08-29-2015, 05:51 AM   #17
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2011

Well this was a difficult decision for me. I'm a huge fan of both seasons and have been all my life. I never thought they would follow through with year 2. But that price - ouch! I figured I'd wait to see what Amazon lists it as. Double ouch!!

So shipping to the US, the price from Amazon would have been $123.17 USD before shipping! Insane! And that's for the standard edition (not like there's any actual difference anyways). The pre-buy price from Network is $89.43 USD with shipping for the limited edition. Now, I don't know just how much Amazon will drop the price before release date, but that's a pretty expensive starting point, and for all I know, it will end up costing as much as or more than the Network price is now by release date. Sure, I could always wait, but there's always that fear that maybe stock will run low and I won't get a copy later (which is what they want you to think).

So as expensive as it is, I love the series too much to miss out, so I did the pre-buy on Network. I swear this is the last time i buy this series on home video.

Also - no mention of a booklet with this release. Year 1 specifically mentioned the commemorative booklet which was packed with detailed production notes on all year1 episodes. For this price, year 2 should really come with another nice booklet. I'm hoping it will, but then why wouldn't they list it?
Old 08-29-2015, 08:55 AM   #18
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2009
Bristol, England

It's very likely the Amazon price will drop to 50-60 before release.
Old 08-30-2015, 04:16 AM   #19
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2011

Quote:
It's very likely the Amazon price will drop to 50-60 before release.
Maybe, maybe not, but ordering from the US, the cost for the Network limited edition set came to just over 50, before shipping, so if Amazon's price might end up dropping to 50-60, it made sense to just get the limited edition now. If we're lucky, the Amazon price might drop to what the Network pre-buy price is now. There was no point in waiting. And either way I have to pay for shipping to the US.
Old 08-30-2015, 01:14 PM   #20

Jul 2011
Tampa FL area

I just placed a order for the set without batting a eye. Price means nothing to me, been waiting for years and even just placed a order for a Sony BD player that will play this disc set. I already have 4 BD players and it will replace my slow Pioneer Elite 05 FD BD player.
Panasonic 60vt60
Pioneer EliteSC61- Pioneer Elite DV-59AVI
Pioneer Elite 05FD
Pioneer 51FD
2 OPPO83'S Two S-VHS vcr's
SVS SB12 NSD
Paradigm 490cc
B&W CM10 S2's Acurus 200x3
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland