Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Willow (Blu-ray)
$9.96
James Cameron's Deepsea Challenge 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.89
28 Days Later / 28 Weeks Later (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.96
John Carter (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Hentai Prince & the Stony Cat: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$32.99
Star Trek: The Compendium (Blu-ray)
$24.96
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.99
Psycho (Blu-ray)
$10.98
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$15.92
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.76
Minority Report (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Prom Night (Blu-ray)
$17.30
Planet of the Vampires (Blu-ray)
$19.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland

Old 06-19-2013, 04:28 PM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2011
UK
United Kingdom The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey Extended Edition (November 4th, 2013) Pre-orders

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey 3D Blu-ray Steelbook

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey 3D Blu-ray

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - Extended Edition

Released November 4th 2013.

Quote:
The new Extended Cut includes 13 minutes of extra film footage that extends individual scenes, making this the must-see, definitive version for fans. All disc versions of the Extended Edition include nearly nine hours of new bonus features.

"I'm thrilled that the Extended Edition will give fans the opportunity to experience certain key scenes in the film as they were originally shot, as well as an abundance of special features," said Jackson. "It's exciting to present this expanded and enriched version of An Unexpected Journey to allow fans to fully immerse themselves in the movie, before seeing the second part of the trilogy."

Tech specs have yet to be fully detailed, but are expected to be revealed soon. Cover art is final. Special features available on both the 2D and 3D releases of the Extended Edition include:

The Filmmakers' Commentary - Director/writer/producer Peter Jackson and writer/co-producer Philippa Boyens provide their perspective and stories on creating the first film.

New Zealand: Home of Middle-Earth - From Matamata to Queenstown, travel with Peter Jackson and his team across the stunning locations of New Zealand, transformed by the filmmakers into Middle-Earth.

The Appendices Part 7: A Long-Expected Journey - A 14-part chronological history of the filming of An Unexpected Journey, covering pre-production in the various departments of the film in the months leading up to the start of principal photography, the boot camp training for the main cast, and the work done on set chronologically through the three shooting blocks and in the world of its digital effects. Chapters include:

The Journey Back to Middle-Earth
Riddles in the Dark: Gollum's Cave
An Unexpected Party: Bag End
Roast Mutton: Trollshaws Forest
Bastion of the Greenwood: Rhosgobel
A Short Rest: Rivendell and London
Over Hill: The Misty Mountains
Under Hill: Goblin Town
Out of the Frying Pan: The Forest Ledge
Return to Hobbiton: The Shire
The Epic of Scene 88: Strath Taieri
The Battle of Moria: Azanulbizar
Edge of the Wilderland: Pick-ups and the Carrock
Home Is Behind, the World Is Ahead

The Appendices Part 8: Return to Middle-Earth - Another selection of documentaries and featurettes await, further detailing the development, design and production of An Unexpected Journey:

The Company of Thorin - Explores the characters and backgrounds of the five families of dwarves and the company of actors chosen to play Thorin's company on the Quest of the Lonely Mountain. Chapters include:

Assembling the Dwarves
Thorin, Fili & Kili
Balin & Dwalin
Oin & Gloin
Dori, Nori & Ori
Bifur, Bofur & Bombur

Mr. Baggins: The 14th Member - A revealing look at the film's charismatic and talented lead actor, Martin Freeman.

Durin's Folk: Creating the Dwarves - Reveals the journey and process of designing, conceptualizing and physically realizing the dwarves in The Hobbit.

The Peoples and Denizens of Middle-Earth - Focuses on the realization of new characters and creatures encountered in the first film, from casting to characterization to physical and digital design. Chapters include:

The Stone Trolls
Radagast the Brown
Goblins
Azog the Defiler

Realms of the Third Age: From Bag End to Goblin Town - Follows the creation of the Middle-Earth locations from conceptual design to set and prop building to fully digital realities. Realms explored include:

Hobbiton
Rhosgobel
The Misty Mountains
Goblin Town

The Songs of The Hobbit - A look at the realization of Tolkien's songs in An Unexpected Journey.
Other countries are getting a Weta statue version, much like the LOTR:EE boxsets. Hopefully it will pop up for sale through a UK retailer soon.

Last edited by Buddy Ackerman; 08-11-2013 at 02:44 PM.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:51 PM   #2

Jan 2013

Fingers crossed for 3D too, with more special features
Old 06-19-2013, 04:56 PM   #3
Special Member

Jan 2010

I'm hoping for Dwarven Sentinel statues (as seen outside Erebor) as bookends for the WETA piece.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:02 PM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2011
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurayoliver View Post
Fingers crossed for 3D too, with more special features
Both are as good as certain. The Digital Bits confirmed the 3D version with Warners back in March, the additional extras (the meaty documentaries and in-depth commentarues) are part and parcel of the Extended Editions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnDoor View Post
I'm hoping for Dwarven Sentinel statues (as seen outside Erebor) as bookends for the WETA piece.
Ooh, nice idea! I'd love that - then I could have each trilogy presented with 'matching' bookends (though it the DVD EEs of LOTR that are on display with the Argonath statues in my flat - the blu-ray boxset just didn't look right).

Speaking of which, I hope they carry over a version of the 'book' packaging they had for LOTR. It really suited it.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:06 PM   #5
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2010
Wales

The special-features will have to be amazing for me to buy part one again. I wouldn't mind seeing a condensed film once part three is finished. Some of part one was just torture to get through, I enjoyed it but it was a terrible disappointment compared to The Fellowship of the Ring.
"Sometimes it scares me how far away my brain is." DC
"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." AE
''I have no idea what Hammer Time is. Or how it differs from regular time.'' DM
Old 06-19-2013, 05:07 PM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2011
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip75 View Post
The special-features will have to be amazing for me to buy part one again. I wouldn't mind seeing a condensed film once part three is finished. Some of part one was just torture to get through, I enjoyed it but it was a terrible disappointment compared to The Fellowship of the Ring.
What do you mean by "condensed film"? You mean like a fan edit?
Old 06-19-2013, 05:08 PM   #7
Special Member

Jan 2010

If they mirror the DVD EE packaging, I'm interested to see what colour they'll go with. The deluxe album and merchandise suggests some kind of autumnal colouring - brown and gold.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:15 PM   #8
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2008
York, somewhere else in England

Hopefully the extended edition will be sold in 2D as well (you would think it was a given but you're never too sure when it comes to Warner Bros.) otherwise I'll probably just get the original cut which will hopefully be cheaper by the time.
Remaining Films of 2014 I'll check out: Nightcrawler. Mr. Turner. Interstellar. The Drop. The Imitation Game. The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1. Horrible Bosses 2. Men, Women and Children. The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies. Dumb and Dumber To. Exodus: Gods and Kings. Big Eyes. Unbroken.
Best Films of the Year so far: Boyhood. Calvary. Frank. Godzilla. Gone Girl. The Rover. The Raid 2. The LEGO Movie. Under the Skin.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:17 PM   #9
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy Ackerman View Post
What do you mean by "condensed film"? You mean like a fan edit?
Something more official than that. I know it will never happen. I saw The Keep the other day and it had whole chunks cut out of Michael Mann's original cut so it was almost incomprehensible unless you'd read the book beforehand. I think you could cut a lot out of The Hobbit and still have a decent story. The scenes in the Shire went on and on trying to introduce characters who's name I couldn't remember five minutes later. It was all nicely done but it just dragged on for me personally.

Saying that whenever I watch Batman Begins I skip ahead to Bruce been picked up by Alfred in the Wayne Enterprises jet. I can't stand the stuff before it. I felt he went around the World to learn how to be Batman and the Batmobile and all his gear is basically in the sub-basement of Wayne Enterprises? Bollocks.
"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." AE
Old 06-19-2013, 05:35 PM   #10
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2009
Bristol, England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foggy View Post
Hopefully the extended edition will be sold in 2D as well (you would think it was a given but you're never too sure when it comes to Warner Bros.) otherwise I'll probably just get the original cut which will hopefully be cheaper by the time.
I think that's a given, there was more uncertainly over whether the EE would be released in 3D.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:46 PM   #11
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2010
Southampton, England
Send a message via MSN to The Apocalypse

I nearly bought the theatrical edition several times, but as with LOTR, this one is the one to go for. So, when it releases, I'll be sure to pick it up.
PS4 PSN ID: Evangelion_60

"Nothing can stop the Apocalypse!"
Old 06-19-2013, 06:31 PM   #12
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2011
UK

Quote:
Something more official than that. I know it will never happen. I saw The Keep the other day and it had whole chunks cut out of Michael Mann's original cut so it was almost incomprehensible unless you'd read the book beforehand. I think you could cut a lot out of The Hobbit and still have a decent story. The scenes in the Shire went on and on trying to introduce characters who's name I couldn't remember five minutes later. It was all nicely done but it just dragged on for me personally.

Saying that whenever I watch Batman Begins I skip ahead to Bruce been picked up by Alfred in the Wayne Enterprises jet. I can't stand the stuff before it. I felt he went around the World to learn how to be Batman and the Batmobile and all his gear is basically in the sub-basement of Wayne Enterprises? Bollocks.
Haha! As much as I enjoy Batman Begins, I like your blunt summary of its opening section as "bollocks".

I see what you mean about The Hobbit. Personally, I love it and can't get my head around why, of all the scenes, people say that the Shire/Bag-End scenes went on to long when, for me, every single second of that was a joy and the closest to the original book. But there we go.

As it is, I honestly - even with my obvious bias removed - believe that An Unexpected Journey will fare much better when the trilogy is complete and it becomes part one of a story as opposed to an individual film (though I still love it as the latter). What seem to be dragging bits now (for instance, the Dol Guldur and White Council stuff) may end up looking much better when we've seen where it goes. Likewise, the introduction of characters that you mention above may be easier to take when you've followed the characters to the end of their journey.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:14 PM   #13
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy Ackerman View Post
As it is, I honestly - even with my obvious bias removed - believe that An Unexpected Journey will fare much better when the trilogy is complete and it becomes part one of a story as opposed to an individual film (though I still love it as the latter).
I agree with you on that 100% but the wait for the entire story is too much!
Old 06-19-2013, 08:16 PM   #14
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2011
UK

Quote:
I agree with you on that 100% but the wait for the entire story is too much!
It's sad that I only have to glance at my phone screen for this but... only 546 days to go until There and Back Again!
Old 06-19-2013, 08:36 PM   #15

Jul 2012

I'll pass on this.

I found the theatrical release long and drawn out enough...it was painfully slow in places.

LotR extended editions were great, but that's because there was so much content...This trilogy could have probably been done in one movie.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:09 PM   #16
Special Member

Jun 2010
Devon, UK
-
-

Whoop. Really hoping this adds to the film as I think it needs some extra footage. The TE was alright but it certainly was Jacksons finest hour imho.
Pre-Ordered Blu-rays:
Nothing...
Films I'm Waiting For:
Munich, Harold and Kumar Get the Munchies, Dude Where's My Car?, Crank, The Village, Bad Boys 2, Rush Hour 2, Stargate SG-1: Seasons 1-10
My Film Ratings: IMDb
Amarays rule!!!
Old 06-19-2013, 10:13 PM   #17

Mar 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natty View Post
Whoop. Really hoping this adds to the film as I think it needs some extra footage. The TE was alright but it certainly was Jacksons finest hour imho.
what extra footage are you hoping for? i think that more will only make the story even more unrecognisable. unless footage from the actual book was left out lol
Best Films I've Watched For The 1st Time This Year:The Way Way Back, Dan In Real Life, You're Next, The Help, City Of God, Rush, Captain Phillips, Gravity, Catching Fire, Philomena, Grave Of The Fireflies, Walter Mitty, The Desolation Of Smaug, 12 Years a Slave, The Wolf Of Wall Street, Prisoners, All Is Lost, Dallas Buyers Club, Her, The Spectacular Now, Under The Skin, Enemy, Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes, Divergent, The Skin I Live In, Enough Said, Guardians Of The Galaxy, Transcendence

Last edited by nuttyhotspurs; 06-19-2013 at 10:22 PM.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:15 PM   #18
Blu-ray Champion

Dec 2011
Norn Iron

I have the 3D release and I enjoyed it although I agree with others that it could have been made shorter so an extended edition won't interest me.
I still only own the TC of the LOTR trilogy.
Film=Priority,Packaging=Not really bothered.

I spent a lot of money on booze,bird's and fast cars.
The rest I just squandered...............George Best.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:18 PM   #19
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2011
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuttyhotspurs View Post
what extra footage are you hoping for?
The bit I'm most excited about it seeing Bilbo react to Rivendell - him falling in love with it is essential to his final fate and the theatrical edition scrimped on it. Seeing him approach the Shards of Narsil in the first trailer gave me goosebumps so I was disappointed it never made it in - the perfect, subtle foreshadowing and hearing Bilbo and Elrond converse over it is an exciting prospect.

I'm also looking forward to the child Bilbo/Gandalf scenes (though if they go into the middle of their meeting I can understand why they would be cut), more of Bilbo in the Shire before the Unexpected Party and extra of the goblin scribe who was a fantastically designed creature.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:36 PM   #20
Power Member

Mar 2013
Hants, UK

I do wish people wouldn't keep comparing the storylines of The Hobbit and The Fellowship of the Ring because they're clearly not comparable. Personally I much prefer young Bilbo and the company of Dwarves and there were too many Hobbits in The Lord Of The Rings. The best thing about The Hobbit is that we get to know THE Hobbit who started this all, and in my opinion Tolkien's strongest character. I really enjoyed the film and welcome an extended cut - my entire reason for ignoring the initial release was to wait for the eventual Extended Trilogy much like I did with The Lord Of The Rings - would be nicer, and better for them, if they made these extended versions volumes of sorts and they would go inside a collectable box that would either come with the first or third film, or separately, so we could collect all three extended versions together without having to wait 3 years for an eventual boxset. Of course it would take a logistical leap on the distributors part but would be a great touch, and even an incentive to collect and purchase each volume as it comes out (the idea being if you have the first film and the box, you now have to fill that box with said second and third films). It's a wonder why they wouldn't do that with these films as they probably could pull it off pretty well and they have plenty of time to do it, and now there isn't a riff-raff about platforms - as I had said I updated my extended edition VHS's of LOTR, which I had bought each year they had originally been released, to blu-ray just this year, so obviously there were VHS, DVD and Blu-Ray editions of the extended versions about. Now it's just DVD and Blu-Ray, and I can see DVD perhaps dying out by the end of the decade unless there's a financial means for it (i.e. may be cheaper to release some films on DVD, I know Artificial Eye tend to do that).
Pre-orders: THE KILLING FIELDS (1984), EYES WITHOUT A FACE (1960), SPIONE (1928), THE THIEF OF BAGDAD (1924), THE ROVER (2014), NIGHT MOVES (2013), BOYHOOD (2014)

TBA: GONE GIRL (2014), DRAGON INN (1967), THIEF (1981), DAY OF ANGER (1967), MIDNIGHT RUN (1988)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland