Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Continuum: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Fantastic Mr. Fox (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole / Hugo (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Grindhouse (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Da Vinci's Demons: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$27.99
Bates Motel: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Rushmore (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Parts 1 & 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Under The Sea / Deep Sea (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Royal Tenenbaums (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Darjeeling Limited (Blu-ray)
$19.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland

Old 07-14-2009, 09:48 PM   #1
Contributor

Aug 2007
USA
United Kingdom Eureka/Masters of Cinema (MoC) Discussion Thread

Much like the Criterion thread, this thread is dedicated to the discussion of "The Masters of Cinema Series" by Eureka UK. Check this OP to see new updates.
MoC Official Website
MoC Blu-ray Page
MoC Twitter Page
MoC Facebook Page
Current Sale
Early Blu-ray Orders

Email Contact: customer@eurekavideo.co.uk or Kevin@eurekavideo.co.uk
Eureka Insider: Kevin

Masters of Cinema Collection

Eureka Classics

**All titles are listed by release date (newest to oldest).
Supporter of Anime and Asian Cinema on Blu-ray
AVC & Dolby TrueHD supporter
Worldwide BR Release Comparison Thread

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 07-11-2014 at 07:17 AM.
Thanks given by:
Mansinthe (08-21-2014)
Old 07-15-2009, 03:26 PM   #2

Oct 2008
UK

Thanks, interesting thread. Just to satisfy my curiosity, why no #4 or #6?
Old 07-15-2009, 03:31 PM   #3
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2008
Rhode Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt865 View Post
They probably just haven't been announced, yet, would be my guess. Disc #1 hasn't even been released, yet, either... only #2 and #3 so far.

I really wanted to get the whole series, but I just can't see buying "For All Mankind" now that Criterion's version is out. Except for MOC's booklet, I believe both discs are identical.

CC
"I have no religion. I don't belong to any faith. I don't need a god, salvation or eternal life. I'm my own god, I supply my own angels and demons." - Riten

"In truth, I am but a poor jester in this farce of dark shadows." - Gycklarnas afton

"Life is merely a cruel and sensual arc from cradle to grave." - Fängelse

Last edited by ccfixx; 07-15-2009 at 03:33 PM.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:23 PM   #4
Power Member

Aug 2007
Estonia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt865 View Post
Not announced yet. #5 and #7 will be released in November which is 4 months away. "La tête contre les murs" should be one of those two.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:53 AM   #5
Palisades Tartan

Nov 2008
Buckinghamshire, U.K.
United Kingdom

ccfixx - you clearly have multi-region capability. For those of us in Region B, this edition is a BOON, since Criterion region-lock their Blus.

Roll on more Criterions duped by MoC I say!
Hugh K. David
UK Media Consultant - Palisades Tartan
Industry Insider & Professional Geek

N.B. In this forum, I am free to express my own personal opinions, as well as to discuss the views and positions of my employers. I will make divisions between the two clear to other members when I post.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:24 PM   #6

Nov 2008
Austria

I cannot wait for Sunrise!
Since Kino owns the rights for this beautiful film in the US and we'll never get a Criterion treatement, the MoC release will be the most complete package for a long time.

Last edited by KENTA; 07-17-2009 at 12:28 PM.
Old 07-17-2009, 07:57 PM   #7
Blu-ray reviewer

Jul 2007
X
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh K. David View Post
Roll on more Criterions duped by MoC I say!

Pro-B
Old 07-19-2009, 12:29 AM   #8
Power Member

Aug 2007
Estonia

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezpekt View Post
Not announced yet. #5 and #7 will be released in November which is 4 months away. "La tête contre les murs" should be one of those two.
I was wrong. DVD is coming in September but no BD release.
Old 07-19-2009, 03:46 PM   #9
Palisades Tartan

Nov 2008
Buckinghamshire, U.K.
United Kingdom

We don't have anyone from Eureka here on the forums do we? I was just thinking, we should be suggesting to them what we would like to see. I realise some licenses that Criterion do are held in the UK by the BFI, Arrow, Optimum and sometimes others, but you never know...
Hugh K. David

N.B. In this forum, I am free to express my own personal opinions, as well as to discuss the views and positions of my employers. I will make divisions between the two clear to other members when I post.
Old 07-19-2009, 07:49 PM   #10
Blu-ray reviewer

Jul 2007
X
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh K. David View Post
We don't have anyone from Eureka here on the forums do we?
I am in touch with their fantastic team

Pro-B
Old 07-19-2009, 07:56 PM   #11
Contributor

Aug 2007
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist View Post
I am in touch with their fantastic team

Pro-B
Pro-B
Has anyone at Eureka expressed an interest in acquiring the license for the Japanese film Okuribito (Departures)? Noone in the UK has the rights (which I find weird considering it won an Oscar), and they are the only ones who I think could do justice for this movie (with the exception of Criterion & since I don't know if Regency is going to release a US version). A BR version of this movie would be beautiful

/hopethisisn'tofftopic

Last edited by AnimeOnBlu; 07-23-2009 at 02:40 AM.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:56 PM   #12

Jun 2009

Wish I had something more to add other than #2 and #3 are awesome transfers of awesome movies.
Old 07-19-2009, 11:17 PM   #13
Palisades Tartan

Nov 2008
Buckinghamshire, U.K.

Pro-B - excellent news! Will give this some thought, post some ideas later in the week.
Hugh K. David

Old 07-24-2009, 03:52 AM   #14
Blu-ray reviewer

Jul 2007
X
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeOnBlu View Post
Pro-B
Has anyone at Eureka expressed an interest in acquiring the license for the Japanese film Okuribito (Departures)? Noone in the UK has the rights (which I find weird considering it won an Oscar), and they are the only ones who I think could do justice for this movie (with the exception of Criterion & since I don't know if Regency is going to release a US version). A BR version of this movie would be beautiful

/hopethisisn'tofftopic
Hello,

I am sorry, I did not see your post earlier. To answer your question -- I am unaware of any such upcoming release.

Pro-B
Old 07-24-2009, 03:52 AM   #15
Blu-ray reviewer

Jul 2007
X
-
-

Quote:
This new 2009 reissue of Sunrise (for the first time anywhere in the world in 1080p HD on Blu-ray, in addition to a newly mastered 2 x DVD set) contains two versions of the film: the previously released Movietone version, and an alternate silent version of the film recently discovered in the Czech Republic. The Blu-ray edition includes both versions in 1080p HD.

The culmination of one of the greatest careers in film history, F. W. Murnau’s Sunrise blends a story of fable-like simplicity with unparalled visual imagination and technical ingenuity. Invited to Hollywood by William Fox and given total artistic freedom on any project he wished, Murnau’s tale of the idyllic marriage of a peasant couple (George O’Brien and Janet Gaynor) threatened by a Machiavellian seductress from the city (Margaret Livingston) created a milestone of film expressionism.

Made in the twilight of the silent era, it became both a swan song for a vanishing medium and one of the few films to instantly achieve legendary status. Winner of three Oscars for Best Actress (Gaynor), Cinematography, and a never-repeated award for “Unique and Artistic Picture”, its influence and stature has only grown with each passing year. The Masters of Cinema Series is proud to present a new 2xDVD and Blu-ray special edition of the film, including an all-new alternate version recently discovered in a Czech archive of a higher visual quality than any other known source.
Pro-B
Old 07-24-2009, 05:40 AM   #16
Contributor

Aug 2007
USA

I also would like to mention (since it is so small on the OP) that MoC said Fritz Lang's Metropolis will eventually be released on Blu-ray by them. They are just waiting for certain elements to be completed. I saw this on MoCs section of the Criterion Forum and thought I would pass that on.
Old 07-24-2009, 05:56 AM   #17
Blu-ray reviewer

Jul 2007
X
-
-

Thank you for the update.

Pro-B
Old 07-24-2009, 02:00 PM   #18
Power Member

Aug 2007
Estonia

The restoration of Metropolis won't be complete until January 2010 and they plan to screen it at Berlin Film Festival in February.

And the release date for Sunrise is September 21st.

Oh, and Nick from the Masters of Cinema has made some strong statements about the Blu-ray support at criterionforum.org:

Quote:
Personally, I'd like to be releasing titles on Blu-ray only right now, but it's going to take a year or two before we can do that comfortably, I think.
Quote:
Non-major labels are reporting upto a 50% split in sales between DVD and Blu-ray for titles released on both formats. This figure is quite amazing, really. The sooner this increases in favour of Blu-ray, the sooner we will solely focus on Blu-ray.

At the moment, huge amounts of our time and resources are being spent on releasing both DVD and Blu-ray editions of the same title. We could simply release more titles if we focused on one format.

I believe the main reason that Blu-ray sales are so initially strong is that DVD sales have been irretrievably hammered for years by copying and filesharing, something which is not affecting Blu-ray releases yet, and which will probably not affect Blu-ray releases for a number of years.

It's clear that Blu-ray sales are going to grow at a fair lick over the next few years, hardware prices will come down, region-free players too. On the other hand, DVD sales will stagnate further.

Releasing titles on Blu-ray only will quicken the hardware migration amongst our fanbase, whilst at the same time understandably annoy a whole bunch of people who have no intention of buying new equipment.

We're biting the bullet and pushing forward. It's a difficult transitionary period for everyone, but if we don't embrace Blu-ray, I don't think we'll be able to grow over the next 5 years.
http://www.criterionforum.org/forum/...hp?f=15&t=1582

Last edited by rezpekt; 07-24-2009 at 02:04 PM.
Old 07-28-2009, 04:36 AM   #19
Blu-ray reviewer

Jul 2007
X
-
-

Eureka/Masters of Cinema are set to release Rudolph Maté's The Black Shield of Falworth (1954) on September 21. For a short period of time the disc will be exclusive to Moviemail, then it will be sold at Amazon.UK.

Quote:
n one of his earliest and most dashing performances, a young Tony Curtis pursues his real-life bride Janet Leigh, while defending the British throne in this swashbuckling saga filled with jousts, jests and medieval super heroics

The time is England in the reign of King Henry IV, Miles (Curtis) is a headstrong, handsome peasant determined to learn the name of his slain father and discover his true heritage. His fiery ambition and swift sword lead him to the majestic MacWorth castle. There he must compete for both knighthood as well as the hand of the fair Lady Anne (Leigh), but her love is claimed by the evil, conniving Sir Walter Blount. All the while the English throne is being challenged to the death – from sinister forces within

Soon the fate of the realm, and his beloved Lady Anne, will depend upon his martial skill, but not before Miles must unlock the secret of his own shocking, mysterious identity. With its outstanding supporting cast and dazzling set design this is truly an epic tale of which legends are made!

Starring the ever charismatic, multi-award winning Tony Curtis (Some like It Hot, Smell of Sweet Success, The Defiant Ones), the OSCAR® nominated Janet Leigh (Psycho, The Manchurian Candidate) and directed by the OSCAR® nominated cinematographer Rudolph Mate.
French poster:

Pro-B
Old 07-28-2009, 09:20 AM   #20
Blu-ray Insider

Jul 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist View Post
Eureka/Masters of Cinema are set to release Rudolph Maté's The Black Shield of Falworth (1954) on September 21. For a short period of time the disc will be exclusive to Moviemail, then it will be sold at Amazon.UK.
Hi from everyone here at Eureka HQ

To clarify a few points from the above post, THE BLACK SHIELD OF FALWORTH will be a normal Eureka Blu-ray it won't be part of the Masters of Cinema series.

The Blu-ray will NOT be a Moviemail exclusive, it will be available from all major retailers/etailer from release date, it should be live to pre-order on Amazon.co.uk in the next 24-48 hours.

Here's the cover art:

Thanks,

Kevin - Eureka

Last edited by Eureka Entertainment; 07-28-2009 at 09:30 AM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland