Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, Cheap Blu-ray Movies!
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Sons of Anarchy: Complete Seasons 1-7 (Blu-ray)
£34.99
The James Bond Collection (Blu-ray)
£44.99
Marvel's Agent Carter: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
£12.99
007: The Daniel Craig Collection (Blu-ray)
£7.99
Planet of the Apes - Primal Collection (Blu-ray)
£16.99
American Horror Story: Seasons 1-3 (Blu-ray)
£19.99
Ran (Blu-ray)
£14.99
Game of Thrones: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
£18.00
Dad's Army (Blu-ray)
£13.00
Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
£12.99
Deep Red (Blu-ray)
£12.99
Life of Pi 3D (Blu-ray)
£7.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland

Old 04-26-2016, 10:05 PM   #1
Special Member

Aug 2011
Norway
Default The Official UK Silent Films Thread

Welcome to the Official UK Silent Films Thread! (dunno what's so official about it...)

Thread introduction:
[Show spoiler]
If this thread goes well, I will remove this paragraph later, or spoiler tag it away for a cleaner look, but I've been thinking about doing this for a while. I want to give full credit to jasonjl for his incredible thread here which hasn't been updated in a while. I figured making a thread for the UK forum would be fine but want to namecheck him, even though my layout will be a tad different! Hopefully this can be a place where all of us silent film enthusiasts can chat about upcoming releases, older releases and more.

I've become a huge fan of silent films over the past few years, and the Blu-ray format, this forum, and jasonjl's thread, have only furthered my passion along. Hopefully there are a few other fellow silent film fanatics out there who will find some use from this thread! Please feel free to PM me or comment any I've missed, and I hope to keep this up to date for a long time to come. I'm also open to any suggestions about the layout, cheers!

The idea here is to list the UK releases primarily, and then from around the world, sectioned off mostly into studios and then everything else that seems to "fit."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Masters of Cinema

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BFI

Artificial Eye

Misc. European Releases

Modern "Silent" Films UK

Criterion

Kino

Flicker Alley

Cohen Film Collection

Misc. US Releases

Modern "Silent" Films US

Blu-rays with Silent Films as Extras

All Quiet on the Western Front
  • Silent version of All Quiet on the Western Front (1930) (SD)
Ben-Hur
  • Ben-Hur (1925) (SD)
Stagecoach
  • Bucking Broadway (1917) (HD/1080i)
Restless
  • Silent version of Restless (2011) (HD)
The Ten Commandments (Gift Set Only)
  • The Ten Commandments (1923) (HD)
There Will Be Blood
  • The Story of Petroleum (1923) (HD)
The Wizard of Oz 75th Anniversary Edition
  • The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (1910) (SD)
  • His Majesty, The Scarecrow of Oz (1914) (SD)
  • The Magic Cloak of Oz (1914) (SD)
  • The Patchwork Girl of Oz (1914) (SD)
  • The Wizard of Oz (1925) (SD)
Related Threads

Eureka/Master of Cinema Discussion Thread
BFI Discussion Thread
OFFICIAL KINO International/KINO Video Thread
Criterion Collection Discussion
Flicker Alley Thread

Last edited by RazorwireRyan; 04-27-2016 at 11:55 PM.
Thanks given by:
adamhopelies (04-27-2016), BigNickUK (04-27-2016), CelestialAgent (04-27-2016), CouncilSpectre (04-26-2016), CZDK (04-27-2016), John_Drake (04-27-2016), kidc (04-27-2016), Koroshiya Ichi (04-26-2016), oddbox83 (04-26-2016), Patient-X (04-27-2016)
Old 04-26-2016, 10:34 PM   #2
Special Member

Sep 2013
UK

You've missed the BFI Man With a Movie Camera, but a fabulous resource, thanks for adding a UK thread.
Thanks given by:
RazorwireRyan (04-26-2016)
Old 04-26-2016, 10:53 PM   #3

Mar 2010
Netherlands

Wow! Thanks for this thread.
Have become a Silent Film enthusiast, since I started to collect Blu-rays a few years ago.
This will help me to remind myself, that there's still loads of them that I don't have yet.
TV: LG 32LN5300
Blu-ray Player: Panasonic DMP-BD79 (Modded)
Receiver: Pioneer VSX-323
Fronts: Yamaha NS-B500
Center: Pioneer S-HS100
Surrounds: Pioneer S-HS100
Subwoofer: Pioneer S-HS100
Thanks given by:
RazorwireRyan (04-27-2016)
Old 04-26-2016, 11:02 PM   #4

Jul 2015

Great idea for a thread, made even better by the rightful inclusion of the Shaun the Sheep Movie (see my avatar)

Very surprised there's no UK Illusionist, but as it's easily available in multiple French editions it's not the end of the world.

Last edited by Fnord Prefect; 04-27-2016 at 12:06 AM.
Thanks given by:
Old 04-26-2016, 11:11 PM   #5
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2013
Hants, UK

Neat thread! Worth pointing out Master of the House is also available in the BFI's Carl Theodor Dreyer Collection...

Also, shouldn't Metropolis: Ultimate Collector's Edition be listed under "Misc. European Releases/Alternate UK Editions"? Or are you classing it as a separate edition due to the bonus disc?
Thanks given by:
Old 04-27-2016, 12:44 AM   #6

Mar 2008
Leek, Staffordshire

Its a good thread but as its in the UK section I think the non UK blus should be removed
MIA on blu: Alfie (Original) The Pledge, Local Hero, A Matter Of Life and Death, A Man For All Seasons, Goodbye Mr Chips
MIA on blu in UK/region free: Kes, Human Traffic
Thanks given by:
Old 04-27-2016, 12:53 AM   #7
Special Member

Aug 2011
Norway

Thanks, but the idea for this is to be a general silent film collecting thread, that's in the UK forum. 90% of all the US blus are region free also. I did take that into consideration though, so if you just stop looking at the Criterion section, all the UK titles are at the top.
Old 04-27-2016, 03:09 AM   #8
Special Member

Jul 2013

If you want to be a completest here are a few more...

Old 04-27-2016, 03:15 AM   #9
Special Member

Aug 2011
Norway

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddbox83 View Post
You've missed the BFI Man With a Movie Camera, but a fabulous resource, thanks for adding a UK thread.
Thanks, added! It was on my list but I suppose I got distracted by the gorgeous Eureka set which arrived today

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapta View Post
Neat thread! Worth pointing out Master of the House is also available in the BFI's Carl Theodor Dreyer Collection...

Also, shouldn't Metropolis: Ultimate Collector's Edition be listed under "Misc. European Releases/Alternate UK Editions"? Or are you classing it as a separate edition due to the bonus disc?
Cheers, I'll add the Dreyer set, reminds me to add Mel Brooks set with Silent Movie too! Yeah separate edition with the bonus disc, though I think tomorrow I'll cut out the "alternate UK editions" bit, and put the MoC steelbooks in with the MoC maybe? Or just call it Misc. European Releases/Steelbooks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koroshiya Ichi View Post
Wow! Thanks for this thread.
Have become a Silent Film enthusiast, since I started to collect Blu-rays a few years ago.
This will help me to remind myself, that there's still loads of them that I don't have yet.
No problem My pipe dream is to own every silent film release So it should make for a good checklist of sorts!
Old 04-27-2016, 03:20 AM   #10
Special Member

Jul 2013

A few more

and of course Napoleon is coming

Old 04-27-2016, 03:22 AM   #11
Special Member

Aug 2011
Norway

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Drake View Post
If you want to be a completest here are a few more...

Excellent thanks! How English friendly are those French releases, if you know? I'll add these in later on today, much appreciated.
Old 04-27-2016, 03:25 AM   #12
Special Member

Jul 2013

The Lumiere set doesn't have intertitles so that isn't a problem. The Linder sets are both English friendly (original English intertitles, etc.) ditto for the Bowers set and Variete. Downhill has original English intertitles.
Thanks given by:
Old 04-27-2016, 03:36 AM   #13
Special Member

Jul 2013

Oh and one of my favourites Ford's 3 Bad Men is also coming

Old 04-27-2016, 03:46 AM   #14
Special Member

Jul 2013

Also, should you decide to include animation:

And a few silent shorts are also included on:

Old 04-27-2016, 03:52 AM   #15
Special Member

Jul 2013

Flicker Alley has also just released this BD-R.
Old 04-27-2016, 05:19 AM   #16
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2010
France

There's also this Norwegian release of Fante-Anne (1920) : http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Fante-Anne-Blu-ray/43763/
Mes tests Blu Rays

"To be is to do"-Socrates; "To do is to be"-Sartre; "Do Be Do Be Do"-Sinatra; "Scooby Dooby Doo"-Scooby Doo; "Yaba Daba Doo!"-Fred Flintstone
Thanks given by:
John_Drake (04-27-2016)
Old 04-27-2016, 08:21 AM   #17

Jan 2012

Another misc. European release: Carl Th. Dreyer: Love one another / The bride of Glomdal from the Danish Film Institute
Thanks given by:
CZDK (04-27-2016)
Old 04-27-2016, 09:07 AM   #18
Expert Member

Jun 2014
Aberdeen, Scotland

Nice thread!

Here is one you need -

... or ...

Happiness is a Eureka! / BFI / Arrow / Criterion Blu-Ray...

All things prog | Yes World | DVD Basen | Home | MX-5 | Nausicaa | ET | My Criterion
Old 04-27-2016, 10:47 AM   #19
Special Member

Aug 2011
Norway

Thanks so much for all the new releases I didn't know about! All added in now, and a hell of a lot more titles to go on the wish list haha. John Drake, do you have any or all of the Blu-rays you put forward?
Old 04-27-2016, 11:40 AM   #20
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2011

This is a great thread its a shame that alot of silent films are lost and gone forever including London After Midnight
They Dont make them like they used to
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland