Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Last Starfighter (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Spectacular Spider-Man: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$24.99
My Big Fat Greek Wedding (Blu-ray)
$6.98
The Simpsons: The Sixteenth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Beyond Outrage (Blu-ray)
$12.96
Devil's Due (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Slap Shot (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
8-Film Action Collection (Blu-ray)
$7.99
History of the World: Part I (Blu-ray)
$6.16
The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Beginning / The Little Mermaid II: Return to the Sea (Blu-ray)
$19.96

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Old 12-19-2009, 02:53 PM   #1

Jan 2008
Kansas City, Mo.
Thumbs up The Maxx is FINALLY on DVD!!!!!!!!!!!

It's an Amazon exclusive complete with commentaries! All I can type is that IT'S ABOUT DAMN TIME!

http://www.amazon.com/The-Maxx-Compl...0731260&sr=1-1
"I can't live the buttoned down life like all of you! I want it all: the terrifying lows, the dizzying highs, the creamy middles! Sure, I might offend a few of the blue-noses with my cocky stride and musky odor - oh, I'll never be the darling of the so-called 'City Fathers' who cluck their tongues, stroke their beards, and talk about what's to be done with this Monkey_Boy?!"
Old 12-24-2009, 06:49 PM   #2

Jan 2008
Kansas City, Mo.
Post Wow. Nobody Cares? Weird.

Got mine yesterday and the picture quality is excellent (especially for DVD)! Sounds very good, even for 2.0! Highly recommended to fans of the comic and show! (If there are any around here.)

"I can't live the buttoned down life like all of you! I want it all: the terrifying lows, the dizzying highs, the creamy middles! Sure, I might offend a few of the blue-noses with my cocky stride and musky odor - oh, I'll never be the darling of the so-called 'City Fathers' who cluck their tongues, stroke their beards, and talk about what's to be done with this Monkey_Boy?!"
Old 12-24-2009, 07:31 PM   #3
Power Member

Sep 2009
Texas

Glad to hear the quality of the disc was good. From reading the description on Amazon it seems that these aren't a disc made by a manufacturer, but are made by Amazon when you purchase it. I was concerned regarding the quality of the disc and as to what the packaging would be like. Could you give your opinion of the packaging the disc comes in? Is it packaged in a normal dvd case with art work like a normal dvd would be? I have seen the pictures provided in the post, but I wasn't sure if this was the actual case. I appreciate any answers you may provide.

Last edited by jebhdb; 12-24-2009 at 07:38 PM.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:05 PM   #4

Apr 2008
S.D., Cali

This series rocks!! Wow...I remember way back when I was like, I cant wait for this to come out on DVD...It's been that long I forgot about it

Getting it today!!
Old 12-24-2009, 09:07 PM   #5
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2009
☣☣☣☣☣

DVD
- - - Breaking Bad - - -
Old 12-24-2009, 09:52 PM   #6
Expert Member

Sep 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey_Boy View Post
Wow. Nobody Cares? Weird.
it's not that nobody cares, it's just that this is a bluray site/forum so unless Amazon decides to make a blu version expect interest from folks around here to be meh. As for me, I'm disappointed that a) the damn thing took this long to come out on dvd and b) it'll probably be another decade before we see Maxx on blu.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:24 PM   #7

Nov 2009
FLooRI.D.A

If this is as heavily edited as the VHS release I'll stick to my original MTV rips.
Old 12-25-2009, 02:10 AM   #8

Jan 2008
Kansas City, Mo.
Talking People DO Care!

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercutz View Post
it's not that nobody cares, it's just that this is a bluray site/forum so unless Amazon decides to make a blu version expect interest from folks around here to be meh. As for me, I'm disappointed that a) the damn thing took this long to come out on dvd and b) it'll probably be another decade before we see Maxx on blu.
I put it in the "General Discussions" area because it wasn't a BD (I mean, "Avatar" ain't on BD), and seeing as how this was such an awesome show, I figured folk would wanna know about it nonetheless! I woulda loved to have it on Blu, but I've waited too long for this show to come to a format I can watch it on (my VCR busted years ago and it seemed pointless to replace it) and they certainly didn't skimp on the quality.

I'm thinking the reason the PQ is so wonderful, is because they used the original source. Meaning: You still have the "MTV's Oddities" bumpers! I actually forgot about that! I always thought I remembered The Maxx being on Liquid Television with Aeon Flux, but I do remember The Oddities block; It had that dude with an alien in his head and other freakish shows. I own the VHS version and they took out the bumpers along with episode 8 (which is on here, by the way, and it freaked me out because I thought I'd seen 'em all since I owned it on VHS! I guess that's why they make a point to have "Includes All 13 Episodes" in bold lettering on the back. So that was an unexpected bonus for me). The only annoying thing for me is that you gotta go through the credits after each segment, so it's not as absorbing as the VHS was, since I've gotta snap outta watching it to look for my remote (I always set it in a different spot) so I can skip to the next one.

As for the packaging, it's different than a regular DVD case, but in a good way. It's shiny and extremely smooth; "Sleek" would be a word that comes to mind. Looks exactly as the picture I posted... well the back of it is set up differently and "The Maxx" is a bit smaller on the spine, but overall it's the same. It's set up like a 2-disc BD case; with each disk set in either side. In fact, I accidently popped in the second disc because I'm so used to the "other disc" being a digital copy. At first I was all like, "WTF? Why is it starting with episode 9?". Then I realized my mistake.

I haven't gotten around to watching them, but special features include:
Interviews with the creator of the comics and the director of the shows
Commentaries on all 13 episodes
A bonus recap episode narrated by Mr. Gone

For 14.99, it's well worth every penny. Hell, for 19.99 it's worth every penny! But I only paid 14.99 cuz I'm awesome.

Last edited by Monkey_Boy; 12-25-2009 at 01:16 PM.
Old 12-25-2009, 03:58 PM   #9
Power Member

Sep 2009
Texas

Thanks for all the info Monkey Boy. As much as I would like to wait for a blu ray release of this series I doubt that it will ever happen so it looks like I'll be ordering the dvd.
Old 12-25-2009, 04:01 PM   #10
Power Member

Sep 2009
Texas

Oh, one more question Monkey Boy. What do the dvd's look like? Is there any artwork on them? Thanks.
Old 12-25-2009, 04:16 PM   #11
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2008
Alexandria, VA

i did like the show, but, this is a classic example of something that should have been released on blu/dvd simultaneously. they are never gonna get blu into the mainstream if they keep releasing things on dvd only. they are gonna have to move away from it if they expect the blu to be fully embraced or else folks will just stay with dvd and all of us with blu will miss out on good high quality productions of things like The Maxx! imagine it in 1080p & 5 or 7.1 lossless
55" Sony SXRD KDS-A552000 1080P
PS3 Slim & XBOX 360 Elite, Wii, iPhone5 64gb
iPad4 64gb, AppleTV-hdmi, NAS-1tb, Oppo BDP-105D, 105, 93 & 83 players
Onkyo PR-SC5507P Pre/Pro; TX-NR525 Harmony 1, SB-Touch, Axiom Spkrs M80v3, VP180v3, QS8v3, QS4v3 M2v3, Front 3 Bi-Wired! Emotiva XPA-5, UPA-200, UPA-2 & mini-x Amps, XDA-1DAC, X-Ref 12 DSP Sub & Ultra Subs 12 Polk Audio SDA-2 speakers
NY GIANTS!
Old 12-25-2009, 05:08 PM   #12

Jan 2008
Kansas City, Mo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jebhdb View Post
Oh, one more question Monkey Boy. What do the dvd's look like? Is there any artwork on them? Thanks.
Same picture from the cover, on both discs. And you're quite welcome.

I'm right there with ya, solarrdadd! Agree with every word! I think the reasoning behind their decision was simply that this is an Amazon exclusive and they wanted to keep it cheap. Hopefully we'll see a proper Blu release someday. It would definetly be beautiful, but I wouldn't expect the sound to be in 7.1. I highly doubt they'll put that much more effort into it. Examples being quite a few animated series they've already brought to BD where they didn't get lossless audio. (How pissed off was I when I got "Superman: Doomsday" and found it was lossy? This much: And that wasn't even a series, it was direct to BD!)

As I typed before, they did do a great job with the DVD. It may not be Blu, but it's certainly better than VHS, and if you're a fan of the show (whom this thread is for) more than the fan of a format (not typing that there's anything wrong with that, I'm just typin'), you're gonna be as happy as my kids on Christmas!

Last edited by Monkey_Boy; 12-25-2009 at 05:23 PM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies