Best Blu-ray Deals

Black Friday Week is Live, $3.99 Blu-ray Movies »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Masters of Sex: Season One (Blu-ray)
$14.96
10 hrs ago
Lone Survivor (Blu-ray)
$7.99

Person of Interest: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Son of Batman (Blu-ray)
$8.00
12 hrs ago
X-Men: First Class (Blu-ray)
$3.99

You Only Live Twice (Blu-ray)
$3.99
11 hrs ago
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Avengers (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Rise of the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$3.99

The Princess Bride (Blu-ray)
$3.99

Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 6 (Blu-ray)
$31.99

The Terminator (Blu-ray)
$3.99

House of Cards: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$14.96

Old 12-21-2009, 02:16 AM   #1
Expert Member

Sep 2009
Detroit Rock City
Default THX, Dolby Digital, And DTS Intros!

How great would it be to have a Blu-ray with all of these on it?

THX: I've seen the traditional demo before the original Star Wars trilogy, the one before T2, the one featuring the Simpsons, the robot flying around the room, the robot with the cow can that moos, and the one before the new Star Wars trilogy.

Dolby Digital: I remember a demo that took place in an egyptian tomb, the one where the helicopter flies down the street to the movie theatre, and...I wanna say there was a jungle one.

DTS: I've seen the piano one and the one on the Superbit DVDs.

Are there any more I'm missing?
Old 12-21-2009, 02:32 AM   #2
Banned

Sep 2009
Bournemouth, Dorset, UK

Personally I think Dolby does the best ones. dts is just lame and boring especially the piano. Oh the first dts intro was interesting the one where a CD-ROM is flying around and the differences in the audio mix was neat way to test speakers over its frequency response with different sound pressure levels.

I like the Dolby SR introduction Henry Mancini

I recall this trailers when I was projectionist for UCI

The Dolby SR trailer was only used with type SR prints
Henry Mancini Dolby Surround Fantastique The Dolby Fanfare Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=St_BoDA0hAY

The regular Dolby stereo trailer was used with type A prints
Dolby Stereo - Our Feature Presentation
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsRIV...eature=related

Then of course there is Sony Dynamic Digital Sound and I still haven’t seen heard an SDDS8 sound mix in cinema since it came out in (1993) only a handful of SDDS8 have been released titles the rest are just regular SDDS6.

SDDS trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sl1cV1apn2I

Last edited by JBL4645; 12-21-2009 at 02:36 AM.
Old 12-21-2009, 02:36 AM   #3
Expert Member

Dec 2008

My favorite right now is the DTS-MA Intro. It's LOUD!!!!! I recall watching Terminator 2 Skynet Edition for the first time and I didn't even have the volume up and out of nowhere, the music started, I'm looking for the remote, and when I began to decrease the volume, I was already at 30 on my Sony Receiver, WTF???? LOL
Old 12-21-2009, 02:40 AM   #4
Blu-ray Guru

May 2008
Columbus, Ohio

I always liked THX the best.
LIVING ROOM: Panasonic TC-P65V10, SONY BDP-S5000ES, SONY STR-DA5300ES, Emotiva XPA-5, Def Tech(BP2006 x 2, C/L/R2300, BP2X x 2, BP1.2X x 2)
BEDROOM: SONY KDL-52XBR5, OPPO BDP-103, Pioneer Elite SC-63, Energy(RC-LCR x 3), Paradigm(ADP-190 x 2), SVS PC12-PLUS

"What is dead may never die..."
Old 12-21-2009, 02:51 AM   #5
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2008
'Western' N.Y. State (MEMBER OF THE "ECPP")

The old DTS intro with the flying disc and surround effects was sorta lame, but probably represented "state of the art" when it came out.

Although rather basic, I actually liked the DTS intro with the "backwards" playing piano. Always thought it classy.
Old 12-21-2009, 02:58 AM   #6
Banned

Sep 2009
Bournemouth, Dorset, UK

The second best is the THX trailers that really show-off the ability of the sound system with wild range of dynamics and yet some films that are played in THX cinemas are not as loud or deep as the THX trailer. It depends on the type of film mix?

My first taste of THX was Empire Leicester Square, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade 70mm Dolby SR, and after seeing at regular substandard cinema in my home town in 70mm but on very old speaker system that was grand in its heyday but had since fallen behind.

The range in the Empire was like that of mega hi-fi system. I was hearing sounds arrive with crystal clear clarity over the stereo fronts and found myself looking in each direction where the onscreen action was mostly taking place.

The sub bass, when they kicked in on certain parts was hard to tell because it was so perfectly balanced. The surrounds, sounded like how they should clear and easy and it involved me in the film far better than local cinema.

I saw the film twice since I missed the first 8 minutes. When they showed the THX trailer ‘Cimarron’ I was sat middle of the cinema rather than in the first stalls centre-line I was still on the centre-line, but when that trailer started it up! SLAM! It was in my chest and scared the living daylights out of me!

When the THX logo moved closer and closer the low rumbling started to vibrate the Empire like a flipping earthquake! That would be sub bass channel since I have the THX trailers on DVD and I now know which part it was, now.

There was only x8 JBL 4645 subs located behind the screen x5 JBL 4675-A fronts and x22 JBL 8330 surrounds.

The newer THX trailer amazing life when played at the Empire on its new 56KW JBL THX sound system over its original 13KW THX sound system, yeah get the picture.

One other THX cinema in the UK I visited was CIC/UCI High Wycombe 6, and that had more or less the same JBL speakers only x2 4645 subs and that cinema was sussed out because the bass to sub bass was in my face! It was uniform from toe to head! Even standing at the back getting sneak peak at Arachnophobia was pressing on my whole body!

When I saw the next show the THX trailer I think it was Broadway? My god, the first few seconds the lows were crawling and pressing on my body! And when it got louder it got lower and deeper and pressing HARD into my chest! WOW!

Last edited by JBL4645; 12-21-2009 at 03:00 AM.
Old 12-21-2009, 03:06 AM   #7
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2007
Metropolis

Try this site:

http://www.demo-world.eu/demo-dvds/

I wish more demos came on regular Blu-rays.
Old 12-21-2009, 03:06 AM   #8
Banned

Sep 2009
Bournemouth, Dorset, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove93 View Post
My favorite right now is the DTS-MA Intro. It's LOUD!!!!! I recall watching Terminator 2 Skynet Edition for the first time and I didn't even have the volume up and out of nowhere, the music started, I'm looking for the remote, and when I began to decrease the volume, I was already at 30 on my Sony Receiver, WTF???? LOL
Always start off at lower volume level because you have no idea when mix will come along and damage your speakers permanently!

I don’t think that trailer is on the skynet Bluray region B I did skip past the THX trailer as I’ve heard it before I was more interested in the other thing about the transfer picture, no need to open that can of worms again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Kent View Post
Try this site:

Oh, that’s an interesting site. I have few CD dts demo discs one that came with my dts decoder around 1998. And I sent off for another dts CD demo disc (1999) also Titanic dts CD.

I think Sensurround had one with out sound! They didn’t need one with sound as the film Earthquake made HUGE SOUND impression!

Now I wonder if (CDS) Cinema Digital Sound had a trailer with its handful of titles. T2 is one such title. CDS came and went before it was even recognized as the first digital sound system for cinemas.

I wonder if Ultra Stereo produces a cinema trailer for its own sound format system, not that I’ve heard of such a trailer I’ve only seen a few films on Dolby sound system, but the end credits shows recorded in Ultra Stereo. The Blob was one title I think Repossessed?

Oh but what of the pi$$ take THX trailer at the start of the film Repossessed (1990) I laughed so hard and played it a few times back on VHS before letting the film roll on, it was too funny.

I think the trailer was called BDF? LOL

For years I heard rumours of THX trailer in Wayne’s World 2 but I don’t think its on the UK version of the film?

Last edited by JBL4645; 12-21-2009 at 03:30 AM.
Old 12-21-2009, 03:40 PM   #9
Expert Member

Sep 2009
Detroit Rock City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Kent View Post
Try this site:

Does anybody know where can I get some of those?
Old 12-21-2009, 04:37 PM   #10

Oct 2009
High Plains
Thumbs up

Some of the DTS and Dolbly intros are a good way to show a sound system off.
My T2 ultimate edition DVD is still worthy with the THX and DTS intro combo. There is also a Dolby Digital intro on it as well
Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skulls has my favorite THX intro to date.
Toy Story and Star Wars EP 1 come to mind with other cool THX intros.

For me these really draw you into the movie from the get go.

I would also like to hear what other DVD's or Blu rays have unique over the top THX, DTS or Dolby intros.
Wake me up if we crash into the mountain. I wouldn't want to miss that.

John Wilson White Hunter Black Heart
Old 12-21-2009, 05:07 PM   #11
Expert Member

Sep 2009
Detroit Rock City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounty Killer View Post
I would also like to hear what other DVD's or Blu rays have unique over the top THX, DTS or Dolby intros.
I know the Re-Aminator 2-disc S.E. DVD had a cool Dolby Digital intro. It had a helicopter flying thru a street to the front of a movie theatre. Very cool!
Old 12-21-2009, 05:11 PM   #12
Banned

Sep 2009
Bournemouth, Dorset, UK

I had the level on the spectrumlap set a bit too hot lol

Old 12-21-2009, 06:10 PM   #13
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2007
Bronx, New York
Send a message via AIM to saprano

I was talking about that exact intro in this thread JBL

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=126096

Was wondering how low it went. the part when the mushroom pops up i thought my sub was going to break.
Pioneer Kuro 151FD|Samung 40"
Pioneer Elite SC-37|Onkyo 705
Def Tech speakers/Def Tech Sub
Oppo BDP-103|PS3 phat 60gig|PS3 slim120gig|APC H15
New Addition -SVS SB13 Ultra
Old 12-21-2009, 09:45 PM   #14
Banned

Sep 2009
Bournemouth, Dorset, UK

saprano
I was shamefully thinking about buying Indiana Jones 4 a second time on bluray I have the 2/disc DVD R2, but the Bluray is I think 23.00 pounds at HMV that’s roughly the cost of PAL laserdisc from 15 years ago, who do they think they are kidding on this pricing.

I’ll think about it! The DVD sounds destructive enough in the wrong hands; those lows will bottom most subs that can’t handle it.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater General Discussion