Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Nekromantik (Blu-ray)
$20.19
Sons of Anarchy: Seasons 1-6 (Blu-ray)
$172.59
Pumpkinhead (Blu-ray)
$18.99
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Minority Report (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.98
Woodstock: 3 Days of Peace & Music (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$15.94
Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (Blu-ray)
$10.39
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.99
The Simpsons: The Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.96
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.98
Dragon Ball Z: Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$17.99
The Tim Burton Collection (Blu-ray)
$26.49
Oblivion (Blu-ray)
$9.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED
Old 12-24-2009, 03:19 AM   #1

Jul 2008
Default Yamaha Pure Direct mode?

There is something I don't understand about the Yamaha Pure Direct mode. It shuts down the video output right? So this is just another music mode right? I have had my Yamaha RX-V663 but never really looked into the Pure direct mode and what its about. It sounds great with DTS-CDs I'll say that much. Thanks JC
Old 12-27-2009, 02:15 PM   #2
Special Member

Jul 2007
Tally

shuts everything down that doesnt deal with the audio circuitry. That includes video processing, lights etc. Onkyo's Pure mode does the same thing
Old 12-27-2009, 02:24 PM   #3
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2009
jO-hio

Whatever is fed in audio wise is fed out to their respective channels, there is no processing done at all.

On a side note I play a LOT of Rockband and the difference between this mode and the "straight" mode is about 30ms in delay according to the numbers I get from using the guitar and auto calibration.

Bill
Wives and toddlers...can't live with them and people notice them missing.
Proud Member of CAA: Chronic Adjusters Anonymous
Old 12-27-2009, 03:42 PM   #4

Jul 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFattBill View Post
Whatever is fed in audio wise is fed out to their respective channels, there is no processing done at all.

On a side note I play a LOT of Rockband and the difference between this mode and the "straight" mode is about 30ms in delay according to the numbers I get from using the guitar and auto calibration.

Bill
So overall its a good or bad thing? Too bad you can't watch a movie in Direct mode because it shuts down the ability to watch anything. JC
Old 12-27-2009, 11:46 PM   #5
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2009
jO-hio

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.H. View Post
So overall its a good or bad thing? Too bad you can't watch a movie in Direct mode because it shuts down the ability to watch anything. JC
You should still be getting video in Pure Direct mode. I watch movies in this mode in order to get HD audio from my old PS3. If you aren't getting video then something is set wrong somewhere else. On second though I suppose if you are upconverting then PD mode may indeed get rid of the video feed, not sure on this as I only feed HDMI sources into my Yamaha 665. Maybe someone else can chime in.

Bill

Last edited by MrFattBill; 12-28-2009 at 12:06 AM.
Old 12-28-2009, 01:34 AM   #6

Jul 2008

I'm using a PS3 as well. I'm getting no video at all? I mean nothing and I'm using HDMI also. So what could be the problem? JC
Old 12-28-2009, 03:19 PM   #7
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2009
jO-hio

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.H. View Post
I'm using a PS3 as well. I'm getting no video at all? I mean nothing and I'm using HDMI also. So what could be the problem? JC
Do you get video with pure direct turned off?

Bill
Old 12-28-2009, 03:51 PM   #8

Jul 2008

Yes of coarse I get video with pure direct off. If i didn't i'd say there is something really wrong. I only have a PS3 and HD cable box hooked up both via HDMI.
Old 12-28-2009, 04:32 PM   #9
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2007
Sandy Hook, CT PS3-PSNetwork ID: Pelican170 PS4-PSN Network ID: TheAngryRager

Direct mode cuts everything except the audio. Pure mode cuts everything except audio and video...
PS4 500 GB
Marantz SR7002
Cambridge Soundworks
Old 12-28-2009, 05:33 PM   #10

Sep 2007
Spring, TX

Just a note to mention that Pure/Direct seems to mean different things to different manufacturers. I am not familiar with Yamaha's version, but I am very familiar with Onkyo and to a lesser degree Denon.

Onkyo (at least the 805) has separate "pure" & "direct" modes. They are nearly identical. Both turn-off all post-decoding digital processing including bass management, Audyssey, and all other "listening modes." In addition, the "pure" mode also turns-off the display and the video processor (implying that these two items produce audible noise). To use either of these modes you must have full range speakers since the crossovers are all set to "large." IMO, neither of these modes are very good since the bass management system is off and Audyssey is off also. However, many like these modes.

Note that older Denon models work this way; at least my 3300 did. When in direct mode all digital processing was bypassed.

Recently I learned that newer receivers (some Denon models for one) have what they call a Pure Direct Mode. In this mode, the bass management system still works normally, but other digital processes are turned-off. I assume that this function was created for those systems that have speakers that are not full range capable so the crossovers (and sub) are still in full use. Other post-decoding digital processing functions are still turned-off.

Maybe newer Yamaha models use Pure Direct like I just described. It is easy to check. Play any source material that does not have a LFE channel. In standard modes the subwoofer should still be active. Then switch to Pure Direct; what happens then? For my 805, the sub is gone (no bass management), if your sub is still active then the Pure Direct Mode is probably like I described above.
Samsung HL-S6188 TV
Onkyo 805 AVR
Sony BDPS1000ES Blu-ray & Oppo 971 DVD Players
DTV HR22 DVR
Infinity Beta 50's Front Speakers, C360 Center Speaker, and Beta 20's Surrounds
Hsu VTF MK 2 Subwoofer w/Turbo
APC J25 UPS
Old 12-28-2009, 10:38 PM   #11

Jul 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelican170 View Post
Direct mode cuts everything except the audio. Pure mode cuts everything except audio and video...
I only see "Pure Direct" no "Pure Mode"? Does the RX-V663 not have "Pure mode"? JC
Old 12-28-2009, 11:04 PM   #12

Jul 2008

I don't get it how do I get to "pure mode" as apposed to "pure direct"?
Old 12-28-2009, 11:12 PM   #13
Super Moderator

Nov 2007

The Yamaha has Pure Direct, which shuts of all processing including video. If you want video, just use straight. Pure direct is meant for reference audio use.
Old 12-28-2009, 11:25 PM   #14

Jul 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonR View Post
The Yamaha has Pure Direct, which shuts of all processing including video. If you want video, just use straight. Pure direct is meant for reference audio use.
But these guys are saying theres a "pure mode" which allows video? I'm just curious about it.
Old 12-28-2009, 11:35 PM   #15
Super Moderator

Nov 2007

There is no such thing on the Yamaha. They are talking about Onkyo?
Old 12-28-2009, 11:41 PM   #16

Jul 2007
At the crossroad of Analogue Dr & 2CH Ave

Quote:
Yes they are....read a few posts up. sptrout mentions it.

John
John - I love the smell of vinyl in the morning!
My personal motto: "Live Life! Leave A Legacy!"
I reserve the right to post as a member. When I post as a Moderator I will select a color depending on my mood!
AudioQuest - Genesis - Marantz Reference - Mogami - Nitty Gritty - Nottingham - Ortofon - Rega - Valab/King
Old 12-28-2009, 11:42 PM   #17

Jul 2008

Quote:
Ah ha that clears it up thanks. I normally do nothing to the soundfield. I leave mine for movies 99% of the time in "surround decode". Music I use "straight" or "straight enhanced". I love Yamaha receivers by the way. I'm normally a seperates guy but right now I'm using a Yamaha receiver and its the only receiver really that I like to use/buy.
Old 12-28-2009, 11:47 PM   #18
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2009
jO-hio

Quote:
I hit the "Pure Direct" button on my Yamaha 665 and it does absolutely nothing to my video. It acts exactly like the manual states:

Enjoying pure hi-fi sound (page23)
Use Pure Direct mode to enjoy the pure high fidelity sound of the selected source. When Pure Direct mode is activated, this unit plays back the selected source with the least circuitry.

The front panel display turns off while the Pure direct mode is on. It turns on temporarily when you control this unit (such as volume control). The front panel display turns on again once you set the Pure Direct mode to off.

The Following features are disabled in Pure Direct mode:
- sound field program, tone control
- display and operation of the option menu and setup menu
- multi-zone function

Bill
Old 12-29-2009, 12:00 AM   #19
Super Moderator

Nov 2007

I can assure you that's not the case on the 663 and is stated as such on Yamaha's web site.

Quote:
PURE DIRECT
Pure Direct is a special listening mode that provides the highest possible signal purity. It can be used for both analog and digital sources, with two-channel or multi-channel inputs. When it is selected, the signal follows the most direct path and power to the video circuit is shut down. Certain functions are not operational and even the display is turned off, lighting for only a few seconds when a function is used.
http://www.yamaha.com/yec/technology...2&CTID=5010210
Old 12-29-2009, 12:05 AM   #20

Jul 2007
At the crossroad of Analogue Dr & 2CH Ave

Same with the Yamaha HTR6190. Try it.

Start a BD or a DVD and then engage the Pure Direct Mode. Your video will shut off, but NOT your TV.

Pure Direct is an AUDIO feature!

John
John - I love the smell of vinyl in the morning!
My personal motto: "Live Life! Leave A Legacy!"
I reserve the right to post as a member. When I post as a Moderator I will select a color depending on my mood!
AudioQuest - Genesis - Marantz Reference - Mogami - Nitty Gritty - Nottingham - Ortofon - Rega - Valab/King
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater General Discussion