Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Hannibal: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$15.00
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug 3D (Blu-ray)
$32.99
The Complete Jacques Tati (Blu-ray)
$91.03
Nightbreed (Blu-ray)
$20.95
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$79.99
Kingpin (Blu-ray)
$14.39
Planes: Fire & Rescue (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Welcome to the Space Show (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Scanners (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Congo (Blu-ray)
$8.69
Raw Force (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Dragon Ball Z: Season 8 (Blu-ray)
$32.18
Tommy Boy (Blu-ray)
$4.88
How to Train Your Dragon 2 (Blu-ray)
$19.98
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Display Theory and Discussion

Old 12-25-2009, 05:59 PM   #1

Jul 2009
Default Why does my Imax edition still show black letterbox bars?

I just recieved and watched some of my 'big screen edition/imax' version of the film Transformers 2- the walmart special one. Anyways, much to my dismay it still displays the classic black letterboxing bars just like the regular one I've seen previously, why is that?

In The Dark Knight, during the imax scenes, the image fills the entire screen yet in this movie it seems there are no special scenes....what gives? The blu ray says 'big screen edition' right on the disc as well as the packaging too-

What am I missing here?

Last edited by Dieselboy; 12-25-2009 at 06:12 PM.
Old 12-25-2009, 06:34 PM   #2
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2007
South Dakota

The Imax scenes are as follows:

Scene #1

Optimus vs Megatron and company in the woods. Black bars go away, and it's full screen goodness.

Scene #2

Giant Decepticon vs the twins. Also maybe when it pummels the pyramid too, can't remember.

You may have just missed those scenes, but they are definitely there.
Old 12-25-2009, 07:57 PM   #3
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2007
USA

The IMAX footage was only about 60 seconds if I recall....
"I am jw and I approve this message
Old 12-25-2009, 08:01 PM   #4
Blu-ray Baron

Aug 2009
Tampa, FL

Are you watching an IMAX scene in the movie? Unlike The Dark Knight, Transformers: ROTF doesn't start off in IMAX. The first scene is about 55 mins into the movie...the forest sequence. The black bars will be gone during the IMAX scenes, but I don't think there were as many IMAX scenes in ROTF as there were in The Dark Knight.
Old 12-25-2009, 09:04 PM   #5
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2008
Alexandria, VA

i will be really glad when they make one of these sci-fi movies completely filmed in IMAX so that when it makes it to blu we get the complete experience. won't that be nice, if it ever happens! cost would be a factor and the ability to make money back from an IMAX only big production. but someone will do it, and that will start the trend. it will take one big hit to cause the opening up of more IMAX movies around the USA. maybe 2010 will be that year, let's hope so!
55" Sony SXRD KDS-A552000 1080P
PS3 Slim & XBOX 360 Elite, Wii, iPhone5 64gb
iPad4 64gb, AppleTV-hdmi, NAS-1tb, Oppo BDP-105D, 105, 93 & 83 players
Onkyo PR-SC5507P Pre/Pro; TX-NR525 Harmony 1, SB-Touch, Axiom Spkrs M80v3, VP180v3, QS8v3, QS4v3 M2v3, Front 3 Bi-Wired! Emotiva XPA-5, UPA-2, UPA-200, & mini-x Amps, XDA-1DAC, X-Ref 12 DSP Sub & Ultra Subs 12 Polk Audio SDA-2, Monitor 10 & Monitor 5Jr speakers
NY GIANTS!
Old 12-25-2009, 09:10 PM   #6
Banned

Jul 2007
Hollywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarrdadd View Post
i will be really glad when they make one of these sci-fi movies completely filmed in IMAX so that when it makes it to blu we get the complete experience. won't that be nice, if it ever happens! cost would be a factor and the ability to make money back from an IMAX only big production. but someone will do it, and that will start the trend. it will take one big hit to cause the opening up of more IMAX movies around the USA. maybe 2010 will be that year, let's hope so!
Well, honestly, to get the "complete experience" you need to see it in IMAX, not at home on blu. If you mean no black bars, then shooting in 1.78:1 would fill your screen. IMAX footage is still cropped from 1.43:1, so even on blu you're not getting the complete frame of what was shot.
Old 12-25-2009, 10:51 PM   #7
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2008
Alexandria, VA

Quote:
Originally Posted by retablo View Post
Well, honestly, to get the "complete experience" you need to see it in IMAX, not at home on blu. If you mean no black bars, then shooting in 1.78:1 would fill your screen. IMAX footage is still cropped from 1.43:1, so even on blu you're not getting the complete frame of what was shot.
yeah, i gottcha, the irony is everyone was always told to get 16x9 tv's to get the proper aspect ratio like the movies. still every single movie (not everyone but you get my meaning) still doesn't fill the screen (yes i know why) with the premise given about the 16x9 what was the purpose of that if i can't get the full screen on my 16x9 that the industry has pushed on us then why didn't they just make the "proper aspect ratio" screen to fill it. i know this issue has come up before but why not make sets that would fill the screen with the proper aspect ratio (for the greater number of movies that is) or have one uniform aspect ratio that movies and tv are shot in to give full screen and proper aspect ratio on the sets we are being sold.

i know it's a bit off topic but it is important to the topic, i think. oh well, that's my rant!
Onkyo PR-SC5507P Pre/Pro; TX-NR525 Harmony 1, SB-Touch, Axiom Spkrs M80v3, VP180v3, QS8v3, QS4v3 M2v3, Front 3 Bi-Wired! Emotiva XPA-5, UPA-2, UPA-200, & mini-x Amps, XDA-1DAC, X-Ref 12 DSP Sub & Ultra Subs 12 Polk Audio SDA-2, Monitor 10 & Monitor 5Jr speakers
NY GIANTS!
Old 12-25-2009, 10:57 PM   #8
Banned

Jul 2007
Hollywood

Quote:
yeah, i gottcha, the irony is everyone was always told to get 16x9 tv's to get the proper aspect ratio like the movies. still every single movie (not everyone but you get my meaning) still doesn't fill the screen (yes i know why) with the premise given about the 16x9 what was the purpose of that if i can't get the full screen on my 16x9 that the industry has pushed on us then why didn't they just make the "proper aspect ratio" screen to fill it. i know this issue has come up before but why not make sets that would fill the screen with the proper aspect ratio (for the greater number of movies that is) or have one uniform aspect ratio that movies and tv are shot in to give full screen and proper aspect ratio on the sets we are being sold.

i know it's a bit off topic but it is important to the topic, i think. oh well, that's my rant!
The industry standard aspect ratio is 1:85.1, which is almost what your TV is at 1.78:1. They can't make a TV to accomodate all aspect ratios, because they differ. And remember, movies are meant to be seen first and foremost at the theater, NOT to fill your screen at home.
Old 12-25-2009, 11:40 PM   #9
Banned

Sep 2009
Bournemouth, Dorset, UK

Quote:
The industry standard aspect ratio is 1:85.1, which is almost what your TV is at 1.78:1. They can't make a TV to accomodate all aspect ratios, because they differ. And remember, movies are meant to be seen first and foremost at the theater, NOT to fill your screen at home.
16:9 looks like W/S, scope films donít look right when set at 16:9 YUCK! It looks better on my, LCD video projector with the black bars, since I donít have a DIY anamorphic lens.

The width looks nice only at 6 feet 2Ē and just over 3 feet high An IMAX DVD with the width and height looks nice, too bad I canít get the projector to throw a large image onto screen that will go from side wall to side wall and floor to ceiling.

Thatís why I like cinema itís still the original moving image medium.

A video projector can do a few funky things and some overpriced masking systems.

Then again IMAX doesnít have any masking least thatís what I saw with failed local IMAX cinema and from most others that Iíve seen on the internet.

They have this new 2.20:1 cinema TV out now or is it coming soon? Well they can keep it! IMAX wonít look right on that much is clear!

A video projector is the only means around it, and even that isnít cheap on lamp life, if ran several times each day of the week.

'The Dream Is Alive' (1985) on my LCD video projector and yes that is a bed sheet!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAX%20THE%20DREAM%20IS%20ALIVE.JPG (32.9 KB, 198 views)

Last edited by JBL4645; 12-25-2009 at 11:45 PM.
Old 12-26-2009, 02:54 AM   #10
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2008
Alexandria, VA

Quote:
we all know that about the movie theater that is why they go there first! that is why i also said they should be developed to a standard when mastering them for blu sales to a standard that it will "properly" fit/fill your tv. also i understand and agree with the aspect ratio you quoted, just wonder why tv's weren't made to 1:85.1 or 2:39.1 (movies are shot in either). don't want to argue or drag on about who's right, as i'm not trying to do that. my comments were more of a wish or wonder. that's enough for me cause i know this will do on forever and ever.
NY GIANTS!
Old 12-26-2009, 06:59 PM   #11

Jan 2009

Quote:
that is why i also said they should be developed to a standard when mastering them for blu sales to a standard that it will "properly" fit/fill your tv.
You'd be cutting off part of the frame to do that, and killing the director's intended vision. (Yes, directors usually have a reason for shooting 2.35 instead of 1.85)
Old 12-26-2009, 07:22 PM   #12
Banned

Jul 2007
Hollywood

Quote:
we all know that about the movie theater that is why they go there first! that is why i also said they should be developed to a standard when mastering them for blu sales to a standard that it will "properly" fit/fill your tv. also i understand and agree with the aspect ratio you quoted, just wonder why tv's weren't made to 1:85.1 or 2:39.1 (movies are shot in either). don't want to argue or drag on about who's right, as i'm not trying to do that. my comments were more of a wish or wonder. that's enough for me cause i know this will do on forever and ever.
They are made extremely close to 1.85:1. Its a good middle between the 1.37:1 content (everything pre-1953 and most TV up to the 1990s) and the wide aspect ratio of 2.39:1. There will ALWAYS be black bars unless all films are cropped to one size, which is unacceptable and I doubt will ever happen.

You do realize the size of movie theater screens changes as well, depending on the film? Well, the screen doesn't change, but the viewing area does.
Old 12-27-2009, 02:36 AM   #13
Site Manager

Aug 2006
USiberia

Sticky at the top with examples

Aspect Ratios The Director's Vision
Old 12-27-2009, 04:06 AM   #14
Blu-ray Champion

May 2008
Washington, DC Metro

Quote:
You do realize the size of movie theater screens changes as well, depending on the film? Well, the screen doesn't change, but the viewing area does.
I noticed this recently when I took my kids to see Up (I think)... Maybe it was Where the Wild Things Are). Anyway, the previews were in the 1.78 and the movie was 2.35 or something smaller. My point is that there were "black bars" in the theater.

Personally, the black bars don't bother me. I watch in a near dark environment and don't think I have ever noticed them. As a matter of fact, I missed the screen size change in The Dark Knight because the room was so dark and I could not see the edges of the TV to see the change.
Panasonic TC-P65VT30
Onkyo Pro PR-SC5508P | M2Tech Young DAC | Emotiva XPA-1 (x3), XPA-2
Oppo BDP-93 | DirecTV HR23-700 HD-DVR
Sony Playstation 3 | Nintendo Wii | Apple TV 2, Mac Mini (iTunes Server), iPad
B&W 804S, HTM3S, CWM DS8S | SVS PB12-NSD | Denon AH-D2000 Headphones
Tripp Lite HT1210ISOCTR Power Conditioner, SMART1000LCD UPS System
My flickr account | My Five Year HT Upgrade Plan
Next Upgrade: Cables
Old 12-27-2009, 06:23 AM   #15
Special Member

Dec 2009
Chicago,IL

The Dark Knight had a lot of IMax scenes. Transformers 2 only had 2 I think and it was only the Walmart Edition that had them. You won't miss them in TDK they are great. I remember watching the TDK extras on the BD when it came out. They said something that there is only 5 I-Max cameras and they had them all to film and they ended up destroying one of them.
Old 12-27-2009, 06:41 AM   #16

Oct 2007
orange county, ca

Quote:
yup. they try to simulate that same effect in the imax theater, going from the 2.39 to full imax, by going to 1.78 full widescreen.

dream is alive i have this on laser disc, dvd, and bluray, originally filmed in imax, and as i recall for the laserdisc and dvd versions, for some scenes they actually "bend" the picture using some kind of wide angle fish eye lens so you can see the entire imax frame. my mind is completely blank if they did that on the blu version, even though i did watch it. might have to rewatch .
Old 01-02-2010, 07:13 PM   #17

May 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by louhamilton View Post
I noticed this recently when I took my kids to see Up (I think)... Maybe it was Where the Wild Things Are). Anyway, the previews were in the 1.78 and the movie was 2.35 or something smaller. My point is that there were "black bars" in the theater.

Personally, the black bars don't bother me. I watch in a near dark environment and don't think I have ever noticed them. As a matter of fact, I missed the screen size change in The Dark Knight because the room was so dark and I could not see the edges of the TV to see the change.
It was probably Where the Wild Things Are in IMAX. IMAX is the only theatrical format that gives 'scope movies the "black bars".
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Display Theory and Discussion