Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Hannibal: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$15.00
A.I. Artificial Intelligence (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Fairy Tail: Part 12 (Blu-ray)
$31.69
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug 3D (Blu-ray)
$32.99
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Planes, Trains & Automobiles (Blu-ray)
$4.88
The Spectacular Now (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Nightbreed (Blu-ray)
$20.95
The Flintstones (Blu-ray)
$8.99
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$79.99
Scanners (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Moebius (Blu-ray)
$17.97
Minority Report (Blu-ray)
$7.88
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Planes: Fire & Rescue (Blu-ray)
$19.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Old 12-30-2009, 04:28 AM   #1
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Panem
Send a message via AIM to Darth Anakin Send a message via Yahoo to Darth Anakin
Default Camera angles/shooting style affect how much you like a movie?

I usually don't notice but it REALLY bothers me when a cameraman can't keep his gear steady and sucks at centering on subjects. However, unlike others, the jittery camera affect doesn't bother me as long as it's intentional and not accidental. What do the rest of you think?
Cowboys fan cautiously hoping for the best
My twitter - terribleomens19
Old 12-30-2009, 04:33 AM   #2

Dec 2009
Knoxville, TN

i do hate this whole "shaky cam" shit hollywood has been obsessed with lately.. but it doesn't effect how much i like a film.. if it did then i would absolutely HATE the bourne series
Old 12-30-2009, 04:37 AM   #3
Expert Member

Dec 2009

Definitely. Shaky cam and quick cuts bug the hell out of me, particularly since they have become very obvious techniques when trying to keep an action movie PG-13 (essentially by a) making it difficult to see the action and b) changing the angle to avoid showing blood/gore). That's usually what I think about when I see those techniques employed these days. To say that it takes away from the viewing experience is an understatement.
Old 12-30-2009, 03:11 PM   #4
Power Member

Feb 2009
Anaheim, CA

It does affect my enjoyment of a movie. I cant stand the Bourne movies because of it.
Old 12-30-2009, 03:15 PM   #5
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2008
Ontario, Canada

The constant camera angle changes in excess killed QoS for me.
Old 12-30-2009, 03:34 PM   #6
Power Member

Feb 2008
Atlanta, Georgia

shaky cams are beyond annoying and give me headaches, quick cuts in movies like QoS are just as disturbing. As much as I love the new STAR TREK movie, I HATE the camera shaking at the most worst timings possible. I wish Blu-ray players had image stabilization built into them so I could watch the scene were Kirk first meets Pike, I mean it was seriously the most pointless shaking I have ever seen in a movie period. I can't even imagine what the cameraman is thinking when he is jerking the camera around and how does JJ even allow such a thing to be in the movie? STAR TREK does at least redeem itself with the rest of the movie but that is the worst scene in the movie period.
John 3:16
I do Blu!
100+ Blu-rays and counting...
ViewSonic Projector, 23" Samsung HD Monitor, 22" Acer HD Monitor (dual monitor setup) :)
Sony STR-DG920, Polk Monitor 50 x2, Polk Monitor 40 x4, Polk CS2, BIC VK-12
500GB Slim PS3, Intel i7 Desktop with Blu-ray burner
, Halo 3 Xbox 360, Wii
Old 12-30-2009, 03:38 PM   #7
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2008
Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_Street View Post
shaky cams are beyond annoying and give me headaches, quick cuts in movies like QoS are just as disturbing. As much as I love the new STAR TREK movie, I HATE the camera shaking at the most worst timings possible. I wish Blu-ray players had image stabilization built into them so I could watch the scene were Kirk first meets Pike, I mean it was seriously the most pointless shaking I have ever seen in a movie period. I can't even imagine what the cameraman is thinking when he is jerking the camera around and how does JJ even allow such a thing to be in the movie? STAR TREK does at least redeem itself with the rest of the movie but that is the worst scene in the movie period.
Funny, I have seen the movie twice now and dont know if I noticed, or I saw it and it just didnt bother me, I didnt like the over use of lens flare though.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:25 PM   #8
Special Member

Dec 2009
Maryland

IMO, the skill of the director comes into play. In the last two Bourne films, however rapid the camera movement, I always felt Paul Greengrass was in complete control of what the viewer sees. Watching Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, though, I just felt lost and disoriented during Bay's erratic, shaky action sequences.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:55 PM   #9
Power Member

Feb 2008
Atlanta, Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by master_8ball View Post
Funny, I have seen the movie twice now and dont know if I noticed, or I saw it and it just didnt bother me, I didnt like the over use of lens flare though.
I'm over critical when it comes to watching a movie and stuff like that makes me really upset, and honestly the lens flare didn't bother me at all, I liked it
John 3:16
I do Blu!
100+ Blu-rays and counting...
ViewSonic Projector, 23" Samsung HD Monitor, 22" Acer HD Monitor (dual monitor setup) :)
Sony STR-DG920, Polk Monitor 50 x2, Polk Monitor 40 x4, Polk CS2, BIC VK-12
500GB Slim PS3, Intel i7 Desktop with Blu-ray burner
, Halo 3 Xbox 360, Wii
Old 12-30-2009, 05:08 PM   #10
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2007

Shaky cam is a minor annoyance to me.

I've yet to pick up the Bourne movies because of it though.

Logan
Old 12-30-2009, 05:13 PM   #11
Special Member

Feb 2008

Yeah I agree, these days some DOPs are excessive with any technique, they become fixated with the technique and it sticks like a sore thumb rather than adding to the movie. There are a few things that get overused now. There are movies where probably all these things have been used tastefully, but people pick them up and use them excessively.

Hand-held camera shake - definitely excessive in "Bourne", the hand-held look was tastefully done by Jan de Bont in "Speed." It enhanced the movie, without seeming like a prominent feature. You may have even watched the movie without noticing it.

fast zooming in and out (see "The Office") - there are loads of shows and movies that do this now. They do it just to follow a trend. Annoying.

fake film grain - Excessive in "300" Film grain should be a natural part of the film, not some added post-production effect throughout the whole movie.

camera circling the actor - usually it annoys me because it's no longer original, but in "Dead Poets Society" it seemed original and tasteful.

I don't mind lens flare - again if tasteful, and doesn't look too intentional or too frequent.

I don't think any effect or technique should drive the audience up the wall for the whole film or show. It should be used to moderately enhance a scene.
Old 01-01-2010, 04:17 PM   #12

Nov 2008

what i hate is not the shaky cam it's the reality-tv documentary shaky cam (district 9) that one really get on my nerves.
sony bravia kdl-40v2500 1080 (full hd)
sony dvd movie theater system (dav-fx100w)
sony blu-ray player (bdp-s300)
star choice satellite receiver (dsr505 hd)
Old 01-01-2010, 04:23 PM   #13
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2008
'Western' N.Y. State (MEMBER OF THE "ECPP")

Shaky cam has its place. It often gives scenes a very "documentary-like" or "on-the-fly" sort of feel. I definitely like it - when done well, and/or in moderation.

Take Children of Men, for instance. There doesn't seem to be any scene in the movie where the camera isn't moving, and it's done so well - often subtly - and it gives the while film a unique feel. I love this entire film and have watched it countless times on DVD and several times on BD.

Now, Cloverfield is a movie where the camera is supposed to be all over the place...lol. The only time I watched it, I was having a bout with the flu, so my stomach wasn't in the best shape. Only time I've ever watched it...
Old 01-01-2010, 05:59 PM   #14
Blu-ray Duke

Dec 2007
Club Loop

Quote:
Originally Posted by master_8ball View Post
The constant camera angle changes in excess killed QoS for me.
RUINED it for me as well.
Because Calamari Marionette Ph.D sounded pompous, that's why.
Old 01-01-2010, 06:01 PM   #15

May 2009
New Zealand

Im usually not to fussy when it comes to the 'style' of certain films. As long as there is a good plot and good acting, I can usually handle it.

Miami Vice, on the other hand, had a bad plot, bad acting, and terrible style.
Old 01-01-2010, 06:56 PM   #16
Banned

Jul 2007
Hollywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_Street View Post
JJ allowed it because he was the one shaking the camera most of the time. Watch the making-of doc and you'll see how he did it.
Old 01-01-2010, 06:58 PM   #17
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2009
Club Loop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob J in WNY View Post
Shaky cam has its place. It often gives scenes a very "documentary-like" or "on-the-fly" sort of feel. I definitely like it - when done well, and/or in moderation.

Take Children of Men, for instance. There doesn't seem to be any scene in the movie where the camera isn't moving, and it's done so well - often subtly - and it gives the while film a unique feel. I love this entire film and have watched it countless times on DVD and several times on BD.

Now, Cloverfield is a movie where the camera is supposed to be all over the place...lol. The only time I watched it, I was having a bout with the flu, so my stomach wasn't in the best shape. Only time I've ever watched it...

Two great examples of how it can be used effectively. Generally, however, I think that is a majorly overused device that affects the quality of a film.
Top unannounced domestic blu wants:

1) Satantango; 2) El Cuerpo; 3) Room in Rome; 4) Le Samourai; 5) Los Ojos de Julia; 6) The Burmese Harp; 7) Werckmeister Harmonies; 8) Match Point; 9) Ikiru; 10) Before Sunset/Sunrise; 11) Solaris (2002); 12) A Matter of Life and Death; 13) The Return; 14) The Bicycle Thief; 15) The Diving Bell and the Butterfly; 16) Sin Nombre; 17) The Circus; 18) Bob le Flambeur; 19) Elegy; 20) Grizzly Man; 21) MR 73; 22) Sophie Scholl: The Final Days
Old 01-01-2010, 07:05 PM   #18
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Montreal

One guy who drives me nuts with his endless camera movment is Tony Scott.

He's a good director but he suffers from severe ADD. We the exception of Crimson Tide and True Romance most of his films are hard to watch because of this annoying gimmick!

He obviously hasn't learned anything from his older brother Ridley
Blufans VIP
Old 01-01-2010, 09:42 PM   #19
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanester View Post
One guy who drives me nuts with his endless camera movment is Tony Scott.

He's a good director but he suffers from severe ADD. We the exception of Crimson Tide and True Romance most of his films are hard to watch because of this annoying gimmick!

He obviously hasn't learned anything from his older brother Ridley
Have you seen Gladiator? I understand that the action scenes need a quicker pace than your standard dialog scene, but he was overdoing it a bit with the fast cutting.
Blu-ray releases should be perfect representations of their cinema counterparts.

My Blu-Ray/DVD Collection
Old 01-02-2010, 04:14 PM   #20

Aug 2008
Alexandria, VA

I hate shaky cam movies. The last Bourne film was the worst that I've seen. I would have loved that movie if Greengrass didn't use that "style".

See here...
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/...ml#post8862281
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies