Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Wire: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$109.99
Kingdom of Heaven (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Penguins of Madagascar 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.99
Exodus: Gods and Kings 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.99
Birdman (Blu-ray)
$13.00
Penguins of Madagascar (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Penguins of Madagascar 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.99
Penguins of Madagascar (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day (Blu-ray)
$13.00
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug 3D (Blu-ray)
$54.99
Willow (Blu-ray)
$9.96
101 Dalmatians (Blu-ray)
$18.00
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED
Old 11-19-2014, 11:54 AM   #1

Aug 2013
United Kingdom Soda Pictures Discussion Thread

Hello everyone,

For those who haven't seen my posts here before, I've been producing DVD/Blu-Ray releases at Soda Pictures for the last couple of years. Since we've been releasing more films in HD recently, and there have been quite a few individual threads popping up, I thought it might be a good idea to start a dedicated thread where people can ask questions about past or upcoming releases, and where I can post news or reminders about what's out soon. This thread can also cover releases by Soda Film + Art, our sublabel for artists' films.

If you'd like to support us directly, you can order from us directly at our online shop: http://sodapictures.squarespace.com/ (Please note that in some instances we may not be able to ship outside the UK/Ireland.)

Soda Pictures on Blu-Ray
Tetro
Coco Chanel & Igor Stravinsky
Howl
Norwegian Wood
Woody Allen: A Documentary
Bullhead
Compliance
Wadjda
Pulp: A Film About Life, Death & Supermarkets
Half Of A Yellow Sun
The Kelly Reichardt Collection (Old Joy, Wendy & Lucy, Meek's Cutoff)
Only Lovers Left Alive (also available as a Steelbook)
Omar
The Jim Jarmusch Collection (Permanent Vacation, Stranger Than Paradise, Down By Law, Mystery Train, Night On Earth, Dead Man)
Finding Vivian Maier
Night Moves (out on Jan 12th 2015)

Soda Film + Art on Blu-Ray
Piercing Brightness
The Chris Marker Collection (two films on BD + eight further films on DVD)
Watermark
A Spell To Ward Off The Darkness (out on December 1st)
My Name Is Hmmm... (coming soon)
Thanks given by:
CastrosfriendChe (11-19-2014), rapta (11-19-2014), samdvd1 (11-19-2014), Sinthetic (11-19-2014)
Old 11-19-2014, 12:01 PM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2013
Hants, UK

Nice one, means we can ask questions in one place which will be much easier for you I presume!

Any hints at any new releases for 2015?
Old 11-19-2014, 12:24 PM   #3
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2010
Hibernia

'Coco Chanel & Igor Stravinsky' is almost unwatchable- something wrong with the black levels on the disc.
(sorry for negative comments- I realize they were released earlier on in the bluray formats life).

Last edited by Dubliner1; 11-19-2014 at 12:52 PM.
Old 11-19-2014, 12:35 PM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2011
UK

Please consider Oslo, August 31 for BD James.

My COMPLETE Studio Ghibli Collection

Panasonic 50" ST60 3D Plasma TV
White Playstation 3 Super Slim Japan
Old 11-19-2014, 12:36 PM   #5
Special Member

Mar 2008
Isle of Benbecula, UK

Been a cracking year for Soda. Some top quality releases, with Kelly Reichardt Collection, Omar, and Only Lovers Left Alive looking top dog.

The Soda Film + Art line will be hit and miss for most I'm sure, but to see these sorts of films receiving releases is very surprising! Struggled to get into Piercing Brightness, liked Watermark (phenomenal transfer).

Looking forward to Night Moves and A Spell to Ward Off the Darkness.

Would really like to see older releases get the BD treatment, plus other recent ones that got DVD only (Renoir).
Old 11-19-2014, 12:49 PM   #6
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2010
Hibernia

Quote:
Originally Posted by samdvd1 View Post
Been a cracking year for Soda. Some top quality releases, with Kelly Reichardt Collection, Omar, and Only Lovers Left Alive looking top dog.

The Soda Film + Art line will be hit and miss for most I'm sure, but to see these sorts of films receiving releases is very surprising! Struggled to get into Piercing Brightness, liked Watermark (phenomenal transfer).

Would really like to see older releases get the BD treatment, plus other recent ones that got DVD only (Renoir).
I have read great things about the Kelly Reichardt Collection- hope to pick it up soon
Old 11-19-2014, 01:12 PM   #7

Aug 2013

Thanks for the kind responses already guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapta View Post
Any hints at any new releases for 2015?
Beyond Night Moves in January and My Name Is Hmmm... sometime in February, nothing firmed up yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubliner1 View Post
'Coco Chanel & Igor Stravinsky' is almost unwatchable- something wrong with the black levels on the disc.
(sorry for negative comments- I realize they were released earlier on in the bluray formats life).
This was produced well before my time at Soda, so I don't really know anything about why this occurred I'm afraid, my apologies. For what it's worth (and I know it's probably not much on a physical media forum!), I believe the HD version on iTunes doesn't suffer from these issues.

Quote:
There are no plans at the moment to revisit any of our earlier titles on Blu-Ray, but if you have any requests, I'd suggest writing a polite e-mail to info@sodapictures.com, and if there's enough interest, who knows?
Thanks given by:
Dubliner1 (11-19-2014)
Old 11-19-2014, 02:49 PM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2013
Hants, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubliner1 View Post
I have read great things about the Kelly Reichardt Collection- hope to pick it up soon
In terms of consistent quality from film-to-film, and particularly considered packaging, I would argue it might be the best box set this year!

Quote:

I too am glad these kinds of films are getting released - don't forget Wadjda and the Jarmusch box! As for the Film + Art line, I'm very impressed these are getting a release - agreed that they're not for everyone but it shows a boldness of releasing things some other labels might not. I didn't get to see Watermark on blu-ray as my check disc doesn't work (must be a faulty disc), but the DVD still looked good...as for the film I was a little disappointed but it certainly hit the point home. I'm looking forward to checking out A Spell to Ward Off the Darkness soon.

I'd too like to see some older Soda DVD titles get an upgrade...there are obviously a lot of great titles but the ones that can't be ignored are the Norman McLaren: The Master's Collection, the Herzog titles you guys released (Little Dieter Needs to Fly, Wheel of Time, The Wild Blue Yonder), Kiarostami's Close-Up and Koreeda's After Life. Those would be incredible upgrades that I'm sure all cinephiles would appreciate to see restorations of - especially that McLaren set, seeing as there was a celebration of his career this year and likely a lot of materials available!
Thanks given by:
Dubliner1 (11-19-2014), mattyl149 (11-19-2014)
Old 11-20-2014, 04:11 AM   #9
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2010

is there any hope of Sister being upgraded to blu? I'm glad you put it out on dvd but the dvd encoding cant handle the photography properly
Old 11-20-2014, 09:52 AM   #10

Aug 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitin View Post
is there any hope of Sister being upgraded to blu? I'm glad you put it out on dvd but the dvd encoding cant handle the photography properly
None at the moment I'm afraid. I agree, it's a lovely, very underrated film.
Thanks given by:
Dubliner1 (11-20-2014), nitin (11-20-2014)
Old 11-20-2014, 10:46 AM   #11
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2010

I cannot believe it is not more widely discussed, the performances are gut wrenchingly honest.
Old 01-29-2015, 10:03 AM   #12

Aug 2013

Happy to finally reveal the artwork for our steelbook release of Jim Jarmusch's Dead Man, which comes out on March 23rd exclusively via Zavvi.

Thanks given by:
Dubliner1 (01-29-2015)
Old 01-29-2015, 10:16 AM   #13
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2013
Hants, UK

Wow! Very nice design! Would get this if I didn't already have the Jarmusch set but it is tempting...

Any news on last year's acquisitions? Looking forward to The Turning and especially Kumiko the Treasure Hunter but wondering when we'll see Jauja or Still the Water?
Old 01-29-2015, 10:31 AM   #14
Expert Member

Jan 2013
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilJames View Post
Happy to finally reveal the artwork for our steelbook release of Jim Jarmusch's Dead Man, which comes out on March 23rd exclusively via Zavvi.

Kind of similar to this:

Old 01-29-2015, 10:48 AM   #15
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2013
Hants, UK

But much better! I especially love the use of the bone typeface from the poster.
Old 01-29-2015, 10:57 AM   #16
Expert Member

Jan 2013
UK

It's definitely a nice Steelbook, I would certainly buy it if I didn't own the box set.
Old 01-30-2015, 05:40 PM   #17
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2011
Virginia, US

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilJames View Post

[Show spoiler]
The artwork itself is great, but I'm not a fan of bare metal finishes. Most steelbook collectors tend to avoid them.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:01 PM   #18
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2011
West Sussex, UK
-
-

Great to see they are releasing Kon–Tiki, pity only a year after the rest of the world, as we were so late seeing a cinema release in the UK.

Any news on spec and extras, as apart from the definitive non English friendly Norwegian release with BD of extras the worldwide releases are a mixed bag.
The RA locked US release has both the Norwegian and English language versions of the film.
The Scandinavin releases (non English) friendly have a DTS-MA7.1 track

BTW I have the US and Norwegian disks (can understand about 80% of the Nordic languages)
Old 02-07-2015, 01:24 PM   #19
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2013
Hants, UK

Sweet! Just saw the listing for KUMIKO, THE TREASURE HUNTER on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kumiko-The-T.../dp/B00TB6JUE6

Glad you guys are releasing this one on Blu-ray, definitely one of the films I've been most looking forward to this year. Will be priority to go see this if it's showing near me!
Thanks given by:
lolwut (02-08-2015), Mansinthe (02-07-2015), samdvd1 (02-07-2015)
Old 02-07-2015, 01:50 PM   #20
Special Member

Mar 2008
Isle of Benbecula, UK

Nice! This film has been on my radar for some time.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland