Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Sons of Anarchy: Seasons 1-6 (Blu-ray)
$99.99
9 hrs ago
Let's Be Cops (Blu-ray)
$9.96
2 hrs ago
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$9.96

Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey (Blu-ray)
$19.99

X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$9.96
15 hrs ago
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$49.99

The Complete Jacques Tati (Blu-ray)
$59.99

Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$44.99

Sleeping Beauty (Blu-ray)
$18.99

Homeland: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Time Bandits (Blu-ray)
$21.99

The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Batman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$149.99

COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland

Old 10-14-2014, 04:48 PM   #1

Jul 2008
United Kingdom Doctor who 50th Collector’s Edition Blu-ray 50i replacement from the BBC :)

Just got this today in an email

We are pleased to respond to our fans’ requests for this title to be made available in its original frame rate.

We are offering replacements for Disc 2 only from the 50th Collector’s Edition Blu-ray (2D version), which includes the Day of the Doctor.

Customers unhappy with their original 23.98 disc can send it (without packaging) to the Freepost address below, and we will send out a 50i replacement.

Remember to include your full name and postal details clearly inside the package for the return.

The estimated time frame for the new replacement discs to be available is 4-5 weeks.

Please allow some time for the replacement disc to reach you.

*note: the Freepost address is for UK and mainland customers only. We advise you check with your postal service before despatch.

Freepost RTEK-EJGC-ZKGX
BBC Worldwide Ltd
BBC DVD Support
33 Foley Street
LONDON
W1W 7TL

Kind regards

BBC DVD Support

Last edited by stargazeruk; 10-14-2014 at 04:55 PM.
Old 10-14-2014, 04:56 PM   #2
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2009
Bristol, England

Very surprised they have acknowledged it let alone done a replacement program.
Old 10-14-2014, 05:01 PM   #3

Jul 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Jones View Post
Very surprised they have acknowledged it let alone done a replacement program.
I am surprised as well since I been asking them to do a replacement program for the doctor who specials with David tenant which in my eyes are much worse then the day of the doctor.

Its a small step in the right direction. Now they just need to really fix the specials and be done with it (The specials being in 50i -> 60i on the discs instead of native 50i).

Last edited by Deciazulado; 10-17-2014 at 09:43 PM. Reason: tech
Old 10-14-2014, 05:11 PM   #4
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2009
Send a message via MSN to Billz

So, if the replacement is made available in it's original framerate, does that mean that the sound issues will be automatically fixed?
Hates:
3D
Old 10-14-2014, 05:37 PM   #5
Expert Member

Nov 2011

What's the issue with the disc exactly?
You have all the weapons you need. Now fight.
Old 10-14-2014, 05:42 PM   #6

Jun 2013

How does one get the correct disc without buying the 50th anniversary boxset (I have the original release)?
Old 10-14-2014, 05:48 PM   #7
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2009
Send a message via MSN to Billz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88thCrazy View Post
What's the issue with the disc exactly?
Reply 273 onwards:
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread....nd#post8480641

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindrobber View Post
How does one get the correct disc without buying the 50th anniversary boxset (I have the original release)?
I don't think you can. It might be for those that only bought the 50th anniversary boxset.

EDIT: Nevermind. Having the correct framerate WOULD ACTUALLY NOT fix the sound issue by default. For some reason, I thought it would've.

My bad guys.
Hates:
3D

Last edited by Billz; 10-14-2014 at 06:07 PM.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:35 PM   #8
Expert Member

Sep 2007
Pueblo CO

soooo how does this work with USA customers ??????
My Setup Oppo bd-93 (chipped open region), Samsung PN638000 3DTV, Samsung BD6900 3D blu ray Player , Pioneer VSX-1020-K Reciever and 7.1 surround and loving it all :)
Old 10-15-2014, 02:10 AM   #9

Jul 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwanttobeabmoviestar View Post
soooo how does this work with USA customers ??????
It does not. There be no point in US customers trying to get this replacement disk since most US equipment won't support the native frame rate it was filmed in.

It only affects UK/EU/AU customers that will be getting the disk replaced with a disk that has the original frame rate it was filmed in.
Old 10-15-2014, 03:02 AM   #10

Aug 2007

Quote:
There be no point in US customers trying to get this replacement disk since most US equipment won't support the native frame rate it was filmed in.
Current-gen Samsung LCDs support 50hz in America. You will need a BD player that does too of course.
The opinions above are my own and not those of my employers or clients.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:17 PM   #11

Dec 2010

I live in Australia and bought it from the BBC online store, I can also send it in right?
Old 10-16-2014, 02:42 AM   #12

Sep 2013
UK

If they're using the correct UK broadcast and DVD master with that audio mix, it should be fine. If they've sped up the 24p master to 25p and encoded at 50i, it won't.

I hope they haven't fudged it and used the former.

Still no 3D but now I can more happily own both the 3D disc and this and feel both have merit in existing (though ideally they'd have included the 3D version too just to make the set feel complete).
Old 10-17-2014, 10:02 AM   #13

Jun 2007

Ugh.

I passed on the 50th set because Day of the Doctor was still at the wrong speed and frame rate.

Now a corrected replacement disc is available, but I'm ineligible for it because I didn't buy the box, because there was no indication they would offer a replacement. Plus, I'm in the US.

(Sigh.)

I wonder if I could get away with sending them a 3D Day of the Doctor, and asking for the replacement.
Old 10-24-2014, 06:15 PM   #14

May 2010
Germany

I asked the UK BBC shop if this replacement is also available for customers from Germany. They basically sent me the same Email that is posted above and just removed the freepost stuff. So I guess everyone who bought it can get a replacement. But if you are outside the UK you have to pay for shipping.
Old 10-24-2014, 10:41 PM   #15

Jul 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveller View Post
I live in Australia and bought it from the BBC online store, I can also send it in right?
You can but you have to pay postage fees since the freepost is for UK only.
Old 10-25-2014, 08:04 AM   #16

Oct 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazeruk View Post
It does not. There be no point in US customers trying to get this replacement disk since most US equipment won't support the native frame rate it was filmed in.

It only affects UK/EU/AU customers that will be getting the disk replaced with a disk that has the original frame rate it was filmed in.
My old school Sony G90 and less old school Oppo region-free modded BDP-83 have no problems playing 50i Blu-ray discs or pretty much anything at the native resolution and frame rate. So, does anybody know what would happen if I sent in my disc for replacement? I have no issues with paying for postage to the UK but what then? Would they keep the disk and just do nothing, send it back because the 50th Anniversary Collector's edition wasn't sold in the US or send me a corrected disc at their expense?

Have any US owners of this title received official word on if the replacement program is available to us?

Last edited by Zathras-7; 10-25-2014 at 08:08 AM.
Old 10-27-2014, 02:02 PM   #17

Jul 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathras-7 View Post
My old school Sony G90 and less old school Oppo region-free modded BDP-83 have no problems playing 50i Blu-ray discs or pretty much anything at the native resolution and frame rate. So, does anybody know what would happen if I sent in my disc for replacement? I have no issues with paying for postage to the UK but what then? Would they keep the disk and just do nothing, send it back because the 50th Anniversary Collector's edition wasn't sold in the US or send me a corrected disc at their expense?

Have any US owners of this title received official word on if the replacement program is available to us?
If you imported if from the UK then you should be able to send it back to them and get it replaced.

They will pay the P&P to send it to you. You just have to send the disk back to them first (mostly that be proof you brought it).

The email does not state its restricted to the UK just the free post is so you should be fine.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:12 PM   #18

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by d514 View Post
I asked the UK BBC shop if this replacement is also available for customers from Germany. They basically sent me the same Email that is posted above and just removed the freepost stuff. So I guess everyone who bought it can get a replacement. But if you are outside the UK you have to pay for shipping.
Hi,

I am from Germany as well and received the same response.
I will send in my Disc 02 for exchange tomorrow.

Has anyone received the replacement disc as yet?
Old 11-02-2014, 08:55 PM   #19
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2009
Bristol, England

Quote:
Originally Posted by faust1103 View Post
Hi,

I am from Germany as well and received the same response.
I will send in my Disc 02 for exchange tomorrow.

Has anyone received the replacement disc as yet?
They only announced the replacement scheme a few weeks ago and it said replacements wouldn't be ready for 4-5 weeks.
Old 11-02-2014, 08:57 PM   #20
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2013
Staffordshire, UK

Good - means I won't feel compelled to get my @rse into gear just yet then!
Pre-orders: Evangelion 3.33, Blood Lad CE, Giovanni's Island UE, Harlock Space Pirate CE SB, Magic in the Moonlight, Thief, Metropolis SB, The Lady Vanishes, Fascination, Toy Soldiers, Raise the Titanic
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland