Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Dead or Alive Trilogy (Blu-ray)
£19.99
John Wick: Chapter 2 (Blu-ray)
£14.99
Heat (Blu-ray)
£8.99
Doctor Who: Series 1 (Blu-ray)
£24.99
Lone Wolf and Cub (Blu-ray)
£49.99
The Creeping Garden (Blu-ray)
£14.99
Black Sails: Complete Series One & Two (Blu-ray)
£9.99
The City of the Dead (Blu-ray)
£14.99
Suicide Squad (Blu-ray)
£9.99
Suits: Seasons One - Five (Blu-ray)
£37.48
Ghostbusters 3D (Blu-ray)
£10.00
The Love Witch (Blu-ray)
£12.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland

Old 10-11-2016, 01:27 PM   #1
Power Member

Mar 2008
Carlisle, UK
United Kingdom Christine (Powerhouse/Indicator) October 24th 2016

Received check disc today so here is full specs direct from disc...

DISC ONE (Blu-ray)
Audio commentary by director John Carpenter and actor Keith Gordon
Isolated Score (LPCM 2.0)
Deleted Scenes (26:01)
"Christine" documentary:
- Play All (48:03)
- "Ignition" (11:51)
- "Fast and Furious" (28:53)
- "Finish Line" (7:17)
Image Gallery (35 pages)
Trailers and TV Spots:
- Play All (3:28)
- Trailer #1 (0:58)
- Trailer #2 (1:29)
- TV Spot #1 (0:33)
- TV Spot #2 (0:33)

DISC TWO (DVD Copy)

IN THE CASE
24-page booklet with a new essay by Jeff Billington and a 1996 article on Carpenterís cinematic Ďguilty pleasuresí

English HoH subtitles
2.35:1 1080p AVC MPEG-4
English DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
English LPCM 2.0 Surround (advertised as stereo, but the roar of the engine straight from the opening thirty seconds is def surround)

Last edited by BigNickUK; 10-27-2016 at 10:46 AM.
Thanks given by:
CZDK (10-11-2016), Dickieduvet (10-11-2016), drterror666 (10-11-2016), kngtmat (10-11-2016), OceanBlue (11-10-2016), Portista (10-11-2016), robertzombie (10-11-2016), samdaman94 (10-11-2016), Ste7en (10-11-2016), stigdu (10-11-2016), SymbioticFunction (10-11-2016), tenia (10-12-2016), thenexus6 (10-12-2016)
Old 10-11-2016, 04:49 PM   #2
Special Member

Oct 2012
Auburndale Fl

Nice to see it will have individual play all for each type of special features.
Body by Plymouth, Soul by Satan.
Old 10-11-2016, 05:47 PM   #3
Expert Member

Jul 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by kngtmat View Post
Pleasingly compressive extras, though the DVD copy and booklet are I recall first pressing only. Looking forward to this release.
Old 10-12-2016, 09:16 AM   #4

Sep 2009

Dvd Active's review of this incorrectly states the Euro Sony disc encode is better than the Twilight Time Release, I have both and the Twilight is actually slightly better in both encode (unlike Fright Night which is the other way round on picture quality) and bit rate and has been confirmed in other numerous reviews. Based on this, I won't take their word this release trumps both (most probably does though) and I'll wait for this sites' review before forking out a third time.
Old 10-12-2016, 12:11 PM   #5
Power Member

Jan 2013
UK

What do you folks think of this?:

Me personally!
Top Ten Most Wanted Blu-rays: Amphibian Man (1962) - Big Wednesday (1978) - Danger: Diabolik (1968) - The Devils (1971) - The Final Programme (1973) - Lawn Dogs (1997) - Martin (1977) - O Lucky Man! (1973) - Slaughterhouse-Five (1972) - Static (1986)
Old 10-12-2016, 12:27 PM   #6

Feb 2016

I like that as a poster but as a steel it's horrendous.
Old 10-12-2016, 12:36 PM   #7
Blu-ray Archduke

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
(advertised as stereo, but the roar of the engine straight from the opening thirty seconds is def surround)
Most of these "2.0" tracks are like that for movies from this period, I noticed Alex the Doctor questioning whether the 2.0 on the Arrow of TLADILA is also the "original" mix versus the 4.0 announced for the Shout edition, but if anything the matrixed 2.0 is technically closer to the original Lt-Rt Dolby Stereo mix rather than the discrete 4.0 version. Still, the overall effect should sound the same (providing that people are decoding the 2.0 as surround using whatever DSP they prefer) so I'm very much splitting hairs, just thought I'd make the point that these PCM 2.0 tracks are nowt to be sniffed at! It's like the old laserdisc days.
Thanks given by:
samdvd1 (10-12-2016)
Old 10-12-2016, 12:40 PM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2010
France

What's better technically ? A 2.0 Surround or a 4.0 ?
I never have my amp with Dolby Surround on, so I basically listened to every 2.0 Surround movie I watched in, well, 2.0, so I'd be more interested by a 4.0 mix because it tells me straightforward which of my speakers are supposed to be used.
Mes tests Blu Rays

"To be is to do"-Socrates; "To do is to be"-Sartre; "Do Be Do Be Do"-Sinatra; "Scooby Dooby Doo"-Scooby Doo; "Yaba Daba Doo!"-Fred Flintstone
Old 10-12-2016, 12:43 PM   #9
Power Member

Mar 2008
Carlisle, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Most of these "2.0" tracks are like that for movies from this period, I noticed Alex the Doctor questioning whether the 2.0 on the Arrow of TLADILA is also the "original" mix versus the 4.0 announced for the Shout edition, but if anything the matrixed 2.0 is technically closer to the original Lt-Rt Dolby Stereo mix rather than the discrete 4.0 version. Still, the overall effect should sound the same (providing that people are decoding the 2.0 as surround using whatever DSP they prefer) so I'm very much splitting hairs, just thought I'd make the point that these PCM 2.0 tracks are nowt to be sniffed at! It's like the old laserdisc days.
Oh I agree. Just papped myself when I first started the film with the 2.0 track and got the roar and aggression of Christine straight off the bat from the rears,
Old 10-12-2016, 12:46 PM   #10
Blu-ray Archduke

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenia View Post
What's better technically ? A 2.0 Surround or a 4.0 ?
I never have my amp with Dolby Surround on, so I basically listened to every 2.0 Surround movie I watched in, well, 2.0, so I'd be more interested by a 4.0 mix because it tells me straightforward which of my speakers are supposed to be used.
I matrix everything that should be matrixed as it's extremely straightforward when it comes to decoding these 2.0 Lt-Rt mixes, they have an LCRS arrangement baked in and any DSP program worth its salt is based around such a decoding arrangement. But yes, the 4.0 iteration will direct the appropriate signal to the appropriate speaker without you having to press a button on your remote. The horror!
Thanks given by:
samdvd1 (10-12-2016)
Old 10-12-2016, 12:48 PM   #11
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2013
Durham, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderwalk View Post

Me personally!
Minging!
Old 10-12-2016, 01:06 PM   #12

Jul 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by kngtmat View Post
Nice to see the 3 sections of the excellent making of documentary have been put in the correct order too.

The Region 1 SE DVD had them ordered 'Fast & Furious', then 'Finish Line' & finally 'Ignition', which made no sense at all. One idiot 'professional' reviewer recommended only watching Fast & Furious as the rest were just outtakes from the same interviews!
Old 10-12-2016, 01:27 PM   #13
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderwalk View Post

Me personally!
Yep, couldn't be worse
"I have to return some videotapes"
Old 10-12-2016, 03:50 PM   #14
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2010
France

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
But yes, the 4.0 iteration will direct the appropriate signal to the appropriate speaker without you having to press a button on your remote. The horror!
Itís not at all a question of saving the push of a button, but actually knowing I need to push it. I have a Yamaha receiver and basically always leave it in Straight mode (meaning with no DSP). Because I didnít know better before now, I wasnít making a distinction between 2.0 and 2.0 surround tracks, so even 2.0 Surround tracks would have been output as 2.0 Straight on my receiver (which is why I never was bothered by the surround issue on Criterionís White BD, since I didnít even tried matrixing it !).

That's why I was saying 4.0 might be better : it's clear what is in the track. Hence my question about what is best, and if there is anything preventing a 2.0 Surround to be encoded as 4.0 instead, as a way to let people know what they're in for.
Mes tests Blu Rays

"To be is to do"-Socrates; "To do is to be"-Sartre; "Do Be Do Be Do"-Sinatra; "Scooby Dooby Doo"-Scooby Doo; "Yaba Daba Doo!"-Fred Flintstone
Old 10-12-2016, 03:57 PM   #15

Mar 2014
Glasgow

I thought that If you leave your receiver to process in the auto or native mode of the soundtrack then 2.0 and 2.0 surround tracks always got processed as if it were 4.0, if the source is digital. I only get 2.0 if I leave it in "2CH".

At least it does on my Sony (which also provides a .1, regardless of format).

I don't know but I'm fairly confident that it would involve remixing for 4.0. Either from the original soundtrack or from separating the LCRS and then mixing that. I don't think you can just encode the 2.0 surround.
"Watching a movie on TV is like being kissed over the telephone." - Nic Meyer
Old 10-12-2016, 04:09 PM   #16
Special Member

Aug 2007

Re encodes, honestly, Christine is not very difficult to compress, so I think any differences would be minor. Body Double on the other hand is quite difficult.
The opinions above are my own and not those of my employers or clients.
--
David Mackenzie
Blu-ray Disc (and DVD) Compressionist/Author
ISF Certified Calibrator (Level 2) / THX Certified Professional (Video Calibration Level 2)
Member SMPTE
Thanks given by:
samdvd1 (10-12-2016)
Old 10-12-2016, 04:45 PM   #17
Blu-ray Archduke

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
It’s not at all a question of saving the push of a button, but actually knowing I need to push it. I have a Yamaha receiver and basically always leave it in Straight mode (meaning with no DSP). Because I didn’t know better before now, I wasn’t making a distinction between 2.0 and 2.0 surround tracks, so even 2.0 Surround tracks would have been output as 2.0 Straight on my receiver (which is why I never was bothered by the surround issue on Criterion’s White BD, since I didn’t even tried matrixing it !).

That's why I was saying 4.0 might be better : it's clear what is in the track. Hence my question about what is best, and if there is anything preventing a 2.0 Surround to be encoded as 4.0 instead, as a way to let people know what they're in for.
Sure, but I'm being so flippant because it comes down to having the most rudimentary knowledge of sound formats: if something's marked as 'stereo' on a cover but was made from, say, 1980 onwards then that'll surely be a matrixed track.

Dolby Digital 2.0 can be flagged as surround so it can trip the matrixing on a receiver automatically but I don't know if that can be done with PCM. If not, then I'd imagine that the purveyors of such 2.0 PCM tracks label them as 'stereo' for the sake of argument, in case someone pulls up the '2.0 Surround' track but it doesn't switch to surround on their receiver. So it's left up to our good graces to decide what we want to do with it.

As for what would prevent a natively matrixed 2.0 from being 4.0 in the first place, the content providers would have to go back to the original multi-track masters every time because LCRS 4.0 basically didn't exist as a discrete theatrical format AFAIK, unlike the ready-made Lt-Rt mix. This is something 20th Century Fox/MGM have been VERY fond of doing in the DVD/BD era - hence Shout offering a 4.0 on their TLADILA disc - but the other studios/distributors don't usually bother.

To cut a lot of hot air short: discrete 4.0 mixes of matrixed Dolby Stereo originals are pretty thin on the ground, so 2.0 does me just fine and if I have to press a button then it's no skin off my nose regardless of what the cover says.
Old 10-12-2016, 05:19 PM   #18
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2010
France

Thanks for the precisions. I might listen to more 2.0 tracks with DSP on, then.
Mes tests Blu Rays

Old 10-12-2016, 08:03 PM   #19
Special Member

Oct 2012
Auburndale Fl

I like the IT but there needs to be an actual picture of it than the artists design that picture is. One thing the most wrong is the writing is squiggly on it for some reason which I'm sure won't be like that on the final.

Also as I posted in the Indicator's own thread the IT is based on the actual all 58 Plymouths brochure picture with the scene in the film showing Christine with teeth of ripped metal added to it. Also the wording is based close enough on a real 58 Fury ad.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.ph...7&postcount=45

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.ph...6&postcount=47
Body by Plymouth, Soul by Satan.
Old 10-12-2016, 09:09 PM   #20
Blu-ray Archduke

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Thanks for the precisions. I might listen to more 2.0 tracks with DSP on, then.
No worries! It's worth trying once in a while.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland