Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Insurgent 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Strike Back: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Insurgent (Blu-ray)
$17.99
How to Train Your Dragon (Blu-ray)
$10.00
Tales from the Crypt: Demon Knight (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Harry Potter Hogwarts Collection (Blu-ray)
$97.99
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Home 3D (Blu-ray)
$24.98
X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$14.89
Mad Max: Fury Road 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.99
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Hot Pursuit (Blu-ray)
$22.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland

Old 02-06-2015, 08:39 PM   #1
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2011
Old Hill, West Midlands
Send a message via AIM to mattyl149
United Kingdom Far From The Madding Crowd (John Schlesinger) - 1st June 2015

Far From The Madding Crowd is also coming out as part of the Studio Canal Vintage Classics range on the 1st June 2015

Far from the Madding Crowd Blu-ray PRE-ORDER

Old 02-08-2015, 10:55 PM   #2

May 2011
England
Smile

This release was scanned at 4K and restored at 2K from the original 35mm negatives: http://press.optimumreleasing.net/press/?id=831

I've cancelled my Warner pre-order!
Blu-ray wish list: Blow-Up, The Damned, Death in Venice, Maurice, The Passenger, Radio On and Ryan’s Daughter.
Old 02-09-2015, 06:52 AM   #3
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2010
France

Quote:
Originally Posted by James78 View Post
This release was scanned at 4K and restored at 2K from the original 35mm negatives: http://press.optimumreleasing.net/press/?id=831

The UK release could be cut from 171 to 158 min.
I wouldn't have cancelled a US pre-order so quickly, personally...
Mes tests Blu Rays

"To be is to do"-Socrates; "To do is to be"-Sartre; "Do Be Do Be Do"-Sinatra; "Scooby Dooby Doo"-Scooby Doo; "Yaba Daba Doo!"-Fred Flintstone
Old 02-09-2015, 08:44 AM   #4

Sep 2012
Portsmouth, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenia View Post
The UK release could be cut from 171 to 158 min.
I wouldn't have cancelled a US pre-order so quickly, personally...
BFI wouldn't sanction that, I don't think. However, what will be interesting is whether the BBFC cuts will be restored ie the cock-fight scene. I hope so because I don't like cuts for home video releases in any shape or form

Looking forward to seeing this great 60's film in HD with it's spectacular Wessex widescreen vista's
Region B Blu-ray wishlist:
The Day of the Jackal, The Hill, Charley Varrick, Blow-up, Sweeney!, Klute, The tit and the moon, The Edge, Age of Consent, Rabbit-proof fence, Guns at Batasi, Madonna's Confessions Tour, Deadly pursuit, One million years BC, Splendor in the grass

Yamaha 5.0 system with
Panasonic VT-Series 55-inch plasma
Philips BDP7500 Mk II player
Old 02-09-2015, 11:49 AM   #5
Power Member

Jun 2011
London

Quote:
Originally Posted by James78 View Post

Well we don't know about the Warner Archive release yet, there should be a review of it over at HTF this week. I'm thinking they're both from the same 4K scan of the original negatives. I'll report when I see a review.
Old 02-10-2015, 07:45 AM   #6

Sep 2012
Portsmouth, UK

Review of Warner's US version is up on this site, looks very good though they might have employed a reviewer who appreciates the story a little more ! Disappointing extra's and this is where SC normally scores quite highly but will the SC edition have cuts ??

Hmm, to import or not, very tempted
The Day of the Jackal, The Hill, Charley Varrick, Blow-up, Sweeney!, Klute, The tit and the moon, The Edge, Age of Consent, Rabbit-proof fence, Guns at Batasi, Madonna's Confessions Tour, Deadly pursuit, One million years BC, Splendor in the grass

Yamaha 5.0 system with

Last edited by oslouk; 02-10-2015 at 07:54 AM.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:43 AM   #7

Oct 2009
Liskeard, Cornwall,UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by oslouk View Post

Hmm, to import or not, very tempted
No brainer for me, I should be able to import the US release for £10-12, the Studio Canal release is currently £21.91 on Amazon. Plus the US release will be uncut with original poster art on the cover.

Plus there always a risk with Studio Canal, that it will be DNR'd.
Old 02-10-2015, 04:33 PM   #8

Oct 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by oslouk View Post
...will the SC edition have cuts ??
Aren't UK distributors legally obliged to cut the cock fight scene because it's animal cruelty?

Animal Cinematograph Act of 1937 or somesuch?
Old 02-10-2015, 04:55 PM   #9

Jun 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwf View Post
Aren't UK distributors legally obliged to cut the cock fight scene because it's animal cruelty?

Yes. It's why the negative for the cockfight sequence has 'international version only' on it.
"Gentleman, that last remark is not for publication. This is a D notice situation."
Old 02-16-2015, 11:21 PM   #10

Sep 2012
London
Default SchlesiGNer ??!!??

I personally trust that the illegal scene of animal cruelty has indeed been omitted.

What I'd be more interested to see is if anybody, either on here or at Studio Canal, notices that they've mis-spelled the director's surname in block capitals on the front cover before it gets released.
Old 02-17-2015, 05:25 AM   #11

Feb 2014

Quote:

There are numerous scenes in Roeg's uncut version of Walkabout which are really tough to watch for animal lovers which were passed? Also, the kangaroo hunt in Wake in Fright got through.

Possibly as these films portray Aboriginal / Australian culture, not sure.
Blu Ray wants: Spirit of the Beehive / Chilly Scenes of Winter / Thief (Mann) / The Gambler (Reisz) / To Live and Die in L.A. / The Magnificent Ambersons / Scarecrow (Shchatzberg) / Fingers (Toback) / Last Embrace (Demme).
Old 02-17-2015, 06:40 AM   #12

Jun 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olmo View Post
There are numerous scenes in Roeg's uncut version of Walkabout which are really tough to watch for animal lovers which were passed? Also, the kangaroo hunt in Wake in Fright got through.

Possibly as these films portray Aboriginal / Australian culture, not sure.
It's when cruelty has been specifically staged for the purpose of the film. With Walkabout the BBFC weren't convinced there was any genuine cruelty involved:

Quote:
The film also includes scenes of animal hunting and killing, most notably a sequence showing a kangaroo being hit with a spear and then being killed by bludgeoning. However, there is insufficient evidence on screen to conclude that the animal was subjected to cruelty. The apparent wound, seen after the spear bounces off the animal, could be simulated; there is no clear evidence of distress or suffering on the part of the animal; and the actual killing occurs below screen. Accordingly, the scene was not considered to be in breach of the Cinematograph Films (Animals) Act 1937.

With Walk in Fright they took cameras along on hunt that were going to happen anyway whether there was a camera there or not, and were able to claim it was documentary footage. Which is a bit harder to do in something like Far from the Madding Crowd or The First Great Train Robbery where it's happening in a specially built set surrounded by a hundred extras in period costume.
"Gentleman, that last remark is not for publication. This is a D notice situation."
Thanks given by:
Olmo (02-17-2015)
Old 02-17-2015, 12:08 PM   #13

Feb 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aclea View Post
It's when cruelty has been specifically staged for the purpose of the film. With Walkabout the BBFC weren't convinced there was any genuine cruelty involved:

With Walk in Fright they took cameras along on hunt that were going to happen anyway whether there was a camera there or not, and were able to claim it was documentary footage. Which is a bit harder to do in something like Far from the Madding Crowd or The First Great Train Robbery where it's happening in a specially built set surrounded by a hundred extras in period costume.
Suspected as much, that's why I implied the cultural reference. The sequence in 'Hearts of Darkness' where the pigs and water buffalo are slaughtered (pigs look like they're being tortured actually) were obviously passed using the same criteria.
Blu Ray wants: Spirit of the Beehive / Chilly Scenes of Winter / Thief (Mann) / The Gambler (Reisz) / To Live and Die in L.A. / The Magnificent Ambersons / Scarecrow (Shchatzberg) / Fingers (Toback) / Last Embrace (Demme).
Old 02-18-2015, 01:42 PM   #14
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2011

Interesting. Apparently the new transfer was overseen by DP Nicolas Roeg, so will hopefully be the full 170m version. Of course, the cock fight scene will be gone, so perhaps SC will see fit to release a French disc as well. That or include the uncut version on the UK disc when the BD player is set to a non-UK country (like Conan the Barbarian was).
Old 02-18-2015, 02:04 PM   #15
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2011
West Sussex, UK
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieLarkin View Post
That or include the uncut version on the UK disc when the BD player is set to a non-UK country (like Conan the Barbarian was).
We are unlikely to see that again as that was Fox sailing very close to the wind on legality of intentionally including a non BBFC approved version on the BD, and then mentioning it in the press release (I remember DVD Active quoted this prior to release), so everyone knew it was there.

No surprise for the reissue Fox were forced to only include the BBFC approved version on the UK BD.

This was a deliberate decision probably to reduce cost so they could use one disk in Europe and even encoding seamless branching for a UK version of the film was obviously cheaper than doing a whole separate disk.

Is in a different category to the more accidental (well you can be more trusting as never publicised), such as Universal releasing the uncut non BBFC approved version of True Lies on UK DVD as they used their European mastered disk here as well.
Old 02-23-2015, 12:05 AM   #16

Sep 2012
Portsmouth, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Lewis View Post
No brainer for me, I should be able to import the US release for £10-12, the Studio Canal release is currently £21.91 on Amazon. Plus the US release will be uncut with original poster art on the cover.

Plus there always a risk with Studio Canal, that it will be DNR'd.
Well the Warner release appears to have varying verdicts and looks like the SC release will win easily on extra's so on this occasion, I'm going to wait. With a decent restoration and transfer, this film should look marvellous

Unsure of what you mean by DNR with SC; the only SC vintage classic BD I own is Quatermass and the Pit, which is regarded as one of the best 60's transfers out there: it certainly looks fantastic on my set-up

Yamaha 5.0 system with
Old 02-23-2015, 12:18 AM   #17

Sep 2012
Portsmouth, UK

Quote:

Believe I've seen somewhere a previous SC DVD edition of this film has had the cock fight sequence included....though I suppose this could have been a mainland europe edition. I've always known that most censors are very hot on horse falls but in principle, I'm very against any cuts on home video use

However, not a deal breaker for me; I'm more interested in the restoration and transfer !

Yamaha 5.0 system with
Old 02-24-2015, 05:03 PM   #18

Jan 2012
Ontario, Canada

Are Studio Canal Vintage Classics Region B locked?
Old 02-24-2015, 05:07 PM   #19
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2011
West Sussex, UK
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by abudgell View Post
are studio canal vintage classics region b locked?
yes
Old 02-24-2015, 05:33 PM   #20

Jan 2012
Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcy30 View Post
yes
Thanks for the response.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland