Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Big Hero 6 3D (Blu-ray)
£4.99

The Changeling (Blu-ray)
£17.99

A Cat in the Brain (Blu-ray)
£8.99
7 hrs ago
The Bridge: The Complete Season Four (Blu-ray)
£17.99
19 hrs ago
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom 3D (Blu-ray)
£19.99

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (Blu-ray)
£14.99

Woman is the Future of Man + Tale of Cinema: Two Films by Hong Sangsoo (Blu-ray)
£14.99
7 hrs ago
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom 4K (Blu-ray)
£24.99

Maze Runner: The Death Cure (Blu-ray)
£9.98

eXistenZ (Blu-ray)
£12.50
17 hrs ago
Logan (Blu-ray)
£7.00

The Commuter (Blu-ray)
£10.00

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland

Old 04-20-2018, 12:40 PM   #1
Power Member

Mar 2010
Surrey, UK
Default Most valuable blu-ray title in your collection?

This can be for sentimental reasons, or its net worth on sites like eBay, Amazon Marketplace, etc.

What do you believe is your most valuable blu-ray (or any film really)? (Shamelessly pilfered the idea from someone else's discussion about most expensive blu-rays)

I'll start:

Mine are actually a couple of DVDs. The Japanese release of Kill Bill which has the full colour sequence during the House of Blue Leaves fight as well as lots of other additional violent moments throughout the film, and the German DVD of Felidae, which you can see in my signature.

The former might be worth a little bit, not sure. The latter, I doubt is worth anything but it's valuable to me as it is an uncommon disc and a fantastic film to boot!

Over to you, boys n girls.
10 Most wanted on blu-ray: Mute Witness; Felidae; Braindead; Hunter's Blood; Unman, Wittering & Zigo; Self Defense (aka Siege); Death Weekend (aka The House by the Lake); Tombstone (Director's cut); Scream for Help; Man's Best Friend

Living room: Shit all over the floor, boxes everywhere
Bedroom: Even worse than the Living Room
Gaming: PlayStation 4 Pro hooked up to a TV screen with 2 girls' fingerprints all over the bloody thing
Old 04-20-2018, 12:55 PM   #2
Expert Member

Apr 2015

Again, probably the Pink Floyd The Early Years 1965-1972 box set. But, as that is kind of a cheat, I’ll say either Late Mizoguchi or Andrei Tarkovsky: Sculpting Time.
Old 04-20-2018, 12:55 PM   #3

Jan 2017
Wales

I suppose this could also be favourite, as you mentioned sentimentality, in which case I'd go for my Kubrick masterpiece collection. It looks gorgeous and has some of my favourite films ever included with it.

Other than that I'd say perhaps the Alan Clarke: Dissent & Disruption set or my plain archive edition of Frank.
""What a long, strange trip it's been in Foreman's basement"- Michael Kelso

UV Codes for sale here:
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=301252
Old 04-20-2018, 01:04 PM   #4
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2009
In the dark, near the Tannhäuser Gate

Pre-ordered for just under £40 direct from Eureka, now sells for up to 10 times that.
"I was just fixing some ice tea; would you like a glass?"
"Yeah, unless you got a bottle of beer that's not working"

"Farmers talk of nothing but fertilizer and women. I've never shared their enthusiasm for fertilizer. As for women, I became indifferent when I was eighty-three."

"I have no illusions about my looks. I think my face is funny."
Old 04-20-2018, 01:12 PM   #5
Expert Member

Apr 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patient-X View Post

Pre-ordered for just under £40 direct from Eureka, now sells for up to 10 times that.
Does it, though?

I regularly see it listed for between £300 and £400, but I can’t remember the last time I saw a copy sell for that much. There was one on eBay AU recently, with a low starting price, that eventually sold for AUS $401; approximately £219. That seems closer to the true market value, to me.
Old 04-20-2018, 01:15 PM   #6
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2009
In the dark, near the Tannhäuser Gate

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepeanut View Post
Does it, though?

I regularly see it listed for between £300 and £400, but I can’t remember the last time I saw a copy sell for that much. There was one on eBay AU recently, with a low starting price, that eventually sold for AUS $401; approximately £219. That seems closer to the true market value, to me.
I did say 'up to'.

I'd never sell it, so the 'true market value' doesn't really interest me anyway.
"I was just fixing some ice tea; would you like a glass?"
"Yeah, unless you got a bottle of beer that's not working"

"Farmers talk of nothing but fertilizer and women. I've never shared their enthusiasm for fertilizer. As for women, I became indifferent when I was eighty-three."

"I have no illusions about my looks. I think my face is funny."
Old 04-20-2018, 01:33 PM   #7
Expert Member

Apr 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patient-X View Post
I did say 'up to'.

I'd never sell it, so the 'true market value' doesn't really interest me anyway.
Mine is also one of my most cherished BDs, and I would never sell it either. But, as I understand this thread, the monetary value — for OOP items that means the true market value — is a definite factor, as well as sentimental value.

Mizoguchi is one of my top directors — I own all of his English-friendly BDs and DVDs, worldwide — but I don’t think £400 is a reasonable expectation in 2018.
Old 04-20-2018, 01:46 PM   #8

Jan 2017
Wales

Quote:
Mine is also one of my most cherished BDs, and I would never sell it either. But, as I understand this thread, the monetary value — for OOP items that means the true market value — is a definite factor, as well as sentimental value.

Mizoguchi is one of my top directors — I own all of his English-friendly BDs and DVDs, worldwide — but I don’t think £400 is a reasonable expectation in 2018.
Sorry, I'm very unfamiliar with the set, why the £400 price tag (or thereabouts) just a really limited print run? But even then, the price tag is extortionate.

UV Codes for sale here:
Old 04-20-2018, 01:50 PM   #9
Expert Member

Apr 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmw98 View Post
Sorry, I'm very unfamiliar with the set, why the £400 price tag (or thereabouts) just a really limited print run? But even then, the price tag is extortionate.
Eight-film box set by one of world cinema’s best directors, issued in a numbered limited edition of 2,000 copies (plus around 50 unnumbered promo copies), on one of the most collectible boutique labels (Masters of Cinema). The set includes several films unavailable elsewhere on BD, and it is long OOP.
Old 04-20-2018, 01:52 PM   #10
Expert Member

Oct 2011
Italy

It is actually a DVD; an italian released boxset of films starring Carole Lombard.
She's my favorite actress and it's quite difficult to find her movies. The boxset is really good, and its value has also increased. Bought at 25€, it is now at 150€.

Last edited by principehomura; 04-20-2018 at 06:47 PM.
Old 04-20-2018, 01:57 PM   #11

Jan 2017
Wales

Quote:
Eight-film box set by one of world cinema’s best directors, issued in a numbered limited edition of 2,000 copies (plus around 50 unnumbered promo copies), on one of the most collectible boutique labels (Masters of Cinema). The set includes several films unavailable elsewhere on BD, and it is long OOP.
Crazy. Shame I'll never get my hands on it

UV Codes for sale here:
Old 04-20-2018, 02:27 PM   #12
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2014
Aberdeen

I think the most valuable set I had is one I sold (in a fit of madness): I pre-ordered the Korean film The Classic from YesAsia, in a limited wooden box. There was a mastering error and the entire edition was pulped... only mine got shipped minutes before it was withdrawn.

They never did a replacement for the boxes and only issued it in normal Amarays. Wonder what happened to all those boxes?
If I was a duck I'd go quack.

All things prog | Yes World | DVD Basen | Home | MX-5 | Nausicaa | ET | My Criterion
Thanks given by:
Ste7en (04-20-2018)
Old 04-20-2018, 02:38 PM   #13
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2013
Durham, UK

Was this DVD? Pretty sure I have it.

One I 'think' is expensive is my Japanese Disney set in a metal tin shaped like a treasure chest.
Old 04-20-2018, 02:44 PM   #14
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2013
United Kingdom

Haha, I just spent about 30 seconds wondering where my earlier reply had gone, only to discover that this is a totally different thread!

My response is the same as the other thread:

Macross: The Complete Series Collectors box
Neon Genesis Evangelion: The Complete Series Collectors box

Both bought from Japan, and both have a priceless sentimentality attached which is the ONLY reason I paid as much as I did for them!

On top of those, the Kimchi steelbook for Le Grand Bleu, my favourite movie. Again priceless sentimentality attached
Split like light refracted....
....across a moonlit mile
Old 04-20-2018, 03:02 PM   #15
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2014
Aberdeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste7en View Post
Was this DVD? Pretty sure I have it.

One I 'think' is expensive is my Japanese Disney set in a metal tin shaped like a treasure chest.
Yes, back in the heyday of South Korean flics on DVD - there was a great thread about it on The Digital Fix (or the DVD Forums as it was then known).

I had heaps of lovely special sets from that time which I sold when I was trying to cut down; the only one I still have left is the Welcome to Dongmakgol set shaped like a vintage TV.

I still treasure my other K DVDs from that time, like the SE of Il Mare.
If I was a duck I'd go quack.

All things prog | Yes World | DVD Basen | Home | MX-5 | Nausicaa | ET | My Criterion
Thanks given by:
Ste7en (04-20-2018)
Old 04-20-2018, 04:08 PM   #16
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2012

Mine would be my marvel blu rays.

It took me a long time to buy the missing a ones. So now I just keep it up to date
Looking to sell or trade

See my trading/selling thread
Thanks given by:
CompleteCount (04-21-2018)
Old 04-20-2018, 06:21 PM   #17
Special Member

Oct 2013
UK

The Harry Potter Wizard Collection and Breaking Bad Barrel. Also my favourite collectors sets, real novelties!
Most wanted Blu-ray releases

Millions, Bad Taste, Two Brothers, Midnight in Paris, Sleuth (1972), The Hitcher (1986), After Hours, The Sword in the Stone (remastered), Scooby Doo on Zombie Island, Tiny Toon Adventures: How I Spent My Vacation, O Lucky Man!, The Man Who Laughs
Old 04-20-2018, 07:06 PM   #18
Expert Member

Mar 2014

Based purely on the 'easy viewing' factor ,I'd name the below ones..

Price wise, the aboves one were bought on their deal price :£35, £80+, £10 & £70 respectively...

Last edited by DefLeppard; 04-20-2018 at 09:38 PM.
Old 04-20-2018, 07:24 PM   #19
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2013
Durham, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sifox211 View Post
Yes, back in the heyday of South Korean flics on DVD - there was a great thread about it on The Digital Fix (or the DVD Forums as it was then known).

I had heaps of lovely special sets from that time which I sold when I was trying to cut down; the only one I still have left is the Welcome to Dongmakgol set shaped like a vintage TV.

I still treasure my other K DVDs from that time, like the SE of Il Mare.
It is a lovely set. I do have the wooden box of The Classic as well I just can't get to it

Thanks given by:
Sifox211 (04-21-2018)
Old 04-20-2018, 09:15 PM   #20
Special Member

Jun 2010

Mine is a DVD boxset I designed back in the beginning of the 2000s for a German label. It contained the first three films by Peter Jackson: "Bad Taste", "Meet the Feebles" and "Braindead".
I actually got my own copy signed on various occasions by Richard Taylor (Weta), actors Jed Brophy (Braindead) and Mark Hadlow (Meet the Feebles). And on Dec 4th 2015 in Paris I got hold of The Man Himself: Peter Jackson signed my box as well.

Pete
Thanks given by:
N2K7 (04-20-2018), Sifox211 (04-21-2018), Ste7en (04-21-2018), stigdu (04-20-2018), UltraMario9 (04-20-2018)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland