Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Farscape: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$52.99
Malcolm X (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Mad Max: Fury Road (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Hackers (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Entourage: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$89.99
Dressed to Kill (Blu-ray)
$27.99
Mad Max Anthology (Blu-ray)
$54.99
The Wolverine 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Batman Unlimited: Animal Instincts w/ Blu-ray Exclusive Figure (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Day for Night (Blu-ray)
$27.99
The Imitation Game (Blu-ray)
$12.96
Insurgent 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 11-16-2012, 07:27 AM   #1
Blu-ray reviewer

Jul 2007
X
-
-
United Kingdom StudioCanal's Vintage Classics

DVD RELEASES:

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 02-06-2015 at 09:50 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:11 AM   #2
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2011
Leeds, England

Quatermass and the Pit also comes with the "vintage classics" banner.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:36 AM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2008
Leek, Staffordshire

Just received It Always Rains On Sunday...had never seen it before. Restoration by the BFI. Another superb release
Old 12-29-2012, 11:03 AM   #4
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2010
Hibernia

I have been collecting all the titles in the StudioCanal "Vintage Classics" and wanted to clarify something...'Ice Cold In Alex', 'The Cruel Sea' and 'Brighton Rock' are not officially part of the series, correct?...I'm just confused as to why they are shown above...?...I know StudioCanal took over from Optimum sometime after the release dates of these.
(As a side note, I'm pretty sure 'The Cruel Sea' did come with a slipcover although it is not listed as such on the review page, but I don't think 'Brighton Rock' did...??)
I have read several people say 'Quartermass and the Pit' is indeed part of the "Vintage Classics" series although I don't believe it has the usual 'Vintage Classics" banner on the top of the slipcover and the year of release on the slipcover spine- is it on the cover art underneath the slipcover?
Old 12-29-2012, 11:18 AM   #5

Jun 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubliner1 View Post
I have read several people say 'Quartermass and the Pit' is indeed part of the "Vintage Classics" series although I don't believe it has the usual 'Vintage Classics" banner on the top of the slipcover and the year of release on the slipcover spine- is it on the cover art underneath the slipcover?
Yes, under the slipcover it's there.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:22 AM   #6
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2010
Hibernia

Quote:
Originally Posted by psicon View Post
Yes, under the slipcover it's there.
Thanks- just found the below clip on YouTube confirming this...
Old 12-29-2012, 11:24 AM   #7
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2010
Hibernia

'Quartermass and the Pit' unboxing video confirms it is part of 'Vintage Classics' series...'Vintage Classics' in on the inner cover art under the slipcover...@ 2mins 2 secs into video...

Old 12-29-2012, 12:08 PM   #8
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2009
Tokyo

True it does, but I think most are considering "Quatermass" as part of the Studio Canal Hammer releases.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:09 PM   #9
Blu-ray reviewer

Jul 2007
X
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubliner1 View Post
I have been collecting all the titles in the StudioCanal "Vintage Classics" and wanted to clarify something...'Ice Cold In Alex', 'The Cruel Sea' and 'Brighton Rock' are not officially part of the series, correct?...I'm just confused as to why they are shown above...?...
This is correct, Dubliner. I included them because when they were marketed some time ago my press materials had them as vintage classics (not part of the series, though, as I believe that Optimum/Canal decided to have the series much later on. If I recall correctly, some of the restos were also done at Pinewood Studios). These are great films

By the way, I added up Titfield...

Pro-B
Thanks given by:
Dubliner1 (01-27-2015)
Old 12-30-2012, 12:34 AM   #10
Blu-ray reviewer

Jul 2007
X
-
-

The Titfield Thunderbolt Blu-ray REVIEW

Old 12-30-2012, 01:13 AM   #11
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2012
nah

Hey Pro-B

Any chance we could get a review for It Always Rains On Sunday?

Thanks in advance!!!

Old 12-30-2012, 01:15 AM   #12
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2012
nah

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist View Post
Great review, will definitely be checking this one out...a blind buy for me of course!

Old 12-30-2012, 04:31 AM   #13
Blu-ray reviewer

Jul 2007
X
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by *PREACHER* View Post
Hey Pro-B

Any chance we could get a review for It Always Rains On Sunday?

Thanks in advance!!!

Old 12-30-2012, 11:10 AM   #14
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2010
Hibernia

Quote:
This is correct, Dubliner. I included them because when they were marketed some time ago my press materials had them as vintage classics (not part of the series, though, as I believe that Optimum/Canal decided to have the series much later on. If I recall correctly, some of the restos were also done at Pinewood Studios). These are great films

By the way, I added up Titfield...

Pro-B
Thanks a million for the info- Titfield looks like another 'must buy'- I just love the artwork on this series, easily one of the best.
Do you have any news on more titles in the 'Vintage Series' coming out in 2013?...
Old 12-30-2012, 10:02 PM   #15
Blu-ray reviewer

Jul 2007
X
-
-

Upcoming DVD releases:

Nowhere to Go DVD PRE-ORDER

Quote:
Directed by Seth Holt (The Nanny and Blood From The Mummyís Tomb), Nowhere To Go is a stylish, grimy tale of deception and betrayal. A rare, late excursion into film noir for Ealing Studios, scripted by first-time director Holt and critic Ken Tynan. This is the digitally remastered, previously unreleased original 100 minute version of the film.

Paul Gregory (George Nader, Robot Monster) is a thief and conman. He has come to London from Canada in order to rob Harriet Jefferson (Bessie Love, The Lost World) of her rare coin collection. Having sold the coins, he puts the money in a safe deposit box and waits to be arrested, expecting to be out in five years. Sentenced instead to ten years, Gregory breaks out of prison with the help of Victor Sloane (Bernard Lee, The Third Man, Dr, No, Goldfinger, From Russia with Love), planning to collect the money then leave the country. A series of accidents and double-crosses sends Gregory spinning through Londonís criminal underworld, before he ends up on the run in the Welsh countryside with socialite Bridget Howard (Maggie Smith, TVís Downton Abbey, The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie).

Special Features:

- Revisiting Nowhere To Go (a new featurette including crew interviews)
Dance Hall DVD PRE-ORDER

Quote:
Digitally remastered, the first ever DVD release of this lost gem from Ealing Studios features a brand new Making Of featurette.

Story by Alexander Mackendrick (Ladykillers, The Man in the White Suit, Whisky Galore!) and from the director of The Lavender Hill Mob and The Titfield Thunderbolt, Dance Hall is a romantic melodrama centred round the life and loves of four working-class women who spend their Saturday nights at the Chiswick Palais dancing to the music of Ted Heathís Big Band.

Natasha Parry (Romeo & Juliet, Oh, What A Lovely War!) stars as Eve, whose marriage to Phil (Donald Houston, The Longest Day, Room at the Top) is imperilled when she takes a different partner for an upcoming dance contest. Her reasoning is that Phil is a lousy dancer, but she loves him all the same; Phil, however, is the jealous type, who doesnít quite see things Eveís way. Petula Clark (Goodbye Mr Chips, Finianís Rainbow) plays Georgie, whose ambition is to become a dance champion with her partner, Peter (Douglas Barr, Hue and Cry). Among the other familiar faces floating by in Dance Hall are Bonar Colleano, Diana Dors, Sydney Tafler, Gladys Henson, Dandy Nichols and Jane Hylton.

Special Features:

- Making Of featurette
- Restoration Comparison
- Trailer
Pro-B
Old 12-31-2012, 10:34 AM   #16
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2010
Hibernia

Quote:
Upcoming DVD releases:

Pro-B
Thanks again for the info mate. 2 more great titles...hope they will be released on bluray too
Old 12-31-2012, 08:01 PM   #17
Blu-ray reviewer

Jul 2007
X
-
-

You are welcome, Dubliner.

But these won't be coming out on Blu-ray. I'd suggest picking them up on DVD

Pro-B
Old 12-31-2012, 11:52 PM   #18
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2008
Great Britain

Cheers for the thread. Now I know which ones I am missing.
Rule: I'm not buying a blu unless either steelbook/slipcover/digibook but will if its a film I really enjoy or limited
Update : Tue 18th Sep 2012 - Added 56 to Steels part 3/3, 27 to slips 2, 25 to LE

Steelbooks 1 (150) Steelbooks 2 (150) Steelbooks 3 (67) Limited Editions (120) Slips 1/2 (150)
Slips 2/2 (150) Digibooks (6)
Old 01-01-2013, 03:36 PM   #19

Oct 2012
Glasgow, Scotland

I love Don't Look Now and I wish they had more films like that as part of the collection because the slipcover is real nice and would be nice to have a collection like that. I suppose Quatermass and The Pit is kind of in the same niche genre but it's very hard to get a slipcase copy of that these days and I don't know much about it. I feel as if I'd just be buying it as a blind buy.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:41 PM   #20
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2007
...somewhere in Sweden
-

I have all of these releases so far--except Titfield--and they are so wonderful.
really hope many more will be released in the coming years.
kudos to SC for a job well done!
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland