Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Willow (Blu-ray)
$9.96
28 Days Later / 28 Weeks Later (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Psycho (Blu-ray)
$10.98
Planet of the Vampires (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Star Trek: The Compendium (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Minority Report (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events (Blu-ray)
$8.69
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.76
The Hunt (Blu-ray)
$11.49
Old School (Blu-ray)
$5.20
The Sopranos: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$199.99
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.99
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$15.92
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED
Old 01-14-2010, 07:13 AM   #1

Jan 2010
Canada
Default Amazon.com Vs. Amazon.ca

I know this has been discussed before but I am am new blu ray collector. I Have always loved film, but being a starving student never let me pursue this love. Now that I am a little more financially stable I have been buying blu's like crazy, up to over 50 in a little over 2 weeks of collecting. I am on amazon.com right now and the prices there destroy any canadian pricing by a fairly large margin even after shipping and import fee's especially on larger orders. I couldn't fine another thread that continues this discussion of amazon.ca vs. amazon.com but I am curious to know what everyones opinion is right now on amazon.com and if they are the cheapest place to get blu rays. Also helps that our dollar is at .97 currently.

Here is an example of an order.

Items: $68.44
Shipping & Handling: $22.93
Promotion Applied: -$0.00
Promotion Applied: -$0.00

Total Before Tax: $91.37
Estimated Tax:* $0.00
Import Fees Deposit $8.22

Order Total: $99.59 (approx $102 CAN) and will they charge any fees ontop of this that are not shown.

The same order from amazon.ca

Items: CDN$ 122.44
Shipping & Handling: CDN$ 0.00

Total Before Tax: CDN$ 122.44
GST: CDN$ 6.11
PST: CDN$ 9.80

Order Total: CDN$ 138.35

So basically I am curious to know everyones opinion, I have been reading this forum for a week now and I can tell everyone on here shares the same love for films, and the amazing PQ/AQ that blu ray provides. I dont want to wake up one day after ordering and realize I have been dinged additional fee's on top of my subtotal so please chime in on .ca vs .com.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:18 AM   #2

Jul 2007
At the crossroad of Analogue Dr & 2CH Ave

First off, welcome and glad to see another Blu-ray fan!

Can you list the titles you made the comparison for (or the purchase)?

John
John - I love the smell of vinyl in the morning!
My personal motto: "Live Life! Leave A Legacy!"
I reserve the right to post as a member. When I post as a Moderator I will select a color depending on my mood!
AudioQuest - Genesis - Marantz Reference - Mogami - Nitty Gritty - Nottingham - Ortofon - Rega - Valab/King
Old 01-14-2010, 07:34 AM   #3

Jan 2010
Canada

thanks, this seems like an excellent community for blu ray enthusiasts!!!

Amazon.com Pricing:

Item added on January 13, 2010

The Texas Chain Saw Massacre [Blu-ray] - Marilyn Burns; Blu-ray
Condition: New
In Stock

Eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping

Add gift-wrap/note (Learn more) $11.99
You Save:
$17.99 (60%)

Beetlejuice [Blu-ray] - Alec Baldwin; Blu-ray
In Stock

Add gift-wrap/note (Learn more) $9.99
You Save:
$25.00 (71%)

Tim Burton's Corpse Bride [Blu-ray] - Johnny Depp; Blu-ray
In Stock

Add gift-wrap/note (Learn more) $11.49
You Save:
$17.50 (60%)

I Am Legend [Blu-ray] - Will Smith; Blu-ray
In Stock

Add gift-wrap/note (Learn more) $14.99
You Save:
$21.00 (58%)

Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines [Blu-ray] - Arnold Schwarzenegger; Blu-ray
In Stock

You Save:
$4.99 (33%)

Final Destination [Blu-ray] - Devon Sawa; Blu-ray
In Stock

You Save:
$9.99 (50

Item added on Jan 13 2010

Amazon.ca Pricing

Final Destination 1 [Blu-ray] - Alliance (Universal); Blu-ray
In Stock

Add gift-wrap/note (Learn more) CDN$ 21.49
You Save:
CDN$ 9.50 (31%)

Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines [Blu-ray] - Warner; Blu-ray
In Stock

Add gift-wrap/note (Learn more) CDN$ 19.99
You Save:
CDN$ 12.00 (38%)

Corpse Bride [Blu-ray] - Tim Burton; Blu-ray
In Stock

You Save:
CDN$ 12.00 (38%)

Beetlejuice [Blu-ray] - Warner; Blu-ray
In Stock

You Save:
CDN$ 18.00 (47%)

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre [Blu-ray] - Tobe Hooper; Blu-ray
In Stock

Add gift-wrap/note (Learn more) CDN$ 24.49
You Save:
CDN$ 10.50 (30%)

I Am Legend [Blu-ray] - Warner; Blu-ray
Usually ships in 2 to 4 weeks

Add gift-wrap/note (Learn more) CDN$ 16.49
You Save:
CDN$ 7.50 (31%)

It seems to me that most of the pricing on amazon.ca is almost double and in some cases much more than that when compared to amazon.com. I could be wrong, and maybe there are more fee's not listed in the subtotal but amazon.com seems like the way to go for canadians

Last edited by Arbsy; 01-14-2010 at 07:40 AM.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:00 AM   #4

Feb 2009
Canada
-
-

Yes, you're absolutely right. Amazon.com is the far better choice to shop for blu-rays. I only buy from Amazon.ca every now and then, like when there is some sort of sale or thing going on.

You should also look into Amazon.co.uk. They have some amazing deals there, too. Band of Brothers, and The Bourne Trilogy are the hottest ones right now.

Last edited by JB3Royce; 01-14-2010 at 08:03 AM.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:20 AM   #5

Jul 2007
At the crossroad of Analogue Dr & 2CH Ave

Thanks for that title listing, although you didn't have to get into as much detail as you did. I just wanted to be sure that you were comparing apples to apples. Thank you however for the time you took to write it up.

There is no question that in general the US site is usually cheaper than the CA site, and that will probably never change. However, you have to be a smart consumer in this game as Blu-rays are still quite expensive. For me, one way of doing that is to hold off on purchasing first-day releases, as I know the pricing will come down. The second thing I do is look at the 3 main Amazon sites, which are US, CA and UK, and I do this on a regular basis as things can change daily. To date, I have found the best deals on Amazon UK and I order more from there than the other 2.

Regarding Amazon US pricing, I can find the same deals locally many times if I look and search carefully at other sites and local B&M's. I've not paid more than $20CDN for any Blu-ray in the last year, and I won't either.

I will also not pay for the outrageous shipping and handling Amazon US charges, plus the forced Import Duties. I saw that the US S&H plus Import Duty on your Amazon US order was over $30 on $68 order. That I cannot stomach and I will not buy from them as a result.

I ordered The Ultimate Bourne Collection from Amazon UK. Here are the stats:

Blu-ray: 15.55 BP
S&H: 3.08 BP
Total: 18.63 BP ($31.25 CDN)

My order arrived and I paid ZERO duties, ZERO taxes.

I'm glad that you are happy with your purchase, as you should be. However I have not and will not be ordering from Amazon US anytime soon.

John
John - I love the smell of vinyl in the morning!
My personal motto: "Live Life! Leave A Legacy!"
I reserve the right to post as a member. When I post as a Moderator I will select a color depending on my mood!
AudioQuest - Genesis - Marantz Reference - Mogami - Nitty Gritty - Nottingham - Ortofon - Rega - Valab/King
Old 01-14-2010, 09:15 AM   #6

Aug 2007
Canada
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbsy View Post
So basically I am curious to know everyones opinion, I have been reading this forum for a week now and I can tell everyone on here shares the same love for films, and the amazing PQ/AQ that blu ray provides. I dont want to wake up one day after ordering and realize I have been dinged additional fee's on top of my subtotal so please chime in on .ca vs .com.
Welcome Arbsy! Amazon.com used to be a a really great deal a couple years ago before they starting charging import fees and they raised their shipping charges. Now they are only an okay deal but that is mostly due to the current exchange as you mentioned. You're right though, compared to Amazon.ca it is a bargain but Amazon.ca ranks very low on the bargain scale. You should really check out the Columbia House Canada thread if you buy large numbers of blu-rays. It's the best deal in Canada for new release blu-rays without question. As an example, if you purchase 8 blu-rays at a time (not too difficult with pre-orders) your total with shipping is $146.23. That works out to $18.28 per blu-ray plus tax. The only downside is the delivery times can be very slow on occasion so, if you require instant gratification over savings, Columbia House Canada may not be for you.
Old 01-14-2010, 05:59 PM   #7

Jan 2010
Canada

thanks for all the help and kindness, has been extremely useful for a blu ray newbie like myself. I have checked out the uk amazon site and there are some great deals to be had there aswell. My only question is do the uk blu's use thicker cases? I heard that they did, but I could be mistaken. We need more competative pricing here in canada so we arent forced to look for options outside of our country.
Old 01-14-2010, 06:04 PM   #8

Jan 2010
Canada

Ahh but I forgot about the region coding, so Im guessing Id need a region free blu ray player to play a blu ray I purchase off the uk amazon site, correct?
Old 01-15-2010, 06:45 PM   #9
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2009
CT

You only need a region free player if the movie is Region B only, the reason amazon UK is good is because there are alot of imports that are in fact region free such as the Bourne Trilogy. Also alot of movies that haven't been released in the US or Canada can be had for decent prices. Just make sure they are region free before ordering
Old 01-16-2010, 10:47 AM   #10

Aug 2007
Canada
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbsy View Post
Ahh but I forgot about the region coding, so Im guessing Id need a region free blu ray player to play a blu ray I purchase off the uk amazon site, correct?
You can check region coding for specific movies by checking the reviews here on blu-ray.com and also by referencing the following site.

http://bluray.liesinc.net/
Old 01-30-2010, 03:09 AM   #11

Aug 2008
Stouffville, Ontario, Canada

As a fellow Canadian, I tend only to use amazon.com when I go to purchase Criterion Collection or Blue Underground films...

I usually end up saving at least $8 per title purchased...as the prices for Criterions are usually $30 in Canada plus tax and never really go on sale
TV: LG 42LG30
Speakers: SVSound - SCS-01 x 5
Subwoofers: Two (2) Polk Audio PSW-10
Amp: Sony STRDG-820
Blu-ray Player: Sony S-350
Old 01-31-2010, 02:55 AM   #12

Jan 2010
Georgia

so a region free blu ray will work on any blu ray player? i've been looking at some blu rays on amazon uk that i want that are region free but i've been scared to get them because i don't want them to not work on my blu ray player.. i have an Panasonic DMP-BD70V if that makes any difference
Old 01-31-2010, 03:03 AM   #13
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2007
Metropolis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler C View Post
so a region free blu ray will work on any blu ray player? i've been looking at some blu rays on amazon uk that i want that are region free but i've been scared to get them because i don't want them to not work on my blu ray player.. i have an Panasonic DMP-BD70V if that makes any difference
Definitely, except in the case where the region-free Blu-ray is encoded in 1080i/50 Hz video. But the vast majority (over 90%) of region-free films will play on your machine perfectly. Do be aware that bonus features like standard definition interviews often won't play because they are in the PAL format, but that does not affect the main movie at all.

If you have a particular Blu-ray in mind, just ask about its region-status here and someone will usually answer.
Old 01-31-2010, 03:07 AM   #14

Jan 2010
Georgia

ok thanks! i finally bought a blu ray player about a month ago and i've been in love with it ever since. and i've been obsessed with trying to get all of my favorite movies on blu. lol
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Hot Deals > Movie and TV Deals > Retail/Shopping