Best Blu-ray Deals

Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
How to Train Your Dragon 2 (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Entourage: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$96.99
Guardians of the Galaxy 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Deadwood: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$58.99
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Battlestar Galactica: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$89.99
Treme: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$64.99
Rise of the Guardians 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Sons of Anarchy: Seasons 1-6 (Blu-ray)
$119.99
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3D (Blu-ray)
$69.99
Sin City: A Dame to Kill For (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Dragon Ball Z: Season 8 (Blu-ray)
$25.89
Big Hero 6 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Fairy Tail: Part 13 (Blu-ray)
$35.99
The Maze Runner (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED
Old 08-01-2007, 06:39 PM   #1

Jul 2007
South Africa
Default Blu-ray scarce in South Africa

Hey there!

I live in South Africa and went to my local DVD shop the other day to look for some BD's. They had a VERY limited selection, only movies from Sony. I then went to every other store I know of that sells BD's and it was the same story. It seems South Africa is only getting BD's from Sony, no other studios. Wonder if it's because SA thinks Blu-Ray is too risky and won't sell. I don't know. Just wish I had more to choose from. Looks like I'll just have to import until this format war is over. Anyone else have this problem in their country?
Old 08-01-2007, 06:40 PM   #2
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007
Sworn super-hero now services Atlanta (and suburbs).
Send a message via AIM to CptGreedle

How many HD-DVD's there?
Old 08-01-2007, 06:43 PM   #3

Jul 2007
South Africa

None. We only started getting BD's when the PS3 was released here. We can buy HD dvd from our South African online shops but they're not actually in stores.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:20 PM   #4

May 2007
Guam, Pacific Ocean

With 70+ HD titles and growing, I get them exclusively online. Virtually no retailer here sells HD discs, except for the military stores, which sell them at retail prices. The K-Mart here doesn't carry them; GameStop rarely has them and if they do, they demand ridiculous price (I once saw Talladega Nights for $33).
Old 08-01-2007, 11:27 PM   #5

Nov 2006
Toronto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulder View Post
Hey there!

I live in South Africa and went to my local DVD shop the other day to look for some BD's. They had a VERY limited selection, only movies from Sony. I then went to every other store I know of that sells BD's and it was the same story. It seems South Africa is only getting BD's from Sony, no other studios. Wonder if it's because SA thinks Blu-Ray is too risky and won't sell. I don't know. Just wish I had more to choose from. Looks like I'll just have to import until this format war is over. Anyone else have this problem in their country?
How's the HDTV situation in SA? It definitely seems the excitement about HD discs is proportional to the penetration of HDTV and HD broadcasts in a region.

What are the prices for BD discs there, out of curiosity?

Can you import them without too much trouble or cost?

Gary
Old 08-01-2007, 11:29 PM   #6

Nov 2006
Toronto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulder View Post
None. We only started getting BD's when the PS3 was released here. We can buy HD dvd from our South African online shops but they're not actually in stores.
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I'm absolutely thrilled by the international nature of this forum.

It's great to see people from all around the world talking about Blu-ray.

Gary
Old 08-09-2007, 02:44 PM   #7

Jul 2007
South Africa

Quote:
Originally Posted by dialog_gvf View Post
How's the HDTV situation in SA? It definitely seems the excitement about HD discs is proportional to the penetration of HDTV and HD broadcasts in a region.

What are the prices for BD discs there, out of curiosity?

Can you import them without too much trouble or cost?

Gary
People over here tend to think if you buy a HDTV you automatically get superior picture, even if you're watching VHS!

My parents bought a massive HDTV the other day becasue my dad enjoys watching his sport on a big screen. Unfortunately we don't broadcast in HD in SA (yet) so he was very disappointed with the picture quality. I had to explain the whole thing to him and then he understood. He raised an interesting point then: It seems we in South Africa have more than enough HDTV's but no content to go with it. We don't have HD broadcasting, We don't have BD players (except the PS3) and the only BD movies we have here are from Sony.

So you can buy an HDTV anywhere in South Africa, but there's no reason to do so becasue the only way to enjoy HD is to import. Luckily places like Amazon ship stuff here without any problems and we have a few good local online stores that will import BD movies.

I guess we'll catch up soon...
Old 08-09-2007, 02:51 PM   #8

Jul 2007
South Africa

Oh, and considering the cost: I ordered 300 and TMNT from a SA online site and it cost me R570. That's roughly $80 including shipping and handling.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America