Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Willow (Blu-ray)
$9.96
James Cameron's Deepsea Challenge 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.89
John Carter (Blu-ray)
$9.96
28 Days Later / 28 Weeks Later (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Chuck: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$70.20
Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack / Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla (Blu-ray)
$13.59
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Hentai Prince & the Stony Cat: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$32.99
Star Trek: The Compendium (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.76
Game of Thrones - The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$34.99
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.99
Fairy Tail: Part 11 (Blu-ray)
$31.69
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Old 01-27-2010, 02:15 AM   #1
Banned

Oct 2008
Western Washington
Unhappy RIP Robert B. Parker 1932-2010

Now I know the man was an author but so many of his books have been adapted to film and screen. This comes as really shocking news to me, as I have been a fan of his since I first read his books 5 years ago and have read every book of his Jesse Stone series I could get my hands on, my favorite author of all-time has passed, who is responsible for the amazing Appaloosa (adapted to film in 2008), Resolution and Brimstone saga that I was eagerly awaiting the continuation of. RIP Robert B. Parker, you will definitely be missed

BOSTON — Robert B. Parker, the blunt and beloved crime novelist who helped revive and modernize the hard-boiled genre and branded a tough guy of his own through his "Spenser" series, has died. He was 77.

The cause of death was unclear. Parker's longtime agent, Helen Brann, said the author's widow, Joan, called her Monday right after finding him dead at his desk in their Cambridge, Mass., home.

"They had had breakfast together Monday, and he was perfectly fine," Brann said. "She went out to do her running and when she came back about an hour later, he was dead."

Prolific to the end, Parker wrote more than 50 novels, including 37 featuring Boston private eye Spenser. The character's first name was a mystery, with his last name emphatically spelled with an "s" in the middle, not a "c."

The character was the basis for the 1980s TV series "Spenser: For Hire," starring Robert Urich. Parker later said the only thing he liked about the program was the residual checks.

Parker admired Raymond Chandler and other classic crime writers and helped bring back their cool, clipped style in the first "Spenser" novel, "The Godwulf Manuscript," from 1973. Within a few years, with "Looking for Rachel Wallace" and "Early Autumn," he was acclaimed as a master in his own right.

Parker also was known for his Sunny Randall and Jesse Stone series. His other books included a novel inspired by the life of Jackie Robinson, "Double Play"; the Westerns "Appaloosa," "Resolution" and "Brimstone"; and "Perchance to Dream," a sequel to Chandler's "The Big Sleep."

Parker won two Edgar Awards from the Mystery Writers of America and a Grand Master Edgar in 2002 for lifetime achievement. A new Jesse Stone novel, "Split Image," is scheduled to come out next month.

More than 4 million copies of Parker's books have sold worldwide, Brann said.

A native of Springfield, Mass., Parker studied as an undergraduate at Colby College and received a Ph.D. in English from Boston University, where his dissertation was on Dashiell Hammett and Chandler, whom he made no secret of imitating. He was teaching at Northeastern University when he created Spenser, observing later that he was inspired in part because Chandler was dead and he missed his famous detective, Philip Marlowe.

Read More
Old 01-27-2010, 02:20 AM   #2
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2009
☣☣☣☣☣

Loved the book and film Appaloosa
- - - Breaking Bad - - -
Old 01-27-2010, 02:27 AM   #3
Banned

Oct 2008
Western Washington

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstasa51 View Post
Loved the book and film Appaloosa
I read all three books of his Appaloosa, Resolution and Brimstone series in probably 5 days. I couldn't put them down with the exception of work not allowing me to. Having just released Brimstone, I knew it was going to be awhile before he read anymore of Virgil and Everett. That really destroys me, knowing we will never read another one of their adventures. The man who actually got me to read and inspired me to write is gone........
Old 01-27-2010, 02:35 AM   #4
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2009
☣☣☣☣☣

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyldeMan45 View Post
I read all three books of his Appaloosa, Resolution and Brimstone series in probably 5 days. I couldn't put them down with the exception of work not allowing me to. Having just released Brimstone, I knew it was going to be awhile before he read anymore of Virgil and Everett. That really destroys me, knowing we will never read another one of their adventures. The man who actually got me to read and inspired me to write is gone........
I hear ya! I look forward to reading the rest of his collection
- - - Breaking Bad - - -
Old 01-27-2010, 03:37 AM   #5
Banned

Oct 2008
Western Washington

This is the last book that Robert completed before he died, due to be released in less than 1 month:

Split Image (Jesse Stone)
Old 01-27-2010, 04:21 AM   #6
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2008
Wisconsin

I was deeply saddened when I heard about his passing a few days ago. I really enjoyed his Jesse Stone novels. RIP Mr. Parker.
"You just got chiefed! Come back when you're ready to play with the big dogs."

PSN: Darkhawk9587

Old 01-27-2010, 06:08 AM   #7
Banned

Oct 2008
Western Washington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhawk9587 View Post
I was deeply saddened when I heard about his passing a few days ago. I really enjoyed his Jesse Stone novels. RIP Mr. Parker.
I didn't see any news about this anywhere until tonight. Ironically, I was logging in to my local libraries website to see if I had gotten the latest Jesse Stone book he wrote, and his death was the headline. How is that for surreal?
Old 01-27-2010, 09:54 AM   #8
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

I saw this thread title and thought you meant Bob Barker, former host of Price is Right! LOL!
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." - Jimi Hendrix
Old 01-27-2010, 09:44 PM   #9
Banned

Oct 2008
Western Washington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelmaker View Post
I saw this thread title and thought you meant Bob Barker, former host of Price is Right! LOL!
No I meant a man with real talent.
Old 01-29-2010, 01:26 AM   #10
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2007
Nebraska

Man that sucks. The Appaloosa trilogy was by far my favorite book series.
Most Wanted on Blu: Before Sunrise/Sunset The Human Condition The Shootist McCabe and Mrs. Miller Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? Scarecrow Le Samouraï Arsenic and Old Lace Roman Holiday Matchstick Men Solaris (2002) Requiem for a Heavyweight Man in the Shadow Bad Company (1972) The Friends of Eddie Coyle Return to Snowy River As I Lay Dying Narc Me and Orson Welles Big Fan Lights Out (tv series)
Old 01-29-2010, 01:27 AM   #11
Banned

Oct 2008
Western Washington

Quote:
Originally Posted by broganreynik View Post
Man that sucks. The Appaloosa trilogy was by far my favorite book series.
I read the saga probably 5 times through, I was so excited for a 4th book too.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies