Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
21 hrs ago
Edge of Tomorrow 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
21 hrs ago
Alien Anthology and Prometheus (Blu-ray)
$19.98

Godzilla 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
17 hrs ago
Edge of Tomorrow (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Blu-ray)
$14.99
21 hrs ago
Halloween: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$79.99

The Wizard of Oz 3D (Blu-ray)
$46.70
8 hrs ago
Grimm: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$24.99
6 hrs ago
Jersey Boys (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Free Birds (Blu-ray)
$4.99
6 hrs ago
Neighbors (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Arrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 02-10-2010, 06:46 PM   #1

Jan 2010
The Outer Limits
Default Mad Men Season 1 under review by AMZ, Defects?

Apparently Mad Men Season 1 is currently not being sold on Amazon.com, as there are possible defects or defective units in their entire stock. I called and spoke with a gentleman at Amazon who really told me nothing more than this. The thing is I just received the copy I ordered a few days ago, today, which obviously makes me wonder if the copy I received is defective.

Has anyone recently ordered Mad Men Season 1 and had problems with it? What were the problems (if any) that you encountered? I, unfortunately will not have time to view this entire season (and check for defects) for some time, and would appreciate any help or insight into checking if my copy is defective or not.

Thanks for any help you may provide.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:53 PM   #2
Blu-ray Baron

Nov 2007
Iowa

I didn't have any problems with season 1 that I bought in 2008. I wonder if they printed a new batch that had problems because it seems like a problem would have been discovered before now. If you are worried you should just return the your copy to Amazon.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:56 PM   #3
Blu-ray Duke

Dec 2007
Club Loop

Amazon does this with some degree of regularity. If the hear a whisper of a problem, they freeze shipments until they get to the bottom of the problem. 9 times out of 10, there is no problem and orders begin shipping very soon ( a day or so).

There would probably be chatter all over this board if there were a problem with your set. In fact, I usually see problems discussed here before Amazon catches wind of the issue.

You are probably safe.
Because Calamari Marionette Ph.D sounded pompous, that's why.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:01 PM   #4

Jan 2010
The Outer Limits

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquidPuppet View Post
Amazon does this with some degree of regularity. If the hear a whisper of a problem, they freeze shipments until they get to the bottom of the problem. 9 times out of 10, there is no problem and orders begin shipping very soon ( a day or so).

There would probably be chatter all over this board if there were a problem with your set. In fact, I usually see problems discussed here before Amazon catches wind of the issue.

You are probably safe.
Thank you kindly Squid, for the reassurance. I sure hope you are right! I may do a few random spot episode checks tonight and just try each disc, can't wait to dive into the show...just need more time

I would assume you to be exactly correct, first thing I did when I heard that was search the forums for anyone with issues, and aside from a few back in 2008 with disc warpage (may/may have not been manufacturing defect), it seems like there have been no recent complaints at all.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:04 PM   #5
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007
Club Loop

bought it in 12/09, my copy played fine.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:27 PM   #6

Sep 2008

Bought mine around Black Friday 09...have actually just started watching Season 1 and so far so good!

My name is Patrick Bateman. I'm 27 years old.
I believe in taking care of myself and a balanced
diet and rigorous exercise routine. In the morning,
if my face is a little puffy, I'll put on an ice pack while
doing stomach crunches. I can do a thousand now.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:39 PM   #7
Blu-ray Duke

Dec 2007
Club Loop

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrock41 View Post
Thank you kindly Squid, for the reassurance. I sure hope you are right! I may do a few random spot episode checks tonight and just try each disc, can't wait to dive into the show...just need more time

I would assume you to be exactly correct, first thing I did when I heard that was search the forums for anyone with issues, and aside from a few back in 2008 with disc warpage (may/may have not been manufacturing defect), it seems like there have been no recent complaints at all.
Maybe, if you want to be safe, leave it unopened for a couple days and take a look at Amazon to see if they have removed the embargo.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:06 PM   #8
Expert Member

Jan 2010
California

I just recently started watching Mad Men and the discs i've been getting from netflix have not had any problems. I'm glad I read this though because I was thinking about purchasing season 1 soon.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:18 PM   #9

Jan 2010
The Outer Limits

Quote:
Originally Posted by giannirenna View Post
I just recently started watching Mad Men and the discs i've been getting from netflix have not had any problems. I'm glad I read this though because I was thinking about purchasing season 1 soon.
Well, I will certainly let you know how my discs work out, and/or what I find to assist with your potential purchase. As Squidpuppet said, it will be a very good sign if they begin selling them again on Amazon in the next few days.

I did call back and requested more information from Amazon, this time the person was fairly helpful and explained that 1 customer had a problem, they replaced his set, and the same customer had the same problem (which they would not discuss in detail) as he had with his first order. If it was just a simple issue such as he has not updated his firmware, or something like that, it may have nothing to do with the discs. Amazon could not confirm/deny if the issue could potentially be caused by old versions of firmware, or if in fact it was the discs. I asked them if it the action of stopping selling them all together might be overkill considering it could very well be the customer's own mistake, he strongly agreed, but said Amazon would prefer to be more safe than sorry.

With the number of people I also know (both on this forum and off) that have recently purchased it, it would make much more sense to me that it was 1 guy who popped these in his player while simultaneously asking "Hmm, I wonder what firmware is?" that may be the root of the problem.

I'll keep you posted.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:31 PM   #10
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2009
USA

Quote:
Well, I will certainly let you know how my discs work out, and/or what I find to assist with your potential purchase. As Squidpuppet said, it will be a very good sign if they begin selling them again on Amazon in the next few days.

I did call back and requested more information from Amazon, this time the person was fairly helpful and explained that 1 customer had a problem, they replaced his set, and the same customer had the same problem (which they would not discuss in detail) as he had with his first order. If it was just a simple issue such as he has not updated his firmware, or something like that, it may have nothing to do with the discs. Amazon could not confirm/deny if the issue could potentially be caused by old versions of firmware, or if in fact it was the discs. I asked them if it the action of stopping selling them all together might be overkill considering it could very well be the customer's own mistake, he strongly agreed, but said Amazon would prefer to be more safe than sorry.

With the number of people I also know (both on this forum and off) that have recently purchased it, it would make much more sense to me that it was 1 guy who popped these in his player while simultaneously asking "Hmm, I wonder what firmware is?" that may be the root of the problem.

I'll keep you posted.
It took only one customer complaint to stop them from selling it temporarily? YIKES!
Old 02-10-2010, 08:33 PM   #11
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2007
Tucson, Az USA

I heard this is a very good show and am planning on purchasing to find out myself. It's good to know of retailers examining or researching their stock to see if there are any problems based on legitimate complaints. Saves me the hassle of returning, should there actually be issues.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:53 PM   #12

Jan 2010
The Outer Limits

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyJack View Post
It took only one customer complaint to stop them from selling it temporarily? YIKES!
Per what the representative that I spoke with said, that is correct. It is interesting as well because if it is a widespread problem, one could assume the reviews for the product on the Amazon page for Mad Men Season 1 would reflect customers disappointment and defective units, but there really is not any problems short of 1 customer, whom purchased his quite a lengthy period of time ago (Aug 2009).
Old 02-10-2010, 09:05 PM   #13
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2009
PA

Well a couple weeks ago I bought Season 1 but when I got it, the cover looked like it was soaked in water and dried. Then I got a new one and it was still that way a little bit but figured whatever. It could be because of the weather, but it's never happened before. Not sure.

So this could be why? I haven't watched it yet though so I don't know if it's anything with the discs.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:23 PM   #14

Jan 2010
The Outer Limits

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtosayx View Post
Well a couple weeks ago I bought Season 1 but when I got it, the cover looked like it was soaked in water and dried. Then I got a new one and it was still that way a little bit but figured whatever. It could be because of the weather, but it's never happened before. Not sure.

So this could be why? I haven't watched it yet though so I don't know if it's anything with the discs.
Mine looks similar, it looked like my cover has been over vacuum packed or something, it has many creases and and is 'squished' but the case itself is not cracked and looks to be in good shape. Maybe these packaging problems is the issue? Who knows? We'll see soon enough...
Old 02-10-2010, 09:40 PM   #15
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2009
PA

Quote:
Mine looks similar, it looked like my cover has been over vacuum packed or something, it has many creases and and is 'squished' but the case itself is not cracked and looks to be in good shape. Maybe these packaging problems is the issue? Who knows? We'll see soon enough...
Very possible, the notice on the site does say something about it could be the way it was shipped. But now... it's back up on the site to buy haha
Old 02-10-2010, 09:42 PM   #16
Blu-ray Duke

Dec 2007
Club Loop

Quote:
With some of the MEGA-SUPER-OCD people on this site, I wouldnt be surprised.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:44 PM   #17
Blu-ray Duke

Dec 2007
Club Loop

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtosayx View Post
Very possible, the notice on the site does say something about it could be the way it was shipped. But now... it's back up on the site to buy haha
TOLDYASO OP
Old 02-10-2010, 09:49 PM   #18

Jan 2009

Ordered mine on Black Friday and it's perfect...Great show!
Old 02-10-2010, 09:49 PM   #19
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2007
USA

Problem Solved, no need to speculate. Amazon does this alot based on complaints received

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0017JKEL8
"I am jw and I approve this message
Old 02-10-2010, 10:38 PM   #20

Jan 2010
The Outer Limits

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquidPuppet View Post
TOLDYASO OP
You sure did Thanks for the help! I'm going to try out the discs tonight, but as one might assume, they hopefully will work fine and the problem was an issue with the packaging or something unrelated. Thanks!
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America