Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Nekromantik (Blu-ray)
$20.19
Sons of Anarchy: Seasons 1-6 (Blu-ray)
$172.59
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Pumpkinhead (Blu-ray)
$18.99
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.98
Minority Report (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Woodstock: 3 Days of Peace & Music (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.99
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$15.94
The Simpsons: The Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.96
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$58.30
Friday the 13th: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$75.49
Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (Blu-ray)
$10.39
Dragon Ball Z: Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$17.99
James Cameron's Deepsea Challenge 3D (Blu-ray)
$18.68
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 02-10-2010, 09:38 PM   #21

Jan 2010
The Outer Limits

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbbud View Post
Problem Solved, no need to speculate. Amazon does this alot based on complaints received

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0017JKEL8
Thanks, jwbbud! I appreciate it.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:40 PM   #22

Jan 2010
The Outer Limits

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquidPuppet View Post
With some of the MEGA-SUPER-OCD people on this site, I wouldnt be surprised.

*cough* adrock41 *cough*
Old 02-10-2010, 09:53 PM   #23
Power Member

Oct 2008
Ohio

I hate to say it, but it was me who froze out Mad Men being sold. What the deal was I had bought season one...got most of the way through it then on the episode "Long Weekend"...around the 46min 20sec mark, you hear a pop and the sound goes out. I contacted Amazon...got a replacement, and it happened again. The same thing happened on both players I own (and on a buddies system I know). There was no firmware update. Upon researching it a tad, if you read some of the reviews on Amazon for the set, a few other people have had the exact same problem. So, when I request yet another replacement, Amazon comes back and tells me to just send it back for a refund. Well, I didnt want to do that and wanted to try another copy and told them so. Basically, I was told to ship it back for the refund and they would research it. That happened this morning.

I applaud Amazon for actually taking the steps to check out the problem (if they did so).

Anyways...sorry for those who went to order it today. If I have a problem with a disc, I will try to get a replacement but upon the second try...it wasnt happening.
Someday we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny
Old 02-10-2010, 09:55 PM   #24
Power Member

Oct 2008
Ohio

...btw...apparently the problem is not 'wide spread'..not at all...and I told Amazon that. Must just be a bad batch not diggin' certain players.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:03 PM   #25

Jan 2010
The Outer Limits

Quote:
Originally Posted by borninusa View Post
I hate to say it, but it was me who froze out Mad Men being sold. What the deal was I had bought season one...got most of the way through it then on the episode "Long Weekend"...around the 46min 20sec mark, you hear a pop and the sound goes out. I contacted Amazon...got a replacement, and it happened again. The same thing happened on both players I own (and on a buddies system I know). There was no firmware update. Upon researching it a tad, if you read some of the reviews on Amazon for the set, a few other people have had the exact same problem. So, when I request yet another replacement, Amazon comes back and tells me to just send it back for a refund. Well, I didnt want to do that and wanted to try another copy and told them so. Basically, I was told to ship it back for the refund and they would research it. That happened this morning.

I applaud Amazon for actually taking the steps to check out the problem (if they did so).

Anyways...sorry for those who went to order it today. If I have a problem with a disc, I will try to get a replacement but upon the second try...it wasnt happening.
Ah ha! I had kind of hoped this to be the case! Thank you very much for citing your problems specifically! I really appreciate it. I figured it may have been someone whom participated on this forum. I will check my copy tonight at that mark on the episode and see if I have any audio problems. Thank you so much for citing your specific defect so that I can check my copy out. I, as I am sure others do, really appreciate it!

Thanks, borninusa!
Old 02-10-2010, 10:06 PM   #26

Jan 2010
The Outer Limits

Quote:
...btw...apparently the problem is not 'wide spread'..not at all...and I told Amazon that. Must just be a bad batch not diggin' certain players.
I actually received my copy today, I ordered it on Monday, and happened to notice on Amazon today (after I received it) that it was no longer up for sale. I started this thread to see if anyone had experienced issues as I am worried my copy may be affected, but as I stated, now I can check it out! Thanks for your help.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:06 PM   #27
Power Member

Oct 2008
Ohio

Again, sorry about that but I dont do a defective product. I did a quickie search and someone on dvdtalk had the same problem. I take that back, his problem varied just a bit. When he heard the pop, his sound didnt go out like mine but for the next 30 seconds there was a 'noise'. I am fairly sure its the 46min 20 second mark though.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:07 PM   #28
Blu-ray Duke

Dec 2007
Club Loop

Quote:

Unbelievable. You ruined contless lives with your selfish behavior.
Because Calamari Marionette Ph.D sounded pompous, that's why.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:09 PM   #29
Power Member

Oct 2008
Ohio

btw.....if you play that specific episode...and skip to that point...skip to the point 'before' the potential defect. If you skip to after the defect and 'rewind' a bit, it seems to play. Go to like the 46 min mark and just let it play.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:10 PM   #30
Power Member

Oct 2008
Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquidPuppet View Post
Unbelievable. You ruined contless lives with your selfish behavior.

How will the masses function tonight? I just dont know
Old 02-10-2010, 10:12 PM   #31

Jan 2010
The Outer Limits

Quote:
Again, sorry about that but I dont do a defective product. I did a quickie search and someone on dvdtalk had the same problem. I take that back, his problem varied just a bit. When he heard the pop, his sound didnt go out like mine but for the next 30 seconds there was a 'noise'. I am fairly sure its the 46min 20 second mark though.
Hey! I'm with you brother! I would have hated to find this was defective in like a month when I actually find time to watch the whole season I appreciate your help and your tip! I'll check my copy out tonight. Thanks, again!
Old 02-10-2010, 10:16 PM   #32
Power Member

Oct 2008
Ohio

It sucks cause I want the title in my collection. I will order it again down the road for maybe I just got a bad pressing.

Anyways...hopefully this is not some widespread thing...and it doesnt appear to be.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:17 PM   #33
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2009
PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrock41 View Post
Hey! I'm with you brother! I would have hated to find this was defective in like a month when I actually find time to watch the whole season I appreciate your help and your tip! I'll check my copy out tonight. Thanks, again!
Same.. now I'm worried that mine won't work so I'm gonna try mine later before it's too late. Because I know I won't be watching it any time soon with everything else I'm in the middle of watching.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:50 PM   #34
Expert Member

Nov 2007
Calgary, Alberta

Bought mine when it was first released, and have had no problems with it.
"...you should use your full name, I like that name.....Robin" Though Robin isn't a full name nor is it any of the Robin's actual names, David S Goyer, everyone! The "S" stands for Shitty Writer.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:52 PM   #35

Nov 2007
San Francisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtosayx View Post
Well a couple weeks ago I bought Season 1 but when I got it, the cover looked like it was soaked in water and dried. Then I got a new one and it was still that way a little bit but figured whatever. It could be because of the weather, but it's never happened before. Not sure.

So this could be why? I haven't watched it yet though so I don't know if it's anything with the discs.
Mine was that way as well. (Got it from Amazon on Black Friday.) Turned out that the cover was just ever-so-slightly too large for the case and so was crimped under the clear plastic. But rather than trim the cover with scissors (which I'm sure I would have botched), I replaced the case with a spare one that I had lying around (it was either the 'Up' or 'Sleeping Beauty' case that I replaced with steelbooks). Fits perfectly now, and the cover has smoothed out.

BTW, I've noticed the exact same crimped cover with MMS1 copies at several Best Buys, so it must be pretty common.
Panasonic TC-P65VT50 65" plasma & Oppo BDP-103 Blu-ray
Pioneer Kuro PDP-5010FD 50" plasma & Pioneer BDP-95FD Blu-ray
Old 02-10-2010, 11:55 PM   #36
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2009
USA

Will people actually return the movie just because of the cover? It's what's inside that really counts, right?
Old 02-11-2010, 12:20 AM   #37
Power Member

Oct 2008
Ohio

Another btw...I have a Sony 550..and a 300(crap...I forget the model number on that one)...but the disc screwed up in both players
Old 02-11-2010, 12:33 AM   #38

Jan 2010
The Outer Limits
Default And the verdict is....

Quote:
Another btw...I have a Sony 550..and a 300(crap...I forget the model number on that one)...but the disc screwed up in both players
Borninusa, I am very sorry to hear of your troubles with MMS1, so I got home and watched the entire episode you mentioned (along with trying all 3 discs) and I experienced *NO* audio drop outs, pops, or errors. It played like a dream.

I would assume anyone looking to purchase MMS1 is safe to do so, especially as if Amazon stopped selling it today, and already began reselling it, any remainded defective copies have been isolated and/or removed (one could assume).

FWIW, the case being 'squished' is disappointing, but as a previous poster said, I have seen copies from many sources (BB, Amazon,etc) that do in fact all have that issue. I would not send back a BD for this problem, but if there was audio drop outs and pops, that is another story!

Anyways, Borninusa, I would assume you to be safe to add this to your collection unless it is in fact caused by your player(s). I have a Panasonic DMP-BD60 and had no issue with MMS1.

Ended up being a great day, my Canadian issues showed up today, I got From Dusk Til Dawn and Swingers, and I don't have to send back Mad Men! Hoo-Rah!

If anyone has any questions, feel free to post or PM me. Thanks everyone for your help and chiming in, I appreciate it.
Old 03-05-2010, 02:29 AM   #39
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2010
Grapes Are Fun!
Send a message via AIM to The_Basterd

Quote:

Oh my gawd. I am having the same problem. Same episode and I bought mine from Best Buy a couple weeks ago. I am so glad I am not having the same problem.
After I got to disc 2 I threw out my receipt and thought nothing of it. Then I get to that episode and boom, there is this loud noise. I have to do a quick fast forward to make it go away. I am so glad to hear I am not the only one having this problem.

If I explain to Best Buy what happened, do you think they will let me exchange without a receipt?
Old 03-05-2010, 03:14 AM   #40
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2010
Grapes Are Fun!
Send a message via AIM to The_Basterd

Does anyone think that will work?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America