COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Steven Spielberg Director's Collection (Blu-ray)
$91.99
Paul McCartney & Wings: Rockshow (Blu-ray)
$15.88
Y Tu Mamá También (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Okami-San & Her Seven Companions: Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$23.99
Ministry of Fear (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Other Woman (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase One - Avengers Assembled (Blu-ray)
$119.99
Like Someone in Love (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Sons of Anarchy: Season Six (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Dream Theater: Breaking the Fourth Wall (Blu-ray)
$16.99
Picnic at Hanging Rock (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down! (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Archer: The Complete Season Three (Blu-ray)
$12.96
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Blu-ray)
$19.96
All That Jazz (Blu-ray)
$24.70
Great Expectations (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Ace in the Hole (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Moms' Night Out (Blu-ray)
$16.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 03-05-2010, 04:09 AM   #41

Jan 2010
The Outer Limits

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Basterd View Post
Does anyone think that will work?
If it's defective, I would assume so! Most likely they will just let you exchange it, and hopefully you won't have the same problem with another copy. If you are reward zone member, they keep detailed records of your purchases, so there will be a record of your purchase so they can verify you purchased the copy from them. Good luck! Sorry to hear you are having troubles
Old 03-09-2010, 10:57 AM   #42
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2010
Grapes Are Fun!
Send a message via AIM to The_Basterd

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrock41 View Post
If it's defective, I would assume so! Most likely they will just let you exchange it, and hopefully you won't have the same problem with another copy. If you are reward zone member, they keep detailed records of your purchases, so there will be a record of your purchase so they can verify you purchased the copy from them. Good luck! Sorry to hear you are having troubles
Worked. Returned it, but wait.... SAME EPISODE SAME PROBLEM! There must have been a bunch of defects. I grabbed the last one at my Best buy so I guess I have to go to a different one to return it now. THIS SUCKS!
Old 03-09-2010, 02:26 PM   #43

Jan 2010
The Outer Limits

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Basterd View Post
Worked. Returned it, but wait.... SAME EPISODE SAME PROBLEM! There must have been a bunch of defects. I grabbed the last one at my Best buy so I guess I have to go to a different one to return it now. THIS SUCKS!
That sucks.

Maybe return that one to Best Buy, and order it from AMZ. They are way cheaper anyways. I got mine from Amazon and ended up not having any problems with the copy I received.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:14 PM   #44
Power Member

Oct 2008
Ohio

Yep..I did a return to Amazon 3 times..since then have decided to wait to purchase a new one
Someday we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny
Old 05-06-2010, 04:04 PM   #45
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2010
Grapes Are Fun!

I've returned it 3 times, and it is still defected?
Is there a replacement disc program for this?
Clementine: You're not a stalker, or anything, right?
Joel: I'm not a stalker. YOU'RE the one that talked to me, remember?
Clementine: That is the oldest trick in the stalker book.
Joel: Really? There's a stalker book? Great, I gotta read that one.

~ Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Old 05-06-2010, 06:22 PM   #46
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2010

Ok, what's this? I just ordered Season 1 a few days ago at Amazon. They haven't shipped it yet because they're purposely delaying my order since I picked free shipping. I'm thinking of cancelling my order now. I hope this is just a player issue and not a bad batch because I don't want to end up with this problem when I receive mine.
TV: Samsung UN32EH5000
Blu-ray Player: Sony BDP-S360
DVD Player & Recorder: Sony DVP-NS77H & Toshiba DR430
Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR509
Front: Polk Audio Monitor30 Series II
Center: Polk Audio CS1 Series II
Surrounds: Dayton Audio B652
Subwoofer: Boston Acoustics CSSUB10B
Old 05-07-2010, 12:52 AM   #47
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2010

Can anyone confirm this issue??????

I find this so odd. We get a number of people complaining they have the exact same problem, exchanged it a number of times, and still have the same problem. But then again.....if this was widespread, why isn't there a big riot going on here?? You'd think for such a great show, there would be a bigger uproar than this if Lionsgate made such a big screw up.

Is this a defective batch that's been recalled? Is this a firmware issue on Sony's older players that's now been addressed via an update? Or is it one of those problems that hasn't been addressed as of today? I would like to know if the copy I ordered from Amazon will have this issue.

Anyone???????

Old 05-07-2010, 01:31 AM   #48
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2010
Grapes Are Fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHT View Post
Can anyone confirm this issue??????

I find this so odd. We get a number of people complaining they have the exact same problem, exchanged it a number of times, and still have the same problem. But then again.....if this was widespread, why isn't there a big riot going on here?? You'd think for such a great show, there would be a bigger uproar than this if Lionsgate made such a big screw up.

Is this a defective batch that's been recalled? Is this a firmware issue on Sony's older players that's now been addressed via an update? Or is it one of those problems that hasn't been addressed as of today? I would like to know if the copy I ordered from Amazon will have this issue.

Anyone???????

Well my Best Buy probably got a shipment of defective ones.
I am going to try to return it next time when they get new ones in.

Old 05-07-2010, 02:30 AM   #49
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2010

So strange that a batch of defective discs would have the EXACT same problem on the EXACT same spot. And buzzing???? You'd think since blu-ray is digital, you either get a sound or you don't.

I guess since no one else here at blu-ray.com has Season 1 and can answer my question, I'll have to find out for myself when Amazon ships my BD next week. Sigh! Didn't realize that very few people own this show since there is no one else that was able to answer... Hmmm.....
Old 05-07-2010, 02:37 AM   #50
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2010
Grapes Are Fun!

Quote:
So strange that a batch of defective discs would have the EXACT same problem on the EXACT same spot. And buzzing???? You'd think since blu-ray is digital, you either get a sound or you don't.

I guess since no one else here at blu-ray.com has Season 1 and can answer my question, I'll have to find out for myself when Amazon ships my BD next week. Sigh! Didn't realize that very few people own this show since there is no one else that was able to answer... Hmmm.....
Funny thing is there is another thread who buys season 1 every day, and posts about it. Check the blind buy thread.
Now, why don't they just post in this thread?

Old 05-07-2010, 02:47 AM   #51
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2010

The_Basterd....

What player are you using?
Old 05-07-2010, 03:13 AM   #52

Apr 2010
-

I bought this around a month ago and watched it cover to cover, with no issues. I use a ps3 slim. I got mine from Amazon.

For what it is worth.
Old 05-07-2010, 03:48 AM   #53
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2008

Quote:

I think you aren't getting much of a response because this release is so old and everyone interested in the issue has kind of moved on. But I'll answer the best I can.

A bad batch of discs having the same trouble in the same spot actually does make sense. When you have a whole batch bad, it's not like someone went and scratched every single one individually. The easiest thing to link back to is there was something wrong with the replication of the batch, and all discs replicated would have the same flaw (whatever it happens to be). A number of Universal discs have popped up like this. For titles like Serenity, Death Race, Chronicles of Riddick, Inglorious Basterds, and a few others, multiple people reported freezes at the EXACT same spot. This would happen in any player they tried it in. They were, however, able to exchange the disc and get a copy that played perfectly. In those cases, it truly was a bad batch of discs, and getting a functional disc allowed them to play it fine in any player.

However, this Mad Men issue confuses me. You're right when you say that having buzzing audio does not make sense. With digital errors, you don't get slightly off audio, you get NO audio (or skipping audio, as the laser tries and repeatedly fails to read the data). Taking it a step further, DVD and BD data files are packaged in such a way that the audio and video are read simultaneously in one stream - so if a portion of the disc were unreadable, BOTH AUDIO AND VIDEO should freeze, or skip. Having the video continue to play, but with buzzing audio, is not indicative of any disc errors I can imagine. That sounds like a software error, which points towards player or firmware incompatibilities.

This Mad Men issue is further confusing in that it seems to have gone unresolved for so long. No one who reported the issue ever came back and said they got a working copy, or figured out what was wrong with their player - just 'defective' copies over and over again, one after the other. And no common ties between owners of 'defective' copies have ever been established. I'm not sure how many people this has actually affected though - this thread normally seems to be occupied by one person repeatedly reporting problems, and others not being able to reproduce it. I put 'defective' in quotations only because I'm just plain not sure whether it's really defective or not, given the circumstances.

For what it's worth, I have Mad Men season 1 on Blu-ray disc - have for a couple years now, from before season 2 was out. I played all 3 discs, including all special features, on my PS3 and did not have a single problem. No freezing, no buzzing, etc. I'm not sure what that anecdote is worth, but that and a general assessment of the issue is all I can really offer you. I feel you should be optimistic, given the large number of people who seem to have enjoyed this set, and the relatively few who have had problems. Statistically, I think it looks good for you.
Old 05-07-2010, 04:03 AM   #54
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2008

As a follow-up - MrHT, I saw your post in AVS where you linked to an Amazon review complaining about this same issue. In the comments, a couple people say that this buzzing and audio dropout occur on their Sony S350s, but not other players. This seems in line with my initial theory that it's firmware / player compatibility related.
Old 05-07-2010, 05:31 AM   #55

Aug 2009

STRANGE! The ONLY time I've had playback problems were on seasons 1 AND 2 of Mad Men.. I have a Sony BDPS550 and, I don't remember specifics, had both seasons freeze in the middle of an episode. They are the only discs I've ever had a problem with. However, I split season 3 between my 550 and Sony BDPS1 and never had an issue..
Old 05-07-2010, 12:03 PM   #56

Jan 2010
Notts, UK

I watched Season 1 the other day (Blind Buy - fantastic series). Got a US Panny BD 60.

Couple of times (can't remember what episodes or discs) the picture froze for about 2 seconds.
Old 05-07-2010, 12:43 PM   #57

Oct 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo_reloaded View Post
As a follow-up - MrHT, I saw your post in AVS where you linked to an Amazon review complaining about this same issue. In the comments, a couple people say that this buzzing and audio dropout occur on their Sony S350s, but not other players. This seems in line with my initial theory that it's firmware / player compatibility related.
I have an S350 and I have no problems with these discs. I bought them over a year ago though on a huge Amazon sale, so maybe mine are from a different batch. But my player handles them just fine!
Old 05-07-2010, 12:56 PM   #58
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo_reloaded View Post
I saw no complaints with the Sony S360, which is the player I have. If this problem is occuring on the 350, it may happen also on the 360 since they're practically the same player. I know the 360 is newer and is Profile 2.0, but I can only assume that Sony manufactured them in a very similar manner. So, any issues the 350 has may possibly carry forward to the 360 line.

Who knows. It's a shame. I was looking forward to getting my Season 1 set, but thanks to this problem, I'm now worried as heck rather than excited.

Last edited by MrHT; 05-07-2010 at 02:16 PM.
Old 05-07-2010, 12:56 PM   #59
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avond View Post
I have an S350 and I have no problems with these discs. I bought them over a year ago though on a huge Amazon sale, so maybe mine are from a different batch. But my player handles them just fine!
Hmm! Very interesting.

Ok...to those with problems.....are your firmwares up-to-date??
Old 05-07-2010, 01:08 PM   #60
Power Member

Dec 2008
Rhode Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avond View Post
Yup same...S350 with no problems

LR TV: Samsung UN46B6000 BR TV: Samsung UN32EH5300
LR BD: Sony BDP-S350 BR BD: Sony PS3 120GB
DVR: TiVo TCD652160 HD DVR
HT Audio/Video: Onkyo TX-SR606
Fronts: Polk TSi400s Center: Polk RM8C Surrounds: ADS L570s Sub: MartinLogan 10-Inch Dynamo
BR HT/Mac/CD Audio: Peachtree Audio Nova BR Fronts: Polk R150s
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America