Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$49.99

X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$9.96

Let's Be Cops (Blu-ray)
$9.96

The Complete Jacques Tati (Blu-ray)
$59.99

Sleeping Beauty (Blu-ray)
$18.99

Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$44.99

The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Batman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$149.99

True Detective (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Homeland: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Vikings: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

22 Jump Street (Blu-ray)
$14.99

True Blood: The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray)
$17.99

COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 05-07-2010, 02:12 PM   #61
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2010

Ok, thanks guys. Seems like this was probably a firmware issue that was probably addressed via an update. Or maybe a bad batch that was recalled. I'm thinking it's probably a firmware problem and those with issues haven't updated it on their players.

I'm glad not everyone is having issues. I'll most likely be fine since I'm using the 360 (which I hope addresses all the problems the 350 had) and am most likely getting a newer batch.
TV: Samsung UN32EH5000
Blu-ray Player: Sony BDP-S360
DVD Player & Recorder: Sony DVP-NS77H & Toshiba DR430
Receiver: Onkyo TX-NR509
Front: Polk Audio Monitor30 Series II
Center: Polk Audio CS1 Series II
Surrounds: Dayton Audio B652
Subwoofer: Boston Acoustics CSSUB10B
Old 05-11-2010, 11:14 PM   #62
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2010

OK.....I got my Mad Men Season 1 BD today. First thing I did was pop in Disc 3 and checked Episode 10 (Long Weekend) and checked the problematic spot (46:16). No problems on my Sony BDP-S360. I checked at 46:00 and let it play up until 47:00 and no audio issues. I then replayed the chapter, fast forwarded to 45:00 and let it play until the end. Still no problems.

Maybe I have to watch the episode in its entirety?? I doubt that's the case. If a certain spot has an issue, it should occur like that any time the player reads it, regardless of where you begin watching.

And also, I got a newer batch, which is packaged in the new slimmer case (like Season 3). Lionsgate seems to have done away with the thicker three-disc case.

Last edited by MrHT; 05-12-2010 at 12:02 AM.
Old 11-28-2010, 04:39 AM   #63
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2008
Pacific Northwest

Well I was just watching episode 3 of Mad Men Season 1 and it froze up solid at 10 minutes and some change. Pulled out the disc, put a lens cleaning disc in and tried again. It froze up consistently around the same spot every time.

I popped on Blu-Ray.com and did a search and found this thread, I have not read it yet but am gonna read it now.
bentvalve's Blu-rays: 758 (collection order; Music>Musicals>Documentaries>TV shows>Criterions>Movies)
Old 11-28-2010, 05:52 AM   #64
Power Member

Sep 2009
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHT View Post
OK.....I got my Mad Men Season 1 BD today. First thing I did was pop in Disc 3 and checked Episode 10 (Long Weekend) and checked the problematic spot (46:16). No problems on my Sony BDP-S360. I checked at 46:00 and let it play up until 47:00 and no audio issues. I then replayed the chapter, fast forwarded to 45:00 and let it play until the end. Still no problems.

Maybe I have to watch the episode in its entirety?? I doubt that's the case. If a certain spot has an issue, it should occur like that any time the player reads it, regardless of where you begin watching.

And also, I got a newer batch, which is packaged in the new slimmer case (like Season 3). Lionsgate seems to have done away with the thicker three-disc case.
The season one set I received in the mail today was packaged in the thicker blu ray casing. I haven't had a chance to play the disc yet, but I'm guessing that indicates I received an older version. For those that took advantage of the recent sale at Amazon, I'm curious which version of season one did you receive?
Old 11-28-2010, 06:14 AM   #65
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebhdb View Post
The season one set I received in the mail today was packaged in the thicker blu ray casing. I haven't had a chance to play the disc yet, but I'm guessing that indicates I received an older version. For those that took advantage of the recent sale at Amazon, I'm curious which version of season one did you receive?
Ya know, I have not seen this slimmer set in stores. And since you just said you got the thicker case, then I guess I'm the only person that has this kind of packaging. Weird!
Old 11-28-2010, 07:46 AM   #66
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2009
Birmingham, Alabama. :(
Thumbs down I hope not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebhdb View Post
I'll post as soon as I get mine. Hopefully by Monday or Tuesday. If I get the fat case I probably will try to get a replacement.
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...faces?siteId=3

"Someone who loves to start a fire and listen to the screams."

"If the pizza man truly loves this babysitter, why does he keep slapping her rear?"
Old 11-28-2010, 06:50 PM   #67
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2010

You guys are actually lucky if you get the fat case because they use the exact same cover art inserts for the slimmer case. And since those were printed on longer paper (since they were made for the fatter cases), they are a tad bit squished inside the plastic of the slim case.
Old 11-28-2010, 07:21 PM   #68
Power Member

Oct 2008
Ohio

I am the guy that caused the whole "Amazon to stop selling Mad Men due to a potential defect" way back when. I have not purchased it again up until the $9.99 sale this past weekend. I hope the defect is not happening this time around for I love the show and hate to have a potentially 'messed up' disc.
Someday we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny
Old 11-28-2010, 07:26 PM   #69
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2008
Arizona

I didn't get mine from amazon but I did get my this past Saturday at BestBuy while they had it on sale for 9.99 along with Seasons 2 and 3. I am currently on the last episode for season one and I haven't had any issues at all. Also, s1 is in the fat case while s2 and s3 are in the slim case.
FS/FT Thread
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=155367

Steelbook FS/FT Thread
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=166927

Prices are not set in stone, all you got to do is ask.. Cheers.
Old 12-29-2010, 02:10 AM   #70

Mar 2010
Seattle

I got season 1 a few weeks ago and played episode 10 at 46:16 and sure enough, my player locks up. Today I got a replacement copy from Amazon and the exact same error happened again at the same exact spot. I have a Sony BDP-S550 with the latest firmware. Has anyone who had this problem managed to get a disc that's fixed? This is the first problem disc I've ever had out of the 150+ discs I have.
Old 12-29-2010, 02:37 AM   #71
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2010
Grapes Are Fun!
Send a message via AIM to The_Basterd

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoNuts View Post
I got season 1 a few weeks ago and played episode 10 at 46:16 and sure enough, my player locks up. Today I got a replacement copy from Amazon and the exact same error happened again at the same exact spot. I have a Sony BDP-S550 with the latest firmware. Has anyone who had this problem managed to get a disc that's fixed? This is the first problem disc I've ever had out of the 150+ discs I have.
Mine still has that defect even after exchanging it 3 times.
Clementine: You're not a stalker, or anything, right?
Joel: I'm not a stalker. YOU'RE the one that talked to me, remember?
Clementine: That is the oldest trick in the stalker book.
Joel: Really? There's a stalker book? Great, I gotta read that one.

~ Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Old 12-29-2010, 03:12 AM   #72
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2010

That is weird. My Season 1 set plays perfectly fine on my Sony BDP-S360. Maybe I did the right thing by buying it at $27 back in May. Back then, maybe Amazon was selling the fixed copies. But during the Thanksgiving weekend, Amazon lowers the price to $10 and unloads the defective copies to all of you. Mwahahahaha!

Last edited by MrHT; 12-29-2010 at 03:28 AM.
Old 12-29-2010, 03:37 AM   #73

May 2009
Omaha, NE

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrock41 View Post
Mine looks similar, it looked like my cover has been over vacuum packed or something, it has many creases and and is 'squished' but the case itself is not cracked and looks to be in good shape. Maybe these packaging problems is the issue? Who knows? We'll see soon enough...
The issue with the cover is due to the cover insert being to long horizontally. If you trim off exactly 1 cm off the back cover, it will fit perfectly in the case. There must have been some kind of printing error when it was produced.
PSN Handle: chetripley80
Old 01-04-2011, 05:30 PM   #74

Mar 2010

I got Mad Men Season 1 in the recent Amazon 'Black Friday Week Deals' and got to the episode titled 'The Long Weekend' earlier today. The audio issue at 46:16 occurred on the Sony BDP-S350 player (Region B player). I tried it (the same disc obviously) on a Pioneer BDP-320 player (Region A player) and the audio problem does not appear. By listing each player's region coding I am not implying it has anything to do with the problem, but I thought I'd mention it regardless. So it is safe to assume there is nothing wrong with the disc itself but rather a player-related problem.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:32 AM   #75

Oct 2008

is the dialogue suppose to be so soft? i know its front channel driven but other dialogue movies aren't this soft. episode 6 seems quieter than previous episodes.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:43 AM   #76
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2009
Bartow, FL

Disc 2 doesn't want to play on my PS3! Just put in a replacement order thru Amazon!
TV: Sony KDL-52XBR9
Audio: Sony DAV-HDX576WF HTIB
Computer: Sony Vaio svE17127CXB
Gaming: Sony "Fat" PlayStation 3 500GB / Sony PlayStation 4 1TB / Sony PlayStation Vita
PSN ID: Toyamaha
Old 01-12-2011, 04:50 AM   #77
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2008
The Swan Station aDdIcTeD 2 LOST PSN:U5MC51473
Send a message via AIM to sfmarine Send a message via MSN to sfmarine Send a message via Skype™ to sfmarine

I also received Mad Men during the BF deal. Season 1 played flawlessly and I received the "fat" case.
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!" -- President Merkin Muffley/Dr. Strangelove

55" VIZIO 3D Razor LED M3D550KD
Onkyo TX-NR616 7.2/ Pioneer Center SP-C21
Panasonic DMP-BDT210 3D Blu-ray ~ LG BD 370~ PS3 ~ FAT
DIRECTV HR34 Genie
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America