Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Transformers: The Last Knight 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Beguiled (Blu-ray)
$6.49
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: 4 Film Favorites (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Planet of the Apes Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Alien: 6 Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$27.99
Planet of the Apes Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$31.99
Bridget Jones's Baby (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Life of Pi 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Jingle All the Way (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Ex Machina (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Rick and Morty: Season One (Blu-ray)
$12.99
The Big Sick (Blu-ray)
$9.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Audio Theory and Discussion

Old 02-15-2010, 05:45 AM   #1

Nov 2009
Colorado
Default Left & Right Speaker Placement

I have a basic question. I am planning out where everything will go until my speakers come in and I was reading on the Dolby site that the left and right speakers are "usually three feet away on either side". I know I will need to play around with placement once I actually get the speakers but to start is that three feet from the edge of the display or three feet from the center of the display?
Old 02-15-2010, 06:12 AM   #2

Jul 2009
Seattle, Wa

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson1138 View Post
I have a basic question. I am planning out where everything will go until my speakers come in and I was reading on the Dolby site that the left and right speakers are "usually three feet away on either side". I know I will need to play around with placement once I actually get the speakers but to start is that three feet from the edge of the display or three feet from the center of the display?
Read this:
http://forum.blu-ray.com/speakers/13...ml#post2837525

Too lazy to write it up again, lol.

Edit: Only thing I don't think I mentioned in the post is ideally you want to speakers to be symmetrical in the room. Basically, start with the equilateral triangle with the speakers symmetrically placed in the room. Then move the speakers right and left from that position keeping them symmetrical, until you find the position that sounds best. After you find that position you can test to see if toe in improves the quality of the sound.

Last edited by kareface; 02-15-2010 at 06:19 AM.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:26 AM   #3
Blu-ray Prince

Oct 2007
Metropolis

More information than you probably wanted to know about speaker positioning.

http://www.audiophysic.de/aufstellung/index_e.html#top

http://www.cardas.com/content.php?ar...ing=Room+Setup

Soak in the wisdom slowly or you will go mad.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:28 AM   #4

Nov 2009
Colorado

That's perfect, thanks!! I did do a search for left & right speaker placement but it turned up empty.
Old 02-15-2010, 01:28 PM   #5

Jul 2007
At the crossroad of Analogue Dr & 2CH Ave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Kent View Post
More information than you probably wanted to know about speaker positioning.

http://www.audiophysic.de/aufstellung/index_e.html#top

http://www.cardas.com/content.php?ar...ing=Room+Setup

Soak in the wisdom slowly or you will go mad.
Thanks for those articles Clark!

John
John - I love the smell of vinyl in the morning!
My personal motto: "Live Life! Leave A Legacy!"
I reserve the right to post as a member. When I post as a Moderator I will select a color depending on my mood!
Dynavector - Genesis - Harman/Kardon - Marantz Reference - Mogami - Nitty Gritty -- Oracle Audio - Pioneer - Valab/King
Old 02-16-2010, 05:06 AM   #6

Nov 2009
Colorado

I've been reading up on all the info posted here and my room is no where near big enough to put the speakers in the recommended spots! It looks like the ideal is around 4' away from the back wall! That being said I've been looking at the HT galleries and most people don't have their fronts that far away from the back wall. Is this more of a practical decision or is the 4' rule one that can be tweaked?
Old 02-16-2010, 06:23 AM   #7

Sep 2007
Mansfield, TX

Put them where they sound best to you. Probably that will be when they are equally spaced. No one puts their speakers 4 feet from the walls... mine are against a slanted wall, (interesting house design, dont ask, it's alaska) the top is right against the wall, the bottom is about 2.5 feet away. They sound amazing. Distance between the front left and front right speakers is about 11 feet, I also sit about 10-11 feet from my TV, makes almost a perfect triangle.
Sony 55NX810 LED
Yamaha RX-V577
Polk RTi8:FL, FR, SL, SR. Center: CSi5. Sub: Upgrading!
Sony PS3 Slim 120GB Gamertag: feestr
Blu-rays: 300+
Old 02-16-2010, 07:14 AM   #8
Banned

Oct 2007
Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlf3911 View Post
Put them where they sound best to you. Probably that will be when they are equally spaced. No one puts their speakers 4 feet from the walls... mine are against a slanted wall, (interesting house design, dont ask, it's alaska) the top is right against the wall, the bottom is about 2.5 feet away. They sound amazing. Distance between the front left and front right speakers is about 11 feet, I also sit about 10-11 feet from my TV, makes almost a perfect triangle.
I'm not starting a fight, but you shouldn't say "No one". If your not doing it, dosen't mean no one else is doing it.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:23 AM   #9
Blu-ray Prince

Oct 2007
Metropolis

Quote:
It looks like the ideal is around 4' away from the back wall! That being said I've been looking at the HT galleries and most people don't have their fronts that far away from the back wall.
While a few speakers can get away with being closer to the wall, most just do not have their system properly positioned. The ideal would be a dedicated room, but obviously budget and spousal approval play a large role in these decisions.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:31 AM   #10

Jul 2007

The "ideal" speaker placement ONLY works in an "ideal" room, which is basically what Clark intimated in the previous post. Our rooms don't come anywhere near those parameters, so we have to play with speaker placement. And what works for one, may not work for another even if the conditions are identical.

Our components are different, are speakers are different, our room acoustics are different, and these necessitate everyone to play with speaker positioning. It's a trial and error process, but worth it in the end.

You can use the "ideals" as a guideline and start from there.

John
I reserve the right to post as a member. When I post as a Moderator I will select a color depending on my mood!
Dynavector - Genesis - Harman/Kardon - Marantz Reference - Mogami - Nitty Gritty -- Oracle Audio - Pioneer - Valab/King
Old 02-17-2010, 12:35 AM   #11

Nov 2009
Colorado

I will be using a Denon 1910, as I play with speaker position (when I finally get them! ) should I run Audyssey each time I move the speakers around? Or just initially then when I finally settle on where the best spots are?
Old 02-17-2010, 12:43 AM   #12

Jul 2007

Quote:
I will be using a Denon 1910, as I play with speaker position (when I finally get them! ) should I run Audyssey each time I move the speakers around? Or just initially then when I finally settle on where the best spots are?
You need to run it every time.

John
Old 02-17-2010, 07:25 PM   #13
Blu-ray Prince

Oct 2007
Metropolis

Here is another link that briefly touches on proper positioning for stereo speakers:

http://www.rdrop.com/users/twest/audio/#Guidelines
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Audio Theory and Discussion