Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
My Big Fat Greek Wedding (Blu-ray)
$6.98
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Slap Shot (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Americans: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Psycho-Pass: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$95.24
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
The Simpsons: The Sixteenth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
8-Film Action Collection (Blu-ray)
$7.99
The Spectacular Spider-Man: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Grave of the Fireflies (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Hannibal: Season One (Blu-ray)
$19.99
WCW's Greatest Pay-Per-View Matches, Volume 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.74

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Canada

Old 02-16-2010, 09:13 PM   #1
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2009
Canada
Canada Lord Of The Rings Theatrical vs. Extended!

Why is everyone in a tiff over new line releasing the theatrical versions of these movies over the extended. I mean I understand "MORE" movie but really isnt 3 hrs each movie enough!!!!..LOL.....
Old 02-16-2010, 09:25 PM   #2
Special Member

Oct 2007

It's called double dipping aka maximizing profits.

The problem is that really LOTR films should have been released as seamless branching options on single discs. It's not like the extended editions are never coming, but I don't like the posturing by the studio that the extended cuts are not coming to Blu until the Hobbit reaches the theater. Basically they are trying to scare the fans that really have to have it NOW.

I really want the extended trilogy, but I have already spent enough on LOTR that I can wait. If Warner/NL wants my cash they will put out a BD extended trilogy.
4k... really? The law of diminishing returns is fully in sight.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:59 PM   #3
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2009
Canada

But speaking as someone who has only seen the theater versions...am I missing a big chunk of the story by NOT seeing the extended or am I okay with having seen the theater version only.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:58 PM   #4

Dec 2009

You are missing enormous chunks of story...timewise, a whole movie's worth over the span of the trilogy. I refuse to watch the theatrical versions.
Old 02-17-2010, 02:04 PM   #5
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2007
Great White North

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeneff View Post
You are missing enormous chunks of story...timewise, a whole movie's worth over the span of the trilogy. I refuse to watch the theatrical versions.
Agreed. The Theatrical Editions are trimmed down versions of the directors intent, which are the extended cuts. They did this to allow theaters to maximize profits at the box office. If the films were 4 hrs long it would have eliminated quite a few showings and reduced the box office revenue for theaters and the studio.

If you have watched the extended cuts you would understand why they are superior in every way. Almost every cut sequence is significant to the story and more closely reflects that of the books they were based on.

As far as I am concerned, there is only one way to watch Lord of the Rings and that is the Extended cuts. Period.
TIL ALL ARE ONE THEATER
Projector: PIONEER FPJ1 (JVC RS2 Clone) 1080P LCOS
Screen: 106" EluneVision 16:9 (White) - 1.2 Gain
Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR705
Blu-ray: Sony Playstation 3 - 60GB
Power Protection: APC Smart-UPS 1500
Universal Remote: URC RFS200 PowerPak Bundle w/ MasterControl RF20 and PowerBlaster
SVS 7.2 SURROUND SOUND: Fronts & Surrounds: SVS SBS-01 / Center: SVS SCS-01 / Subs: SVS PB10-NSD
Old 02-17-2010, 02:50 PM   #6

Jun 2009
Minas Morgul

Extended versions (More awesome scenes = Win)

Old 02-23-2010, 02:56 AM   #7

Feb 2008
Kitchener,Ontario

Extended is the only way to see it!
Old 02-23-2010, 10:22 PM   #8
Power Member

Jan 2009
Canada

What is this "theatrical edition" you speak of?
Old 02-24-2010, 02:50 PM   #9

Nov 2009
Ottawa, Canada

I only own the theatricals myself. I couldn't imagine myself watching 4 hour movies, especially re-watching them.

Is there that much of a difference?
Old 02-24-2010, 10:28 PM   #10
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2009
Calgary, Canada

Of course there is that much of a difference. Not like some extended cut that adds 5 minutes you don't even realize. There is a lot added and anybody that has read the books with the theatrical versions could easily pick out a lot missing so the extended versions get a lot of that content in it. Even then there is stuff missing though. Can only imagine how long they would have been if they managed to squeeze in every last detail from the book

That being said just like I did with the DVD's I am more than happy double dipping and getting to enjoy some version of these as soon as I can instead of holding out.
★ XBL: xHAYA8U5Ax | PSN: Hayabusa85 | Wii U: Hayabusa85 ★
Old 03-04-2010, 04:16 PM   #11

Mar 2009
Iowa

Just wanted to say thanks to all for the information in this thread. Keep the guns at bay, but I haven't seen any of the LOTR movies . I also had no clue why there was so much commotion regarding the theatrical vs extended cuts. Now I know. Thanks again everyone!
Old 03-04-2010, 07:22 PM   #12
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2007
Great White North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinoff360 View Post
That being said just like I did with the DVD's I am more than happy double dipping and getting to enjoy some version of these as soon as I can instead of holding out.
Really though there isn't much point. Are you going to watch the Theatrical after you own the Extended? Its kinda of a waste of money. Plus, the Extended on DVD are probably the highest picture quality DVD's that exist. So, I don't think its honestly worth it. Double dipping on it just tells the studios to do it again in the future. Please don't give them reason to double dip.
TIL ALL ARE ONE THEATER
Projector: PIONEER FPJ1 (JVC RS2 Clone) 1080P LCOS
Screen: 106" EluneVision 16:9 (White) - 1.2 Gain
Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR705
Blu-ray: Sony Playstation 3 - 60GB
Power Protection: APC Smart-UPS 1500
Universal Remote: URC RFS200 PowerPak Bundle w/ MasterControl RF20 and PowerBlaster
SVS 7.2 SURROUND SOUND: Fronts & Surrounds: SVS SBS-01 / Center: SVS SCS-01 / Subs: SVS PB10-NSD
Old 03-05-2010, 12:50 AM   #13

Feb 2010

They should have release one set with seamless branching. I guess that was too much to ask.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:33 PM   #14

Nov 2009
Ottawa, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinoff360 View Post
Of course there is that much of a difference. Not like some extended cut that adds 5 minutes you don't even realize.
I understand that, but I still fail to see why I should care, as I've not read the books, and I never intend to. The films in their theatrical cuts seemed fine to me. I never felt like there was something missing. I already find the theatrical cuts to be very long. It'd be hard to sit through the overly long extended cuts. Especially the whole trilogy. 12 hours? lol no way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by butcher2008 View Post
Keep the guns at bay, but I haven't seen any of the LOTR movies
You should. The theatricals are usually less than 10$ on DVD here.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:26 PM   #15

Mar 2009
Iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daaark View Post
You should. The theatricals are usually less than 10$ on DVD here.
I'll probably have a friend Netflix them on DVD sometime in the near future. I've heard great things, just haven't gotten around to seeing them.
Old 03-14-2010, 05:46 PM   #16
Banned

Oct 2006
Kentwood, Michigan
Send a message via Yahoo to GGX

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdawq View Post
Why is everyone in a tiff over new line releasing the theatrical versions of these movies over the extended. I mean I understand "MORE" movie but really isnt 3 hrs each movie enough!!!!..LOL.....
The theatrical cuts are incomplete movies to me. Its that simple.

Imagine your favorite movie of all time. Now think of it being released for the first time on Blu-ray. But instead of the entire movie it has various scenes missing. Thats how I feel about the theatrical cuts of LotR.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:24 PM   #17
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2009
Sarf London, Engerland

Bah. Even the mighty EE's are pale imitations of the book. The theatrical editions will do me just fine for now.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:43 AM   #18
Expert Member

Feb 2010
Vancouver

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeneff View Post
I agree, ROTK is like an extra hour longer and adds so much more depth to the story, same with the first 2 films!
Fascinating... - Spock

There's ALWAYS money in the Banana Stand! - George Bluth

Son of a bit*h, I'm sick of these dolphins. - Steve Zissou
Old 03-17-2010, 12:07 PM   #19

Nov 2009
Ottawa, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimforsilence View Post
an extra hour longer
Don't shoot me, but I find the theatrical cuts to drone on too long already. I'll defer to Kevin Smith who refers to it as 9 hours of watching people walking.

Books and movies are different types of media. With a book, you read bits at a time and set it aside and it doesn't matter how long it is. And Fantasy literature is famous for taking a paper thin plot and padding it with pages of useless information.

If Die Hard were written in the style of fantasy epic, the main villian would have 50 pages of back story detailing the history of his blood line, to be expanded upon in a set of 6 prequel books.

Bruce Willis would have hundreds of pages of fluff about being someone special, and being destined to save everyone, and his back story would be told in a further prequel trilogy.

The building they fight in would have a long drawn out history. You'd know who built it, what conflict had to be resolved to settle the town that it was built, the long, drawn out, made up religions of the builders, etc...

You'd end up with Die Hard + 5 hours of fluff.

LOTR is best suited for a mini-series. As a movie, it's 6 hours of some midgets on a hike, with 150 unimportant subplots playing out around them.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:00 PM   #20
Power Member

May 2008
T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daaark View Post
Don't shoot me, but I find the theatrical cuts to drone on too long already. I'll defer to Kevin Smith who refers to it as 9 hours of watching people walking.

Books and movies are different types of media. With a book, you read bits at a time and set it aside and it doesn't matter how long it is. And Fantasy literature is famous for taking a paper thin plot and padding it with pages of useless information.

If Die Hard were written in the style of fantasy epic, the main villian would have 50 pages of back story detailing the history of his blood line, to be expanded upon in a set of 6 prequel books.

Bruce Willis would have hundreds of pages of fluff about being someone special, and being destined to save everyone, and his back story would be told in a further prequel trilogy.

The building they fight in would have a long drawn out history. You'd know who built it, what conflict had to be resolved to settle the town that it was built, the long, drawn out, made up religions of the builders, etc...

You'd end up with Die Hard + 5 hours of fluff.

LOTR is best suited for a mini-series. As a movie, it's 6 hours of some midgets on a hike, with 150 unimportant subplots playing out around them.
LOL... so I am just wondering... why do you even own these movies??
Pioneer Kuro Elite Signature Pro-101FD
Pioneer VSX-1018AH - PlayStation 3
Bell HD Satellite Receiver + 1 TB HD = HD-PVR
Energy C-500 Fronts
Energy C-C100 Center - Energy C-100 Surrounds
Klipsch Sub-12 Subwoofer
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Canada