COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down! (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Y Tu Mamá También (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Jumanji (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Wrong Turn Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$17.31
The Amazing Spider-Man 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
The East (Blu-ray)
$6.99
Insomnia (Blu-ray)
$22.98
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Blu-ray)
$18.96
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$24.99
It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Blu-ray)
$74.99
Once Upon a Time: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Friends: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$110.00
Chuck: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$66.99
Homeland: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$31.99
Deadwood: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$59.96
Twin Peaks: The Entire Mystery (Blu-ray)
$91.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Old 02-25-2010, 04:09 AM   #1
Banned

Mar 2009
NY
Default Movies that took place in the future: Why is it that RUNNING MAN is cheesy today?

I was just watching RUNNING MAN. This used to be one of my favorite films. But seeing it today made me think of it as more of a "joke" film than the serious "cool movie" that it used to be.

Now that could be because I was younger when this came out, but I doubt it because I clearly remember adults thinking RUNNING MAN was a cool film too.

Is RUNNING MAN cheesy today because it was an 80's movie that was supposed to take place in the future, but the future, which is today doesnt look like that?

The 80's version of the future had bad computers, horrible monitors and graphics on said monitors, no internet, cassette tapes, big huge numbers for passwords...etc So is that why it's bad? Because we surpassed that vision of the future?

Then why is ESCAPE FROM NY still cool? That was an 80's movie that took place in 1999 and the president of the USA recorded that all important message on... A CASSETTE TAPE

Maybe it was because of the music. I mean, listen to the ending credits song in RUNNING MAN. It sounds like a giddy, happy, quiffy upbeat song you'd hear during a Rocky montage.

Why doesnt RUNNING MAN hold up?
Old 02-25-2010, 04:13 AM   #2
Banned

Sep 2009
NJ
Send a message via AIM to Idioteque... Send a message via MSN to Idioteque...

Who gives a crap? It's a post apocalyptic movie and sorry for the bad effects. They should have known better and waited till 2010 so they could have the right technology to work on the film.

The film is fine. Good story, great humor and an awesome lead and some fun action and some of the themes are still true today. That movie is way ahead of its time. Just because it doesn't look like that doesn't mean it's values aren't the same.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:16 AM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2008

We're 5 years away from Back to the Furture 2......I don't see flaying cars or hoverboards happening anytime soon.

We could possibly see Jaws 19 but that means we would have to see a new Jaws movie every 3 months (roughly).
....and so says the Meeklo
Old 02-25-2010, 04:19 AM   #4
Banned

Mar 2009
NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idioteque... View Post
Who gives a crap? It's a post apocalyptic movie and sorry for the bad effects. They should have known better and waited till 2010 so they could have the right technology to work on the film.

The film is fine. Good story, great humor and an awesome lead and some fun action and some of the themes are still true today. That movie is way ahead of its time. Just because it doesn't look like that doesn't mean it's values aren't the same.

A) calm down. B) Read again. C) You missed something. D) Your sarcasm is ridiculous.

"should have waited till 2010"

I just got finished saying other "future movies" don’t have that "cheap" feel to them. Never did I say ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK or BACK TO THE FUTURE are cheesy.

But there is undeniably something cheesy about RUNNING MAN and all I wanted to do was discuss why. If you don’t want to discuss it, or if you're going to have an attitude, do me a favor and stay out of this thread. You’re embarrassing yourself
Old 02-25-2010, 04:22 AM   #5
Banned

Mar 2009
NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeklo View Post
We're 5 years away from Back to the Furture 2......I don't see flaying cars or hoverboards happening anytime soon.

We could possibly see Jaws 19 but that means we would have to see a new Jaws movie every 3 months (roughly).
Maybe that's it.

In BACK TO THE FUTURE, we (in real life) wont be up to what "the movie" proposed.

But in RUNNING MAN, we (in real life) are beyond bulky monitors, huge numeral pass-codes, giddy music...etc Maybe their version of the future has perhaps has TOO MUCH of an 80's feel to it?
Old 02-25-2010, 04:24 AM   #6
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2007

I look back at Running Man as being eerily accurate actually.

I mean take a look at the reality shows that we have now, and think about what people are putting themselves through for a couple extra bucks.

The Chair?

The Chamber?

Survivor?

I'm halfway expecting an announcement of the next round of reality shows to include either the Running Man or Christians vs Lions.

Logan
Old 02-25-2010, 04:27 AM   #7
Banned

Mar 2009
NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadedeath View Post
I look back at Running Man as being eerily accurate actually.

I mean take a look at the reality shows that we have now, and think about what people are putting themselves through for a couple extra bucks.

The Chair?

The Chamber?

Survivor?

I'm halfway expecting an announcement of the next round of reality shows to include either the Running Man or Christians vs Lions.

Logan

No doubt the SUBJECT MATTER is 100% accurate. And that's why I'm perplexed. It is dead-on about the game show/reality show.

That's why I watched it with the same excitement going into it today.

But it doesnt HOLD UP the way ESPACE FROM NY or BACK TO THE FUTURE does... even with it's accurate portrayal of reality shows.

The movie was ahead of its time - IN CONCEPT ONLY

If it was ahead of its time in everything else, it would hold up like Star Wars or Blade Runner

Last edited by Frozenpinky; 02-25-2010 at 04:40 AM.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:43 AM   #8
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2009
Seven seas

I used to think Transformers The Movie was the greatest film of all time. I now only agree that the first 30 minutes is the greatest ever. But seriously half the crap that we saw as kids is distorted by our adolescence.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:49 AM   #9
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2008
Send a message via AIM to Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idioteque... View Post

Exactly. The complaint is honestly silly.

The OP is clearly thinking way too much, and can't just enjoy the movie for what it is.

It's people like this who are at fault for all the remakes being made.
Bat-Mite: "Batman's rich history allows him to be interpreted in a multitude of ways. To be sure, this is a lighter incarnation, but is certainly no less valid and true to the character's roots then the tortured avenger, crying out for mommy and daddy."

Batman: The Brave & The Bold - Legend of the Dark Mite.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:50 AM   #10
Banned

Mar 2009
NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
I used to think Transformers The Movie was the greatest film of all time. I now only agree that the first 30 minutes is the greatest ever. But seriously half the crap that we saw as kids is distorted by our adolescence.
True.

It could be that it’s obviously a mid-tear “Arnold” movie. It’s nowhere near the classic-ness of Terminator or The Predator (By the way, Terminator is ANOTHER 80’s movie with future undertones that isn’t cheesy)

So, if it the cheesiness has nothing to do with the fact that it looks like their scientific advances are from the 80’s even though it takes place in 2019, then what makes it more of a guilty pleasure than a great movie classic?

I think it may be the music, or the score… if not, perhaps the outfits?

That said, I wonder if when 2035 comes around, will I, ROBOT, MINORITY REPORT and other of today’s FUTURE MOVIES hold up?
Old 02-25-2010, 04:52 AM   #11
Banned

Mar 2009
NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beast View Post
Exactly. The complaint is honestly silly.

The OP is clearly thinking way too much, and can't just enjoy the movie for what it is.

It's people like this who are at fault for all the remakes being made.
But you're the one acting "threatened" and taking it too seriously, like I insulted your Bluray collection. hahaaa. Awwww, I feel bad for ya
Old 02-25-2010, 04:53 AM   #12
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2008

Terminator is incredibly cheesy! That's half of it's charm.
Bat-Mite: "Batman's rich history allows him to be interpreted in a multitude of ways. To be sure, this is a lighter incarnation, but is certainly no less valid and true to the character's roots then the tortured avenger, crying out for mommy and daddy."

Old 02-25-2010, 04:53 AM   #13
Banned

Sep 2009
NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenpinky View Post
A) calm down. B) Read again. C) You missed something. D) Your sarcasm is ridiculous.

"should have waited till 2010"

I just got finished saying other "future movies" don’t have that "cheap" feel to them. Never did I say ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK or BACK TO THE FUTURE are cheesy.

But there is undeniably something cheesy about RUNNING MAN and all I wanted to do was discuss why. If you don’t want to discuss it, or if you're going to have an attitude, do me a favor and stay out of this thread. You’re embarrassing yourself

Your complaint is still ridiculous. There's a lot of 80s post apocalyptic movies that have the cheesy 80's feel to them. Even the beloved BTTF and EFNY.

And it's an Arnold movie. I mean really now.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:54 AM   #14
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2008

Quote:
But you're the one acting "threatened" and taking it too seriously, like I insulted your Bluray collection. hahaaa. Awwww, I feel bad for ya
Where are you seeing threatened?

I'm just chuckling at how you can't seem to enjoy a movie in the context of the era it was made.

Old 02-25-2010, 04:57 AM   #15
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2009
Seven seas

I think alot of 80's movies have a simple nature. Escape From New York, Running Man, Terminator, Highlander, Dune. These movies are all charming in one way or another and have been endeared to our hearts and minds since we have seen them for so long.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:59 AM   #16
Special Member

Feb 2009
Douglassville, PA

The Running Man, IMO, still holds up as a great movie. Look at the last couple of years, Death Race, Gamer, etc are clones of TRM. If they knew what todays technology would have been in 1986, then blu-ray would have been released in 1987, and this forum would be dead.
Monitor:Samsung HL5687W DLP
Amps:Parasound HCA-855, HCA-1000A x2
Front:Klipsch RF-7's, RC-7
Surrounds:Klipsch RF-5's,Klipsch RS-52's
Subs:AV123 MFW-15, SVS 20-39PCI, HSU HRSW12
Pre/Pro:Marantz AV7005
Blu-ray:Oppo BDP-103, Sony PS3 250GB
(2) Monster Power HTS-5100's Xbox 360 60GB
Old 02-25-2010, 05:02 AM   #17
Banned

Mar 2009
NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beast View Post
Where are you seeing threatened?

I'm just chuckling at how you can't seem to enjoy a movie in the context of the era it was made.
But I can enjoy it, and did for it's GUILTY PLEASURE. All I was doing was questioning what makes it cheesy fun/not hold up the same as others that have longevity coolness appeal.

And I was getting ready to ask if anyone thought TODAYS future movies (Minority Report, I, Robot, The Island, Avatar..etc) will be guilty pleasures or cool movies in 2035

What I didnt expect was people cyber yelling, as if I raped their mothers.
Old 02-25-2010, 05:05 AM   #18
Banned

Mar 2009
NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyG View Post
The Running Man, IMO, still holds up as a great movie. Look at the last couple of years, Death Race, Gamer, etc are clones of TRM. If they knew what todays technology would have been in 1986, then blu-ray would have been released in 1987, and this forum would be dead.
Yes, the CONTENT/SUBJECT MATTER is dead on accurate. But the MOVIE doesnt feel like Death Race, Gamer, Battle Royale...etc

So with that siad, will GAMER, Death Race...etc feel "charming" in 20 years?

I dont think so. And the reson I think that is, because watching RUNNING MAN now, the MUSIC is what dates it. Remember, NOT the content.
Old 02-25-2010, 05:06 AM   #19
Banned

Sep 2009
NJ

Quote:
Yes, the CONTENT/SUBJECT MATTER is dead on accurate. But the MOVIE doesnt feel like Death Race, Gamer, Battle Royale...etc

I dont think so. And the reson I think that is, because watching RUNNING MAN now, the MUSIC is what dates it. Remember, NOT the content.
That's some cool 80's music. Not cheesy music like Rain Man.
Old 02-25-2010, 05:07 AM   #20
Special Member

Feb 2009
Douglassville, PA

Quote:

Yeah, montage music is terrible, but the movie is still great. Think about the volleyball scene in Top Gun, really cheesy!
Monitor:Samsung HL5687W DLP
Amps:Parasound HCA-855, HCA-1000A x2
Front:Klipsch RF-7's, RC-7
Surrounds:Klipsch RF-5's,Klipsch RS-52's
Subs:AV123 MFW-15, SVS 20-39PCI, HSU HRSW12
Pre/Pro:Marantz AV7005
Blu-ray:Oppo BDP-103, Sony PS3 250GB
(2) Monster Power HTS-5100's Xbox 360 60GB
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies