Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Nekromantik (Blu-ray)
$20.19
Sons of Anarchy: Seasons 1-6 (Blu-ray)
$172.59
Pumpkinhead (Blu-ray)
$18.99
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Minority Report (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.98
Woodstock: 3 Days of Peace & Music (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$15.94
Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (Blu-ray)
$10.39
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.99
The Simpsons: The Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.96
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.98
Dragon Ball Z: Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$17.99
The Tim Burton Collection (Blu-ray)
$26.49
Oblivion (Blu-ray)
$9.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED
Old 03-08-2010, 12:25 PM   #1

Nov 2007
Default Hachi :A Dog's Story ?

Anyone else pick up this film that came out from Sony? Guess it won't get the masses swamping shops to purchase it but if you like these kind of heartwarming movies, its a good one (just remember to have a few truck loads of hankies on standby! )
Had a quick look at the transfer and was really disappointed . Of the bits i checked most of it seemed soft and the black levels in some shots were terrible.
Can't believe that a downloaded copy i saw actually looked better than the Blu!
Anyone else care to comment?
Old 03-08-2010, 01:05 PM   #2
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2008
West Hollywood, CA.

I got it over the weekend. Watched it Saturday and loved it. I actually thought it looked fine.
Old 03-08-2010, 04:05 PM   #3

Nov 2008
Akron, Ohio

Actually saw a news piece on Animal Planet on the real Hachi and how he is revered in Japan (they even have a statue to him, sort of like Balto) which was very interesting and I have heard nothing but good things about this film. Many have said it's a 3 hanky movie. Looking forward to buying it but not sure if I want to buy the blu or just the dvd.
EQUIPMENT:Panasonic TH-65PZ850U plasma
OPPO BDP-103 blu-ray player-OPPO DV-983H dvd player-Pioneer CLD-99 laser disc player-Onkyo PR-SC5507P-Preamplifier-200x3 Acurus amplifier-150x2 Acurus amplifier-Emotiva UPA-2 amplifier-2 Mythos 4 (l/r)-1 Mythos 8 (c)-2 Mythos BPX (sides)-2 NHT Super Zero (rears)-Hsu VTF-2 MK3 subwoofer-Sony SDP-EP9ES digital surround processor-Xbox 360 Elite-Roku 3 streaming player-DVDO Edge, Darbeevision Darblet
Old 03-08-2010, 04:34 PM   #4
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2008
Champlin, MN

Saw the movie last night. Really good movie and one of the best I saw this year or even last year.
Old 03-08-2010, 04:37 PM   #5
Suspended

Jul 2007
The Paradise of New England

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewsjr View Post
Actually saw a news piece on Animal Planet on the real Hachi and how he is revered in Japan (they even have a statue to him, sort of like Balto) which was very interesting and I have heard nothing but good things about this film. Many have said it's a 3 hanky movie. Looking forward to buying it but not sure if I want to buy the blu or just the dvd.
It's a remake of a popular Japanese movie where, yes, Hachi IS a local legend--
(The statue is one of the well-known landmarks in Tokyo, as anime fans will attest.)

And, like the "Shall We Dance" remake, pretty much demonstrates how pointless it is to do Western remakes of movies too rooted in Japanese culture, no matter how much Richard Gere wants to show off his Asia-philia.
Old 03-08-2010, 04:41 PM   #6
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2008
West Hollywood, CA.

I do not understand why Sony did not give this a theatrical release. It would have received good reviews and may have one decent business. They have released worse.
Old 03-08-2010, 07:26 PM   #7
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2010
Moosic, PA

I love dog movies like this so i will pick this up. I hope its as good of a blind buy as Marley & Me.
Don't touch that please, your primitive intellect wouldn't understand alloys and compositions and things with... molecular structures
Old 03-10-2010, 01:44 AM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2010
Moosic, PA

I just got done watching this and it was a fantastic film. Only see this if you are ok with crying because it was so incredibly sad.
Don't touch that please, your primitive intellect wouldn't understand alloys and compositions and things with... molecular structures
Old 03-10-2010, 03:07 AM   #9
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2008
Champlin, MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyOfDarknessAW View Post
I just got done watching this and it was a fantastic film. Only see this if you are ok with crying because it was so incredibly sad.
Yeah I think the part that got to me the most was when
[Show spoiler] the professors wife came back 10 years later and found Hachi still sitting there waiting for the professor to return.
Old 03-10-2010, 03:16 AM   #10
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2010
Moosic, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by detective392 View Post
[Show spoiler] the professors wife came back 10 years later and found Hachi still sitting there waiting for the professor to return.
Yeah that part really got me, but overall the last 30 minutes was sad.
Old 03-10-2010, 03:37 AM   #11
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2008
Champlin, MN

Quote:
Yeah I never cry during movies I may get sad but this movie actually brought tears. Wonderful movie that shouldn't be missed though.
Old 03-10-2010, 02:04 PM   #12
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2008
Urban Haute Bourgeoisie
Send a message via AIM to kndy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricJ View Post
It's a remake of a popular Japanese movie where, yes, Hachi IS a local legend--
(The statue is one of the well-known landmarks in Tokyo, as anime fans will attest.)

And, like the "Shall We Dance" remake, pretty much demonstrates how pointless it is to do Western remakes of movies too rooted in Japanese culture, no matter how much Richard Gere wants to show off his Asia-philia.
Actually this is one that is very well done tastefully, respecting the original Hachiko and owner (shown at the end of the film) and yes, even my first trip to Shibuya, it was a priority for me to take a picture with the bronze statue.

I enjoyed the film a lot!!!

Feel Free to Add Me: XB360/PSN: kndynt2099/Wii: 8397 9641 9718 7362 / 3DS CODE: 4141-2473-3225
Old 03-11-2010, 08:31 PM   #13
Special Member

Sep 2008
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by detective392 View Post
That was def the worse part!!!
I loved this movie!

I made another post about it without searching first so my apologies. There's a review over at blurayhighdef too.

But I got myself a copy and bought another for my niece. It was only $20 at wal-mart.
PSN:m0rfin00
...playing UNCHARTED 2 MULTIPLAYER (Hit Me Up!)
Uncharted 2 Stats
Old 03-12-2010, 02:13 AM   #14
Special Member

Sep 2008

Quote:
Yes I think the last 30 minutes in general were very heartbreaking BUT did not overshadow the rest of the film. We had great moments of the relationship that was build between the professor & Hachi and the growing up antics. How about the whole town falling in love with Hachi?

And although the ending in general leans towards sadness, the true meaning of this is quite beautiful in my opinion. That loyalty & relationship.
Uncharted 2 Stats
Old 03-12-2010, 02:17 AM   #15
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2010
Moosic, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0nythebeat View Post
Yes I think the last 30 minutes in general were very heartbreaking BUT did not overshadow the rest of the film. We had great moments of the relationship that was build between the professor & Hachi and the growing up antics. How about the whole town falling in love with Hachi?

And although the ending in general leans towards sadness, the true meaning of this is quite beautiful in my opinion. That loyalty & relationship.
I agree
[Show spoiler]but it shifted from heartwarming to heartbreaking once the professor died.
I loved ever minute of the movie and think its a great addition to any collection. Who says men cant cry.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:44 PM   #16

Mar 2008
hockeytown.

it was a great movie. i cried
[Show spoiler]from the time the professor died
all the way until the end. my husband was making fun of me because "it's just a movie", but i found it really touching that a dog could be that loyal. as soon as i was done viewing it i yelled at my dog "you wouldn't wait for me!" lol

before i watched Hachi i watched Marley & Me, so, yeah, i had a rough night. lol
Old 03-12-2010, 11:17 PM   #17
Special Member

Sep 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by liddybuck01 View Post

before i watched Hachi i watched Marley & Me, so, yeah, i had a rough night. lol

Now THAT is rough, haha!
Uncharted 2 Stats
Old 03-14-2010, 08:23 PM   #18
Special Member

Sep 2008

Quote:
I agree
[Show spoiler]but it shifted from heartwarming to heartbreaking once the professor died.
I loved ever minute of the movie and think its a great addition to any collection. Who says men cant cry.
Yeah I've seen this movie quite a few times over the past couple of days. I wanted my whole family to see it lol.

BTW in case anybody missed it, it's $20 at Wal-Mart.
Uncharted 2 Stats
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America