Best PS3 Game Deals

Best PS3 Game Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Dynasty Warriors 7: Xtreme Legends (PS3)
$10.58
Akiba's Trip: Undead & Undressed (PS3)
$13.43
Final Fantasy IX (PS3)
$13.99
Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII (PS3)
$7.99
Monster High New Ghoul In School (PS3)
$32.69
Rio (PS3)
$18.08
Arcana Heart 3 Love Max!!!!! (PS3)
$16.08
Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN- (PS3)
$46.58
Mortal Kombat (PS3)
$17.49
Far Cry 3 (PS3)
$17.54
Aegis Of Earth: Protonovus Assault (PS3)
$18.98
ICO and Shadow of the Colossus Collection, The (PS3)
$19.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS3


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2010, 11:28 PM   #21
Musashi Musashi is online now
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Musashi's Avatar
 
Jan 2007
Manchester, CT
5
281
1
Send a message via AIM to Musashi
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Hetfield View Post
We need a game with Metallica.......oh wait.
I hope Harmonix plans on contacting Metallica and Aerosmith once their Activision contracts are up.

In any event, Rock Band 3 should be cool. I'd like to see an engine that can do multiple vocal tracks like the one in Beatles RB. They should also have smaller looking drum notes intended for use with cymbals, and an 'Authentic Drummer' title if you hit the cymbals and toms appropriately.
PSN: SuprSaiynMusashi

DVD/BD Collection: 781 discs on 349 products: 261 movies + 2,476 Episodes.
Game Collection: 618
Born and raised blu-blood


Trivia: What is Becky going to do when she gets home from school?
Trivia Archive: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=169794
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 11:29 PM   #22
foots foots is offline
Expert Member
 
May 2007
98
17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicboom View Post
i'm assuming that's because it's built on xna.

regardless, a dumb reason to skip out on rb3.

also i dont remember any timed exclusives outside of that one beatles song. then again i havent been paying much attention to rock band lately.
Rock Band 2 was a timed exclusive.

PSN = foots
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 01:05 AM   #23
toef toef is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
toef's Avatar
 
May 2008
Isla Nublar
1
4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terjyn View Post
Between the 360 favoritism and the ridiculousness that was Rock Band Unplugged for the PSP-Go, this would have to be a phenomenal game for me to even think about it.

Harmonix lost a lot of the respect I had for them over the last year or so. I used to buy up everything from them I could get my hands on, and lately I just...don't.
Aside from the 360 favoritisms you've mentioned, I've also lost interest in Harmonix due to feeling like their success has gone to their head. Instead of being innovative, they're focused more on how to milk the franchise as much as they can.

Guitar Hero was innovative.
Rock Band took it to another level.
Rock Band 2 was a rush-job, because they were afraid of Guitar Hero: World Tour.

The Beatles: Rock Band was hyped as something new and different, and it ended up being the same old Rock Band, with retro-styled buttons on the screen.

I remember reading that the next game would include more to teach people how to play instruments, but unless they are releasing all new controllers, I fail to see how playing a 5-button guitar controller, or a 4-pad drum set is going to teach anyone anything.

And since I've already played the piano for 20 years, and have self-taught myself other instruments over the years, I don't need a game to teach me. So for me to be interested in the game, there has to be something else to it.
I don't make monkeys, I just train 'em.
If you're interested, there might be a Donkey Kong kill screen in a couple minutes.
"I have priorities other than blurays." -- some guy that bought movies at Target at 8am, on release day

Don't even think about quoting me
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 01:37 PM   #24
ckenisell ckenisell is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
ckenisell's Avatar
 
Jun 2007
Round Rock, TX
368
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by toef View Post
And since I've already played the piano for 20 years, and have self-taught myself other instruments over the years...
You just described me. LOL

However, I would like to learn MORE instruments. Particularly the drums. So, I would love more instruction.
Chet

BD 3D: This ain't yo momma's 3D!!! ;)
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 04:44 AM   #25
Petra_Kalbrain Petra_Kalbrain is online now
Blu-ray Prince
 
Petra_Kalbrain's Avatar
 
Jul 2007
Vancouver, BC
504
3
14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another_Dude View Post
The game RB2 was a 360 timed exclusive, "All You Need Is Love" was an exclusive, and you still can't get the Who's Superbowl Smashup on the PS3. The stage kit and several of the higher end peripherals are 360 only. While RB Network is 360 only due to the technology, the songs used are timed exclusive.

Also, a Lady Gaga 4-pack and Cartman's "Pokerface" was announced today for all systems.

You may be right, but only mostly.

The only reason the Who's Superbowl Smashup was delayed on PS3 is because Sony themselves discovered a potentially massive flaw with the software of the track for their system. So, it has nothing to do with exclusivity. It has to do with a problem that could have caused issues with the systems themselves. They have stated that they are working on it for PSN release as soon as possible. I'm guessing that said flaw may have been bad enough to force them to start from scratch on the charting.

As for the franchise? I'm still 100% behind it. I'll pick up Rock Band 3 if the current content is compatible with it (I have over 550 songs now). I still purchase content weekly, but the amount has decreased with the lack of "known" content released. I'm still a HUGE fan of the genre.

P.S. CARTMAN'S VERSION OF POKER FACE IS GOING TO BE A LOT OF FUN!
HT EQUIPMENT: Sony Bravia KDL-52W3000, Onkyo 805, B&W M-1s & AS-2 Sub, 60GB PS3, Toshiba HD-A2

FOR SALE/TRADE THREAD: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=55884
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 04:33 PM   #26
jono_0101 jono_0101 is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Aug 2008
St. Louis
164
7
Default

i guess i never really paid that much attention to the 360 favoritism and just enjoyed the game, ill be getting RB3 regardless, i dont think them getting extra things and getting exclusives or timed exclusives is a good enough reason for me to miss out on playing it altogether, if i had a 360 i might buy it for that system though
OLD PSN ID: ANEWHOPE182
NEW PSN ID: gbj84314

Words of Wisdom:
"knifing your girlfriend and then sicking dogs on her is not the way to get laid"-forum member Xerios
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 06:18 PM   #27
Cordre69 Cordre69 is offline
Power Member
 
Cordre69's Avatar
 
Aug 2007
Livermore, CA
532
1
Default

Does anyone have a link to that site that lets you save which DLC you have for Rock Band? I think it'd be interesting to post our lists to see what types of music we all like, instead of always acting all surprised when someone likes/dislikes a certain song.
Ohhh everybody wants my Nummy Yum Yums~
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 10:21 PM   #28
GLaDOS GLaDOS is offline
Blu-ray Baron
 
GLaDOS's Avatar
 
May 2009
Fujiwara Tofu Shop
99
5
Default

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/05/25/ke...emo/2#comments

Quote:
Dookieheads (that's what Green Day fans are colloquially referred to, right?) who downloaded the two-track Green Day: Rock Band demo from Xbox Live Marketplace today (gold subscribers only) found a little bonus waiting for them when they exited the demo: The teaser image posted above. Alongside the series' four iconic instrument logos is a whole new symbol, which seems to indicate that keyboards (or perhaps ... keytars?) will be added to Rock Band 3.

You can check out the demo, which includes the songs "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" and "Welcome to Paradise," to see the teaser firsthand, and to start imagining all the wonderful implications a Rock Band keyboard might have.
You can see the teaser image in the link. In the meantime, since we're going to have keyboards/piano/keytars on Rock Band 3, I'm betting more bands like Yes and hopefully Pink Floyd will be introduced in the game. Roundabout anyone?
My Top 5 Movies of 2017: Dunkirk | Blade Runner 2049 | Logan | Baby Driver | Your Name (Kimi no Nawa)

My Current Avatar: Rei Ayanami from Neon Genesis Evangelion

A lot of people ask me where I get my username from... you're welcome.
PSN ID: kotsedriver
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 10:41 PM   #29
toef toef is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
toef's Avatar
 
May 2008
Isla Nublar
1
4
Default

The addition of a keyboard does nothing for me. I hope they're not counting on that as being the big new feature to breathe new life into these games.

I'll reserve final judgment on the new controller until I see it, but I'm highly skeptical about anyone successfully adding a keyboard controller into the game. To make it practical for people to use, it has to be simplified down to a few keys. But if it's reduced too much, it's somewhat pointless, isn't it?

I've said it before, but the guitar controller at least roughly simulates playing a guitar. You strum, you move your hand a bit. You wear it around your neck.

The drum controller roughly simulates playing the drums. You sit down, hold sticks in your hands, and bang on stuff.

How is the keyboard controller going to work? One hand or two? 5 buttons? 10 buttons? How big is this thing going to be?

Right now I have a hard time imagining it being anything other than a gimmick to add something new into a genre of games that's gotten stale over the last year or two.

And let's not forget that they make a killing on the peripherals, which is a big reason why their revenues for Rock Band 2 weren't as high as they were hoping (because most people just bought the game, not the new instruments). By incorporating a new instrument into the game, you can at least make sure people buy 1 new instrument, even if they plan on using their old ones.
I don't make monkeys, I just train 'em.
If you're interested, there might be a Donkey Kong kill screen in a couple minutes.
"I have priorities other than blurays." -- some guy that bought movies at Target at 8am, on release day

Don't even think about quoting me
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 02:00 AM   #30
Icemage Icemage is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Jul 2007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by toef View Post
The addition of a keyboard does nothing for me. I hope they're not counting on that as being the big new feature to breathe new life into these games.

I'll reserve final judgment on the new controller until I see it, but I'm highly skeptical about anyone successfully adding a keyboard controller into the game. To make it practical for people to use, it has to be simplified down to a few keys. But if it's reduced too much, it's somewhat pointless, isn't it?

I've said it before, but the guitar controller at least roughly simulates playing a guitar. You strum, you move your hand a bit. You wear it around your neck.

The drum controller roughly simulates playing the drums. You sit down, hold sticks in your hands, and bang on stuff.

How is the keyboard controller going to work? One hand or two? 5 buttons? 10 buttons? How big is this thing going to be?

Right now I have a hard time imagining it being anything other than a gimmick to add something new into a genre of games that's gotten stale over the last year or two.

And let's not forget that they make a killing on the peripherals, which is a big reason why their revenues for Rock Band 2 weren't as high as they were hoping (because most people just bought the game, not the new instruments). By incorporating a new instrument into the game, you can at least make sure people buy 1 new instrument, even if they plan on using their old ones.
Actually, did you know that the vocal charts for Rock Band are charted as MIDI sequences?

I strongly suspect that what Harmonix may do is offer a MIDI adapter for a real keyboard that has a MIDI plug, so you can use a real instrument to play the game.

Also, Harmonix/EA probably didn't make much if any money on the peripherals, especially the drum sets, which were way too flimsy when subjected to the way the average person abuses their stuff (by comparison, my RB1 drum kit still works flawlessly to this day, but I only play sparingly).
PS3: 100+ games, 100+ movies. Pure HD bliss!
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 02:07 AM   #31
toef toef is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
toef's Avatar
 
May 2008
Isla Nublar
1
4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icemage View Post
Actually, did you know that the vocal charts for Rock Band are charted as MIDI sequences?

I strongly suspect that what Harmonix may do is offer a MIDI adapter for a real keyboard that has a MIDI plug, so you can use a real instrument to play the game.

Also, Harmonix/EA probably didn't make much if any money on the peripherals, especially the drum sets, which were way too flimsy when subjected to the way the average person abuses their stuff (by comparison, my RB1 drum kit still works flawlessly to this day, but I only play sparingly).
That's interesting. I didn't know that. I'm not really sure what use plugging in a keyboard would be, except maybe to jam along with the game, which I could do anyway with a CD, can't I?

I don't want to sound like I'm crapping on the game though, because we still don't really know anything about it. Maybe it will end up being pretty cool.
I don't make monkeys, I just train 'em.
If you're interested, there might be a Donkey Kong kill screen in a couple minutes.
"I have priorities other than blurays." -- some guy that bought movies at Target at 8am, on release day

Don't even think about quoting me
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 04:03 AM   #32
Icemage Icemage is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Jul 2007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by toef View Post
That's interesting. I didn't know that. I'm not really sure what use plugging in a keyboard would be, except maybe to jam along with the game, which I could do anyway with a CD, can't I?

I don't want to sound like I'm crapping on the game though, because we still don't really know anything about it. Maybe it will end up being pretty cool.
I'm just pointing out the possibility that you may actually be to use a REAL keyboard to play the new keyboard instrument part. The game engine already knows what a MIDI sequence is - it's not a far leap of logic to stream in MIDI input from a real keyboard for use in gameplay and scoring purposes.

So perhaps instead of using a controller, you're actually playing the real thing (which I interpreted to be your objection to the addition of keyboard in the post I quoted). It's not like real keyboards are all that expensive (unless you want one of those reaaaally expensive decks), and it would absolve them of the need to produce a "fake plastic instrument" version - all you'd need is a real keyboard that has a MIDI out, and a MIDI-to-USB adapter for the game.
PS3: 100+ games, 100+ movies. Pure HD bliss!
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 10:43 AM   #33
Cordre69 Cordre69 is offline
Power Member
 
Cordre69's Avatar
 
Aug 2007
Livermore, CA
532
1
Default

Keyboard would be neat since several of my friends play. I also would love to learn, so it would get me used to actually playing one. I can already read music and find the keys, but I need practice and I don't like playing a piano to do so since everyone can hear me suck.

I play Keyboard Mania in the arcade a lot, which is a good size for a game controller.

I hope if they make new instruments that they actually work. I have gone through 2 RB drum sets and 3 from RB2. I have gone through 8 (!) RB2 guitars, but still use the one from RB1 regularly. The guitars always have some issue like automatically (or never) triggering Star Power, or toggling the WAH WAH settings randomly. The drum pads just plain wear out.
Ohhh everybody wants my Nummy Yum Yums~
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 12:12 PM   #34
Petra_Kalbrain Petra_Kalbrain is online now
Blu-ray Prince
 
Petra_Kalbrain's Avatar
 
Jul 2007
Vancouver, BC
504
3
14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cordre69 View Post
Does anyone have a link to that site that lets you save which DLC you have for Rock Band? I think it'd be interesting to post our lists to see what types of music we all like, instead of always acting all surprised when someone likes/dislikes a certain song.
A couple of months late, but here is the link which you had requested: http://dlcquickplay.com/
HT EQUIPMENT: Sony Bravia KDL-52W3000, Onkyo 805, B&W M-1s & AS-2 Sub, 60GB PS3, Toshiba HD-A2

FOR SALE/TRADE THREAD: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=55884
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 05:48 AM   #35
toef toef is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
toef's Avatar
 
May 2008
Isla Nublar
1
4
Default

Some info from Ars Technica about Rock Band 3, coming from their mole...

1) it's not a keyboard, it's a keytar

2) Mad Catz will be making the peripherals

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2...w-pro-mode.ars
I don't make monkeys, I just train 'em.
If you're interested, there might be a Donkey Kong kill screen in a couple minutes.
"I have priorities other than blurays." -- some guy that bought movies at Target at 8am, on release day

Don't even think about quoting me
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 07:02 PM   #36
WeApOn WeApOn is offline
Special Member
 
WeApOn's Avatar
 
Aug 2006
Rhode Island, USA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by toef View Post
Some info from Ars Technica about Rock Band 3, coming from their mole...

1) it's not a keyboard, it's a keytar

2) Mad Catz will be making the peripherals

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2...w-pro-mode.ars
That's crap.

But I knew it had to be something like that, because they're going to need it to double as a guitar. Not every song would have keyboard -- that's ridiculous. And there's no way they can add anything else to the already overcrowded UI.

Songs will very likely feature guitar/guitar or sometimes keyboard/guitar. This is the least impressive decision I think HMX has made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icemage View Post
I strongly suspect that what Harmonix may do is offer a MIDI adapter for a real keyboard that has a MIDI plug, so you can use a real instrument to play the game.
That would really have been awesome, but that would add so many layers of complication and hardware compatibility issues. For example they would have to determine who has a full 88 keys and who has less, then scale the song chart down to that.

Unless they have a standardized keyboard or specific peripheral for the game, it would be quite difficult.

Last edited by WeApOn; 05-27-2010 at 07:12 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 10:28 PM   #37
kingofgrills kingofgrills is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
kingofgrills's Avatar
 
Dec 2007
PDX
31
76
30
Default

Ugh, I was really hoping for a true keyboard, like one modelled after a Hammond B3 Organ. I wasn't expecting an 80's holdover key-tar.

I guess I'll have to see pricing, as well as demos before plunking down $$ for it. Still, if Harmonix pulls it off correctly, it could be entertaining. If they really wanted to add a higher entertainment value, they should incorporate the eye toy for online performances. That would give the online die hards a shot in the arm.
Sony Grand Wega SXRD KDS 50-A2000 1080p
Yamaha HTR-6080 7.1 Ch Natural Sound Receiver
Sony PS4 Pro / Yamaha DVD-S2500 SACD Player
Monster Reference Power Conditioner 3500 Mk II
Aurasound LSM-828M Standmounters, LSC-537M Centers F & R, LSB-527M SL & SR, all w/Line Source ribbon tweeters / Realistic Super Tweeters
XLO Electric Reference Speaker Cables
Miller & Kriesel MX-125 Mk. II & MX-70B Subwoofers
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 03:18 AM   #38
Icemage Icemage is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Jul 2007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeApOn View Post
That would really have been awesome, but that would add so many layers of complication and hardware compatibility issues. For example they would have to determine who has a full 88 keys and who has less, then scale the song chart down to that.

Unless they have a standardized keyboard or specific peripheral for the game, it would be quite difficult.
I wouldn't say all hope is lost. As with vocals, they could opt to shift songs down to a single octave (so as long as you're on the right key, it doesn't matter what octave you're playing in). That would make sense, as not all keyboards have a similar range or similar number of keys. And besides, even 8 keys would make keyboard the most technically difficult of all instruments in the game.
PS3: 100+ games, 100+ movies. Pure HD bliss!
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 03:03 PM   #39
WeApOn WeApOn is offline
Special Member
 
WeApOn's Avatar
 
Aug 2006
Rhode Island, USA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icemage View Post
I wouldn't say all hope is lost. As with vocals, they could opt to shift songs down to a single octave (so as long as you're on the right key, it doesn't matter what octave you're playing in). That would make sense, as not all keyboards have a similar range or similar number of keys. And besides, even 8 keys would make keyboard the most technically difficult of all instruments in the game.
True, you're right that they do that with vocals. As long as they have at least one full octave it would work. It's not like you're playing a full guitar either, and especially not a full drumset.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 06:08 PM   #40
caliblue15 caliblue15 is offline
Blu-ray Knight
 
caliblue15's Avatar
 
Dec 2007
12
85
1
6
Send a message via AIM to caliblue15 Send a message via MSN to caliblue15 Send a message via Yahoo to caliblue15
Default

You could also just put the keytar on a stand.. boom keyboard...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Playstation MVP - http://us.playstation.com/ambassador...nd-conditions/

Kansas State Wildcats - Rebuilding
Kansas City Chiefs - 8-0
Kansas City Royals- A Winning Season!
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS3

Similar Threads
thread Forum Thread Starter Replies Last Post
Rock Band 2 Megathread PS3 dgator783 4151 10-17-2010 09:47 PM
Rock Band Megathread PS3 Jonzy 2158 07-24-2009 08:07 PM
Split/Second - Megathread - Just Announced! PS3 caliblue15 15 03-24-2009 11:09 PM
PS3 Rock Band Looking For A Band PS3 Paris N Flames 7 09-10-2008 04:54 PM


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:58 PM.